Western Buckeye League Football 2019

Thoughts on the season so far? I’m surprised by Kenton’s 42-0 loss to Coldwater and how good Van Wert has looked. Other than that, the season is exactly what i thought it would be.
So far this season, Elida and Defiance are a bit disappointing. Both lost week 1 out of league games, and Elida's was to Delphos St. John's. Defi seemed like they were turning a corner last season as they were 4-2 to start the season, but have since lost 6 in a row.

Most of the other teams are about where I'd expect them to be -- Bath, Celina, Kenton, O-G, etc. Probably most impressed with Wapak so far. Bellefontaine, St Marys, and Van Wert is a tough way to start the season - really the toughest stretch of their schedule and so far they've made it through. They're still going to need to step it up a notch offensively come playoff season. They struggled for points against a "down" St Marys team. A team a not-so-great DII Sidney squad put 25 on.

Overall, I'd say the WBL is Wapak, SM, Van Wert, O-G, Kenton.. in that order. All have playoff potential. I'm not quite buying Shawnee yet, but I'd love for them to be a breakout team like VW was last year.

Defiance wasn’t a different team. They started 4-2 and then faced the 4 best teams in the WBL, and they only lost to OG by two points. Defiance was a borderline playoff team. If they beat Elida ( who they lost to by 4 earlier in the season) and OG, they would have made the playoffs, especially in region 10, pound for pound one of the weakest regions.

I did the math at the time and I'm pretty sure Defiance would have come up short at 6-4. Remember, Elida would've only been worth 1 win in second level points. While still miles behind the top 4 in the WBL, 6-4 looks a lot better than 4-6. There seems to be absolutely no momentum now in 2019.

Defiance in 2019 is not void of talent as it has been in recent years. They are very undisciplined, not very fundamental, and appear not to be in good shape, which leads to penalties, turnovers, bad decisions, and losses. They made VW and Napoleon look a lot better than they actually are. It appears Wapak, St. Marys, OG are the teams to beat in WBL this year, with VW not far behind. All have veteran coaches with proven track records.

Team vs team who’s better? The WBL or the MAC?

Let’s go down the list

Wapak = Coldwater
St. Mary’s > Anna
OG > Fort/Minster
Van Wert < Fort/Minster
Kenton < Marion Local
Shawnee > New Bremen

It seems pretty even. I’ll give the edge to the MAC though because they are smaller so, pound for pound, they are better. I say Wapak and Coldwater are equal because in their scrimmage they looked pretty equal, except Coldwater’s defense absolutely dominated Wapak’s offensive but since then they made changes on the line and Kaeck didn’t play in that scrimmage.

Let’s go down the list

Wapak = Coldwater
St. Mary’s > Anna
OG > Fort/Minster
Van Wert < Fort/Minster
Kenton < Marion Local
Shawnee > New Bremen

It seems pretty even. I’ll give the edge to the MAC though because they are smaller so, pound for pound, they are better. I say Wapak and Coldwater are equal because in their scrimmage they looked pretty equal, except Coldwater’s defense absolutely dominated Wapak’s offensive but since then they made changes on the line and Kaeck didn’t play in that scrimmage.
Shawnee would not be New Bremen this year.

Let’s go down the list

Wapak = Coldwater
St. Mary’s > Anna
OG > Fort/Minster
Van Wert < Fort/Minster
Kenton < Marion Local
Shawnee > New Bremen

Man, we could debate this all day long! So Wapak and Coldwater are even. Then Coldwater and St. Marys would go into overtime. But St. Marys is better than Anna (who, by the way, were preseason favorites to win the MAC). Kenton isn't as good as Marion Local, that remains to be seen. Nobody really knows anything about New Bremen or Parkway yet, even though, they are both 2-0. Well, I'll give you this, Celina is definitely 1 point better than Versailles. Even though Elida lost to St. John's who was waxed by LCC (who I don't know if they're even ranked in D6 even though they should be).

We could go on, and on...

Man, we could debate this all day long! So Wapak and Coldwater are even. Then Coldwater and St. Marys would go into overtime. But St. Marys is better than Anna (who, by the way, were preseason favorites to win the MAC). Kenton isn't as good as Marion Local, that remains to be seen. Nobody really knows anything about New Bremen or Parkway yet, even though, they are both 2-0. Well, I'll give you this, Celina is definitely 1 point better than Versailles. Even though Elida lost to St. John's who was waxed by LCC (who I don't know if they're even ranked in D6 even though they should be).

We could go on, and on...

Exactly, both conferences are so even you could argue either way lol

Both are traditionally very strong. I think I’d like to see more games Between the two.
Coldwater vs Ottawa Glandorf
Minster vs St Mary’s
Those would be great games. Many others.

WBL Finals Week 3

Shawnee 31, Defiance 6
Wapakoneta 13, Van Wert 7
Ottawa-Glandorf 30, St Marys 27
Kenton 42, Celina 14
Elida vs. Bath postponed to Saturday 7 pm

Shawnee — 3-0 (2-0)
Wapak — 3-0 (2-0)
Kenton — 2-1 (2-0)
O-G — 2-1 (2-0)
Van Wert — 2-1 (1-1)
Celina — 1-2 (0-2)
St Marys — 1-2 (0-2)
Defiance — 0-3 (0-2)

Bath — 0-2 (0-1)
Elida — 0-2 (0-1)

This week -- OG-SM looked like one heck of a game. SM has been road warriors, but unfortunately has lost back-to-back league games for the first time since 2015. OG reminded folks they're a force and not to go ahead and crown Wapak just yet. Wapak-VW had an unsurprisingly low scoring affair. Wapak D looked to be in total control, while the O continues to be MIA. VW solidified that they're a playoff contender as well. Elsewhere, Kenton found their groove and Shawnee remains unbeaten.

Next week -- the last two overall undefeated teams go head-to-head as Wapak travels to Shawnee. St Marys finally gets to break in their new stadium as they host their first home contest of the season versus Van Wert. In less exciting games, OG hosts Bath, Elida goes to Celina, and Defiance is at Kenton.

OG's Jacob Balbaugh has one heck of a fake that freezes defenders.

Riders missed a lot of tackles on a couple of plays and that was an issue that allowed OG to score twice.

Great game though.

The most interesting part I think is that St. Mary’s played their third quarterback of the season in Bubp and he just threw 3 touchdown passes. If you give St. Mary’s a passing element, they are nearly unstoppable. I wonder if they’ll keep him there and continue trying to pass.

The most interesting part I think is that St. Mary’s played their third quarterback of the season in Bubp and he just threw 3 touchdown passes. If you give St. Mary’s a passing element, they are nearly unstoppable. I wonder if they’ll keep him there and continue trying to pass.
I wonder what the St Marys records are for passing in a game. I was surprised to see them throw for 3 TD's. Watch out, Kenton! There's a new air raid threat in the WBL. :LOL: ?

WBL Finals Week 3

Shawnee 31, Defiance 6
Wapakoneta 13, Van Wert 7
Ottawa-Glandorf 30, St Marys 27
Kenton 42, Celina 14
Elida vs. Bath postponed to Saturday 7 pm
Bath 6, Elida 0 ... ending a 21-game losing skid.

Early WBL Standings
1. Shawnee — 3-0 (2-0)
1. Wapak — 3-0 (2-0)
1. Kenton — 2-1 (2-0)
1. O-G — 2-1 (2-0)
5. Van Wert — 2-1 (1-1)
5. Bath — 1-2 (1-1)
7. Celina — 1-2 (0-2)
7. St Marys — 1-2 (0-2)
7. Defiance — 0-3 (0-2)
7. Elida — 0-3 (0-2)

Kudos to the poster that stated that OG would compete for the league title. Impressive win against St. Marys.

Doesn't seem like much excitement this week in the WBL. Based on the prediction contest thread, the only real game garnering discussion is Van Wert @ St Marys. Others seem to be forgone conclusions, so it'll be interesting to see if there are any upsets. The VW-SM game should be a good one. They met twice last year with the playoffs and SM winning handily both times. VW certainly appears to have closed the gap this year -- last year they were a clear step down from both SM and Wapak. Last year, VW played Wapak incredibly close and tough. Gotta believe SM will be boosted by finally having a home game and breaking in their new stadium. Will VW play spoiler? Seems like a real toss up to me.

Doesn't seem like much excitement this week in the WBL. Based on the prediction contest thread, the only real game garnering discussion is Van Wert @ St Marys. Others seem to be forgone conclusions, so it'll be interesting to see if there are any upsets. The VW-SM game should be a good one. They met twice last year with the playoffs and SM winning handily both times. VW certainly appears to have closed the gap this year -- last year they were a clear step down from both SM and Wapak. Last year, VW played Wapak incredibly close and tough. Gotta believe SM will be boosted by finally having a home game and breaking in their new stadium. Will VW play spoiler? Seems like a real toss up to me.
After last weeks game against Van Wert Im a little hesitant to think Wapak is going to win big at Shawnee. Im afraid teams are getting film and our offense is so bland right now stop Kaeck make the other weapons win the game. It's hard to believe that the biggest school in the WBL cannot groom a throwing QB every year. I know that isnt our strength but to be able to run and pass make our team alot harder to stop. Just imagine if defenses couldnt just worry about Kaeck who is a beast but also the pass opens alot up.

After last weeks game against Van Wert Im a little hesitant to think Wapak is going to win big at Shawnee. Im afraid teams are getting film and our offense is so bland right now stop Kaeck make the other weapons win the game. It's hard to believe that the biggest school in the WBL cannot groom a throwing QB every year. I know that isnt our strength but to be able to run and pass make our team alot harder to stop. Just imagine if defenses couldnt just worry about Kaeck who is a beast but also the pass opens alot up.
While Wapak's offense does deserve a ton of scrutiny, it's worth noting how front loaded their schedule is. Their offense shouldn't have trouble at all against the middle-lower teams in the league. Running clock. They've shown they can win the WBL. They haven't shown anything this season for me to believe they're going to win the regional title. This may be an unpopular comparison, but Wapak reminds me of Brady Hoke's Michigan teams. Suffocating and elite defense, but terrible offense. Until they develop a consistent passing attack, they'll continue to be a one trick pony.

The wing t works until you go against a team like alter or someone like that than it’s can we just keep the game close with our defense. I think wapak is athletic enough to make the jump to the spread but obviously they should only change if they feel like they will get better results because obviously it works in the regular season

The wing t works until you go against a team like alter or someone like that than it’s can we just keep the game close with our defense. I think wapak is athletic enough to make the jump to the spread but obviously they should only change if they feel like they will get better results because obviously it works in the regular season
Having seen Wapak play on WOSN, they seem to run a lot of “spread”. Also not sure why everyone thinks running from the spread is some superior thing. Any offense works if the kids know what they’re doing. Of course it gives the fans a reason to think the coaches are clueless though if they don’t run it.

Having seen Wapak play on WOSN, they seem to run a lot of “spread”. Also not sure why everyone thinks running from the spread is some superior thing. Any offense works if the kids know what they’re doing. Of course it gives the fans a reason to think the coaches are clueless though if they don’t run it.
Wapak schedule stil scares me Kenton with their spread and also they have some size, OG is legit, and Celina can surprise, and next Shawnee who might be tough or just played bad teams. Going deep into the season Kaeck and Merricle playing both ways taking a toll on them 2

My issue with a wing t or bone or any strictly run offense is what do you do when you are facing a great defense who stops you? Pretty much hosed and I've sent it so many times. Those so4 of offenses tend to have zero ability to be able to throw it

My issue with a wing t or bone or any strictly run offense is what do you do when you are facing a great defense who stops you? Pretty much hosed and I've sent it so many times. Those so4 of offenses tend to have zero ability to be able to throw it
I feel that is any team with any offense. Spread teams can struggle getting that extra yard, or grinding out first downs to run the clock. The one thing to what seems like every team that is good though? They all have good coaches with good players and can play defense.

I feel that is any team with any offense. Spread teams can struggle getting that extra yard, or grinding out first downs to run the clock. The one thing to what seems like every team that is good though? They all have good coaches with good players and can play defense.
Not really.

Sure, every team has their bread and butter on offense, but it seems that teams who run the bone or wing t tend to not be able to be productive if they get stuffed.

I've seen many teams be able to shift fire offensively if their mainatays don't quite work out if they run the I, or spread. Now there are teams like Kenton who are 1 dimensional passing who run into issues.

The key isn't necessarily balance on the stat sheet, but balance in what you can do effectively.