Western Buckeye League 2020

Receiving stolen property, possessing a firearm and I believe resisting arrest? I just found out he was dismissed from the team so he’ll be a non factor against OG. They should roll easily
Oh wow. Yeah, not your average HS shenanigans.
Should have went in front of a Hardin County judge and he could have had any punishment served *after the football season*.

Too soon?

Oh wow. Yeah, not your average HS shenanigans.
Should have went in front of a Hardin County judge and he could have had any punishment served *after the football season*.

Too soon?
I’ll never forget watching VW play there and the players jogging off after playing the 1st quarter or the first half. Can’t remember the specific time.

I’ve been hearing that Hamilton Badin isn’t as advertised from Wapak players and coaches. They have a good seed, but aren’t the team they were last year. An interesting quote was that “they look soft and slow”. Can anyone second this?

I’ve been hearing that Hamilton Badin isn’t as advertised from Wapak players and coaches. They have a good seed, but aren’t the team they were last year. An interesting quote was that “they look soft and slow”. Can anyone second this?
Could I ask who you heard this from?

Could I ask who you heard this from?

I heard the “soft and slow” quote from a starting player, and i’ve heard general quotes on how Wapak has a good chance to win this week. I watched Badin last year against Trotwood and they definitely did not look soft nor slow. I would say they are a private school version of Ottawa Glandorf. I haven’t watched them play this year so I was curious if anyone who had watched them thinks the same thing.

So Wapak players, coaches and fans are saying Badin is soft and this will be an easy win?

So Wapak players, coaches and fans are saying Badin is soft and this will be an easy win?

I don’t think they are implying that, I think they are saying this won’t look like a game that’s between an 18th and 2nd seed. That they have a real chance to win even though they are heavy underdogs

Wapak only mustered 2 touchdowns in their playoff win over Shawnee. They benefited from Shawnee, like Wapak, having an inept offense. 28 points is the most Wapak has scored in a single game this season. Meanwhile, Badin is averaging 30 points per game... and that's against good competition (D3R12 5 seed Ross, and the GCL Co-Ed). We all know Wapak has playoff and championship caliber defense. That's what won them the game vs. Shawnee. Wapak's most glaring weakness has consistently been their slow one-dimensional offense. I'll absolutely be rooting for Wapak's defense to carry them to a win over Badin, as I always back the WBL, but man even if this Badin team isn't as good as last year, it's pretty clear this Wapak team is also a far cry from previous years playoff teams.

I looked a little into Badin and it appears they've been successful shutting down the power run game. In week 1 they beat Ross 41-7. Ross is known for their ground game. According to the SWOC site, Ross averages 398 rushing yards per game (while only averaging 19 yards passing per game). The WBL stats (which are just weeks 1-6) show Wapak as averaging 226 rushing yards per game (and 37 passing yards per game). This is probably about as equal of a comparison as we'll get, and it seems like Ross is notably better than Wapak this season, and Badin beat them 41-7. The GCL Co-Ed stats are missing info for Alter's defense, but Badin has the top rush defense and overall defense, so I think that'll be tough for Wapak. Badin also limited Alter to 12 points and they have a strong ground game as well (Alter averages 330 rushing yards per game). I mean, stats only tell you so much. Wapak is a tough physical team. I would love to see them pick up a win against the GCL. I'm just not sure they have the horses in this one.

I’ll never forget watching VW play there and the players jogging off after playing the 1st quarter or the first half. Can’t remember the specific time.

I was down at OSU listening to the Defiance-Kenton game in 06 (won by Defiance, 14-7, the season of the incident), and at one point our radio announcers made a comment that Kenton's QB "looked like a deer in the headlights."

I lost it.

I personally think the more intriguing playoff matchups this week in the league are:

(8) Kenton (3-3) vs. (9) Ontario (5-2)
(11) Bath (2-5) vs. (6) West Salem Northwestern (5-1)

Ontario has put up points this season. While Kenton went through a tough WBL schedule, Ontario has a competitive loss to 6-0 Shelby and a win over 5-2 River Valley.

Bath is a team I've just rooted hard for this season. They showed they weren't your ordinary 1-win team as they smoked a terrible Swanton team in the first round of playoffs. Northwestern is obviously no Swanton, but I'd venture to say the WBL is a tougher league than the WCAL. Will it be enough for them to pull off another win? I'm not sure. They're the underdogs, but I'm pulling for them.

*Defiance is 4-0 against NLL teams in the playoffs (1-0 against BG) but that streak will probably end here. One thing about last week is that I don't think Defiance turned the ball over at all - that's almost unheard of these days. It will probably take that and some more for Defiance to have a chance. I think BG is a running team, Defiance is going to have to play well on the lines again because it will have to score a few TDs to have a chance.
*Badin looks like a decent scoring team, Wapak's strength is its defense. But the bigger mismatch might be Wapak's offense against Badin's defense and that could be the difference in the game, as Badin's schedule is no worse than Wapak's, if not tougher.
*It's Franklin for St. Marys. Riders easily move to 4-0 all time in the playoffs against the Wildcats.
*Port Clinton has played some good teams, but hasn't scored much in its 3 losses. Van Wert's offense can outgun PC in a high-scoring game. Both programs have been solid in recent years after long stretches of futility.
*Kenton has had a pretty uneven season. Ontario looks to be pretty solid against some good competition. No clue on this one, really.
*O-G has had several close wins this year. In the past, Orrville would many times be a concerning opponent. But with 2 blowout losses and close wins against some bad teams, I can see O-G winning this one easily.
*I'm going to say Bath's schedule is tougher than Northwestern's, although the Huskies are a perennial playoff team and a couple of its opponents have made some noise in past playoffs. I think it could be close and wouldn't surprise me if Bath wins two playoff games in the same season for the first time since 1992.

Need to keep the Badin is soft talk off of here. I ran my mouth on twitter one year about trotwood and wapak game few hours later I was being followed by half the trotwood football team and school learned my lesson.

2020-10-15 12_07_17-WOSN Sports on Twitter_ _We have confirmed that Wapakoneta’s playoff footb...png

Wapakoneta forged ahead with COVID problems early this season but now decides to pull the plug?? Wonder if it was the school or county health board that made that call.

I personally think the more intriguing playoff matchups this week in the league are:

(11) Bath (2-5) vs. (6) West Salem Northwestern (5-1)

Bath is a team I've just rooted hard for this season. They showed they weren't your ordinary 1-win team as they smoked a terrible Swanton team in the first round of playoffs. Northwestern is obviously no Swanton, but I'd venture to say the WBL is a tougher league than the WCAL. Will it be enough for them to pull off another win? I'm not sure. They're the underdogs, but I'm pulling for them.
As someone who follows Wayne & Stark Co football I can tell you that you're right on the money here. WCAL was flat BAD this year. Norwayne is a powerhouse, Dalton is talented, but schizophrenic. Those were easily the best 2 teams. And they're D6. Northwestern beat Dalton by 1 in a weird game, but they played great defense. They gave up half a hundred to Norwayne. The Huskies have not seen a "decent" D5 school and Bath's season, while not great results, shows some quality games. Could see this being an "upset" strictly because of seeding.

Guess those players wont get to see how “ soft” Badin is....I think they were in for a whoopin but will never know now

As someone who follows Wayne & Stark Co football I can tell you that you're right on the money here. WCAL was flat BAD this year. Norwayne is a powerhouse, Dalton is talented, but schizophrenic. Those were easily the best 2 teams. And they're D6. Northwestern beat Dalton by 1 in a weird game, but they played great defense. They gave up half a hundred to Norwayne. The Huskies have not seen a "decent" D5 school and Bath's season, while not great results, shows some quality games. Could see this being an "upset" strictly because of seeding.
Thanks for providing insight on the WCAL. It seems a bit odd Northwestern is in Region 18, but I guess it's just a widespread region. I've definitely heard of Norwayne and Dalton. Norwayne, of course, bested WBL school Kenton for the state title in 2011. I've seen Dalton is a small school power. I wonder how the largely D5-D7 WCAL will compare to the mostly D3 and D4 WBL. Northwestern is literally a team I've never really heard much about on these discussion boards. Like you mentioned with Dalton, Bath is also a little hot and cold. They have a veteran team and have been competitive in all their games (they beat Kenton, for example), but ultimately went 1-5 through a tough WBL slate with their most surprising loss being a lopsided one to Elida, 27-7. Elida got booted from the first round of the playoffs last weekend. It'll be a long trip for Bath, here's hoping they show up and show out.