Western Buckeye League 2020

As for the playoff games, stunning from Van Wert. I don't know what the overall stats were, but I'm surprised VW got out to a big lead. The Cougars scored more than half the total points Bellevue had given up all year long prior to this game. Would be nice to see a WBL team get a shot at the state semifinals, there haven't been too many lately.

Also very surprised at the O-G result. I read the Titans were held to 20-some rushing yards and not much more than 100 total. I will say that the Titans seem to have the widest range of results in the playoffs among WBL teams. Sometimes they just absolutely roll over someone, and sometimes they lay some huge eggs. I feel like the WBL has much greater depth than the NBC (helps having more teams too), but perhaps the best NBC team can usually compete with the top WBL teams as well.

A guy that saw the game was very impressed with Otsego. Stud RB and very accurate QB. Otsego's defense was fast, loaded the box up and had a defensive tackle that was a beast. By far better than any defense in the WBL. Comparable to Wapak's top defenses the last few years, which have been extremely good.

BTW Nash, what huge eggs are you talking about? I was thinking OG has been pretty good in the playoffs, so I did some research.

2020 = 21-6 to a higher seeded and undefeated Otsego. A huge egg?
2019 = 17-10 to the state champion Clyde team. OG gave them their toughest game by far of their playoff run.
2016 = 38-35 to state champion Bishop Hartley. A Hartley team that moved to D3 while OG moved to D5 the next year.
2015 = 41-12 to state champion Bishop Hartley. Yes, OG was completely outmatched here. But a huge egg losing to the state champs?
2012 = 41-31 to state semi-finalist Bishop Hartley. I was there and it was a great game. Very close until the end.
2011 = 31-0 to Eastwood. Here's your first egg I guess.
2010 = 10-7 vs. Genoa.
2009 = 20-14 to Chagrin Falls in the state semi.
2008 = 40-14 vs. Genoa. A second egg.
2007 = 48-12 to Marion Pleasant. Here's the third egg.
2006 = 24-21 as the 8 seed against 1 seed Milton Union
2005 = 10-3 to Huron.
2002 = 20-6 against Archbold.
1997 = 36-22 against state champion Germantown Valleyview.

That's it. OG's entire playoff loss history. Pretty impressive actually.

2 blowout losses in the last 10 years, one to a state champ. I'm going to have to disagree that OG lays some huge eggs in the playoffs.

Good research. I was at the Archbold and Eastwood losses so I guess they stood out more for me. But, two or three IS "some"...the main point was that it seems to have a wider range of results than other WBL schools - maybe not surprising since the odds increase because of more playoff games played than most other WBL teams.

Good research. I was at the Archbold and Eastwood losses so I guess they stood out more for me. But, two or three IS "some"...the main point was that it seems to have a wider range of results than other WBL schools - maybe not surprising since the odds increase because of more playoff games played than most other WBL teams.

LOL, That Archbold game was 20-6, hardly a "huge egg". And it was 23 years ago. It also seemed that your comment was prompted by this year's 21-6 loss to Otsego, which I also don't think qualifies as a bad loss.

Good point about having played so many playoff games. But I think I successfully showed that most of their losses were to some very high quality opponents. For example one of those "bad losses" was to a 2008 Genoa team that was pretty loaded. They lost a close game 42-34 to Borland's Kettering Alter state championship team.

You seem to have some high standards for playoff consistency. In the last 9 years, OG is 10-5 in the playoffs and only 1 bad loss to a state champ. If you have to go back 10 years to find a bad loss in the playoffs, I think your initial position is a stretch.

I'm going to have to disagree that OG has the widest range of playoff results in the WBL. I'm tempted to check into other WBL schools playoff history and losing scores, but that's a heckuva project.

I just noticed that Defiance and Van Wert will be the only teams to have reached 10 games. Yeah, yeah, I know what's been going on this year, but that's still crazy. Bath finished with 8 games and Wapak with 7, everyone else 9.

LOL, That Archbold game was 20-6, hardly a "huge egg". And it was 23 years ago. It also seemed that your comment was prompted by this year's 21-6 loss to Otsego, which I also don't think qualifies as a bad loss.

Good point about having played so many playoff games. But I think I successfully showed that most of their losses were to some very high quality opponents. For example one of those "bad losses" was to a 2008 Genoa team that was pretty loaded. They lost a close game 42-34 to Borland's Kettering Alter state championship team.

You seem to have some high standards for playoff consistency. In the last 9 years, OG is 10-5 in the playoffs and only 1 bad loss to a state champ. If you have to go back 10 years to find a bad loss in the playoffs, I think your initial position is a stretch.

I'm going to have to disagree that OG has the widest range of playoff results in the WBL. I'm tempted to check into other WBL schools playoff history and losing scores, but that's a heckuva project.
How are you 10-5 in 9 appearances? I don't recall 4 OG State Titles which also means more postseason wins than 10.

who leaves this league first? Kenton or Defiance?

Neither. We have nowhere else to go. The NWOAL would be about the only fit unless we started a new league completely, and I'm just not sure we're interested in playing a bunch of small schools .

In Kenton's case, I could see them fitting in the CBC, MOAC, or if they wanted to be the big fish even the N10. But they're one of the longest standing WBL members and neither side seems in a rush to end the relationship.

Last edited:
Neither. We have nowhere else to go. The NWOAL would be about the only fit unless we started a new league completely, and I'm just not sure we're interested in playing a bunch of small schools .

In Kenton's case, I could see them fitting in the CBC, MOAC, or if they wanted to be the big fish even the N10. But they're one of the longest standing WBL members and neither side seems in a rush to end the relationship.
it seems like there’s just a mutual hate between the rest of the WBL and Kenton.

but i’m with you- MOAC and CBC could be fits. i could even see a new league of those area schools.

with Defiance- are they shrinking or not? if they happen to be, a move to a smaller league in the next decade would not be an awful idea.

BIG: Bellefontaine, Kenton, Marion Harding, River Valley
SMALL: Ben Logan, Indian Lake, North Union, Marion Pleasant

the only league i could ever see fitting Kenton

Kenton is hated so much and being from SW ohio I don't understand the hate.
Can someone please get me up to speed? Seems like Kenton would be a great school to have in your conference.
The WBL is a class conference and taking away any school would be a bad move, I would think.
Who replaces them? Defiance seemed to be pretty competitive. Milton struggled with their passing game.

Kenton is hated so much and being from SW ohio I don't understand the hate.
Can someone please get me up to speed? Seems like Kenton would be a great school to have in your conference.
The WBL is a class conference and taking away any school would be a bad move, I would think.
Who replaces them? Defiance seemed to be pretty competitive. Milton struggled with their passing game.
people have hated Kenton vs the Mike Mauk days. i believe he liked to run up the score, always go for 2, and always kicked onside kicks. not that this is a bad thing but he ran the 5-wide air offense and passed every down. always went for it on 4th down as well.

also, ask @StateChampion2012 about a prank dealing with a deer ;)

but the WBL travel is insane. Defiance to Kenton is a haul. really, Defiance is a haul from anyone in the conference. they haven’t been competitive in the league as of late but still not a bad program. Defiance likely wouldn’t leave for competitive purposes unless they found a great fit.

people have hated Kenton vs the Mike Mauk days. i believe he liked to run up the score, always go for 2, and always kicked onside kicks. not that this is a bad thing but he ran the 5-wide air offense and passed every down. always went for it on 4th down as well.

but the WBL travel is insane. Defiance to Kenton is a haul. really, Defiance is a haul from anyone in the conference. they haven’t been competitive in the league as of late but still not a bad program. Defiance likely wouldn’t leave for competitive purposes unless they found a great fit.
Don't forget multiple late hits and after the play antics by his players. Always keep your head on a swivel even after the whistle playing them.

it seems like there’s just a mutual hate between the rest of the WBL and Kenton.

but i’m with you- MOAC and CBC could be fits. i could even see a new league of those area schools.

with Defiance- are they shrinking or not? if they happen to be, a move to a smaller league in the next decade would not be an awful idea.

I mean, we're shrinking but not at an alarming rate. My graduatung class 15 years ago at 188 was small....now it's normal. But still, it's a D3 in a county with 3 D6s and a D7. NWOAL has 2 4s, a 5, 4 6s, and a 7. And I'm wanting to say that just a couple years ago, we were among the biggest D3s, suggesting that without the small D1 we may have snuck back into D2. We're still much closer to the Wapaks of the league than the Baths.

The perfect league is something involving Napoleon, Bryan, and likely Wauseon, but it's finding additional members that's the issue. Maybe some of the smaller NLL members like Maumee could be picked off, but that's not a given. Otherwise it would be right into WBL territory hoping to steal VW or OG, which I couldn't see happening.

I'll say this, if we get down to D4, I could see the NWOAL in play, along with Napoleon. But at D3, I just don't see it.

One idea I've had but I couldn't see getting off the ground, simply based on past speculation that Maumee and BG had looked elsewhere, was the NWOAL expanding to 12 and going big/small. Defiance, Napoleon, Bryan, Wauseon, Maumee, BG big. Archbold, LC, Delta, Swanton, PH, Evergreen small.

But I think if those 2 actually left the NLL they'd look NBC/SBC. No reason to increase travel for something like that.

Defiance will not leave the WBL. It is a good fit for them. The travel to Kenton, St. Marys, Wapak and Celina is long. For the Lima Schools, it is really no farther to Defiance than it is to St. Marys, Celina and Kenton. Defiance has struggled in FB for sure, but they are more than competitive in most other sports. The girls sports program is really non competitive, except for Softball, track and CC. Their facilities are unmatched in the WBL on whole. The community and administration provide great and consistent support for athletics. Their enrollment has actually leveled off since the decline from the 90's and early 2000's. It is projected to stay the same or even increase slightly. Defiance is a great fit and is good for the WBL. The changing demographics of the population is the real issue.

I enjoy goofing on the guy, he deserves it for the most part.
But I do go too hard sometimes for the joke.
Nope, I would not say you are too hard on him. Anyone who uses everyone's words and articles to put in his words on his page , just to get clicks is fair game, oh and I took it to heart his hatred for Kenton (no i am not from Kenton) because Kenton kicked Celina's a** every year he was there in football.

Defiance is 25 minutes from OG and have the best facilities in the league in baseball, basketball and football......I would hate it if they left.

As far as OG.....they played the last two games and their last two weeks of practice without their HC who is also calls the plays. The loss to Otsego wasn't that surprising based on that fact

Nope, I would not say you are too hard on him. Anyone who uses everyone's words and articles to put in his words on his page , just to get clicks is fair game, oh and I took it to heart his hatred for Kenton (no i am not from Kenton) because Kenton kicked Celina's a** every year he was there in football.
Rp2.gif

Defiance is 25 minutes from OG and have the best facilities in the league in baseball, basketball and football......I would hate it if they left.

As far as OG.....they played the last two games and their last two weeks of practice without their HC who is also calls the plays. The loss to Otsego wasn't that surprising based on that fact

You guys and Van Wert are the only trips I would miss if we ever left. VW more because we have over 100 years of history with them.

All moot since we're not leaving, but considering VW and Bryan have their week 1 series, I'd hope if we left and especially if Napoleon was a league game, we'd keep playing you week 1. Easy trip, nice rivalry but lots of respect betweem the programs. I truly enjoy playing OG.