Week 9: Austintown Fitch (7-1) vs Boardman (4-4)

8 in a row and counting Kenneth. 43-32-1 overall. Loving it!!!
He’s not N even a Boardman fan so why are you rubbing on the loss?
I stayed out game week because it was just Fitch fans patting their backs about how great they are and taking shots at Boardman on support. Yet you couldn’t even fill half your home side last night for your big rival, with a great team you have. So maybe the “Kenneth” guy was right. Don’t throw stones when your support is not spectacular.

I’m sure we’ll touch base on the boys hoops forum this winter, where Fitch fans really show up to discuss Falcons hoops and show in the stands too. Wonder why that is with such a great fanbase?

Great win for the Falcons - nothing but respect for the team though. You should make some noise in R5. Unfortunately Hoban is Hoban and there’s a few other very good teams.

I stayed out game week because it was just Fitch fans patting their backs about how great they are and taking shots at Boardman on support. Yet you couldn’t even fill half your home side last night for your big rival, with a great team you have. So maybe the “Kenneth” guy was right. Don’t throw stones when your support is not spectacular.

I’m sure we’ll touch base on the boys hoops forum this winter, where Fitch fans really show up to discuss Falcons hoops and show in the stands too. Wonder why that is with such a great fanbase?

Great win for the Falcons - nothing but respect for the team though. You should make some noise in R5. Unfortunately Hoban is Hoban and there’s a few other very good teams.
I never said a single negative word about Boardman! The opposite. I said they would come out and battle, and they did. Easy on the attacks.

These are kids playing the game, and I never bash them. I was only responding to someone who had something negative to say to me. As for the stands and fans, I could care less how empty they are. I will continue to support the Falcons. Always have and always will thru whatever season they have. It must be tough to see the Spartan glory days long gone year after year.The game is over now so I'm done with this thread. I'll leave you with one final thought. You llost AGAIN, so get over it.

I never said a single negative word about Boardman! The opposite. I said they would come out and battle, and they did. Easy on the attacks.
I didn’t intend it for all Fitch posters or the fan base. I have a lot of Fitch friends/family. There were criticisms of our fan support (I guess because people don’t actively post on a message board?). Just saying - the same could be said for your fans, if that’s what we are basing things on. Neither of us are Massillon or Big Red in followings/support and can be fair-weathered when teams struggle.

Boardman fans have shown up for home games despite what most know is a very average team. The team fights though, despite being significantly outsized and out-talented most weeks.

Hopefully the fans (well, really the parents) stick behind Coach Dota and let him re-build this thing. He’s a great weight room guy,which was lost under Ignazio and it showed with poor strength up front, which was what Boardman’s usually known for.

7th grade was undefeated and 8th grade was pretty good as well, actually even 9th grade was solid despite the loss of talent to UHS. They need to lock down that talent as Ursuline coaches are like sharks lately here. Keep the talent, hit the weight room, and coaching consistency are the keys to get Boardman back on par with Fitch like we were.

Good luck to the Falcons in the playoffs! Holding out hope we can shock the world vs Canfield and sneak in.

These are kids playing the game, and I never bash them. I was only responding to someone who had something negative to say to me. As for the stands and fans, I could care less how empty they are. I will continue to support the Falcons. Always have and always will thru whatever season they have. It must be tough to see the Spartan glory days long gone year after year.The game is over now so I'm done with this thread. I'll leave you with one final thought. You llost AGAIN, so get over it.
I’m standing up for our fans, not caring about wins or losses (that frankly neither you or I have any impact on) in my response. Boardman shows up to support our kids just like you personally do, win or lose.

We haven’t given up on our kids, so you don’t have to feel sad for our boys.

“Spartan fans must have given up on their season I'm thinking. Sad for the boys. They still need support. Pity.”

This isn't 1965-1990 when 10,000-15,000 fans attend HS games in the valley. Go look at some of the numbers talked about in the old City Series. They just don't exist anymore.

This rivalry is unusual in that these two teams never seem to be "Real Good" at the same time. Thinking back on the past 25 years or so, I can't think of a game that pitted good Fitch against good Boardman. There have been plenty of games where one is much better than the other, plenty where both were so-so or average or even, but I don't recall the last BIG one.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been good games between these two, there has.

Anyone out there with a better recollection than mine?

This rivalry is unusual in that these two teams never seem to be "Real Good" at the same time. Thinking back on the past 25 years or so, I can't think of a game that pitted good Fitch against good Boardman. There have been plenty of games where one is much better than the other, plenty where both were so-so or average or even, but I don't recall the last BIG one.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been good games between these two, there has.

Anyone out there with a better recollection than mine?
I do agree with you that very seldom if ever last 20 years have these two teams been good or very good at the same time. Does seem a little unusual. It also seems Fitch uses their talent (which you can’t really argue is usually much better- especially last 10 years) much better than Boardman. I think that comes down to coaching and commitment to having a statewide competitive program. Boardman seems to have lost their way recently. Hope they turn the corner soon.

This isn't 1965-1990 when 10,000-15,000 fans attend HS games in the valley. Go look at some of the numbers talked about in the old City Series. They just don't exist anymore.
Agreed. No one draws like that now and never will. Those days are long gone between reduced enrollment #s and also availability of online viewing (even as bad as YSN video is).

Apologize if my comments were a shot at Fitch’s suppport. I just took offense to others saying Boardman fans weren’t supporting our kids because of an average record. I’ve been quite proud of the turnout considering on-field results.

I do agree with you that very seldom if ever last 20 years have these two teams been good or very good at the same time. Does seem a little unusual. It also seems Fitch uses their talent (which you can’t really argue is usually much better- especially last 10 years) much better than Boardman. I think that comes down to coaching and commitment to having a statewide competitive program. Boardman seems to have lost their way recently. Hope they turn the corner soon.
Really since the early to mid 90’s it’s been what you described. Either Boardman or Fitch is really good and the other is average or below.

Also agreed on commitment to program. Fitch (Austintown school district) has gone all-in on athletic spending the past 5 or so years (whether you agree with that or not as an Atown resident). Boardman has not and will not, at least until they can replace aging school buildings, or they’ll face the wrath of the local community.

I’d love to see Boardman do what Fitch has for athletic upgrades, but the reality is if it’s not privately funded it’s not happening at Boardman. Fitch has most of their building updates behind them w/ much larger state funding % that helped them build new schools and they can focus on athletic upgrades. To be honest I’m envious of the situation Austintown is in. They’ve been able to upgrade facilities with relatively minimal private donor/Austintown taxpayer burden.

Really since the early to mid 90’s it’s been what you described. Either Boardman or Fitch is really good and the other is average or below.

Also agreed on commitment to program. Fitch (Austintown school district) has gone all-in on athletic spending the past 5 or so years (whether you agree with that or not as an Atown resident). Boardman has not and will not, at least until they can replace aging school buildings, or they’ll face the wrath of the local community.

I’d love to see Boardman do what Fitch has for athletic upgrades, but the reality is if it’s not privately funded it’s not happening at Boardman. Fitch has most of their building updates behind them w/ much larger state funding % that helped them build new schools and they can focus on athletic upgrades. To be honest I’m envious of the situation Austintown is in. They’ve been able to upgrade facilities with relatively minimal private donor/Austintown taxpayer burden.

This new facility is supposed to be like a mini Watts (YSU indoor facility) and has been approved and architect has been selected.
$14 million project but will be great for ALL STUDENTS, not just football. I believe this was done with all donations and no district monies. Here is part of an August 19, 2022 article I read a couple months ago. :

The board of education this week approved a resolution that allows the district to negotiate the price of the project with Hively Construction Co., Canfield, which will manage the entire project.

This indoor facility will be used by Austintown schools sports teams, that will be able to practice and compete despite weather concerns. It especially would help baseball and softball teams, which often deal with a host of canceled games because of rain. In the fall, it would be useful to alleviate scheduling conflicts among sports and would allow the marching band to practice when it is raining. The district also may look to start intramural leagues for various sports, which would use the facility.

At the board meeting in July, the board approved Strollo Architects, Youngstown, to begin designs for a new athletic facility on school grounds. The entire project is not to exceed $14 million.

I think the biggest thing here is school and community commitment to athletics. Austintown has clearly decided that sports success is critical to their identity. I give them props. Boardman has not. It feels like their is more admin support at Fitch.

Well this might be a problem for Austintown.
I think a lot of people know about it now, but I don't think it is calculated on Joe Eitel yet. So don't know what position this would put them in.