Western Buckeye League 2021

Wapak has had success and banners hanging in our gym might not say football but do say 3 individual state winners in wrestling which Im very proud of. Once again off topic fighting lets talk football and what we see coming back this year in each program and kids who we feel could break out this year. I really feel with Wapak Golet is one of our most athletic QB's we have ever had and has a decent arm. The younger Houser will only get better. My kid to watch will be the Brown kid his size is not matched in the WBL really to see how he committs in the off season to getting better is key to him.
I agree it's time to get back on topic talking about the 2021 season. Which if you look at my previous predictions, have the Wapak Redskins winning yet another WBL championship in the Moyer era. My bold prediction is that they will win each game by at least 2 scores!

I would say that FootballFan20 isn't that great of a troll, but yet he keeps getting all of you to fall for it. I am amazed how no one else sees this and yet you all get so upset by his comments. Mind boggling, I have to hand it to him well done.
I just find him/her amusing otherwise I wouldn't even respond

Wapak has had success and banners hanging in our gym might not say football but do say 3 individual state winners in wrestling which Im very proud of. Once again off topic fighting lets talk football and what we see coming back this year in each program and kids who we feel could break out this year. I really feel with Wapak Golet is one of our most athletic QB's we have ever had and has a decent arm. The younger Houser will only get better. My kid to watch will be the Brown kid his size is not matched in the WBL really to see how he committs in the off season to getting better is key to him.
Hopefully we'll actually be able to have our scrimmage this year.

I would say that FootballFan20 isn't that great of a troll, but yet he keeps getting all of you to fall for it. I am amazed how no one else sees this and yet you all get so upset by his comments. Mind boggling, I have to hand it to him well done.
He's almost as big of a troll as some of those fans from that place west of Canton....

I'm definitely a supporter of the best program in NW Ohio so I don't know where this is coming from.

If you had to compare the 2016 or 2018 Wapak team vs. any of the best teams in NW Ohio of all time I'm taking the Skins

Coldwater might have something to say about who is the best program in NW Ohio. Unless being about 20 miles west and 5 miles south of Wapak puts them in SW Ohio on your map.

Also, pretty sure Toledo Whitmer and Central Catholic have quite recently had much better teams than the your 16/18 Wapak teams.

But Wapak has been the best team in the WBL since Moyer got there. I'll give you that for sure.

Coldwater might have something to say about who is the best program in NW Ohio. Unless being about 20 miles west and 5 miles south of Wapak puts them in SW Ohio on your map.

Also, pretty sure Toledo Whitmer and Central Catholic have quite recently had much better teams than the your 16/18 Wapak teams.

But Wapak has been the best team in the WBL since Moyer got there. I'll give you that for sure.
If we're saying the best team in the WBL has been good at losing to Trotwood every year. I would even say that St. Marys, OG, and Van Wert have been better the last 4 years.

We did have our fair share of T-shirts and posts about the end of basketball season at Grove last year, but the situation was unheard of. There's a banner now in our gym that says 26-0, AP #1. Doesn't say state champions on it, but everyone in town agreed our team needed to be recognized after their run last year!
You can go the route of West Jefferson and proclaim yourself a State Champion even when getting beat in the playoffs.
As long as you have some poll/rating system that had you at #1 you are good to go!

But I digress.

Any word on any new recruits for Kenton at the QB position next year?

You can go the route of West Jefferson and proclaim yourself a State Champion even when getting beat in the playoffs.
As long as you have some poll/rating system that had you at #1 you are good to go!

But I digress.

Any word on any new recruits for Kenton at the QB position next year?
Kenton is definitely gonna need one to stay even remotely close to the top the WBL

I'm definitely a supporter of the best program in NW Ohio so I don't know where this is coming from.

If you had to compare the 2016 or 2018 Wapak team vs. any of the best teams in NW Ohio of all time I'm taking the Skins
Hypothetically, I believe a Norwalk-Wapak matchup in 18 would have been a great game. Having said this, Truckers nowhere close being elite in NW Ohio.

If we're saying the best team in the WBL has been good at losing to Trotwood every year. I would even say that St. Marys, OG, and Van Wert have been better the last 4 years.

You said last 4 years, original poster said since Moyer came to Wapak. In the 7 years Moyer has been head coach, he has 5 league titles, 5 playoff appearances and a 7-5 playoff record which is honestly not the best but very solid. He also has a 63-16 record, which I am going to assume only Frye has more wins due to deeper runs in DVI playoffs compared to DIII.

Let us compare your other teams playoff resumes
- OG has not made it out of their region since Moyer became coach, running into future state champs Bishop Hartley (x2) and Clyde. 0-6 record against Wapak.
- St. Mary’s made it out once, a year that WAPAK beat them. They then got pummeled by a stacked Wyoming team led by Evan Prater who will be a future star for Cincinnati. 3-4 against Wapak.
- Van Wert made it out once, this year. They have a singe playoff appearance otherwise, when they got pummeled by St Mary’s in the second round. 2-5 record against Wapak.

No team has a winning record against Wapak since Moyer became head coach. St. Mary’s is best at 3-4. Van Wert’s title deserves all the praise this league has as those are hard to come by around here. But no program has been better than Wapak since Moyer became head coach. Someone is more than welcome to prove me wrong. But I’ve provided the facts.

Best playoff competition ever, huh?

Using your D3 > D4 logic, did Wapak ever win a single D2 playoff game?

Cause St. Marys and Defiance have D2 titles and Celina made the Final Four. Twice.

Trotwood would be run off the field by the Fostoria, Lebanon, Walsh Jesuit, Watterson, Benedictine, Avon Lake, and Avon teams that those 3 played in the 90s and early 2000s. Then again, I wouldn't expect some kid to know that. He wasn't even born yet.

You said last 4 years, original poster said since Moyer came to Wapak. In the 7 years Moyer has been head coach, he has 5 league titles, 5 playoff appearances and a 7-5 playoff record which is honestly not the best but very solid. He also has a 63-16 record, which I am going to assume only Frye has more wins due to deeper runs in DVI playoffs compared to DIII.

Let us compare your other teams playoff resumes
- OG has not made it out of their region since Moyer became coach, running into future state champs Bishop Hartley (x2) and Clyde. 0-6 record against Wapak.
- St. Mary’s made it out once, a year that WAPAK beat them. They then got pummeled by a stacked Wyoming team led by Evan Prater who will be a future star for Cincinnati. 3-4 against Wapak.
- Van Wert made it out once, this year. They have a singe playoff appearance otherwise, when they got pummeled by St Mary’s in the second round. 2-5 record against Wapak.

No team has a winning record against Wapak since Moyer became head coach. St. Mary’s is best at 3-4. Van Wert’s title deserves all the praise this league has as those are hard to come by around here. But no program has been better than Wapak since Moyer became head coach. Someone is more than welcome to prove me wrong. But I’ve provided the facts.

Honestly, it can't be argued that they've been tops in the WBL really since Frye came to town and then under Moyer. They had a great decade.

It's just the holes in his arguments and flat out disrespect he shows everyone else. Kid has proven he's a troll and honestly we should probably all just ignore him. He wants the attention.

Honestly, it can't be argued that they've been tops in the WBL really since Frye came to town and then under Moyer. They had a great decade.

It's just the holes in his arguments and flat out disrespect he shows everyone else. Kid has proven he's a troll and honestly we should probably all just ignore him. He wants the attention.

I 100% agree. That kid is either in middle school or a buffoon. He’s embarrassing everyone representing Wapak on this website.

Just to clear the argument about Frye and Moyer, I played for both of them. They are both great but have their differences.

Frye is a classic tough guy. That is a good thing and bad thing. He is a player builder. He turns the players into the toughest, strongest and most physical players you can play against. However, he turns off other coaches. Other coaches don’t want to play with him. He’s disrespectful to most those around him. But he develops players, and that is one of the most important aspects of coaching.

Moyer is a good man. Very good man. He cares about every single player, every kid in the school, and his coaching staff. He builds coaching staffs like no other in this part of Ohio. He’s had multiple head coaches on his staff as assistants, including current Fort Laramie head coach Spencer Wells who is creating a fantastic culture over there, current Elida head coach Kyle Harmon, former Bath head coach Bill Garland, and Wapak head coach in waiting Nick Truesdale, who is probably the best defensive mind in the league and I would argue in almost all of Northwest Ohio. His former defensive coordinator, Mike Voll would be worth of a head coaching position but retired due to wanting to have time with his family. However, he takes it easy on his players. Especially the good ones. He allows the best players to slack in the weight room, sit in the training room during practice or do bad things to underclassmen. However, he is a fantastic motivator and great in the film room.

Like many on here have said, Moyer has succeeded with Frye’s players. That is why I think the 2014 team was the best Wapak team of all time and in my opinion, one of the best this area has ever had. They had Frye developed players with Moyer coaching. I doubt a Wapak team like that will come around again.

I posted this in the realignment thread, but it may actually hit the audience I'm looking for here.

I'm definitely hearing we may be jumping. The travel on 24 is definitely better, and it sounds like we'll be reunited with Napoleon, Bryan, and Wauseon, so that's a win. I'll miss the 110 year history with VW if we can't continue playing.

Theoretical for the VW people....if Defiance DOES leave and it was your choice to play us or Bryan week 1, who do you pick? I know I'd love to continue playing you guys.

I posted this in the realignment thread, but it may actually hit the audience I'm looking for here.

I'm definitely hearing we may be jumping. The travel on 24 is definitely better, and it sounds like we'll be reunited with Napoleon, Bryan, and Wauseon, so that's a win. I'll miss the 110 year history with VW if we can't continue playing.

Theoretical for the VW people....if Defiance DOES leave and it was your choice to play us or Bryan week 1, who do you pick? I know I'd love to continue playing you guys.
I would think they would keep playing. Van Wert would probably look for a school in similar size and not much driving distance and Defiance checks the boxes.

simple solution- move to 3 non conference games. the WBL is just hurting themselves by playing everyone. give the teams the opportunity to earn points by playing up with the MVL, TRAC (or whatever it turns into), etc

simple solution- move to 3 non conference games. the WBL is just hurting themselves by playing everyone. give the teams the opportunity to earn points by playing up with the MVL, TRAC (or whatever it turns into), etc
I am in favor of this. I would enjoy continuing our success against non league opponents

I am in favor of this. I would enjoy continuing our success against non league opponents
would love to see Wapak play Piqua, Sidney vs St Mary’s again, Celina vs Greenville, just to name a few.

how would you feel about this WBL, in the format i stated?

North- Van Wert, Ottawa Glandorf, Shawnee, Elida, Bath

South- Bellefontaine, Wapakoneta, Kenton, St Mary’s, Celina

would love to see Wapak play Piqua, Sidney vs St Mary’s again, Celina vs Greenville, just to name a few.

how would you feel about this WBL, in the format i stated?

North- Van Wert, Ottawa Glandorf, Shawnee, Elida, Bath

South- Bellefontaine, Wapakoneta, Kenton, St Mary’s, Celina

That's the only way I could ever see the highlighted leaving the CBC to go back to the WBL. Otherwise, the travel for round robin in football and double round robin in everything else is absolutely terrible. They have some longer trips in the CBC, but I believe everything tops out at worst at around 50 minutes with most of them being easy drives on 68. The only longer trips that require funky routes on lesser roads are probably London and maybe North Union.

That's the only way I could ever see the highlighted leaving the CBC to go back to the WBL. Otherwise, the travel for round robin in football and double round robin in everything else is absolutely terrible. They have some longer trips in the CBC, but I believe everything tops out at worst at around 50 minutes with most of them being easy drives on 68. The only longer trips that require funky routes on lesser roads are probably London and maybe North Union.
The travel in the CBC sucks and I am not a fan of the home and home in many sports. I get it, makes scheduling so much easier but gives them a much less ability to schedule 'up' and better round out their schedules. When I mentioned that to a local the other day they said 'doesnt that make the league champion much more deserving and valuable' to my answer: Does league title in other leagues mean anything less? No.

Bellefontaine is about to explode onto the scene in the next few years. They will take down local power Coldwater in their matchup coming up soon.

I think that the WBL doesnt need much tweaking and would keep it as it with just one change in football scheduling that has been discussed on here.

The rotating schedule.

The travel in the CBC sucks and I am not a fan of the home and home in many sports. I get it, makes scheduling so much easier but gives them a much less ability to schedule 'up' and better round out their schedules. When I mentioned that to a local the other day they said 'doesnt that make the league champion much more deserving and valuable' to my answer: Does league title in other leagues mean anything less? No.

Bellefontaine is about to explode onto the scene in the next few years. They will take down local power Coldwater in their matchup coming up soon.

I think that the WBL doesnt need much tweaking and would keep it as it with just one change in football scheduling that has been discussed on here.

The rotating schedule.
Football booms will come and go. I hear that the Chiefs are going to be way up soon, but they have been before...and unless there's a handful of kids that are all-world they aren't going to be any better than London or Alder when they are in an up cycle. The current setup that those schools have for football is about as good as it's going to get for any of them at the moment, especially if Kenton Ridge ever figures out how to football again as I'd argue they probably have as good as or better athletes walking that building than any of the schools in that league almost every year. When they get new schools in a couple of years, their football and basketball will take off like a rocket due to their geographic location whenever Springfield hits a rough patch again. Football rules the roost and I wouldn't be in any hurry to blow up that five game divisional slate for football.

With their geography Bellefontaine is going to be traveling a lot no matter what league they are in. MVL travel would be about the same as the CBC but they'd be a very small fish in a much bigger pond. Travel to the northern WBL schools is a nightmare and in a strict round robin format for everything you can't justify making those trips constantly on weekdays, especially in junior high sports.

Last edited: