Western Buckeye League 2020

O-G's 97 team gave two state champs one of their closest 2 or 3 games each, that year. Many people will forget how good the Titans were that year, even with 3 losses.

Ooooh, good call. An outstanding team for sure.

1997 OG record (9-3) - losses:
Defiance - D2 State Champs
Celina - D2 Regional Semi-Finalist
Germantown - D4 State Champs

OG was D4 that year and made their first playoff appearance and got their first win vs. Cincinnati Wyoming before falling to Valleview.

Week 8 Saturday Games
D4R14: (8) Kenton 32, (9) Ontario 20
D4R14: (5) Van Wert 46, (12) Port Clinton 20
D5R18: (3) O-G 62, (14) Orrville 0
D5R18: (11) Bath 3, (6) West Salem Northwestern 21
Elida 14, Buckeye Valley 6 (non-playoff game)

I didn't follow along with any of these games, but I guess my upset pick in Bath over Northwestern didn't work out. Nice to see the WBL go 3-1 in playoffs tonight, and 4-1 overall. O-G looking scary powerful. They always seem like the WBL's best bet come playoff season. Impressed to see Kenton handle Ontario as well as they did, and not surprised at all with the VW score. Nice day for the WBL boys.

Bath winning only 2 games with a heavy JR/SR team has to be a big disappointment and underperformance. Friends told me a few years ago they had 2020 circled on the calendar as "their year".

Bath winning only 2 games with a heavy JR/SR team has to be a big disappointment and underperformance. Friends told me a few years ago they had 2020 circled on the calendar as "their year".
Probably the same people who had Van Wert as the 6th best team in the WBL before the season started

OG was D4 that year and made their first playoff appearance and got their first win vs. Cincinnati Wyoming before falling to Valleview.
Was that one of the Mike Bath years? If I remember one year they got whalloped in the playoffs, Lebanon maybe, and another year he broke his ankle in a gruesome injury and to make matters worse their best WR was the backup QB.

but i digress..

Was that one of the Mike Bath years? If I remember one year they got whalloped in the playoffs, Lebanon maybe, and another year he broke his ankle in a gruesome injury and to make matters worse their best WR was the backup QB.

but i digress..

98 was when the lost 70-43 to Lebanon. 97 they lost regional finals to Lebanon 24-21. Interestingly, had they won that game, it would have set up a WBL rematch in the Final 4. Defiance went on to beat Lebanon 28-20 the next week in, really, Defiance's only real test of the 97 season.

98 was when the lost 70-43 to Lebanon. 97 they lost regional finals to Lebanon 24-21. Interestingly, had they won that game, it would have set up a WBL rematch in the Final 4. Defiance went on to beat Lebanon 28-20 the next week in, really, Defiance's only real test of the 97 season.

Not sure what the final score was, but OG played Defiance pretty tough in '97.

I think it was close going into the 4th Q, then Defiance scored late in the game to put it away if my memory is correct.

Not sure what the final score was, but OG played Defiance pretty tough in '97.

I think it was close going into the 4th Q, then Defiance scored late in the game to put it away if my memory is correct.

From what I just saw, 38-13.

I do think you're right, it was tight into the 4th, but all in all it ended up being a comfortable win. Closest regular season game, based on final score, ended up being 27-20 against Bath.

I'll put it this way. Lebanon was probably the only game that year where well into the 2nd half, we weren't sure we could pull it off. I believe Brecksville played us tough. Lake had a lead into the 2nd quarter in the title game. OG and Bath hung around. But that Lebanon game felt like the state title game and one we were relieved to escape.

Taking nothing away from your Titans that year though! Regional runner up with 3 losses to 2 state champs and another regional finalist is a hell of a year.

Just to shore up some things here, especially since talking about the past is all I've got now...

Mike Bath's last year was 95 I think. He broke is leg in 94 and they lost in the regional final. Not sure which game he broke it; it might've been the first round. Celina made the state semi in 95 his senior year but lost to eventual champ Dublin Scioto, which I believe was in its first year of existence after Dublin split into two schools. In 98, Celina made the state semi again but Lebanon was junior-dominated when it lost to Defiance in 97, and won it all in 98. But in 97 in that first round game against Lebanon, I recall thinking that Celina was up 21-0 before losing 24-21. I think Celina at least had a big lead and blew it.

As for Defiance in 97, the 27-12 win over Bath was the closest score outside of the state semi over Lebanon. The Bath game was suspended and finished the next day. Bath finished 4-6, so I'm not sure why it was so close. Maybe the rain kept it close. But I will always feel the O-G game was the "toughest" game Defiance had that year. I recall it being a one-TD lead for Defiance before blocking a punt in the 4th and adding two late TDs to win by 25 points. I don't think the first team defense gave up more than one TD to anyone except O-G, Lebanon, and maybe Bath and St. Marys. Lebanon was the only team to score more than 14 total, and one of those TDs might've been a pick for a TD if I remember correctly. That game was the closest all year in terms of score, the only single digit difference, but Defiance dominated statistically. Hartzell ran for over 200 yards and Defiance held Kelton Lindsey to like 90 yards or something, with 70 of those coming on one run. It shouldn't have been that close.

Just to shore up some things here, especially since talking about the past is all I've got now...

Mike Bath's last year was 95 I think. He broke is leg in 94 and they lost in the regional final. Not sure which game he broke it; it might've been the first round. Celina made the state semi in 95 his senior year but lost to eventual champ Dublin Scioto, which I believe was in its first year of existence after Dublin split into two schools. In 98, Celina made the state semi again but Lebanon was junior-dominated when it lost to Defiance in 97, and won it all in 98. But in 97 in that first round game against Lebanon, I recall thinking that Celina was up 21-0 before losing 24-21. I think Celina at least had a big lead and blew it.

As for Defiance in 97, the 27-12 win over Bath was the closest score outside of the state semi over Lebanon. The Bath game was suspended and finished the next day. Bath finished 4-6, so I'm not sure why it was so close. Maybe the rain kept it close. But I will always feel the O-G game was the "toughest" game Defiance had that year. I recall it being a one-TD lead for Defiance before blocking a punt in the 4th and adding two late TDs to win by 25 points. I don't think the first team defense gave up more than one TD to anyone except O-G, Lebanon, and maybe Bath and St. Marys. Lebanon was the only team to score more than 14 total, and one of those TDs might've been a pick for a TD if I remember correctly. That game was the closest all year in terms of score, the only single digit difference, but Defiance dominated statistically. Hartzell ran for over 200 yards and Defiance held Kelton Lindsey to like 90 yards or something, with 70 of those coming on one run. It shouldn't have been that close.
Thanks. I couldnt quite remember, but if I thought more about it I shoulda have known that 97 was not with him. I have family who tended to Mr. Bath on that injury at the game and was told it was gruesome.

BTW/// to my knowledge he is still coaching for Wyoming Cowboys!

Thanks. I couldnt quite remember, but if I thought more about it I shoulda have known that 97 was not with him. I have family who tended to Mr. Bath on that injury at the game and was told it was gruesome.

BTW/// to my knowledge he is still coaching for Wyoming Cowboys!
He coaches at Western Michigan now. RB’s coach.

The Wyoming team with OSU commit Richard Hall.....who was averaging over 200 yards a game. Titans trashed Wyoming and held Hall to something like 45 yards

The Wyoming team with OSU commit Richard Hall.....who was averaging over 200 yards a game. Titans trashed Wyoming and held Hall to something like 45 yards

The number of OSU commits the WBL went toe to toe with and at least held their own in that era was crazy. Hall and Lindsay who have been mentioned here. Defiance was an interception in the end zone away from beating the Mike D'Andrea led Avon Lake team in 2001. Then of course we all had to deal with Joel Penton.

Sad that those days are pretty much gone.

That next year Coldwater beat Hall and Wyoming, holding him to one yard short of the season rushing record at the time held by Ryan Brewer. It has since been surpassed a number of times. Wyoming, the two times w played them, relied on one strong RB and that's it. (Hall, Pope).
Pope went to BG and bounced in the NFL to a few teams. Did hall go anywhere?
The one thing I recall for both of them is they got up slower and slower and slower each time they were hit. In hindsight, maybe if they used more misdirection, used them as decoys they coulda hit big plays as the defenses were selling out. Goodluck to the Cougs!
It may be in this thread, but weren they struggling as a program in the not so distant past? It's great to see programs that as been st ruggling make a huge turnaround.

Last edited:
Cool. Was hoping was not too far out of touch. Friend of mine daughter went to cheer for them and always said he was instrumental in how she ended up out there.
He actually pulled a kid named Garrett Crall out of Hicksville to walk on at Wyoming and now he's a on scholarship and a starting DE for the Cowboys. Cool story.

So no one is going to congratulate Van Wert on being the first WBL state champs since 2002?? I think this is huge for the WBL. They have some teams that are on the brink of being state champs but this definitely shines some light on the WBL. Congrats to Van Wert!! And New Bremen!! Two teams from the same general area getting state titles, with Coldwater being potentially a 3rd.

So no one is going to congratulate Van Wert on being the first WBL state champs since 2002?? I think this is huge for the WBL. They have some teams that are on the brink of being state champs but this definitely shines some light on the WBL. Congrats to Van Wert!! And New Bremen!! Two teams from the same general area getting state titles, with Coldwater being potentially a 3rd.
Huh? Did they win already?

Counting chickens before their hatched. Or did the Catholics catch the bat virus ?

The WBL has a football state champ again! This Van Wert team could not be more deserving. They were a blast to follow along in the regular season. Owen Treece is a beast. They did very well in WBL play, with a close win over St Marys and a loss to O-G. They then did really well in the playoffs before some tough matchups with Wyoming and that thriller over MLC. What a great comeback! Congrats, Cougars!

Well, the 2010s are over and we’re entering a new decade of football. The 2010s in review:

WBL Champions:
Kenton (2010, 2011, 2013, 2019)
Ottawa-Glandorf (2012, 2016)
Wapakoneta (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
St. Mary’s (2016, 2017, 2018)

No State Champions

Final Four Appearances:
Kenton (2011, 2013, 2014)
Elida (2011)
St. Mary’s (2018)

Regional Final Appearances:
Kenton (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014)
Elida (2011)
Ottawa-Glandorf (2012, 2016, 2019)
Wapakoneta (2014, 2015, 2018)
St. Mary’s (2016, 2018)

Playoff Appearances:
Kenton (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2019)
Elida (2010, 2011, 2012, 2017)
Ottawa-Glandorf (2010, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2019)
Wapakoneta (2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
Defiance (2013)
Celina (2015)
St. Mary’s (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

I would consider the team of the decade between Wapak and Kenton. Kenton has had deeper playoff runs, but Wapak has more WBL titles and playoff appearances. I would put OG, St. Mary’s and Elida in whatever order following.

I’d like to hear your guy’s top 5 players of the decade, and your predictions for the 2020 football season.

My top 5 would have to be in no order Maty Mauk, Noah Furbush, Quentin Poling, Reggie McAdams and Justin Sawmiller.

I predict Kenton to win the league, with Cornell winning offensive back of the year honors. Finishing behind them will be some combination of Wapakoneta, OG, St. Mary’s and Bath. I don’t see the other teams being much, Defiance and Shawnee graduates strong senior classes, Van Wert loses some good pieces and don’t have enough returning, Elida doesn’t bring back much at all, and Celina is Celina.

One year in the future and.....well I won't go too hard. Not sure anyone saw state champs out of this lol.

Congrats to Van Wert on its first team state championship. I didn't really realize that all previous WBL state titles in football came in the relatively short period of 1990-2002. That is now 7-5 all time in title games for WBL teams, stayin' above .500...

Here are the final WBL standings for 2020:

11-1 -- Van Wert (D4 State Champs)
7-2 -- Ottawa-Glandorf
6-3 -- Elida
6-3 -- St Marys Memorial
5-4 -- Kenton
4-5 -- Shawnee
3-4 -- Wapakoneta
3-6 -- Celina
2-6 -- Bath
1-9 -- Defiance
Weirdest final standings ever. State title teams in all divisions with no more than 12 wins. And how appropriate that Defiance played more games than anyone except Van Wert and still won only one game. :rolleyes: