Weekly Big Game Tracker

open24

Divisions 1-3

We'll do a separate thread for 4-7 so lists aren't so bulky.

Let me know the big games this season week by week. I'll try to keep the original post updated as we go. Obviously this will be fluid as the season goes on as teams surprise or disappoint. Any info appreciated ... location, any special time etc...

WEEK 1 --
Mentor @ St. Ed's - *** Thursday ***
Cincy Colerain @ Huber Hts. Wayne
Harrisburg (PA) @ Hoban
Avon Lake @ Avon
SVSM @ Massillon
Lima Central Catholic vs. Lima Senior

WEEK 2 --
St. Ignatius @ Mentor
Detroit Cass Tech (MI) @ St. Ed's *** Saturday ***

WEEK 3 --
Cle St. Ignatius @ Archbishop Hoban
St. Ed's @ Erie Prep
Euclid @ Canton McKinley
Solon @ Stow

WEEK 4 --
St. Ignatius @ DeMatha Catholic (MD)
Akron East @ Dover
Penn Trafford (PA) @ Massillon
Cincinnati Elder @ St. Ed's *** Saturday ***

WEEK 5 --
Hoban @ SVSM * Holy War *
Pickerington North @ Dublin Coffman
St. Xavier vs Archbishop Moeller @ Nippert UC
St. Ed's @ Winton Woods - Saturday

WEEK 6 --
Mentor @ Solon
Stow @ Wadsworth
Rockledge (FL) @ St. Ignatius *** Saturday ***

WEEK 7 --
Solon @ Euclid
Gateway (PA) @ Massillon
Canton McKinley @ Jackson
St. Ignatius @ St. Ed's *** Saturday ***

WEEK 8 --
Massillon @ Barberton
St. Ignatius @ Cinci Moeller *** Saturday ***

WEEK 9 --
Canton McKinley @ Perry (Massillon)
Euclid @ Mentor
Cinci Moeller @ St. Ed's *** Saturday ***
Cin St. Xavier @ St. Ignatius *** Saturday ***

WEEK 10 --
National Christian Academy (MD) @ St. Ed's
Massillon @ Canton McKinley *** Saturday ***

Last edited:

WEEK 10 —Massillon Washington @ Canton McKinley——130th Game

Week 10 - Chippewa vs. Rittman for the big chief trophy. Personally I would rather watch anything than this mess. Both programs going down the tubes but I heard they both hired new coaches so there is a plus

Week 10 - Chippewa vs. Rittman for the big chief trophy. Personally I would rather watch anything than this mess. Both programs going down the tubes but I heard they both hired new coaches so there is a plus
1986 Rittman Indians led by Tommy Lycans, Donnie Mutters, Mike Knapic and many more were a loaded small town team from waaaayyy back. Went 10-0, lost to Margaretta (spelling?) first round. If Tommy Lycans hadn't got injured vs. Smithville, they may have won it all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is a great thread but I think you should limit it to weekly. "Big games" in week 9 are hard to predict unless you are being a homer.

1986 Rittman Indians led by Tommy Lycans, Donnie Mutters, Mike Knapic and many more were a loaded small town team from waaaayyy back. Went 10-0, lost to Margaretta (spelling?) first round. If Tommy Lycans hadn't got injured vs. Smithville, they may have won it all.

Typical small school middle school crap. Win against a bunch of nobodies then run into a halfway decent team and get drilled!:Ohno:

This is a great thread but I think you should limit it to weekly. "Big games" in week 9 are hard to predict unless you are being a homer.
What I plan to do once the season starts is add/subtract games once things start shaking out. You make a great point. What seems like a good late season match up now may fizzle out by game time. Also, there will be surprise teams that will make for unexpected big games.

I almost don't want to post this, because neither program are what they were even 10-15 years ago, but....

Week 1. Thursday the 29th. The 96th edition of the "Maumee River Rivalry," Napoleon @ Defiance. If nothing else, anyone who happens to be in NW Ohio that night can come check out one of the fiercest rivalries at least in this part of the state a night before most other teams around here start. Football is football, right?

Game itself might not be horrible either. Both programs rebounded decently after matching 1-9 seasons in 2017, Defiance going 4-6 and Napoleon 6-4 last year.

What I plan to do once the season starts is add/subtract games once things start shaking out. You make a great point. What seems like a good late season match up now may fizzle out by game time. Also, there will be surprise teams that will make for unexpected big games.

:clap:

Week 9: Canton McKinley @ Perry Panthers :thumb:

Always keep the faith!

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

Mike Schmitz's squad.....

I almost don't want to post this, because neither program are what they were even 10-15 years ago, but....

Week 1. Thursday the 29th. The 96th edition of the "Maumee River Rivalry," Napoleon @ Defiance. If nothing else, anyone who happens to be in NW Ohio that night can come check out one of the fiercest rivalries at least in this part of the state a night before most other teams around here start. Football is football, right?

Game itself might not be horrible either. Both programs rebounded decently after matching 1-9 seasons in 2017, Defiance going 4-6 and Napoleon 6-4 last year.
Glad you did. I'm not familiar with that rivalry but I enjoy learning about rivalry games and traditions from other schools. Is it always week 1?

Week 2 Dover at Canfield
Week 4 Akron East at Dover
Week 6 Steubenville at Dover
Week 10 new Phila at Dover 116th meeting

Week 5 Pickerington North at Dublin Coffman - Double digit number of D-1 players and a few very high end guys a lot of speed on the field .

Coffman won last years game 31-28 . More defense not as many points likely this year but a really interesting match- up

Avon Lake at Avon in Week 1. Friday night August 30 at 7pm.

It’s a conference game. The two teams shared last season’s Southwestern Conference title. Avon Lake won the game last season and both teams qualified for the D2 playoffs. The two towns border each other, but it is a rivalry characterized by respect and not hatred.

Week 1
Massillon Perry at Canton Central Catholic **Thursday Night**
The 22nd consecutive edition of the Battle of 13th Street, a.k.a. the Battle of St. Joan of Arc.

The schools' stadiums are located slightly more than 1 mile apart along 13th St. SW. Last year, Perry held on for a 28-27 victory after a failed 2 pt. conversion attempt by Canton CC with :44 to play. The 2 teams burned through 4 consecutive timeouts, 1 by Canton CC and 3 by Perry, before the 2 pt. play occurred. Perry leads the overall series 13-8.

From the KMAC(Knox Morrow Athletic Conference) all of the week ten games are traditional/local rivalries.
Danville at East Knox
Centerburg at Fredericktown
Highland at Northmor
Mt. Gilead at Cardington called the battle of 42 (State Route about 5 miles apart)
With the exception of Highland being D4 and Fredericktown D5, these are all D6 and D7 schools and the games are just as big for them and their fans as any other division level teams in the state.

Last edited: