Western Buckeye League 2020

The league does seem very balanced. Who knows what that means come playoff time.

In my personal opinion it will end with many first round exits. I think the reason this year the WBL is so balanced is because no team has an immense amount of talent that Wapak and St. Mary’s and some years Kenton and OG have enjoyed the past 4-6 years. I would say Cornell is the only player you could argue is the best in the state at his respective position, MAYBE Treece if he can lead Van Wert to a deep run. I can’t think of a single standout name from any of the other WBL teams.

Week 6 Games

Van Wert (4-1) @ Bath (1-4)
Celina (3-2) @ St Marys (3-2)
Defiance (0-5) @ Wapak (1-4)
Shawnee (3-2) @ Elida (3-2)
Kenton (3-2) @ O-G (4-1)

Last edited:
A bit awkward that the week 7 playoff matchups are overshadowing tomorrow's games, but since brackets were released today here are where the WBL teams fall:

Division/Region, Seed, Teams

D3R10: (19) Defiance vs. (14) Bay
D3R12: (8) St Marys vs. (25) Greenville
D3R12: (12) Elida vs. (21) Monroe
D3R12: (14) Celina vs. (19) Carroll
D3R12: (15) Shawnee vs. (18) Wapakoneta
D4R14: (5) Van Wert BYE WEEK, plays winner of (12) Port Clinton vs. (21) Perkins
D4R14: (8) Kenton BYE WEEK, plays winner of (9) Ontario vs. (24) Vermilion
D5R18: (3) Ottawa-Glandorf BYE WEEK, plays winner of (14) Orrville vs. (19) Fairview
D5R18: (11) Bath vs. (22) Swanton

Full brackets are available to view here: https://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tourna...ll-2020/2020-OHSAA-Football-Playoffs-Coverage

This years format allows for a postseason for some WBL teams that haven't seen the playoffs in a long time. And also gives them matchups against teams they probably haven't gone up against before... well unless you're Shawnee vs. Wapak. Not surprised that in D3R12 there's a matchup of two WBL teams. It was bound to happen. Interested in round two of that, as well as how this very even WBL season goes when they face out of league competition.

This will be the third time WBL teams have faced off in the playoffs.
And the second time in the first round.
And the first time St. Marys is not involved.

This will be the third time WBL teams have faced off in the playoffs.
And the second time in the first round.
And the first time St. Marys is not involved.
What was the first time? I know it was just a couple years ago that SM knocked out VW in D4R14. I figured given this season with every team being eligible and half of the league being in D3R12, I expected some matchups. Usually, as we can see with your examples, it's a bit more rare since only a couple WBL teams typically make playoffs and they're spread out across multiple divisions/regions.

What was the first time? I know it was just a couple years ago that SM knocked out VW in D4R14. I figured given this season with every team being eligible and half of the league being in D3R12, I expected some matchups. Usually, as we can see with your examples, it's a bit more rare since only a couple WBL teams typically make playoffs and they're spread out across multiple divisions/regions.

Bath beat St. Marys 18-12 in a 1985 Division III regional semifinal (first round) game.

Week 6 WBL Finals
Van Wert 29, Bath 7
St Marys 49, Celina 6
Wapak 28, Defiance 0
Elida 21, Shawnee 16
O-G 34, Kenton 27

Final Regular Season Standings
5-1 O-G
5-1 Van Wert
4-2 Elida
4-2 St Marys
3-3 Celina
3-3 Kenton
3-3 Shawnee
2-4 Wapak
1-5 Bath
0-6 Defiance

D3R10: (19) Defiance vs. (14) Bay
D3R12: (8) St Marys vs. (25) Greenville
D3R12: (12) Elida vs. (21) Monroe
D3R12: (14) Celina vs. (19) Carroll
D3R12: (15) Shawnee vs. (18) Wapakoneta
D4R14: (5) Van Wert BYE WEEK, plays winner of (12) Port Clinton vs. (21) Perkins
D4R14: (8) Kenton BYE WEEK, plays winner of (9) Ontario vs. (24) Vermilion
D5R18: (3) Ottawa-Glandorf BYE WEEK, plays winner of (14) Orrville vs. (19) Fairview
D5R18: (11) Bath vs. (22) Swanton
Anyone have thoughts on these first round of playoff games for WBL teams? Based on seeding, WBL teams are the "favorite" in all matchups expect for Defiance. I'm excited to see how WBL teams fare against these opponents.

No doubt it is interesting seeing matchups that would never happen in a normal season. I don't know anything about most of those teams, but Bath could have one of the largest wins by a 1-win team in the first round of the playoffs.

Anyone have thoughts on these first round of playoff games for WBL teams? Based on seeding, WBL teams are the "favorite" in all matchups expect for Defiance. I'm excited to see how WBL teams fare against these opponents.
I started another thread with WBL Playoff Pickem if anyone is interested.

No doubt it is interesting seeing matchups that would never happen in a normal season. I don't know anything about most of those teams, but Bath could have one of the largest wins by a 1-win team in the first round of the playoffs.
I agree. I was surprised to see 1-5 Bath at an 11 seed. They're ahead of most 2-3 teams and even a couple 3-2 teams. They are one of the better 1-win teams out there. I have no idea about West Salem Northwestern, but that's who the winner of Bath-Swanton gets. I'd be cool to see Bath win a couple games.

Out of all the teams, Celina probably gives me most pause to pick them. They have a tough matchup against a GCL team. And honestly I think I've picked Celina wrong almost every week in the pick'em. I just don't have a good pulse on them lol. The Celina-Dayton matchup is also the closest seed matchup of the week (aside from Wapak-Shawnee).

Week 7 Playoff Scores

Defiance 27, Bay 10
St Marys 56, Greenville 21
Monroe 27, Elida 10
Wapak 15, Shawnee 0
Carroll 42, Celina 39

D5: (11) Bath vs. (22) Swanton is tomorrow.

Van Wert, O-G, Kenton all on bye weeks

Some thoughts on the games tonight. I tried to follow along with a couple different broadcasts as it's exciting to have so many WBL teams in playoff action.

(19) Defiance over (14) Bay, 27-10
--The folks at Bay had a YouTube stream of this game which was awesome. I was actually really impressed with Defiance's offense in this game. It was obviously their best performance of the season, and I bet that tough WBL slate prepared them well for this game. Defiance seemed to be dominating the line of scrimmage on offense, and had a lot of success with their running game as they had multiple weapons. They even had a couple good passes. The Defi defense held on strong. At one point, it looked like Bay got in the end zone and was about to cut the Defi lead to 20-17, however that TD was called back for holding. Who would've thought Defiance, of all teams, would pick up a playoff win?? Nice job Bulldogs!

(18) Wapak over (15) Shawnee, 15-0
--This was an intriguing match-up as it was a rematch of a week 4, Shawnee 9-7 win. Wapak didn't seem to be at full strength for that game, but was for this week 7 playoff rematch. It was a 0-0 halftime score. It looked like Wapak had chances in the first half as they drove into Shawnee territory on about every drive, but just couldn't finish. Wapak seemed to muscle past Shawnee in the 2nd half as they went up 13-0. Wapak turned it over on downs close to the Shawnee goal line in 4Q, then Shawnee on offense got called for intentional grounding in their own end zone which gave Wapak a safety, the ball back, and the ability to run the clock out. It was the first time Shawnee had been shutout this season, and the second straight defensive shutout for the Wapak defense. Good win for Wapak.

(8) St Marys over (25) Greenville, 56-21
--The score was a lot worse than the final indicates. The Roughriders roughed up the Green Wave to the tune of a 42-0 halftime score. Stark contrast to the Wapak-Shawnee halftime score. :LOL: St Marys, with a running clock, eventually went up 56-6, before Greenville got on the scoreboard a couple more times. SM benefited from a couple early Greenville fumbles, and then St Marys just ran right through their defense as SM had a lot of LONG TD runs. Not much to say with this one, it was a clear mismatch. Higher seed prevailed.

(21) Monroe over (12) Elida, 27-10
--This one was a little more lopsided than I thought it'd be. Monroe darted out to a 21-0 lead, before Elida nailed a FG as time expired in the first half. I saw a tweet that the Monroe rushing attack piled up like 250 yards rushing in the first half alone. Elida defense seemed to be getting shredded and Elida's offense no where to be found. However, Elida rallied in the 2nd half getting a TD to cut it to 21-10. Elida then appeared to be close to another TD, but was picked off by Monroe at the goal line. Elida had chances in the second half, but was again picked off and Monroe returned it to the house. 27-10, Monroe too much for Elida. Just as surprised as I was to see Elida get a 4-2 record in the regular season, I'm surprised at the outcome of this game. Still what a year for Elida, hopefully they get some games scheduled these next couple weeks.

(19) Carroll over (14) Celina, 42-39
--Unless Bath-Swanton pulls something crazy tomorrow, this may have been the most exciting game to follow along with. Celina started off red hot. They got a TD, recovered an onside kick, scored another TD, recovered ANOTHER onside kick, and went up 13-0 before Carroll even knew what hit them. It was then a 20-7 Celina lead over Carroll before things started to go wrong for the Bulldogs. Carroll went on a scoring spree to go up 28-20. Bulldogs then had to rally as they found themselves down 42-32, as they added another TD. Unfortunately, time ran out on them as this one had to come to an end. The difference in this game? Extra points. Celina missed one early (when they went up 13-0) and then missed a potential tying 2-pt conversion (28-26, Carroll lead). I personally picked Carroll to win, but I'm impressed with the fight Celina showed.

Overall, WBL went 2-2 tonight (excluding Wapak-Shawnee). Defiance with the most surprising win and Elida with probably the most surprising loss. Notably with the 5 WBL teams in D3R12, it's now just the Auglaize County teams left standing as St Marys and Wapak won, while Elida, Celina, and Shawnee get knocked out of the tournament.

Last edited:
Hot damn! Who would've thought the first Defiance win of the season would be its first playoff win since 2003, and against a program that has had 6 or 7 playoff wins in the last 7 years or so? Ends a 3-game playoff losing streak for the Bulldogs, although as a big statistician like me, I feel there should always be an asterisk for 2020 playoff stats. Rarely in recent years has Defiance scored as many as 27 points and given up as few as 10 in the same game. The last time Defiance had a bigger margin win was against an 0-10 Bath team in Week 5 of two seasons ago, and only one other time since 2014, against 0-10 Shawnee in 2015.
And damn tucson, thanks for the post, great rundown on things.

I said awhile ago it would be hilarious (and entirely possible) that Defiance goes 1-10 or 1-11 and the win was in the playoffs. Just didn't expect the victim to be Bay! Honestly, we play like that and the rest of our "regular season" gets played....I give us a shot against Celina and Bath. Not calling us favorites, or expecting it, just wouldn't be shocked. This team is young and now has the confidence of a big road playoff win. Hopefully whatever BG does to us next week doesn't ruin that confidence.

Apologies to everyone who was in the pick em ai abruptly stopped....I recently got a 3rd shift job and it's taking up all my free time. I totally forgot about it, honestly.

Week 7 Playoff Scores

Defiance 27, Bay 10
St Marys 56, Greenville 21
Monroe 27, Elida 10
Wapak 15, Shawnee 0
Carroll 42, Celina 39

D5: (11) Bath vs. (22) Swanton is tomorrow.

Van Wert, O-G, Kenton all on bye weeks
Bath 37, Swanton 0

WBL ended up going 3-2 against out of league opponents in first week of playoffs.

Last edited:
Week 8 Playoff Games
D3R10: (19) Defiance @ (3) Bowling Green
D3R12: (8) St Marys vs. (9) Franklin
D3R12: (18) Wapak @ (2) Badin
D4R14: (8) Kenton vs. (9) Ontario
D4R14: (5) Van Wert vs. (12) Port Clinton
D5R18: (3) O-G vs. (14) Orrville
D5R18: (11) Bath @ (6) West Salem Northwestern

Week 8 Other Games
Celina (3-4) @ Greenville (0-7)
Elida (4-3) vs. Buckeye Valley (3-4)
Shawnee, TBD

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Marqauel Parks will be back for Orrville? He was arrested earlier this season. If he is back, definitely make the OG game more interesting, OG has struggled in the playoffs defending against athletic backs (that one back from Bishop Hartley, can’t think of his name off the top of my head)

Does anyone know if Marqauel Parks will be back for Orrville? He was arrested earlier this season. If he is back, definitely make the OG game more interesting, OG has struggled in the playoffs defending against athletic backs (that one back from Bishop Hartley, can’t think of his name off the top of my head)
What was he arrested for?

Week 8 Playoff Games
D3R10: (19) Defiance @ (3) Bowling Green
D3R12: (8) St Marys vs. (9) Franklin
D3R12: (18) Wapak @ (2) Badin
D4R14: (8) Kenton vs. (9) Ontario
D4R14: (5) Van Wert vs. (12) Port Clinton
D5R18: (3) O-G vs. (14) Orrville
D5R18: (11) Bath @ (6) West Salem Northwestern

Week 8 Other Games
Celina (3-4) @ Greenville (0-7)
Elida (4-3) vs. Buckeye Valley (3-4)