Western Reserve coach on leave. Accused of vaping THC in bathroom.

Determining success based off of playoffs is “cherry picking” right? That’s what I was told by you...
At least get there. Wb is a program that hasn’t been there in a decade and that falls on the coach. So for people to constantly prop this guy up like he has a state title is funny. He doesn’t even have a playoff apparence. You don’t follow hake with someone like that unless it’s a guy already on staff.

Is he below 500 at West Branch? In that conference? Yeaaahhhh..... alrighty
How many Varsity football games have you coached?? You sure sound like you know an awful lot without any first hand experience from that situation. You have to have kids out, and talented kids at that. If the school doesn’t support the program, it will fail.....so is West Branch. Why don’t you ask some of their best players their thoughts on Dota....you might be surprised. And btw, he made a playoff appearance at Harding with an 8-2 record, and Lolol, got fired after doing so. Be careful who you criticize, I was simply saying he is a very qualified candidate. If you don’t believe so that’s fine, but don’t be critical of someone that you know nothing about....

How many Varsity football games have you coached?? You sure sound like you know an awful lot without any first hand experience from that situation. You have to have kids out, and talented kids at that. If the school doesn’t support the program, it will fail.....so is West Branch. Why don’t you ask some of their best players their thoughts on Dota....you might be surprised. And btw, he made a playoff appearance at Harding with an 8-2 record, and Lolol, got fired after doing so. Be careful who you criticize, I was simply saying he is a very qualified candidate. If you don’t believe so that’s fine, but don’t be critical of someone that you know nothing about....
How do you know what anyone knows about the guy? You don’t, there’s a couple people on here that actually do know him, yes he’s an absolute players coach and players do like him, that doesn’t always mean that you’re a great “head coach” is he better then what WB has now? Absolutely but that’s not saying much, WB usually has at least a decent amount of skill and under achieve every single year, if you really want to go back and fourth I can scroll through the west branch stuff from 2 years ago and show you what a lot of WB faithful were saying about your beloved coach as well

Also you don’t know who has coached and who hasn’t coached either, I understand you like the guy and god bless your soul for that, but this site is intended for people to show their opinions and be critical, there’s a lot of jobs he’s put in for and hasn’t gotten, if it’s too hot in the yappi kitchen for you then get out

I know plenty about him. He coached in Struthers. Wasn’t the HC but was in Struthers not long ago. I know him.

2 seasons of more than 6 wins in 12 seasons as a HC? I'm not sure where the Dota love comes from either. Just because you've done something for a long time doesn't make you good at it.

Also you don’t know who has coached and who hasn’t coached either, I understand you like the guy and god bless your soul for that, but this site is intended for people to show their opinions and be critical, there’s a lot of jobs he’s put in for and hasn’t gotten, if it’s too hot in the yappi kitchen for you then get out
LOL never too hot in the kitchen. I've been a Varsity coach, and know many, many coaches. I had two younger relatives play for the man, and im simply giving my opinion, just like the rest of you. It is much more than just wins and losses. Not many going to the NFL or even college for that matter from any of these small schools, especially West Branch, Western Reserve, Struthers, etc. Better teach them a little about life as well. Most of them aren't getting that at home.
Best of luck to Western Reserve in their coaching search.
Itzme, most of the love comes for how much the kids that play for him respect him, and what he does for them off of the field....... remember just because you don't always win doesn't make you a bad coach either. Talent plays into it. It's all good. I respect your opinions.

LOL never too hot in the kitchen. I've been a Varsity coach, and know many, many coaches. I had two younger relatives play for the man, and im simply giving my opinion, just like the rest of you. It is much more than just wins and losses. Not many going to the NFL or even college for that matter from any of these small schools, especially West Branch, Western Reserve, Struthers, etc. Better teach them a little about life as well. Most of them aren't getting that at home.
Itzme, most of the love comes for how much the kids that play for him respect him, and what he does for them off of the field....... remember just because you don't always win doesn't make you a bad coach either. Talent plays into it. It's all good. I respect your opinions.
Struthers coach from last year just went to the dolphins. I understand you want to give your opinions and that’s fine, but don’t get upset when people give theirs and have facts to back up what they are saying. Some people on here just say whatever and sound dumb, but the ones with facts to back things up are the ones to actually listen to what they say

Struthers coach from last year just went to the dolphins. I understand you want to give your opinions and that’s fine, but don’t get upset when people give theirs and have facts to back up what they are saying. Some people on here just say whatever and sound dumb, but the ones with facts to back things up are the ones to actually listen to what they say

Your opinion on him is not fact.

My point exactly.... so one person in how many years, knows someone, and gets a job with the dolphins. Good for him. If you read my post, i said "Not many"....that is fact. Fact "It's not always about wins and losses" Fact: "Better teach them about life" Fact: "Most of them arent getting that at home" .......i know this from being a Varsity Coach. Fact: "Talent plays into it" Fact: "Kids love the guy" I'm not saying whatever and sounding dumb.

guyinahoodie......... Thank You!!!

So why did they have the special board meeting last night? All they told the public was that they are working with a lawyer on the matter, what did that accomplish other than upsetting the public?

Yes coaching is about more than wins and losses! But the determining factor that decides if keep your job or earn a job is wins and losses. You should know that mr former varsity coach lol some schools don’t care much about winning games I guess. Some use football as a feeder for most of their athletic programs so it’s imperative that butts are in the seats.

Seems like someone close to a certain coach is rallying for him to get this job. Wins are the way people judge coaches mostly. probabaly 80%. The rest is kids staying out of trouble at school, grades, and getting kids into college. But if you dont win enough, all those things get thrown out the window. Plus, most high school football coaching positions are based on who you know and who your name is. Heck, just look at who got the struthers job over a much more experienced and successful head coach.

It appears, after 12 seasons, that he is better off as an assistant than a HC. Which is totally fine. Plenty of assistant coaches care about their players on & off the field. He is one of them. Talent certainly plays into the wins & losses but so does elevating your talent in years that it needs to be or put your talent in a different position to lead to success or when all things are pretty even, where is the mismatch that you can exploit (or protect) to lead to a win. I watched him get out coached and look unprepared for years at WGH. 4-17-1 vs. teams with a winning record. I didn't see him much while at West Branch but I could already guess how it'd go. 8-33 vs teams with winning records. Is Head Coaching more than just the wins and losses? No doubt. But its a big part of it unless you are at a program that doesnt care much about football.

Yes coaching is about more than wins and losses! But the determining factor that decides if keep your job or earn a job is wins and losses. You should know that mr former varsity coach lol some schools don’t care much about winning games I guess. Some use football as a feeder for most of their athletic programs so it’s imperative that butts are in the seats.
I agree that is how they are usually judged. No need to be throwing stones. I was a varsity coach. That only means i have some experience and have witnessed some of the politics involved. Not bragging about it at all. Actually glad to be out of it for years now. Funner to sit in the stands and listen to all of the armchair QB dads, as im sure youve heard as well!! :):)You are correct, some schools dont care about winning as much as they care about having a good ole boy coaching. That is what appears to have happened to Dota. They simply didnt support his program like they should have, and then used his record against him. And yes it's the biggest $$ maker in most any school.

I'd like to put my two cents in on this one...I lived next door to this guy when we were both in high school. For one season we were on the same track team; I was a freshman, he was a senior. I say this sincerely - he was the best team captain I've ever seen in my life, and I can only imagine he must be one heck of a coach. Sometimes I think there's an air of self-righteousness in people who can only scream for punishment and serve no mercy. His record shows that he's good for the kids and good for the school...and from having known him personally years ago, I can also add that he's a good guy. He's had his public embarrassment and fair share of stress...over something that, as far as we know, is a one time deal. I think it would ultimately be in everybody's best interests to give him a chance.

I'd like to put my two cents in on this one...I lived next door to this guy when we were both in high school. For one season we were on the same track team; I was a freshman, he was a senior. I say this sincerely - he was the best team captain I've ever seen in my life, and I can only imagine he must be one heck of a coach. Sometimes I think there's an air of self-righteousness in people who can only scream for punishment and serve no mercy. His record shows that he's good for the kids and good for the school...and from having known him personally years ago, I can also add that he's a good guy. He's had his public embarrassment and fair share of stress...over something that, as far as we know, is a one time deal. I think it would ultimately be in everybody's best interests to give him a chance.

tenor.gif

That opinion was not worth the two cents.

You can’t sell me on a one tiMe thing if it happens at school, that means he has a problem if he can’t wait 7 hours to do it at home

Regardless of his prowess as a team captain or if he is a good guy or not, the giving him a second chance ship has sailed. His job has been posted. The idea that this was a one time thing is utterly laughable. If, and it would be the biggest if ever, it was the first time he decided to get high and figured that to do it in school, while at work, around kids was the way to go, the he is an even bigger idiot than we know that he is.

Regardless of his prowess as a team captain or if he is a good guy or not, the giving him a second chance ship has sailed. His job has been posted. The idea that this was a one time thing is utterly laughable. If, and it would be the biggest if ever, it was the first time he decided to get high and figured that to do it in school, while at work, around kids was the way to go, the he is an even bigger idiot than we know that he is.
His using at the school may have been a one time deal, which I thought would have been understood by what I wrote. Sorry to hear they posted his job...and sorry to see so many people overshadowing his several years of successful teaching and coaching by this one thing. But I know the decision comes as a celebration to a gang of internet trolls who never knew him personally and choose not to consider the human factor involved. Some would say the good he did for that school and community outweighs the bad, and that the kids will actually suffer for having to lose a coach with an impressive record...but it's more important to make an example out him.

His using at the school may have been a one time deal, which I thought would have been understood by what I wrote. Sorry to hear they posted his job...and sorry to see so many people overshadowing his several years of successful teaching and coaching by this one thing. But I know the decision comes as a celebration to a gang of internet trolls who never knew him personally and choose not to consider the human factor involved. Some would say the good he did for that school and community outweighs the bad, and that the kids will actually suffer for having to lose a coach with an impressive record...but it's more important to make an example out him.
Eh. Insert any coach in this scenario and most of the people would have the same reaction. Sure, some are taking personal shots at the person, but most agree that the action of the person is the reason he's been relieved of his job. He made his bed, he's sleeping in it. Also, this whole "one time thing" and "one thing" is bogus. Obviously there is no evidence of what I'm about to say, but this is just the "one time" he got caught. What is he teaching his players? What impact is he making on the students and student athletes? Drugs are cool! Nah. No remorse here. The good he did for that school and community is minuscule compared to what happened here. The kids will suffer, but that's because of their fearless leader's decisions, not because the administration dismissed him. This is what's wrong in this world. Placing blame everywhere except where it needs to be - in this fool's lap.

He made an example out of himself. He was stupid enough to do drugs on school property, that negates any and all "good" he may have done for the school and community. Just because he won games snd the kids like him doesn't give him license to do whatever he wants at the school, first time or not. Which I'm willing to bet it wasn't. No one should feel bad that he lost his job, no one held a gun to his head and told him to go to the bathroom and inhale.

Are people really stupid enough to defend this guy?
Apparently so. I don't think everyone quite gets the gravity of the situation. Having kids in high and elementary schools, plus having gone through all the things that are needed to get coaching credentials in Ohio, it's an absolute no brainer that this guy is gone. He will have a hard time getting another coaching job at anything affiliated with any school and he can probably forget about teaching ever again. It's that serious. But apparently he's done some good and anyone who thinks different are internet trolls.

I'm genuinely curious, and you might not be able to answer since you have/had a personal relationship with this coach, but what is your impression on teachers who have sex with their students? Is it ok if they have good teaching records and that's the only vice they have? Or school bus drivers who use illegal substances? That's ok if the have a good driving record and only get caught one time, right? Or the principal/superintendent who takes a payoff to hire someone's kid? We can let that go if it's only done once during a stellar career, right?

Grandpa had a phrase that I hear from time to time and it makes me smile & cringe (because I know I fall short) all at the same time - "Own it. You did it, now you gotta own it."

He already dug his own grave, rest of us are just kicking dirt on it as we pass by.

I'm genuinely curious, and you might not be able to answer since you have/had a personal relationship with this coach, but what is your impression on teachers who have sex with their students? Is it ok if they have good teaching records and that's the only vice they have? Or school bus drivers who use illegal substances? That's ok if the have a good driving record and only get caught one time, right? Or the principal/superintendent who takes a payoff to hire someone's kid? We can let that go if it's only done once during a stellar career, right?

Grandpa had a phrase that I hear from time to time and it makes me smile & cringe (because I know I fall short) all at the same time - "Own it. You did it, now you gotta own it."

He already dug his own grave, rest of us are just kicking dirt on it as we pass by.
None of the things you listed would be worthy of working through giving someone a second chance, because those things all put kids in immediate danger (the payoff to hire somebody may not count as "immediate danger" but still damaging in its own right). I would have to concede that your logic carries over if Andy had been accused of distributing...but what he did, he did by himself, to himself, and to compare that to raping a minor is a bit ridiculous. The problem we have here is that people aren't seeing anything in between total forgiveness and complete termination with no chance of return. They could have had him off for a time with mandatory rehab and some date in the future to return, and that would have been a reasonable middle ground. Everybody seems to be discarding his successful coaching career as if it shouldn't be a factor...it boosts morale for the kids to have a coach who is able to motivate and train them to win, which he has. Part of the decision for getting rid of an employee is an honest analysis of whether or not he/she is an asset to whatever operation you are trying to run. It makes sense that they would want to work with someone who adds value.

None of the things you listed would be worthy of working through giving someone a second chance, because those things all put kids in immediate danger (the payoff to hire somebody may not count as "immediate danger" but still damaging in its own right). I would have to concede that your logic carries over if Andy had been accused of distributing...but what he did, he did by himself, to himself, and to compare that to raping a minor is a bit ridiculous. The problem we have here is that people aren't seeing anything in between total forgiveness and complete termination with no chance of return. They could have had him off for a time with mandatory rehab and some date in the future to return, and that would have been a reasonable middle ground. Everybody seems to be discarding his successful coaching career as if it shouldn't be a factor...it boosts morale for the kids to have a coach who is able to motivate and train them to win, which he has. Part of the decision for getting rid of an employee is an honest analysis of whether or not he/she is an asset to whatever operation you are trying to run. It makes sense that they would want to work with someone who adds value.
So being impared and in charge of minors' safety isn't an issue?

Ok, got it.

If you have kids, how would you feel if you hired a babysitter and when u came home, they were high while watching your kids? Would you "give that person a second chance" and have them watch your kids again because of "one mistake?"