Week 8 Fort Loramie vs Sidney

Starting a new program and maintaining an existing program are two entirely different things. Most Shelby County schools don’t have football because they don’t want to. I’d bet the odds of any of them starting even 8-man football are about 0%.

I have heard from an AD at a MAC school with the addition of 12 schools ( now changed to 16) making the playoffs that extra OOC game may soon not be viewed as important by the schools and another team might be invited in based on that change. No school names were mentioned, just the concept of how the existing schools in the MAC may view the more open qualifier of the now 16 teams getting in.
just a feeling that the 16 teams being in the playoffs , hopefully will be stopped....

I'm a MAC guy, but anyone that thinks Fort would leave the SCL for the MAC in all sports is crazy and doesn't understand the SCL very well. Take out football and they compete very, very well with the MAC in all sports. If the MAC offered football only, or I guess possibly dual membership (not sure how that would work since SCL plays home v home in basketball) is the only way, otherwise they will figure something else out.

From where I sit you all look good at basketball still. I just wondered if you could expand on this thought?
Sure thing. Maybe saying basketball suffered is being a bit spoiled. But since we started football the basketball team their longest run of not making districts and hasn’t made a state appearance. Not that any of those things are guaranteed to anyone but with the three state titles in the past that has become the goal most seasons for better or worse.

Again we are probably spoiled with our position of being competitive in most sports most years so it’s probably an unfair statement.

No girls soccer at Loramie. We’ve always had girls golf so we never needed to add a sport for title nine. Prior to adding football there was actually one more girls sport (volleyball)

I don't get why some of you MACers think Loramie is being so held back in the SCAL. SCAL is as good or better than MAC in all sports, period. Go check last season's D-IV basketball state champions for proof. And it isn't just football schools Loramie and Anna. Jackson Center and Russia routinely beat MAC schools in all sports. If Loramie leaves the SCAL, I hope their village council moves the entire town into Auglaize County, because I can't imagine they'll be welcome anywhere in Shelby.

And as far as Loramie football being held back, they just managed to make state semis a couple of years ago, in only about the 10th year of the program's existence, so I don't think lack of MAC membership is holding them back.
FL is the SCAL, FL would join the MAC because of the geography, I mean Minster is right next door. Personally I would have no problem adding them to the MAC for football only, alleviates scheduling head aches. FL has to do something - they don't want to be an independent in football - too much traveling. However if FL did join the MAC in all sports I wonder if Anna would not follow suit.

I'm a MAC guy, but anyone that thinks Fort would leave the SCL for the MAC in all sports is crazy and doesn't understand the SCL very well. Take out football and they compete very, very well with the MAC in all sports. If the MAC offered football only, or I guess possibly dual membership (not sure how that would work since SCL plays home v home in basketball) is the only way, otherwise they will figure something else out.
call me crazy.... people that i have talked to, Loramie would JUMP at the chance to join the MAC in ALL sports....

Sure thing. Maybe saying basketball suffered is being a bit spoiled. But since we started football the basketball team their longest run of not making districts and hasn’t made a state appearance. Not that any of those things are guaranteed to anyone but with the three state titles in the past that has become the goal most seasons for better or worse.

Again we are probably spoiled with our position of being competitive in most sports most years so it’s probably an unfair statement.
there isn't a sport that LOramie wouldn't be competitive with boys and girls.... in the MAC

FL is the SCAL, FL would join the MAC because of the geography, I mean Minster is right next door. Personally I would have no problem adding them to the MAC for football only, alleviates scheduling head aches. FL has to do something - they don't want to be an independent in football - too much traveling. However if FL did join the MAC in all sports I wonder if Anna would not follow suit.
anna would follow....

if the playoffs stay at 16, then yes add Loramie...... but i hope common sense comes to OHSSA and gets it back down to 8......

it's a perfect fit. there's no reason Loramie shouldn't be in the MAC instead of a team like Parkway or St Johns. they are on the same road as Minster and New Bremen, and they would compete in all sports. waiting for Parkway or St Johns to pull the trigger on leaving is the only thing holding back Loramie from being in the MAC
No matter how many times you're told, you never listen.

It is much more likely that New Knoxville leaves the MAC before Parkway or Delphos St. John's does.

Parkway and DSJ aren't leaving the MAC anytime soon. Put your pipe down, and think about something else.

It is much more likely that New Knoxville leaves the MAC before Parkway or Delphos St. John's does.

Parkway and DSJ aren't leaving the MAC anytime soon. Put your pipe down, and think about something else.
and if NK left, would I be correct in assuming Anna would get the all-sports invite?

Why in the world would NK ever leave the MAC?? You are looking at it from a fans perspective and not an administrator? NK in the MAC = minimal travel, great crowds at home games, what other conference would give them that? The SCL, but that's it and NK is about a mile short of Shelby county.

At least logistically it makes sense for Parkway or DSJ, less travel and probably equal crowds in most sports. It's all about the gate!!!

Why in the world would NK ever leave the MAC?? You are looking at it from a fans perspective and not an administrator? NK in the MAC = minimal travel, great crowds at home games, what other conference would give them that? The SCL, but that's it and NK is about a mile short of Shelby county.

At least logistically it makes sense for Parkway or DSJ, less travel and probably equal crowds in most sports. It's all about the gate!!!
Because in boy sports NK is rarely competitive in the MAC, like you said only a mile from the Shelby Co. border - maybe the SCAL would let them join even though they are not in Shelby Co. School size NK - is closer to some of of the SCAL schools than MAC schools. When is the last time the Barn ( which is not that big ) was sold out for a BB game ?

Last edited:
Because in boy sports NK is rarely competitive in the MAC, like you said only a mile from the Shelby Co. border - maybe the SCAL would let them join even though they are not in Shelby Co. School size NK - is closer to some of of the SCAL schools than MAC schools. When is the last time the Barn ( which is not that big ) was sold out for a BB game ?
BINGO

NK leaving i would think , doesn't have nothing to do with FL being invited to the MAC..... i still think having TWO non conference games in FB is very important to the MAC.... again if they leave it at the silly 16 teams in the playoffs, then the shelby county Fort will be invited

Yeah, and Delphos, Fort Recovery, Parkway aren't exactly next door. A little further drive there than say Fairlawn.

Fairlawn is probably the longest drive for Loramie in the SCAL at about 30 minutes. Coldwater I'm guessing from Loramie is about the same.

Who are the last three MAC schools to win State in basketball?

Lot more to it than being competitive, or Parkway would have left a long time ago. they are very competitive in girls sports.

Yeah, and Delphos, Fort Recovery, Parkway aren't exactly next door. A little further drive there than say Fairlawn.

Fairlawn is probably the longest drive for Loramie in the SCAL at about 30 minutes. Coldwater I'm guessing from Loramie is about the same.
from one Fort to the other Fort, not much more the 20 minutes...

First , the thought of Loramie in the TRC for all sports? The girls programs would suffer greatly. I recall more than a few times schools with seemingly great records coming out of the area just north of Dayton facing Ft Loramie girls teams in volleyball, basketball, track, softball etc and a mediocre Loramie team record wise would kill a good girls team from these other areas, Bradford and Newton softball being possible exceptions lately. The physical size difference between girls of the northern Shelby county and Miami county is self evident. So no, I do not believe all sports would have been a good fit for Loramie and the TRC.

Now to the game. I have been a big fan of Loramie football, but there seems to be just something off a bit this year. It could be all the travel, and facing unknown opponents. Could also be not having a CCC schedule to rip through. I would be shocked if the Sidney young men did not have their pride aroused for this one and be determined not to allow that little rural school in their county to upset them.

Sidney 39 Loramie 14
Versailles is the only team that's stuck it to Loramie like that. Second biggest margin loss was 10-point loss to that Indianapolis team that's a D2 equivalent.

Sidney I'm guessing is much more similar to that Indiana team than the loaded Tigers. There's no way they're going to beat Loramie by that much. They're just not that good. If it was last year, maybe, but Sidney lost a ton of studs on offense and can't move the ball that well this year.

Comes down to Sidney offense vs. Loramie defense. Sidney D can probably contain Loramie, but I bet Redskins get 3-4 TDs with their playmaking ability. Eilerman alone can probably be counted on to bust two TD passes. Can Sidney O keep up, or will they hike the ball over QBs head repeatedly, fumble, throw INTs trying to make a play, etc.?

Granted, I'll be greatly happy to be proven wrong. Hopefully they get the ball to EJ Davis and Sam Reynolds and those two and others (like freshman stud Spradling) burn Loramie. But that hasn't really happened yet for Sidney O in any game this season.

Also, how did you come to 39? Sidney's kicker is good. They'll get to at least 41 if they would happen to score 6 TDs. And I'm pretty sure Loramie doesn't really have much in kicking game and goes for 2 most of the time.

Last edited:
Uh, if you're breaking 70 on 705, maybe. Google says 33 minutes from one school to the other.

32 minutes is still a huge nothing burger. Especially when they're the most eastern and western flanks of the (hypothetical) conference boarders.
Shave's a minute by goin down Sharpsburg Rd instead of 49 to Mercer/Darke Co Rd.

EDIT: Nevermind! It's football season and that mean's I forgot New Knoxville exists. But it's not that much farther west, longitudeally speaking.

Last edited:
32 minutes is still a huge nothing burger. Especially when they're the most eastern and western flanks of the (hypothetical) conference boarders.
Shave's a minute by goin down Sharpsburg Rd instead of 49 to Mercer/Darke Co Rd.

EDIT: Nevermind! It's football season and that mean's I forgot New Knoxville exists. But it's not that much farther west, longitudeally speaking.
Some conferences would LOVE to have 32 minutes be their "Long Road Trip" of the year.

Sidney won’t have a decent football program until they get rid of doenges.
Oh give me a break. They had lost like 20 consecutive games before he got the job. He took the job when the district was a dumpster fire after the 08 recession and pay to play was like $500, not to mention that 20 straight losses or whatever.

And what did he do? Rebuild the program from the ground up, get it respectable and stop the bleeding of open enrollement transfers to Anna and elsewhere (like current assistant principal Hunsucker). He got it to a level where they could at least compete, then helped keep Bowser and Gordon in town. And not only did he help in their recruitment, he's helped get a ton of other kids recruited to smaller schools Urbana and Tiffin. Did Sidney have any player go on to play in college in the 00's? Maybe I'm blanking.

You get rid of Doenges, what coach is coming to town? What coach is better that's going to come to Sidney and stick around for over a decade and have the best season (17) and run since the 30&0 teams? You give me names that are going to come to Sidney that are better than him before you say he should be kicked out.