Western Buckeye League 2020

HighSchoolFB45

Well, the 2010s are over and we’re entering a new decade of football. The 2010s in review:

WBL Champions:
Kenton (2010, 2011, 2013, 2019)
Ottawa-Glandorf (2012, 2016)
Wapakoneta (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
St. Mary’s (2016, 2017, 2018)

No State Champions

Final Four Appearances:
Kenton (2011, 2013, 2014)
Elida (2011)
St. Mary’s (2018)

Regional Final Appearances:
Kenton (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014)
Elida (2011)
Ottawa-Glandorf (2012, 2016, 2019)
Wapakoneta (2014, 2015, 2018)
St. Mary’s (2016, 2018)

Playoff Appearances:
Kenton (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2019)
Elida (2010, 2011, 2012, 2017)
Ottawa-Glandorf (2010, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2019)
Wapakoneta (2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
Defiance (2013)
Celina (2015)
St. Mary’s (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

I would consider the team of the decade between Wapak and Kenton. Kenton has had deeper playoff runs, but Wapak has more WBL titles and playoff appearances. I would put OG, St. Mary’s and Elida in whatever order following.

I’d like to hear your guy’s top 5 players of the decade, and your predictions for the 2020 football season.

My top 5 would have to be in no order Maty Mauk, Noah Furbush, Quentin Poling, Reggie McAdams and Justin Sawmiller.

I predict Kenton to win the league, with Cornell winning offensive back of the year honors. Finishing behind them will be some combination of Wapakoneta, OG, St. Mary’s and Bath. I don’t see the other teams being much, Defiance and Shawnee graduates strong senior classes, Van Wert loses some good pieces and don’t have enough returning, Elida doesn’t bring back much at all, and Celina is Celina.

I (selfishly) want the WBL to go to a two-game non conference schedule in weeks 1 and 2, and then schedule a bunch of WBL vs MAC games. I believe Versailles vs Celina and Coldwater vs Kenton have been good series for years. I would think more such series would be good also, unless victories over D6 and D7 schools bring too few Harbin points for the bigger WBL schools - and there’s always the risk of losing when playing the stronger MAC teams.
Anyway, that’s what I wish would occur. I would like to see ML start out the season against both St. Mary’s and Wapak, for instance. I believe those games would generate great interest, draw big crowds, and prepare all the squads for their respective conference play.

I (selfishly) want the WBL to go to a two-game non conference schedule in weeks 1 and 2, and then schedule a bunch of WBL vs MAC games. I believe Versailles vs Celina and Coldwater vs Kenton have been good series for years. I would think more such series would be good also, unless victories over D6 and D7 schools bring too few Harbin points for the bigger WBL schools - and there’s always the risk of losing when playing the stronger MAC teams.
Anyway, that’s what I wish would occur. I would like to see ML start out the season against both St. Mary’s and Wapak, for instance. I believe those games would generate great interest, draw big crowds, and prepare all the squads for their respective conference play.

I would like for a two game non conference also, but i would only like some WBL/MAC crossovers with the lesser WBL teams. Wapak would never do a home and home with the MAC because they already scrimmage Coldwater and Minster and 7 on 7 Marion Local and they want to schedule bigger schools for harbins. That’s why they scheduled D2 Springfield Holland, I guarantee the top tier MAC schools are better but Holland plays in a league where they are guaranteed 7 wins almost every year so that’s easy harbins.

I would like to see that as well but will never happen. Other than Coldwater, ( I know Celina plays Versailles ) WBL schools are not going to play ML ( for sure ) or other MAC schools. Why would WBL create a scheduling head ache for their AD's by copying the MAC ?

I'm coming around to the 8 game thing just because of Defiance's travel. We'd be one school that DEFINITELY wouldn't be playing the MAC though. Bryan, with Wauseon or the NLL as backup options for us.

But if we could trade a trip to Kenton or St. Marys or Wapak for a return of our 2nd biggest historical rival (and a school less than 20 miles away), I'd be ok.

That’s why they scheduled D2 Springfield Holland, I guarantee the top tier MAC schools are better but Holland plays in a league where they are guaranteed 7 wins almost every year so that’s easy harbins.
Disagree here, they’re almost guaranteed 2 league losses (AW/Pburg) and usually Napoleon, BG or NV in recent history have been tough and I wouldn’t be surprised if Springfield starts to decline. 4-6 wins seems likely for them moving forward depending on other OOC games.

Disagree here, they’re almost guaranteed 2 league losses (AW/Pburg) and usually Napoleon, BG or NV in recent history have been tough and I wouldn’t be surprised if Springfield starts to decline. 4-6 wins seems likely for them moving forward depending on other OOC games.

Their schedule was tough this year with TCC, then like you said every year they have guaranteed losses to PB and AW. But in 2018 they went 7-3 and in 2016 they went 10-0. I’m not familiar with their program so i’m not sure if they are going to decline or what.

I'm coming around to the 8 game thing just because of Defiance's travel. We'd be one school that DEFINITELY wouldn't be playing the MAC though. Bryan, with Wauseon or the NLL as backup options for us.

But if we could trade a trip to Kenton or St. Marys or Wapak for a return of our 2nd biggest historical rival (and a school less than 20 miles away), I'd be ok.
We wouldn't expect Defiance to come all the way down here to play MAC schools but renewing the rivalry with Bryan would be neat.

We wouldn't expect Defiance to come all the way down here to play MAC schools but renewing the rivalry with Bryan would be neat.

Absolutely. And the possibilities elsewhere are fun. ML/Wapak or St. Marys would be all kinds of fun. Maybe the other plays Coldwater. The Lima schools making a deal to play DSJ on a rotating basis.

Then again if the idea is to collect Harbins....maybe not.

And that would be a nightmare with someone having a bye every week weeks 2-10.....
There wouldn't be bye weeks. If Kenton or Defiance ever left the WBL, the other would be voted out, and they'd move to an 8-team league.

What does the WBL look like for next year? Any teams of note that will compete for the league?

Kenton should be the favorite, they return the best player in the WBL in Cornell and will have a strong senior class. Reminds me of Anna’s senior class this past year with all of the talent. Wapak and St. Mary’s should compete like always. Surprise team will be Bath. Don’t be surprised when they have a 6-4, 7-3 type of season

Well, the 2010s are over and we’re entering a new decade of football. The 2010s in review:

WBL Champions:
Kenton (2010, 2011, 2013, 2019)
Ottawa-Glandorf (2012, 2016)
Wapakoneta (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
St. Mary’s (2016, 2017, 2018)

No State Champions

Final Four Appearances:
Kenton (2011, 2013, 2014)
Elida (2011)
St. Mary’s (2018)

Regional Final Appearances:
Kenton (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014)
Elida (2011)
Ottawa-Glandorf (2012, 2016, 2019)
Wapakoneta (2014, 2015, 2018)
St. Mary’s (2016, 2018)

Playoff Appearances:
Kenton (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2019)
Elida (2010, 2011, 2012, 2017)
Ottawa-Glandorf (2010, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2019)
Wapakoneta (2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
Defiance (2013)
Celina (2015)
St. Mary’s (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

I would consider the team of the decade between Wapak and Kenton. Kenton has had deeper playoff runs, but Wapak has more WBL titles and playoff appearances. I would put OG, St. Mary’s and Elida in whatever order following.

I’d like to hear your guy’s top 5 players of the decade, and your predictions for the 2020 football season.

My top 5 would have to be in no order Maty Mauk, Noah Furbush, Quentin Poling, Reggie McAdams and Justin Sawmiller.

I predict Kenton to win the league, with Cornell winning offensive back of the year honors. Finishing behind them will be some combination of Wapakoneta, OG, St. Mary’s and Bath. I don’t see the other teams being much, Defiance and Shawnee graduates strong senior classes, Van Wert loses some good pieces and don’t have enough returning, Elida doesn’t bring back much at all, and Celina is Celina.
Quick correction - Van Wert Playoff appearance 2018. :)

I would like to see that as well but will never happen. Other than Coldwater, ( I know Celina plays Versailles ) WBL schools are not going to play ML ( for sure ) or other MAC schools. Why would WBL create a scheduling head ache for their AD's by copying the MAC ?
Recent Wapak and St. Mary's teams would likely hammer ML and most any MAC school. OG would most likely beat alot of MAC schools, and Kenton has been good competition. But, yes. Outside of them, the lower level WBL schools wouldn't chance the loss. They need Harbin points outside of their own league, with a 9 game schedule.

The very reason a league would go to the 8 game league schedule would be to garner more Harbin points. Look at the teams that go undefeated but can't make the playoffs because of their weak conference. It wasn't like WBL schools were gaining huge points last year off of Defiance and the likes. It is very reasonable (and in many cases necessary) to go to an 8 game league schedule and go find a worthy and long term opponent.

Recent Wapak and St. Mary's teams would likely hammer ML and most any MAC school. OG would most likely beat alot of MAC schools, and Kenton has been good competition. But, yes. Outside of them, the lower level WBL schools wouldn't chance the loss. They need Harbin points outside of their own league, with a 9 game schedule.

The very reason a league would go to the 8 game league schedule would be to garner more Harbin points. Look at the teams that go undefeated but can't make the playoffs because of their weak conference. It wasn't like WBL schools were gaining huge points last year off of Defiance and the likes. It is very reasonable (and in many cases necessary) to go to an 8 game league schedule and go find a worthy and long term opponent.

This is a pretty bold statement. Coldwater beat Kenton 49-7 the first game of the year, and Wapak lost to Kenton 13-10. However, in Wapak and Coldwater’s scrimmage they looked pretty equal with Kaeck, two starting linebackers out and an offensive line that changed completely because of how poor it was in the scrimmage. I would have liked to see Wapak and Anna play this year.

This is a pretty bold statement. Coldwater beat Kenton 49-7 the first game of the year, and Wapak lost to Kenton 13-10. However, in Wapak and Coldwater’s scrimmage they looked pretty equal with Kaeck, two starting linebackers out and an offensive line that changed completely because of how poor it was in the scrimmage. I would have liked to see Wapak and Anna play this year.
Yeah. I'm not sure how bold it is. Coldwater lost to Archbold, who lost to Bryan, who lost to Liberty Center, who lost to Van Wert, who lost to Wapak.......I appreciate head to head comparisons but not conference game comparisons to OOC game comparisons. Throw records out the window. I also never take anything away from scrimmages. Most scrimmages are vanilla (at least they should be) in order to prep players for schemes and ideas for the season. However, duly noted. You have more info than myself on the matter of watching live.

From a style standpoint, Wapak's big line and running game (similar to St. Marys) would match up extremely well to the MAC. I'm fairly confident that neither team is "scared to play ML". But rather would want Harbin points from bigger schools.

Somehow Wapak and SM would hammer the MAC, yet Elida couldn't compete in the NWC in most sports. Not to mention, somehow Elida would ever GO to the NWC.

Wow. Simply, wow.

Somehow Wapak and SM would hammer the MAC, yet Elida couldn't compete in the NWC in most sports. Not to mention, somehow Elida would ever GO to the NWC.

Wow. Simply, wow.
We talking football or all sports? Haha! Don't mix up posts. I also proclaimed that your Defiance team would have zero chance against the MAC.

Last edited:
Yeah. I'm not sure how bold it is. Coldwater lost to Archbold, who lost to Bryan, who lost to Liberty Center, who lost to Van Wert, who lost to Wapak.......I appreciate head to head comparisons but not conference game comparisons to OOC game comparisons. Throw records out the window. I also never take anything away from scrimmages. Most scrimmages are vanilla (at least they should be) in order to prep players for schemes and ideas for the season. However, duly noted. You have more info than myself on the matter of watching live.

From a style standpoint, Wapak's big line and running game (similar to St. Marys) would match up extremely well to the MAC. I'm fairly confident that neither team is "scared to play ML". But rather would want Harbin points from bigger schools.

I have faith that Wapak and St. Mary’s could beat teams in the MAC just because they have the perfect blend of size and athleticism in the trenches to not get pummeled. However, Wapak is much more prone to technical mistakes, such as dropped wide open passes, blown coverages, or false starts than the best MAC schools. A Wapak vs Marion Local game would be a great one to watch

I have faith that Wapak and St. Mary’s could beat teams in the MAC just because they have the perfect blend of size and athleticism in the trenches to not get pummeled. However, Wapak is much more prone to technical mistakes, such as dropped wide open passes, blown coverages, or false starts than the best MAC schools. A Wapak vs Marion Local game would be a great one to watch
MSML is real down and I would expect a wapak team to run all over ehm.

Quick correction - Van Wert Playoff appearance 2018. :)

I forgot about them. I’d pair them with 2014 OG as great teams that were overshadowed by two other great teams (11-3 Kenton, 12-1 Wapak for OG in 2014) (12-2 St. Mary’s and 11-2 Wapak for Van Wert in 2018). Van Wert realistically could have been playing in the state semi finals in 2018 if they didn’t share a region with St. Mary’s.

Speaking of Wapak....

Which coach is good friends with someone at NBC sports football coverage? He told a quick story how he visited his good friend who coaches football at Wapakoneta High School.........