Western Reserve coach on leave. Accused of vaping THC in bathroom.

Regardless if what form the drug was in, they should have arrested him, not have an employee drive him home since he was intoxicated. They should have hit him with multiple charges such as child endangerment, possession of the THC, and possession of paraphernalia at the very least. I'd probably throw in contributing to the delinquency of minor also since it was at school. If he is too intoxicated to drive himself home, then he is too intoxicated to be in charge of children.

Again, I'm sure if it were a student, they'd be arrested. They probably would have arrested any other adult too and thrown the book at them while making it VERY public that this type of behavior won't be tolerated.

This entire situation is embarrassing to say the least.
Imagine if it were the custodian vaping THC in the restroom..... Would he have gotten the same treatment? I seriously doubt it.

What if it were a student doing it? I could almost guarantee the kid would be thrown out of school, we’re supposed to hold adults at a higher standard, especially teachers and coaches or they wouldn’t make you do a background check before being approved

Those year long union processes you speak of are for minor things. If you physically or sexually assault a child, fired immediately. If you use drugs on campus, fired immediately. Of course there are investigations to ensure that any and all allegations are true, but he admitted to it and they have physical evidence. Case Closed. Dismissed. Once again, this is the administration and BOE not having a spine.

What would the BOE be sued for? Speaking publicly about a crime that a public employee publicly admitted to, where his publicly available discipline letter was already made public to the media? They can definitely speak on the matter, they are legally allowed to state facts and can also state their opinions. The coach can go ahead and sue if he wanted and he'd lose or the case would get thrown out.
The BOE released a statement and the letter documenting it all describes the details. Why would they speak more until the board votes to terminate him? No matter the offense, the employee has due process. I’m guessing he has something like two weeks or more to respond to that letter and nothing official can happen until that plays it’s self out. They will fire him once his due process is exhausted. He can appeal beyond that even through the courts and that process can take a long time. People with no stake in the game want to see blood right now but a board of education would be wise to let the process play out and keep its mouth shut.

The BOE released a statement and the letter documenting it all describes the details. Why would they speak more until the board votes to terminate him? No matter the offense, the employee has due process. I’m guessing he has something like two weeks or more to respond to that letter and nothing official can happen until that plays it’s self out. They will fire him once his due process is exhausted. He can appeal beyond that even through the courts and that process can take a long time. People with no stake in the game want to see blood right now but a board of education would be wise to let the process play out and keep its mouth shut.
You are correct, 2 weeks sounds about right for him to respond/appeal. The Board should speak more to inform the public of their intentions and process because 1. They are elected by the taxpayers 2. To re-assure the public that this won't be tolerated and student safety is truly their #1 priority. It just seems this is all hush-hush, which the general public doesn't like.

I also like to think that everyone who lives in that district has stake in it since they are paying salaries of BOE, and paying the coach's salary since he was suspended with pay.

I have not gone through Western Reserve's Teacher's contract, but most districts are similar. Most BOEs have the option in severe cases, to suspend without pay; which probably should have been done to appease the public and to set the standard.

You are correct, 2 weeks sounds about right for him to respond/appeal. The Board should speak more to inform the public of their intentions and process because 1. They are elected by the taxpayers 2. To re-assure the public that this won't be tolerated and student safety is truly their #1 priority. It just seems this is all hush-hush, which the general public doesn't like.

I also like to think that everyone who lives in that district has stake in it since they are paying salaries of BOE, and paying the coach's salary since he was suspended with pay.

I have not gone through Western Reserve's Teacher's contract, but most districts are similar. Most BOEs have the option in severe cases, to suspend without pay; which probably should have been done to appease the public and to set the standard.
Why take the chance ... courts have ruled on many occasion when school district acted in a manner of predetermined guilt before all due process has been done ... yes, I would think that this is an open and shut case ... but school districts can not afford to open themselves to potential lawsuits down the road because they jumped the gun ... just let it play out ... I can't imagine it not going they way almost everybody thinks

Why take the chance ... courts have ruled on many occasion when school district acted in a manner of predetermined guilt before all due process has been done ... yes, I would think that this is an open and shut case ... but school districts can not afford to open themselves to potential lawsuits down the road because they jumped the gun ... just let it play out ... I can't imagine it not going they way almost everybody thinks
Find me one court case where a school district was ruled against for commenting on information that is FACT and already released to the public.

Find me one court case where a school district was ruled against for commenting on information that is FACT and already released to the public.

I could be wrong but it seems to be pretty standard practice for school boards to meet privately in executive sessions regarding all personnel matters. Along with that, they never seem to make a comment on the situation until after an official vote for removal, if at all. I would guess this is at the recommendation of the district's legal counsel.

Having been in a similar situation that was not education related, lawyers will tell you not to make ANY comment except final, factual comment/statements. Even if it does not affect the criminal proceedings (if any) any one who speaks publicly is opening themselves up for civil liability. "Even if they said the truth, if your feelings got hurt we can make them pay" - A sleazy lawyer somewhere, probably.

They wouldn't open the job just to see whose interested. I'd say he's done coaching and his teaching job is in limbo pending the outcome of the investigation

Bring back Kopachy! Looks like he is trying to get back into the area considering he applied for every job that has been open. He was the one that set up the program for Hake to take over. Everyone knows Coach K is the reason WR is one of the best small school programs in the state. If he had some of the teams Hake had they would probably have 2 state titles. They should be begging him to come back.
You are absolutely correct. Kopachy built the foundation at WR before going to Salem. This should be "Easy Picking" if Kopachy is interested.

Don't believe they should have to "let him go". Most supplemental contracts are on a year to year basis and automatically non-renewed each year. Unless he is one of the few head coaches that have a multi year contract which is rare.

Don't believe they should have to "let him go". Most supplemental contracts are on a year to year basis and automatically non-renewed each year. Unless he is one of the few head coaches that have a multi year contract which is rare.

I could be wrong, but I think in public schools associated with the OEA all supplementals are one year deals. He probably would not sign a new contract until the summer for the upcoming season. Like you said, they are probably waiting until the February board meeting. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't already turned in resignation letter that they will vote to accept at the next meeting.

I could be wrong, but I think in public schools associated with the OEA all supplementals are one year deals. He probably would not sign a new contract until the summer for the upcoming season. Like you said, they are probably waiting until the February board meeting. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't already turned in resignation letter that they will vote to accept at the next meeting.
A supplemental coaching contract typically lasts one year, but may be up to five.

From today's (Thursday, January 30th) Vindicator:

Agenda
- Western Reserve Local School Board of Education will hold a special meeting at 6:30 p.m. today at the K-12 Library on personnel.

I'm sure there will be multiple applicants. Hoping they take a good look at DJ Dota if he applies. Did a great job at Harding, and attempted to recover West Branch's program, but from what I saw and heard never was supported there. The kids loved the guy, and respected him. Those are two pretty important factors....... I heard the kids/parents had over 600 signatures on a petition to keep him at WB, and the morons still let him go. Based on their record of 2-8 last year, I'm thinking they made a mistake........

I'm sure there will be multiple applicants. Hoping they take a good look at DJ Dota if he applies. Did a great job at Harding, and attempted to recover West Branch's program, but from what I saw and heard never was supported there. The kids loved the guy, and respected him. Those are two pretty important factors....... I heard the kids/parents had over 600 signatures on a petition to keep him at WB, and the morons still let him go. Based on their record of 2-8 last year, I'm thinking they made a mistake........

Because of the all playoff trips wb had under dota right? Dude is a sub par coach. That’s only going backwards.

Because of the all playoff trips wb had under dota right? Dude is a sub par coach. That’s only going backwards.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Have heard lots of great things about him at Columbiana and what he and the rest of the staff of former head coaches have done there. The kids love them! Besides, I doubt he leaves, his son is on the team at Columbiana.

Honestly tho 2-8 was horrible and to me the mistake was who they replaced dota with, not replacing dota in general, if dota was there they probably would have went 5-5 possibly 6-4 at best, he’s an average head coach which isn’t a bad thing there are a lot of them

Honestly tho 2-8 was horrible and to me the mistake was who they replaced dota with, not replacing dota in general, if dota was there they probably would have went 5-5 possibly 6-4 at best, he’s an average head coach which isn’t a bad thing there are a lot of them

smh...some of you wouldn't know what a good coach was if it bit you in the @$$...

smh...some of you wouldn't know what a good coach was if it bit you in the @$$...
I actually know him pretty well, a lot of the WB faithful only wanted him to stay when they found out who the new guy was going to be. Complained he couldn’t get them over the hump in a bad conference