Week 9: Elder(3-5) vs. Football North Canada(1-3)

ElderHSfan02

Trying to look at the bright side of being 3-5, they are still in position to secure a home playoff game if they win these last 2 games. Elder currently sits 8th which would be a home playoff game, but they will likely jump Colerain for the 7th spot if they win the last 2 games and Colerain loses to either Princeton or Lakota West(or lose to both).

This is the last regular season home game for the Panthers and senior night. Ideally, Elder puts Football North away by 4th quarter and all the seniors get in.

Football North is 1-3 according to JoeEitel
Capital Prep Harbor(CT) Won 49-6
Life Christian Academy(VA) Lost 26-20
Mentor Lost 41-19
St. Edward Lost 38-7
10/15 Elder
10/23 St. Ignatius
11/5 IMG Academy

They played Eds tough early last week. I’d like to see Elder’s Offense go more up tempo. Can anyone verify if Roncali was in a Prevent D on Elder’s final TD. It didn’t seem like they were, in which case, Elder flew down the field rather easily to score that last TD with about 3:30 left.

And it goes w/o saying, but the D has to tackle better. IDK what they’re doing in practice, but it’s not working. And while the DL is a bit small, the back 7 is not. Adding to that, there’s been slower, less athletic back 7s that have tackled better than this group. There really is no legitimate reason for them to struggle so much with tackling.

Elder by 14 this week. Don’t think all the Seniors will get in. I’d like to Thank all the Seniors, especially the ones that been dedicated for 4 years to Elder Football and may have never touched the field.

Elder by 14 this week. Don’t think all the Seniors will get in. I’d like to Thank all the Seniors, especially the ones that been dedicated for 4 years to Elder Football and may have never touched the field.
You can’t have it both ways. Either you play the brutal schedule and some kids never see the field or you find 1-2 patsies to get those kids PT. And btw, all of those kids got in vs Beacon Hill, which you said was a dumb game to play.

And it goes w/o saying, but the D has to tackle better. IDK what they’re doing in practice, but it’s not working. And while the DL is a bit small, the back 7 is not. Adding to that, there’s been slower, less athletic back 7s that have tackled better than this group. There really is no legitimate reason for them to struggle so much with tackling.
Do you watch anything but high school football? Tackling is poor on every level of football!

Do you watch anything but high school football? Tackling is poor on every level of football!
You really need to stop with the excuse making. Elder judges itself by the highest standards and even though they might not have the talent to stack up with the top tier this year, you expect them to play fundamentally sound and disciplined football. And that has not been the case really all year, but especially the past 2 weeks. This isn’t 1 or 2 weak links being repeatedly exposed by Offenses, it’s the entire Defense.

Last edited:
The defense did force 4 punts and held Roncalli to 168 yards rushing. For a team that has a very good and big offensive line and that likes to run the ball, that is not too bad. I'm not saying it's great, but it was a team loss. You can't point to one side of the ball or one position group on this last loss.

The defense did force 4 punts and held Roncalli to 168 yards rushing. For a team that has a very good and big offensive line and that likes to run the ball, that is not too bad. I'm not saying it's great, but it was a team loss. You can't point to one side of the ball or one position group on this last loss.
Yes, you can. Bc when they really needed a stop late in the 4th qtr, the D fell apart.

And I’m still waiting for Tardy’s response. He wants to play the most ridiculously difficult schedule possible but then makes a backhanded comment like that. You can’t have it both ways

And I’m still waiting for Tardy’s response. He wants to play the most ridiculously difficult schedule possible but then makes a backhanded comment like that. You can’t have it both ways

Both sides of the ball contributed to this loss. The defense didn't get the stop when they needed it at the end, but the offense didn't finish multiple drives. I'm talking about this specific game not the season overall.

Curious about something. Why not give Drew a chance at QB? The offensive line is the weakness. Why not have Drew be the QB, be a real threat to run every play and see if it opens up the passing game more? I know we lose Drew as reciever, but we have capable receivers. Right now we just have no running game. Run QB Pass-Run options and I think they may be more dangerous.

Curious about something. Why not give Drew a chance at QB? The offensive line is the weakness. Why not have Drew be the QB, be a real threat to run every play and see if it opens up the passing game more? I know we lose Drew as reciever, but we have capable receivers. Right now we just have no running game. Run QB Pass-Run options and I think they may be more dangerous.

I think they could try that more, but it is also week 9. I think you got to keep improving with what you got at this point.

They played Eds tough early last week. I’d like to see Elder’s Offense go more up tempo. Can anyone verify if Roncali was in a Prevent D on Elder’s final TD. It didn’t seem like they were, in which case, Elder flew down the field rather easily to score that last TD with about 3:30 left.

I was surprised they hung with Ed's so long. Ed's looked flat and Kilbane was not playing also. Football North looks like they have improved a little, better than in the past. They have a huge offensive line. They have a good talent at WR in #80 junior, Mekhi Tyrell.

I still think Elder will play well and come away with a win.

Agree, I asked the same thing weeks ago. It's a numbers game, you get an extra blocker, and you make the defense okay more discipline.

I think it's good to have that package in, but it's not something they can run full time. The offensive line can't get enough of a push to be a running team. The extra blocker helps which is why you see Elder run that a lot in the goal line and short yardage situations.

Elder is moving the ball. They just can't afford to not finish drives against good teams. Roncalli is a very good team. Lou. St. X is a very good team. These were similar games Elder could have/should have won, but both games the other team made more plays.

The other thing I wanted to mention is Ben Hambleton is a very, very accurate QB. The GCL sports website stats go back to 2004. He has the highest completion percentage 69.8% of any Elder QB since 2004. This is against a very difficult schedule and getting pressured a lot. The interceptions are a little high, he needs to work on that. Of course we don't know if any of those were miscommunication or just a bad read/throw on him. His completion percentage in 2020 was 67.1% so his accuracy is definitely not a fluke.

I should note that the receivers do a good job catching the ball. Obviously, a QB can only do his part in putting the ball in good spot for WR. A QB with a high completion percent also has good WRs catching the ball. Drew never has a drop.

He hasn’t been coached up as a QB. He’s a supreme athlete, but to be a passing threat as QB, you have to be able to make the reads, have good footwork and pocket awareness.

That said, I wouldn’t mind seeing Ramsey throw more out of the Wildcat.

I am not saying run the wildcat plays full time. Run your normal offense like they did with Peyton. Run option plays with Drew and a running back. Hambleton is fine, a good QB, this is about giving them a better chance to win games against the better teams they play. Hambleton is almost no threat to run, or atleast not one that puts pressure on the defense. Having Drew in at QB makes the defense commit a spy on passing plays, because of the threat to take off and run. He can also crush defenses on blitz with a draw. On running downs, it keeps the defense on their toes with a qb-rb option.

Again, this is not about benching Hambleton, its about addressing the offensive line the only way possible. That is putting in a more mobile threat at QB.

He hasn’t been coached up as a QB. He’s a supreme athlete, but to be a passing threat as QB, you have to be able to make the reads, have good footwork and pocket awareness.

That said, I wouldn’t mind seeing Ramsey throw more out of the Wildcat.
He is the coaches son and has played QB before. I am sure his dad has coached him up on a lot of what your saying he needs to be able to do.

The other thing I wanted to mention is Ben Hambleton is a very, very accurate QB. The GCL sports website stats go back to 2004. He has the highest completion percentage 69.8% of any Elder QB since 2004. This is against a very difficult schedule and getting pressured a lot. The interceptions are a little high, he needs to work on that. Of course we don't know if any of those were miscommunication or just a bad read/throw on him. His completion percentage in 2020 was 67.1% so his accuracy is definitely not a fluke.
I’d have to say close to half those Ints weren’t his fault bc he had to get the ball away after an unblocked Blitzer had a free shot at him. The int he threw at the end of the 3rd qtr last week was bad and that’s something he needs to never do again. It’s a cardinal sin in QB play to throw across your body to the middle of the field. The only QBs that could get away with that were Marino and now Mahomes.

He is the coaches son and has played QB before. I am sure his dad has coached him up on a lot of what your saying he needs to be able to do.
It takes a lot more than just knowing the Offense. He could fill in for a game if something happened
,but ultimately he doesn’t have a lot of experience making throws down field or in tight windows. And that’s not something you can pick up in a few weeks.

I am not saying run the wildcat plays full time. Run your normal offense like they did with Peyton. Run option plays with Drew and a running back. Hambleton is fine, a good QB, this is about giving them a better chance to win games against the better teams they play. Hambleton is almost no threat to run, or atleast not one that puts pressure on the defense. Having Drew in at QB makes the defense commit a spy on passing plays, because of the threat to take off and run. He can also crush defenses on blitz with a draw. On running downs, it keeps the defense on their toes with a qb-rb option.

Again, this is not about benching Hambleton, its about addressing the offensive line the only way possible. That is putting in a more mobile threat at QB.
And again, it takes a lot of work, even at this level, to develop the skills needed to be an effective passer. He would do fine in an emergency situation, but eventually teams would stack the box and force him to throws down field, which he’s never had to do. And since he hasn’t been developed as a QB, I’m guessing he doesn’t have a lot of arm strength.

I would be curious to see what the defense did if during series 2 or 3 in a given game, #12 was behind center. Surely they could develop a package where they have 4-5 run plays and 4-5 passing plays that they could execute for 2-3-4 plays at a time.

I'd also like to see him throw more out of the wildcat stuff. 2-3 throws a game to keep the defense honest. Heck even a jet pass with Hambleton in the game handing to Ramsey would force the defense's hand. Play the run or get burnt by the pass.

none of this works without a huge offensive line......don't you guys know that. coaches can't adapt to their players skill levels. without a huge offensive line, no chance of winning.

i need to look up the size of texas a&m oline. to beat a team like alabama, they had to be huge.

jtk
()

It takes a lot more than just knowing the Offense. He could fill in for a game if something happened
,but ultimately he doesn’t have a lot of experience making throws down field or in tight windows. And that’s not something you can pick up in a few weeks.
[/QUOT
none of this works without a huge offensive line......don't you guys know that. coaches can't adapt to their players skill levels. without a huge offensive line, no chance of winning.

i need to look up the size of texas a&m oline. to beat a team like alabama, they had to be huge.

jtk
()
No kidding, everyone knows a big line is better. Going wildcat helps your small line, reduces blitz, eats clock, helps defense by moving chains and better field position, reduces turnovers, bodes better in bad weather, creates big holes for Flowers. Don't YOU know that?

I would be curious to see what the defense did if during series 2 or 3 in a given game, #12 was behind center. Surely they could develop a package where they have 4-5 run plays and 4-5 passing plays that they could execute for 2-3-4 plays at a time.

I'd also like to see him throw more out of the wildcat stuff. 2-3 throws a game to keep the defense honest. Heck even a jet pass with Hambleton in the game handing to Ramsey would force the defense's hand. Play the run or get burnt by the pass.
There’s a big difference bw having a package of plays for Ramsey at QB vs him running the entire Offense. I do think he should throw more from the Wildcat, but it’s not realistic to think he could step in and be QB1 w/o major issues.

jtk
()
The point is, a more mobile and running QB is usually better behind a weak oline than a pocket passer. With a pocket passer, the defense can just tee off with blitzes. A mobile QB forces the defense to be a bit more conservative.