Western Buckeye League 2020

You guys and Van Wert are the only trips I would miss if we ever left. VW more because we have over 100 years of history with them.

All moot since we're not leaving, but considering VW and Bryan have their week 1 series, I'd hope if we left and especially if Napoleon was a league game, we'd keep playing you week 1. Easy trip, nice rivalry but lots of respect betweem the programs. I truly enjoy playing OG.
I remember making the trip to Napoleon back in 08 from Norwalk to watch Naptown play Defiance on a Thursday Night. Very entertaining and intense game.

After the beatdown Van Wert gave Bellevue and Shelby(on their turfs, no less), I wouldn't hold it against Wyoming and their fans if they hid their women and children. Protecting sense of innocence is key.

Good luck to Van Wert next Saturday. I know very little about Wyoming other than what I've read on Yappi and their obvious recent playoff records over the past several years.

The key to stopping Van Wert will be stopping Owen Treece, which will be no small feat. That young man is legit and I don't know if I've ever seen a dude as illusive and accurate with the football at the same time.

Good luck to Van Wert next Saturday. I know very little about Wyoming other than what I've read on Yappi and their obvious recent playoff records over the past several years.

The key to stopping Van Wert will be stopping Owen Treece, which will be no small feat. That young man is legit and I don't know if I've ever seen a dude as illusive and accurate with the football at the same time.
Brennan armstrong?

Van Wert joins Bath, Celina, Kenton, and St. Marys as WBL schools that have won multiple regional titles in football. Van Wert has also won 9 of its last 11 playoff games. Only Kenton and St. Marys have had better stretches than that.

That young man is legit and I don't know if I've ever seen a dude as illusive and accurate with the football at the same time.

The Armstrong kid from Shelby was damn good a couple of years ago when St. Marys played them (He's now at Virginia) but I immediately think of Evan Prater from Wyoming who was as good as I've seen when they played the Riders.

Jokingly I told someone the other night Van Wert is basically on the St. Marys revenge tour as Shelby and Wyoming are two of the last four teams to knock the Riders out of the playoffs.

Van Wert joins Bath, Celina, Kenton, and St. Marys as WBL schools that have won multiple regional titles in football. Van Wert has also won 9 of its last 11 playoff games. Only Kenton and St. Marys have had better stretches than that.
Ottawa Glandorf has won multiple regional two times

Also lost to Avon Lake (2003) and Walsh Jesuit (94) in Regional Title games. Should have beat Walsh.

I was a sophomore for Avon Lake. Chilly night in Fremont, and we gave them all they could handle for 3 quarters. In the end they pulled away and were too much, but that coupled with the near win in 01 led to a few AL fans stopping on the way out to let us know we had their respect and that we scared them twice.

I was too young to remember much about the Walsh game. 1st grade, I think. I know I listened to it, but the details kinda escaped me. I do seem to remember it was a game we led and had a real shot in though.

Buchtel though....just, can't get over the feeling we let that game get away. Wouldn't have mattered since they lost big to Olmsted Falls the next week.

Last edited:
Can someone from Van Wert explain where they are finding these good players from. Van Wert is always struggled for as long as I can remember and then in 2018 they flipped a switch. Mainly at the Quarterback position. First they had Nate Place who was insanely athletic and could turn any play into a massive run and now Owen Treece who is playing extremely well. They have also had some good players on there O and D line recently too. With Drew Bagley who was a menace, Keagon Hammons who was 2 time all state. Colin Place who was the complete opposite of his brother but played very well his senior year getting All-State honorable mention. And now this year even with an undersized line they are winning the line of scrimmage in most of there games.

Can someone from Van Wert explain where they are finding these good players from. Van Wert is always struggled for as long as I can remember and then in 2018 they flipped a switch. Mainly at the Quarterback position. First they had Nate Place who was insanely athletic and could turn any play into a massive run and now Owen Treece who is playing extremely well. They have also had some good players on there O and D line recently too. With Drew Bagley who was a menace, Keagon Hammons who was 2 time all state. Colin Place who was the complete opposite of his brother but played very well his senior year getting All-State honorable mention. And now this year even with an undersized line they are winning the line of scrimmage in most of there games.
I think you have a big case of recency bias. They were competitive from 09-11 with a good class then went downhill for awhile till around 2015 and on when a couple good classes starting coming through with good athletes in those classes. These kids have all been in the VW system mostly so no surprises there. Just another wave of good athletes coming through VW. Love what Recker is doing.

As a Van Wert guy, VW has always had athletes. I think the difference is that we are running an Offense and Defense that complement our strengths. I agree with Insane92 that we lately have been blessed with some good athletes. This has changed the attitude of the program and kids have bought into winning. Also, the kids really like each other(along with coaches) and have bought into the idea of team. I'm not sure that in the past that our athletes liked each other or coaches. Don't be shocked to see two more very gifted athletes coming up playing duel threat QB.

Last edited:
Nope, just once, then lost to Chagrin Falls in a close game. O-G has lost in the regional final four other times though, I think.

Yep. Three of the four were state champs too. All were tough, hard-fought games.

'97 - *Germantown Valley View (36-22)
'12 - Bishop Hartley (41-31)
'16 - *Bishop Hartley (38-35)
'19 - *Clyde (17-10)

Tough regions.

Yep. Three of the four were state champs too. All were tough, hard-fought games.

'97 - *Germantown Valley View (36-22)
'12 - Bishop Hartley (41-31)
'16 - *Bishop Hartley (38-35)
'19 - *Clyde (17-10)

Tough regions.
O-G's 97 team gave two state champs one of their closest 2 or 3 games each, that year. Many people will forget how good the Titans were that year, even with 3 losses.

This is the WBL's first title game since 2011, right? When Kenton, also D4, had that shootout loss to Norwayne 48-42?