Weird stadiums

I always liked football fields in towns. Not too long along everyone in seo played in their town besides Athens. Then the state gave everyone a new school and moved them out of the towns.

Weehawken Stadium sits atop the Lincoln Tunnel in New Jersey.

Attachments

• Google Maps.jpg
    Google Maps.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 300
What's left of Weirton, WV's Jimmy Carey Stadium, wedged in by Weirton Steel.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AS9vaFa5xNQ

Without a doubt one of the best videos I have seen in a very long time. Not only does it speak of high school football but of a time and place that most of us on here lived or experienced. This thread has been the best...experience the new, the past, and one of the reasons why we like high school football

Reddengineer all I can say....what a video

Not really a 'weird' stadium, but just a neat one is Bucktail in Renovo, PA.

The school is sandwiched in a steep valley. To the east is a river. To the west is a railroad and a road. To get to the school, there's a bridge to get from the road to the school over the train tracks. The field is to the north of the school.

Bucktail is the smallest school in PA that's not part of a co-op. Their place in a steep valley gives it some great views from all angles.

Looking south-southeast:

Love them hills...

Looking north:

Looking due south:

Looking southeast to the home side:

love them hills.. gorgeous

Does anyone have a picture of Eaton's old stadium? I remember playing there and using the first row of bleachers as a bench.

https://goo.gl/maps/8MR8SVz4Hm46Ptvu8
Trona HS (California) definitely qualifies as weird; per Wikipedia

Trona's football field is all-dirt and is known as "The Pit". The high school maintenance crew keeps the field free of stones and they regularly drag the field to keep the surface from getting too hard. The field is watered on game day and leveled to ensure that the playing surface is safe for all participants.

Until several years ago an annual game was played against Boron High School. Referred to as the Borax Bowl by some, the game was a matchup of two mining towns that are world leaders in producing potash and borax, minerals used in a number of products.

Trona_High_School

Miami Trace

Home side bleachers are attached to the HS. For the longest time they served as the only bleachers. People usually stood along Panther Alley to watch the game. Last year was the last year for the school and bleachers. They are being torn down now and will be building new bleachers to use for the years to come.

Attachments

• MT Football.jpg
    MT Football.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 181
  • MT football 2.jpg
    MT football 2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 153
  • MT football 3.jpg
    MT football 3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 176
  • MT football 4.jpg
    MT football 4.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 146
Miami Trace

Home side bleachers are attached to the HS. For the longest time they served as the only bleachers. People usually stood along Panther Alley to watch the game. Last year was the last year for the school and bleachers. They are being torn down now and will be building new bleachers to use for the years to come.

Nice pics. Last time I went there for a game - 20 years ago? - all the seating was on the building side. Did not know they'd added visitor bleachers since.

Miami Trace

That is very perfectly weird. I love it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If they host a game during the Noble County Fair, they usually host it on Thursday night. What's great, is the admission to the fair includes your access to the game. It's great getting fair food and being able to walk it into the stadium to watch a game.

Plus, it's covered, so no matter the weather, rain or glaring sun, you're protected.

With Bridgeport closed, the stadiums with roofs that I know of are:

Chagrin Falls, Martins Ferry, Bellaire, and Caldwell
Add Tanks Stadium in Ironton and Hoover Stadium In North Canton

A sub genre to this might be stadiums located in neighborhoods and not attached to the High School, I have always had a soft spot for these and they create a cool atmosphere. The previous mentioned Shaw is a good example and I guess back in the day when East Cleveland was a flourishing suburb it was a big tradition for the band to march from the school through the city to the field. Another located in a neighborhood is Don Paul in Fremont. Any others in Ohio?
Kenmore Stadium In Akron is right in the middle of a neighborhood.

Reminds me of taking 7 from Youngstown down along the river. Massive population decrease. Portsmouth and Marietta used to be gigantic schools. Marietta is now midsize and Portsmouth is small

In the late 70s the 9-12 enrollment in Portsmouth was just shy of 1,500 students. This past October, 2019 Portsmouth HS (9-12) clocked in at under 400 students. In 1978 PHS had over 400 students in the 9th grade class alone. Now they can't get more than 400 for the entire high school.

Marietta is similar. Late 70's Marietta HS sporting an enrollment over 1,700 students. That has now dipped to just over 700 students.

I would imagine schools from East Liverpool down to Portsmouth and up to outside Cincinnati have all seen their enrollments cut in half.

When the school was there and a big game, it was loud there. Fans right on top of the field and the school closed it in on the north side and the south side closed in with the hill and railroad tracks. Add the all brass band. Fun atmosphere to have played in.

A stadium that just had its last game played back in November was always my favorite (where I grew up/played). St. Marys Skip Baughman Stadium. A set of train tracks overlooked the stadium and the self named "Tracker Backers" used to line the tracks on Friday nights.

web1_SkipBuaghmanField-DS1.jpg

The field was better, when the school was still there.

2010-04-01_3_full.jpg

Those are the only pics I could find under a quick search.

Mollenkopf Stadium use to be a great place to see a game, not so much anymore and could be classified as weird. I agree that without the school and the gym in the northern end zone it is a Football Stadium in a ugly almost brown field like setting, especially with an asphalt ring between the field and the stands. The scoreboard is not as cool either, I miss the big panther on the top.
ugC5JuC.jpg

One thing that is still cool though is the band shell with the neon "W" above it.
dsc_4030_t625.jpg
My parents live just up the road from there. I have always wanted to work a game in that stadium.

I always liked football fields in towns. Not too long along everyone in seo played in their town besides Athens. Then the state gave everyone a new school and moved them out of the towns.
I brought that up awhile ago about something else. I love the schools that are still in the middle of their towns, as well as the stadiums. Just more character.
Check out Minster's Hanover Street field!
Houses get pelted with batted balls taht make it around/over the nets!

When the school was there and a big game, it was loud there. Fans right on top of the field and the school closed it in on the north side and the south side closed in with the hill and railroad tracks. Add the all brass band. Fun atmosphere to have played in.
Believe it just got tore down very recently.