Weird stadiums

You're right about that. The game or games I'm referring to were within the past 5 or 6 years after OWU installed turf. I'm pretty sure the place hosted a DI playoff game.
I thought, in addition to this, OWU was considered as a possible site for the NCAA D3 national championship in football?

OWU has also hosted OHSAA baseball tournament games, interestingly.

Last edited:
Selby Stadium was built in the late 1920s. Its listed capacity was 9100 fans which makes it the largest stadium in NCAA DIII, but here's what you have to remember: In those days, there wasn't much distinction between colleges as far as being DI, DII, DIII, etc. At that time, OWU was routinely playing against the likes of Ohio State and Michigan who had already built their enormous stadiums. OWU saw what could happen about 20 miles downstream on the Olentangy River. If anything, OWU was probably dreaming of having to expand their facility someday. Instead, it is as you said generally a very empty stadium on game day.
Good stuff about how there wasn't really a distinction of football programs until fairly recently. Selby is a cool old place, it is not the largest D3 football stadium though, it is in Ohio, but not the US. University of Whitewater seats over 13,000, and University of Wisconsin Oshkosh seats about 10,000 and even though St. John's in Minnesota technically only seats about 7500, they regularly get well over 10,000 in attendance. They even have D3 attendance record at over 17,000!
Some of the best football can be found at the D3 level, many think it's just like high school, and it is way above, especially at the higher level programs.

You're right about that. The game or games I'm referring to were within the past 5 or 6 years after OWU installed turf. I'm pretty sure the place hosted a DI playoff game.

I think you are correct. I was just stating the fact that OHSAA must have felt the stadium was good enough to host state title games at that time since they did play two there. I didn't see either of them so I don't know how parking worked out, etc. I did see the Class AAA and AA title games in 72 and the Class AAA title game in 73.

Good stuff about how there wasn't really a distinction of football programs until fairly recently. Selby is a cool old place, it is not the largest D3 football stadium though, it is in Ohio, but not the US. University of Whitewater seats over 13,000, and University of Wisconsin Oshkosh seats about 10,000 and even though St. John's in Minnesota technically only seats about 7500, they regularly get well over 10,000 in attendance. They even have D3 attendance record at over 17,000!
Some of the best football can be found at the D3 level, many think it's just like high school, and it is way above, especially at the higher level programs.

You're right. Anyone who has followed all levels of college football knows that you have to be an above average HS player to play at the DIII level, and the top DIII programs are often bolstered by transfers from larger programs.

To me the best Div 3 stadium in Ohio is at Denison, it sits in a natural bowl and is surrounded by nice landscaping and the old Frats over look the field. Amenities including parking are great too which leads to a vibrant tailgate scene.
_xkDY5a_Pidndufyd02RDF9zCvbw9JbvndxlVpV9naPutDUqUFBjY1RMmtksexxXyyGovRgBrw5OFBOfzLwKVQ

5587785_SQhCp83wrV_mF7n1BPGe2xR2uzSvJ2yveDoAJL9jpg8.jpg

To me the best Div 3 stadium in Ohio is at Denison, it sits in a natural bowl and is surrounded by nice landscaping and the old Frats over look the field. Amenities including parking are great too which leads to a vibrant tailgate scene.
_xkDY5a_Pidndufyd02RDF9zCvbw9JbvndxlVpV9naPutDUqUFBjY1RMmtksexxXyyGovRgBrw5OFBOfzLwKVQ

5587785_SQhCp83wrV_mF7n1BPGe2xR2uzSvJ2yveDoAJL9jpg8.jpg

Looks like Muskingum is going to have a pretty nice new setup as a result of this gift:

If I am understanding this properly, it looks like the pressbox will be connected to an indoor athletic facility. One rendering even shows a fitness center overlooking the football field.

Muskingum has a similar set up as Denison in that the stadium sits in a natural bowl in the middle of campus with Frats over looking the stadium, I always thought a nice update could take it to the next level. A little worried that the giant facility behind the home stands will take away the charm but then again it will be cool inside the building over looking the field. One thing for certain is there will be limited folks in the stands in bad weather as they will all flock to underneath or inside the new athletic facility.

629c5821-4151-4e00-a93e-79c250164fd1-03_zan_muskingum_project.jpg

Muskingum has a similar set up as Denison in that the stadium sits in a natural bowl in the middle of campus with Frats over looking the stadium, I always thought a nice update could take it to the next level. A little worried that the giant facility behind the home stands will take away the charm but then again it will be cool inside the building over looking the field. One thing for certain is there will be limited folks in the stands in bad weather as they will all flock to underneath or inside the new athletic facility.

629c5821-4151-4e00-a93e-79c250164fd1-03_zan_muskingum_project.jpg
Agreed, I actually like Muskingum much better than Denison personally.

Agreed, I actually like Muskingum much better than Denison personally.

I went to a summer camp there a few times in high school and liked the "traditional campus" charm there. The modern look didn't excite me at first but I don't think I can really fairly say until I see in person this project completed.

I believe John Glenn High School shares the field?

I went to a summer camp there a few times in high school and liked the "traditional campus" charm there. The modern look didn't excite me at first but I don't think I can really fairly say until I see in person this project completed.

I believe John Glenn High School shares the field?
Yes, JGHS shares the field for now. They tried to pass a levy two years ago but it didn't fly. It would have paid for a new field and several other items. However, they did manage to put in a turf field of their own where they will be playing soccer and lower level football for now. Not the best design/location to accommodate spectators so they will still be using MU field for varsity games.

You do know Withrow is located in the richest neighborhood in Cincy Proper, I wouldn't consider that "typical ghetto" by any means.

It really shouldn't be a big deal to be wanded anywhere anymore... It happens at the Reds, Bengals, Kings Island, etc. I'm actually extremely surprised it isn't mandatory at every high school stadium.
I was always struck by how cool Withrow HS was. The red brick, the foot bridge, the clock tower, the setting for their football stadium, the new basketball building, and now their baseball set up. The whole place looks like something Thomas Jefferson would have designed. I agree, the neighborhoods around the school are top shelf. Oakley, Hyde Park, O'Bryonville, that don't suck...

A couple of other unique stadiums up in NE Ohio happen to be CVC rivals Kirtland and Cuyahoga Hts.

Rogers Field home of the Kirtland Hornets has a unique setup, the visitors bleachers are a small concrete structure with a small press box placed inside the track while the home side is metal bleachers and the press box up on top of the school roof. What makes Rogers unique is that you can literally stand on the side walk outside the fence and watch a game for free along Rt.306. Many Kirtland supporters perch themselves right across the street and you are able to still watch the game. They have a nice setup with a full fledge tailgate as well. Definitely worth checking out.

9fc50a9bff36b1dbb324ee2acd3b012c.jpg

Adams Field in Cuyahoga Hts is pretty unique based on the fact the stadium is perched up on a cliff and beyond the visitors bench down the cliff is I-77. The home side is just a concrete grand stand the houses both the home and visitors fans.

1f84511c055a7659fd2b1b0d8933329d.jpg

kirtlands visitors side used to be the home side in the 70’s and possibly most of the 80’s. My dad played fir Kirtland and graduated in 78’ so I got some history on Rogers Fielf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, any HS stadium with a track around it blows. Lake Blue Streak stadium in Stark co. is weird, the visitor side is on a giant hill and the stands are, or were dangerous, zero hand railings.

IMO, any HS stadium with a track around it blows. Lake Blue Streak stadium in Stark co. is weird, the visitor side is on a giant hill and the stands are, or were dangerous, zero hand railings.
Funny you should mention that about the hand railings. That stadium opened in 1987. I can't believe that building codes in place at the time allowed for that. That would never fly today.

But I have been there a few times - sitting on either side. I thought it was a pretty cool stadium.

If out of state is on the table, one must mention Barrow, Alaska, literally a stone's throw away from the Arctic Ocean.

96f4f4fc18e6d149b89973257126a2f5.jpg

I watched a documentary about how Barrow started its football program and before they received their turf, they literally spray painted the field markings on the dirt/tundra mix. Talk about rug burn!
Yeah. I saw the documentary too and it was more pea gravel than any type of compacted dirt. I lived in Fairbanks for 4 years. Here's a game between the Barrow Whalers and Eielson AFB HS at Eielson from 4 Oct 2014. As there are no roads between Fairbanks and Barrow, the team has to fly to play all of its away games. The state athletic association has a very large budget for travel.

Attachments

• IMAG2486.jpg
    IMAG2486.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG2489.jpg
    IMAG2489.jpg
    679.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG2495.jpg
    IMAG2495.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 48