Western Buckeye League 2020

Thanks for providing insight on the WCAL. It seems a bit odd Northwestern is in Region 18, but I guess it's just a widespread region. I've definitely heard of Norwayne and Dalton. Norwayne, of course, bested WBL school Kenton for the state title in 2011. I've seen Dalton is a small school power. I wonder how the largely D5-D7 WCAL will compare to the mostly D3 and D4 WBL. Northwestern is literally a team I've never really heard much about on these discussion boards. Like you mentioned with Dalton, Bath is also a little hot and cold. They have a veteran team and have been competitive in all their games (they beat Kenton, for example), but ultimately went 1-5 through a tough WBL slate with their most surprising loss being a lopsided one to Elida, 27-7. Elida got booted from the first round of the playoffs last weekend. It'll be a long trip for Bath, here's hoping they show up and show out.

Oddly, a small part of Wayne County is still in the 419 area code. West Salem is in that part, pretty much right on the Ashland County line.

Week 8 Friday Games
D3R10: (19) Defiance 13, (3) Bowling Green 56
D3R12: (8) St Marys 6, (9) Franklin 0, OT
Celina 20, Greenville 21 (non-playoff game)

Defiance outgained by only like 30 yards, but 43 point difference...SMH. Surprised St. Marys had to go to OT, anyone have a rundown on that game? And WTF Celina? Lose to an 0-7 team who lost all games by double digits?

Defiance outgained by only like 30 yards, but 43 point difference...SMH. Surprised St. Marys had to go to OT, anyone have a rundown on that game? And WTF Celina? Lose to an 0-7 team who lost all games by double digits?
I didn't listen to any games tonight, so I don't have any insight. But... this is exactly why I don't trust Celina. :LOL:

Riders were unable to get the big push up front that they had been and Franklin was able to move the football. 3 missed or blocked field goals in the game.

How many times can a team get deep in opponents territory and not score? How many botched punt snaps and fumbles can a team have?

Defiance proved last week that talent wise, they aren't a horrible team. But there's so little discipline and it's been an ongoing thing for years now. So frustrating.

Week 8 Saturday Games
D4R14: (8) Kenton 32, (9) Ontario 20
D4R14: (5) Van Wert 46, (12) Port Clinton 20
D5R18: (3) O-G 62, (14) Orrville 0
D5R18: (11) Bath 3, (6) West Salem Northwestern 21
Elida 14, Buckeye Valley 6 (non-playoff game)

I didn't follow along with any of these games, but I guess my upset pick in Bath over Northwestern didn't work out. Nice to see the WBL go 3-1 in playoffs tonight, and 4-1 overall. O-G looking scary powerful. They always seem like the WBL's best bet come playoff season. Impressed to see Kenton handle Ontario as well as they did, and not surprised at all with the VW score. Nice day for the WBL boys.

Last edited:
Week 9 Playoff Games
D3R12: (8) St Marys (6-2) @ (1) Bellbrook (7-0)
D4R14: (8) Kenton (4-3) @ (1) Bellevue (7-0)
D4R14: (5) Van Wert (6-1) @ (4) LaGrange Keystone (7-0)
D5R18: (3) O-G (6-1) vs. (6) West Salem Northwestern (6-1)

Week 9 Regular Season Games
Defiance (1-7) @ Bath (2-6)
Shawnee (3-4) @ Sylvania Southview (1-6)
Celina (3-5) @ Dayton Oakwood (3-5)
Elida (5-3) @ Bishop Fenwick (1-6)
Wapak (3-4), season's over

Last edited:
Just a quick lookover here...some really good records of playoff opponents. However, only Bellevue is a perennial playoff team. Also, because there will be no league champion named this year and no one will really care about the standings, I would've liked to have seen Defiance try to pick up someone it would never play normally instead of two teams it plays every year. Yes, even its rival.

Just a quick lookover here...some really good records of playoff opponents. However, only Bellevue is a perennial playoff team. Also, because there will be no league champion named this year and no one will really care about the standings, I would've liked to have seen Defiance try to pick up someone it would never play normally instead of two teams it plays every year. Yes, even its rival.
Defiance now only scheduled to play at Lima Bath and at Napoleon to close out the season.

I get maybe playing someone else other than usual WBL foe Bath, but I believe the Defiance-Napoleon rivalry is so important to both communities that they had to make sure that it was played this year.

I want to play Bryan. 47 years is long enough, this is the year to do it.

Defiance now only scheduled to play at Lima Bath and at Napoleon to close out the season.
I know, that's why I made my previous comment.
I get maybe playing someone else other than usual WBL foe Bath, but I believe the Defiance-Napoleon rivalry is so important to both communities that they had to make sure that it was played this year.
Yeah, I get that. Would've been a chance to avoid another loss to them though. Then again, I don't think Defiance will ever catch up in the series or even have any kind of extended success again.

To me Defiance-Napoleon is just too important to not play. Even though we're likely to lose. It's like OSU-Michigan (or using a WBL example, Celina-St. Marys.) It just means too much to each side to not play it when it's able to be. Had they made a deep run and it didn't happen, oh well. But knowing both are free, it just has to be played.

Still wish we'd take advantage of the ability to play 12 and schedule a Bryan type old fashioned rival and maybe see if one of the low level NLL schools like Maumee or Southview are available. Next year's kids need to play, and the entire team needs game reps to learn some discipline, not that I'm holding my breath. They've been committing stupid penalties and turning the ball over at will since Klein took over.

Screenshot_20201020-152041.png

What is going on in celina? What is the toxic problem going on there? You lose a game to Greenville who has been beating by double digits all year and once again seems like the past 3 years or so player's quitting before the season is over. Is it the coaching, kids or kids and parents both for allowing them to quit? Just curious.

Updating the list for this weekend's games... With the Defiance-Bath cancellation, Defiance will now travel to play at Milton-Union.

Week 9 Playoff Games
D3R12: (8) St Marys (6-2) @ (1) Bellbrook (7-0)
D4R14: (8) Kenton (4-3) @ (1) Bellevue (7-0)
D4R14: (5) Van Wert (6-1) @ (4) LaGrange Keystone (7-0)
D5R18: (3) O-G (6-1) vs. (6) West Salem Northwestern (6-1)

Week 9 Regular Season Games
Defiance (1-7) @ Milton-Union (5-3)
Shawnee (3-4) @ Sylvania Southview (1-6)
Celina (3-5) @ Dayton Oakwood (3-5)
Elida (5-3) @ Bishop Fenwick (1-6)
Bath (2-6), not playing this week due to COVID
Wapak (3-4), season's over

Oh God. At least it's someone different, but that's a long trip to lose.

Although I guess at 1:51, it's only a half hour longer than the Kenton trip.

Oh God. At least it's someone different, but that's a long trip to lose.

Although I guess at 1:51, it's only a half hour longer than the Kenton trip.
You making the hike there? That’s a good program Defiance is playing.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I'll have to work Friday night, and I'm not connected to the program enough to get tickets in a season like this.

That was definitely my first though, solid program. We'll have our hands full, hopefully we can rep the league well but I fear it won't be pretty lol. But at least the kids get to play.

Are tickets even available to the public? I was kinda hoping to go to the Northwood/Fairview playoff game Saturday, since I think I've been to every playoff game played at Defiance.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I'll have to work Friday night, and I'm not connected to the program enough to get tickets in a season like this.

That was definitely my first though, solid program. We'll have our hands full, hopefully we can rep the league well but I fear it won't be pretty lol. But at least the kids get to play.
It will be streaming. Youtube.com/wmpa
Milton is young this year. I'm expecting a very competitive game.

Last edited:
Anybody know about Van Wert/Keystone streaming? I know WOSN isn't carrying it since VW is traveling so far but didn't know if anybody else out there knew anything.

What is going on in celina? What is the toxic problem going on there? You lose a game to Greenville who has been beating by double digits all year and once again seems like the past 3 years or so player's quitting before the season is over. Is it the coaching, kids or kids and parents both for allowing them to quit? Just curious.
I really do not know what is going on over there. Numbers in baseball, football and basketball are way down.
Numbers were so low in hoops that in JH last year I want to say the kept 15 players on the 8th grade team, and each kid got pretty much equal playing time to try and keep everyone happy and so they would go out as FROSH as the numbers at the HS level were so bad.

All that did was piss off so many of those better players who got hosed on PT. Baseball.....at the youth level they have less kids playing than neighboring towns that have less than half their population. I am all for every kid getting some playing time in Junior High, but the bottom few players should not get the same minutes as the top few players.

Do not know much about the current FB coaching staff, but the previous one was extremely abrasive and not well liked by anyone, even the assistants. It started to really fall apart when Coach Rolfes left in July/August a number of years ago to take a job in North Carolina.

but i hear their soccer program is good......