Western Buckeye League 2021

It isnt so much the HS boys basketball and football that is a big deal with travel.

The real issue the other sports, girls sports and JH who have to make said trips during the week. I went from following a league where the travel was not bad at all to one that hour plus drives are ROUTINE and man it makes a huge difference.

Not only in the straight up time and expense, but also in the rivalry and such. Close knit leagues tend to have stronger rivalries because you have more co workers, friends, family, relatives that go to said school and it makes it more enjoyable in my opinion.

Best playoff competition ever, huh?

Using your D3 > D4 logic, did Wapak ever win a single D2 playoff game?

Cause St. Marys and Defiance have D2 titles and Celina made the Final Four. Twice.

Trotwood would be run off the field by the Fostoria, Lebanon, Walsh Jesuit, Watterson, Benedictine, Avon Lake, and Avon teams that those 3 played in the 90s and early 2000s. Then again, I wouldn't expect some kid to know that. He wasn't even born yet.
I'd have to disagree with Trotwood being run off the field by those teams.
In 2011 Trotwood one the D2 title.
In 2012 Trotwood lost by 4 to TCC in the title game. TCC only lose that year was to D1 runner up Whitmer.
In 2013 they lost the title game to a loaded ASVSM team, who beat Jesuit, Mooney, Hoban and Mass Washington.
In 2014 lost to TCC by 3 in the title game.
In 2015 lost to TCC by 8 in the semi final.
In 2016 lost to Hoban by 30, don't really need to say anything about Hoban.
In 2017 they won the D3 title and beat Pick Central in the season.
In 2018 lost to Wapak in first round.
In 2019 they won D3. They beat 6 D1 GWOC schools, one of them being Lebanon. Lost to WW, Springboro and Springfield.

That's 3 titles and 4 runner ups.

Where talking over 20 years ago for those titles and the game has change alot. None of those team you mentioned has had even close to a nine year run that Trotwood has.

I've been away from the Yappi boards since the state championships... and what did I miss? Just a new troll that's giving dave a run for his money and more talks about the extremely stable WBL going chaotic. I'm going to hard pass on those discussions. :LOL:

As for looking ahead to 2021, I agree that defending D4 state champion Van Wert should absolutely be a favorite. St Marys is top of the league. Wapak and O-G are solid programs. Kenton and Elida are right there. I'm a bit surprised to see some folks put Wapak in the top 2 or in the driver's seat. Unless they overhaul their offense and add some sort of dynamic edge, I wouldn't be worried about them if I were the other top WBL teams. Even St Marys has a more explosive pass game than Wapak. Wapak does have a solid defense, refreshed stadium, and a culture of success there and I'm sure they'll be hungry after a disappointing season. St Marys, VW, and OG just seem like safer bets to me.

Despite the awkward COVID season, I thought the coolest part in the 2020 WBL discussion thread was how unpredictable it was and how we were all caught off guard week to week. It was a competitive league that churned out a state champ. Excited to see what 2021 has.

I've been away from the Yappi boards since the state championships... and what did I miss? Just a new troll that's giving dave a run for his money and more talks about the extremely stable WBL going chaotic. I'm going to hard pass on those discussions. :LOL:

As for looking ahead to 2021, I agree that defending D4 state champion Van Wert should absolutely be a favorite. St Marys is top of the league. Wapak and O-G are solid programs. Kenton and Elida are right there. I'm a bit surprised to see some folks put Wapak in the top 2 or in the driver's seat. Unless they overhaul their offense and add some sort of dynamic edge, I wouldn't be worried about them if I were the other top WBL teams. Even St Marys has a more explosive pass game than Wapak. Wapak does have a solid defense, refreshed stadium, and a culture of success there and I'm sure they'll be hungry after a disappointing season. St Marys, VW, and OG just seem like safer bets to me.

Despite the awkward COVID season, I thought the coolest part in the 2020 WBL discussion thread was how unpredictable it was and how we were all caught off guard week to week. It was a competitive league that churned out a state champ. Excited to see what 2021 has.
What did you miss?

Van Wert got lucky.
None of their playoff wins were impressive
Wapak will return to their rightful spot at the top and their win vs TM was more impressive than anything VW did last year.
WBLers are supposed to be looking in their schools for trophies and banners that are hung for "Impressive" wins.
Everyone dislikes Kenton.

You are now all caught up.

What did you miss?

Van Wert got lucky.
None of their playoff wins were impressive
Wapak will return to their rightful spot at the top and their win vs TM was more impressive than anything VW did last year.
WBLers are supposed to be looking in their schools for trophies and banners that are hung for "Impressive" wins.
Everyone dislikes Kenton.

You are now all caught up.

And Defiance might leave. Or they might not. But they might, and if so apparently somehow the only possible replacements are Bellefontaine, Lima Senior, or (seriously saw this one today on one of the other threads) FOSTORIA.

But mostly to hell with Kenton.

I think you might be underestimating the Golet kid at QB

I think you might be underestimating the Golet kid at QB
Perhaps. That'd be great for Wapak if he's a capable passer. It'd be refreshing to see a season where Wapak isn't last place in the WBL in passing stats. If they crack the upper half of the league in passing stats, I'd be impressed with that offensive revolution.

Last edited:
Perhaps. That'd be great for Wapak if he's a capable passer. It'd be refreshing to see a season where Wapak isn't last place in the WBL in passing stats. If they crack the upper half of the league in passing stats, I'd be impressed with that offensive revolution.
He is one of the more athletic QB's we have had and he does have a nice arm. Golet was the kid who threw the TD pass to tie St marys a few years ago on a trick play he was playing WR. The biggest thing that hurts Wapak is cant really say we have that go to reciever. I cant really say how much Moyer developes the passing attack.

He is one of the more athletic QB's we have had and he does have a nice arm. Golet was the kid who threw the TD pass to tie St marys a few years ago on a trick play he was playing WR. The biggest thing that hurts Wapak is cant really say we have that go to reciever. I cant really say how much Moyer developes the passing attack.
Moyer isn't exactly known for his passing attack...

As long as it's that way Wapak will be hindered against the top teams in the WBL

Wapak had a pocket passer in Huffman was tall and had a arm plus we had some decent recievers that year.

Wapak will rebound. The sophomore class is special and Goulet is the type of player that can carry a team on his back. I’m not sure why this other guy things the passing game/Moyer’s offense “hinders” Wapak’s ability to compete against the “top teams in the WBL”. Like I said and proved prior, since Moyer came to the league Wapak has been the best program, and St. Mary’s is the only one that’s close. Both teams that are Wing-T and don’t pass.

Wapak will rebound. The sophomore class is special and Goulet is the type of player that can carry a team on his back. I’m not sure why this other guy things the passing game/Moyer’s offense “hinders” Wapak’s ability to compete against the “top teams in the WBL”. Like I said and proved prior, since Moyer came to the league Wapak has been the best program, and St. Mary’s is the only one that’s close. Both teams that are Wing-T and don’t pass.
And both have zero state championships

Their offenses are good enough against lower WBL competition and they struggle against top WBL schools or good playoff teams. If you want to be successful in the playoffs you have to a little bit better than predictable.

Their offenses are good enough against lower WBL competition and they struggle against top WBL schools or good playoff teams. If you want to be successful in the playoffs you have to a little bit better than predictable.
if Wapak was D4 i think they would’ve taken home a title or two by now.

St Mary’s is always very good but they’ve never been just great. you know what you’re getting when you play them. they do what they do and they do it very well.

As much as I like seeing the Wing-T run over opponents (as long as it's not us) in the WBL I am struggling to remember the last "Wing-T" team to win a state championship at any division. Anybody know?

if Wapak was D4 i think they would’ve taken home a title or two by now.

St Mary’s is always very good but they’ve never been just great. you know what you’re getting when you play them. they do what they do and they do it very well.
That means in 2014 Wapak would have to have beaten Cleveland Bendictine to win state
2015-16 Bishop Hartley
2018 Cincinnati Wyoming
2019 Clyde
I don't see them winning any in this stretch.

that’s a great question.
Just glancing back through the OHSAA site maybe 2004 Hardin Northern coached by Pete Brunow? That's the first one I came across looking through the past champions. Funny enough it's the last time St Marys made state too that year.

As much as I like seeing the Wing-T run over opponents (as long as it's not us) in the WBL I am struggling to remember the last "Wing-T" team to win a state championship at any division. Anybody know?
Kirtland seems like a solid program for being predictable, as does Ironton. Alter seems pretty predictable running wishbone, McComb as far as I know has been fairly wing-t'ish, but that has been a while. Doesn't LCC run it? Bellevue Washington one of the more successful programs in the country, De Le Salle another one.

In my opinon the thing that hinders Wapak the most is the division they are in. They are D3 in size, but are more of a comparable school like D4/5 like the other D3 WBL Teams. Good to great athletes, but not a roster loaded with those guys and sprinkle in a D1 guy here or there when it comes to the best teams in the state at D3. Trotwood seems to always have guys going big time, Shelby had the QB going D1. Wapak, St Marys etc have the solid core of guys and D3/D2 guys but not upper echelon. That to me is what stops them from winning state, not what offense they run.

Kirtland seems like a solid program for being predictable, as does Ironton. Alter seems pretty predictable running wishbone, McComb as far as I know has been fairly wing-t'ish, but that has been a while. Doesn't LCC run it? Bellevue Washington one of the more successful programs in the country, De Le Salle another one.
Agreed, successful program but McComb wasn't really a wing-t team when they won back in 2018. They were a power runnig team and just ran their QB out of the shotgun a lot like Minster does well. But Alter hasn't won since 2008, LCC has never won a state championship and obviously Ironton/Kirtland are power-I and 21/22/31 personnel teams. My point was the last pure wing-t team to win was 2004 Hardin Northern from what I looked up.

Last edited:
Wapak has had some great backs in the last few years from Pickens, Hall, Kaeck, Schmerge, Tuttle, Metz but never a huge go to receiver. Last really great pass catcher we had was Schmerge's older brother and BJ Reed a huge TE.

Kirtland runs a stacked I formation. Not really that far off from the wing-T really.

Wapak has had some great backs in the last few years from Pickens, Hall, Kaeck, Schmerge, Tuttle, Metz but never a huge go to receiver. Last really great pass catcher we had was Schmerge's older brother and BJ Reed a huge TE.
That was a really good team, Schmerge & Reeder. Reeder actually played QB in the WBl allstar game. Surprisingly, only regular season lose was to Shawnee

I would find it hard for Defiance to leave, nobody likes change. They have to be misereable with the drive or forced financially to do it.
More and more teams making the playoffs lessen the joy of league titles.

Can't believe you forgot Logan Erb at RB. He was a monster in football and wrestling too obviously.

That means in 2014 Wapak would have to have beaten Cleveland Bendictine to win state
2015-16 Bishop Hartley
2018 Cincinnati Wyoming
2019 Clyde
I don't see them winning any in this stretch.

Your weird anti-Wapak bias prevents you from seeing Wapak win any of those games. The only game Wapak has no argument is in 2015, a year Wapak won every game up to week 11 by double digits so who actually knows if they would have won.

2014 Benedictine beat Alter by only a touchdown, who beat Kenton on a last second field goal. The same Kenton team Wapak beat. Wapak’s only loss was to Trotwood in 4OT

2016 Hartley beat OG by 3, while Wapak beat them by 10. Definitely could see that being a good game and a game Wapak could win.

2018 Wyoming was great, but St. Mary’s wasn’t able to contain their athletes. Wapak showed against Trotwood and Alter they can beat or compete greatly with athletes. Tall task to beat Wyoming but Wapak definitely has a chance there. Wyoming had quite a few close games against lesser teams too

2019 Clyde beat OG by only a touchdown, same OG team Wapak beat. Don’t see why you don’t think Wapak could win that game.

anyways, it has nothing to do with Wapak’s offense why they haven’t won a state title. Chardon runs a Wing-T and they beat a primarily power run team in St Francis DeSales in the title game. Van Wert took advantage of playing in a weak year in the WBL and having good talent run through the program. If their offense was so great and instrumental in winning a title, you’d think they’d AT LEAST finish better than 3rd in the league this decade? They didn’t do anything significant until this year. I’m not trying to hate on Van Wert because winning a state title is obviously tough, just trying to understand where the type of offense a team runs is predictive of them winning a title. As other have stated in this thread, multiple examples have shown teams with a predictable offense winning state. If you’re going to troll, at least make it funny