Week Three Meets on tap to keep an eye on

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
Mason Invitational - OVTC told me people can stand near the finish line and watch the whole race unfold on what he calls TV.
Tiffin Carnival - Always amazes me how the big boys (i.e, St. Xavier, St. Ignatius) battle each other in not one but two separate races DIA, DIB
Troy Invitational - Some run here just becase it's the site of SW Regional meet.
Walsh Jesuit Pat Ritchie Inv. - Who was Pat Ritchie?
McGowan Inv. Call this meet a mega meet as they get big numbers in all 3 races (DI, DII, DIII), DII race last year had 330 finishers and 26 teams scoring.

Last edited:

Tiffin Carnival D3 Girls will be entertaining. I believe the top 5 state ranked teams will be there.

No sarcasm intended. Thanks for posting this which I was unaware of
Pat's a bit rough around the edges but a good dude who loves the sport and gave everything he had to Walsh Jesuit. He even drove the team bus.

The meet was called the "Tomahawk Run" for many years until being renamed in honor of Pat after his retirement. He coached WJ to 2 state titles ('84 and '02) plus several other high finishes at state. IIRC, he had a large hand in coaching WJ boys XC to the district/regional level for 36 or 37 straight years. That streak was snapped in 2015 which was right around the time he retired.

Pat was 2nd oldest boy in a family of 16 children. His parents started a sporting goods store in Tallmadge that's still in business today. Pat ran at the U. of Akron in the mid-70s and coached at Mogadore for a short time before being hired at Walsh Jesuit where he had the opportunity to coach a few of his younger brothers who had pretty good careers (Shannon and Josh). Josh was part of that great Ohio Class of '93 w/ White, Rexing, and Hesson where all 4 of them placed in the top 8 at Foot Locker Nationals.

Dover may not have the girth that the other aforementioned meets have, but the course is no joke, and the meet has been around for over 50 years.

Jackson opted not to host its David Ziesmer Invitational anymore. They'll keep their labor force fresh for when they host the Federal League Meet in mid-October, and it frees them up to attend a different meet this weekend.

Also, the Wooster Invitational could draw a few decent teams. Hudson has gone there in recent years, and I believe Louisville is also attending.

The U. of Akron's Tommy Evans Invitational might have some potential, but neither Wooster nor Walsh Jesuit are far away. It's held at the dedicated XC course at Silvercreek Metropark which is the U. of Akron's home course and site of last year's All-Ohio Collegiate Meet. Hopefully, the HS teams attending will show up early and watch the college races in the morning.

EDIT: I completely forgot about Brecksville's Bruce Lerch Invitational. Woodridge traditionally attends that meet, so that's a big start to assembling a good competitive field.

Last edited:
Mason did win their DI boys race beating a hot shot team from TN, Siegel 77-102. Gahanna was third with 145, 32 teams scored. Gahanna has a nice 1-2 punch but don't have the depth to run with the big dogs, i.e., St. Xavier and Mason.