Weird stadiums

Urbana "Hillclimber" Stadium is unique....sits right in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Visitors side is up on the hill and it leaves very little room on the sidelines.
OIP.jpg

My parents live just up the road from there. I have always wanted to work a game in that stadium.
Having only been there 1 time for a Mogadore playoff game looking forward to going again when JFK enters PTC league. But which is considered the home stands?? Concrete side??

Having only been there 1 time for a Mogadore playoff game looking forward to going again when JFK enters PTC league. But which is considered the home stands?? Concrete side??
No. The side with the press box is the home side. The old concrete side is the visitor side. The field logo at the 50 faces the home side.

Urbana "Hillclimber" Stadium is unique....sits right in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Visitors side is up on the hill and it leaves very little room on the sidelines.View attachment 7160
I like their setting! I love facilities where people just walk to the stadiums! That is getting fewer and fewer.

2018 the field look like it had some sort of disease, but last season it looked fine.

Hole Field in Versailles used to literally have concrete stands built INTO the earth until they did the renovation, which is top notch.

Seems by picture the visitors side is actually bigger and more seating.
I actually think so too. My memory might be hazy but I'm sure Warren Harding had the home fans on that side at some point. Maybe just when the home side was redone.

The press box in on the Visitor side at some stadiums, and the midfield logo sometimes faces the Away side too. I'm guessing that more than few schools have reversed the home and away side for various reasons over the years which could be a reason for press box ending up on away side.

Because of safety concerns I want to say for a while sections of the east side stands were closed at Mollenkopk Stadium.

Because of safety concerns I want to say for a while sections of the east side stands were closed at Mollenkopk Stadium.

I'm pretty sure it was in 1997. I remember going to watch Harding play Canton McKinley at YSU that season because they had the stands closed for that game at least.

It’s turf, so if I am Urbana HS I find a way to acquire that stadium and some of the other facilities there.
The two facilities are actually only 2 miles from one another; 6-7 mins apart.

But here is a weird stat. Capacity at the high school is listed at 2500, while at the university it is listed at 1700

Urbana U and HS.JPG

Last edited:
Olentangy Liberty...you’re 40 yards from the field.
I did a year of volunteering at Liberty when I was in college. It blew my mind then that the stadium configuration was that bad. The visitors side is way further off the field than the home side.

And they did the same thing with recently built Berlin, too!

I did a year of volunteering at Liberty when I was in college. It blew my mind then that the stadium configuration was that bad. The visitors side is way further off the field than the home side.

All the new stadiums built with new big schools seem to have the stands far from the field. It sucks

Well, Liberty is bad for the visitor side. Reminds me of Austintown Fitch. But weird that for liberty it's just the visitor side.
Screenshot_20200517-022540_Maps.jpg

The worst I've seen in Ohio, both sidelines, would be East Palestine.

Screenshot_20200517-022651_Gallery.jpg

But nothing compares to the worst stadium I've ever seen. East Jessamine in Kentucky. It's just one of the weirdest layouts ever. The stadium didn't even sit on a hillside. There is a slight depression the field sits in, but there's no reason they couldn't build the stadium closer to the field.

Screenshot_20200517-022622_Maps.jpg

The two facilities are actually only 2 miles from one another; 6-7 mins apart.

But here is a weird stat. Capacity at the high school is listed at 2500, while at the university it is listed at 1700

View attachment 7204

Eh. Not sure that's as weird as it seems. In Defiance, the high school's capacity is listed at 4500, snd the college is 4000.

Actually, the weird thing there is that Urbana U was D2 and played in a 1700 seat stadium. Not sure there's a smaller college stadium in Ohio, and that includes all the D3s.

I did a year of volunteering at Liberty when I was in college. It blew my mind then that the stadium configuration (Olentangy Liberty) was that bad. The visitors side is way further off the field than the home side.

Interesting - identical configuration on both stadiums. I'm guessing those are long jump runways in front of the visitor bleachers? And what is that structure in the middle, even with the 50?

Ah, didn't think about that. I could see it casting a shadow, thought it was a taller structure.

Olentangy Liberty...you’re 40 yards from the field.
Well, Liberty is bad for the visitor side. Reminds me of Austintown Fitch. But weird that for liberty it's just the visitor side.
View attachment 7219

The worst I've seen in Ohio, both sidelines, would be East Palestine.

View attachment 7217

But nothing compares to the worst stadium I've ever seen. East Jessamine in Kentucky. It's just one of the weirdest layouts ever. The stadium didn't even sit on a hillside. There is a slight depression the field sits in, but there's no reason they couldn't build the stadium closer to the field.

This what happens when you have an abundance of real estate to build your stadium on. It is the opposite of what happened at St. Vincent St. Mary. Not all that uncommon to many stadiums.

When the old Green Street Stadium was torn down after the 2005 season, the new turfed field had to be moved 150 feet north, and rotated 15° west to gain enough real estate to be able to have a regulation sized soccer pitch. In doing so, the revised seating configuration had to be downsized on the visitor side. The NE corner of the visitor stands is now something like only 18" away from the boundary of the property line. The stadium is land locked as terrain falls away quickly to the adjacent train tracks.

Capture.JPG

This what happens when you have an abundance of real estate to build your stadium on. It is the opposite of what happened at St. Vincent St. Mary. Not all that uncommon to many stadiums.

When the old Green Street Stadium was torn down after the 2005 season, the new turfed field had to be moved 150 feet north, and rotated 15° west to gain enough real estate to be able to have a regulation sized soccer pitch. In doing so, the revised seating configuration had to be downsized on the visitor side. The NE corner of the visitor stands is now something like only 18" away from the boundary of the property line. The stadium is land locked as terrain falls away quickly to the adjacent train tracks.

View attachment 7235
Been there for the Big Red game in 2006. Nice stadium.

Wondering if the Olentangy schools were designed to host regular season and OHSAA track meets?

Maybe you have to have a certain arrangement as far as location of field events closer to the track etc?

Totally guessing here and I don't know what's required.

I helped a school design a fundraising campaign brochure for a stadium upgrade project that included a track and remember them discussing that they needed to do things a certain way if they wanted to host track meets.

Eh. Not sure that's as weird as it seems. In Defiance, the high school's capacity is listed at 4500, snd the college is 4000.

Actually, the weird thing there is that Urbana U was D2 and played in a 1700 seat stadium. Not sure there's a smaller college stadium in Ohio, and that includes all the D3s.

Notre Dame College in South Euclid has what is best described as a miniscule stadium. Maybe they can seat 1,000 but not sure.
New-Campus-Map-2016_0.jpg

It's so small that they have a CYO vibe in that more folks are standing along the fence than can fit into the stands>
maxresdefault.jpg

DiSanto Field at Case-Western Reserve Univ. is cool.

I always liked Shaker Hts stadium where you can walk out of the school right into the home stands.

That is a cool look at Shaker.

The only school I can think of around Cincinnati with that kind of setup is Angus King Stadium at Withrow:

King.png

They are also rather unique for having a backwards J-shaped "half bowl" stadium.

Withrow.jpg

Wondering if the Olentangy schools were designed to host regular season and OHSAA track meets?
Maybe you have to have a certain arrangement as far as location of field events closer to the track etc?
I don't think so, unless they've changed the requirements lately. At Hamilton Township, we have two high jump pits outside of one endzone, and separate LJ and PV runways in the other endzone. Bleachers on both sides are right up to the track. And we've hosted District meets a number of times in the last 5 or 6 years.

Maybe we're grandfathered in, I dunno.