Week 7: Jonathan Alder (6-0) vs. Bellefontaine (4-2)

Dr. Chief

Series History
Bellefontaine leads the series 2-0.
First played: 2017 at Jonathan Alder (Bellefontaine 19, Jonathan Alder 6)
Last played: 2018 at Bellefontaine (Bellefontaine 22, Jonathan Alder 13)

This game will be another great game. I like what I saw out of bellefontaine at times on Friday. I thought they were the better team and I honestly believe if it wasn’t for that botched punt they go into halftime up 14-0 or 21-0 but they just kept hurting themselves all 1st half And when you play a very good team that can’t happen. I expect every game in the KR from here on out besides Tecumseh to go down to the last second. Similar to last years game I feel it will be low scoring and I believe bellefontaine makes a play or two to win it but this game could go either way and I wouldn’t argue it.

Bellefontaine 24
Jonathon alder 17

This game will be another great game. I like what I saw out of bellefontaine at times on Friday. I thought they were the better team and I honestly believe if it wasn’t for that botched punt they go into halftime up 14-0 or 21-0 but they just kept hurting themselves all 1st half And when you play a very good team that can’t happen. I expect every game in the KR from here on out besides Tecumseh to go down to the last second. Similar to last years game I feel it will be low scoring and I believe bellefontaine makes a play or two to win it but this game could go either way and I wouldn’t argue it.

Bellefontaine 24
Jonathon alder 17

I agree, this game could go either way. The difference I see between this years Alder team and last year's is just overall experience. They seem to have a better cohesiveness about them and a business like approach to things. The senior class is more talented than last year's group, the juniors are making plays when its needed and a handful of sophomore's are providing some great effort/minutes. They haven't flinched in the face of adversity and seem to have a better team resiliency in games they have trailed in the 1st half. I definitely see this game going down to the 4th qtr. Alder has been pretty balanced so far, we have lucked out with the Friday night conditions. The KR game Alder really didn't have to pass a ton with the running game dominating but when they needed a play they had no problem with picking up yards through the air. They have a good group of receivers who can beat you deep or move the sticks. The QB has played very well and has been in command of the offense with being a 2 year starter. Proxmire has been doing his thing again and running hard between the tackles with a purpose. OLine has played very well and really dominated last week. Defense has shown growth and improvement and is keeping teams under 20pts per game so far.

If Gross is getting close to 100% that should be a big challenge this week for Alder, they haven't seen a back like him yet. Also sounds like they miss him on Defense full time. Alder struggled containing Leman at times but seemed to settle in after the 1st qtr on limiting his big plays. If I remember correctly the QB Smith hit two big pass plays against Alder that were the difference in the game along with some Alder turnovers. The last two times these teams played it rained fairly substantially each time, I think if the weather holds up for Friday Alder can try to be more balanced than in past meetings and test the Bellefontaine secondary.

Last edited:
I really don’t understand the Alder hype. They haven’t impressed me at all. I think this will be a real close game.

Bellefontaine has beat teams with records of 3-3. 2-4, 1-5, and 0-6. I think the scrutiny belongs on them moreso than Alder who has beaten teams of 4-2, 4-2, 3-3, 3-3, 2-4, and 0-6.

I agree, this game could go either way. The difference I see between this years Alder team and last year's is just overall experience. They seem to have a better cohesiveness about them and a business like approach to things. The senior class is more talented than last year's group, the juniors are making plays when its needed and a handful of sophomore's are providing some great effort/minutes. They haven't flinched in the face of adversity and seem to have a better team resiliency in games they have trailed in the 1st half. I definitely see this game going down to the 4th qtr. Alder has been pretty balanced so far, we have lucked out with the Friday night conditions. The KR game Alder really didn't have to pass a ton with the running game dominating but when they needed a play they had no problem with picking up yards through the air. They have a good group of receivers who can beat you deep or move the sticks. The QB has played very well and has been in command of the offense with being a 2 year starter. Proxmire has been doing his thing again and running hard between the tackles with a purpose. OLine has played very well and really dominated last week. Defense has shown growth and improvement and is keeping teams under 20pts per game so far.

If Gross is getting close to 100% that should be a big challenge this week for Alder, they haven't seen a back like him yet. Also sounds like they miss him on Defense full time. Alder struggled containing Leman at times but seemed to settle in after the 1st qtr on limiting his big plays. If I remember correctly the QB Smith hit two big pass plays against Alder that were the difference in the game along with some Alder turnovers. The last two times these teams played it rained fairly substantially each time, I think if the weather holds up for Friday Alder can try to be more balanced than in past meetings and test the Bellefontaine secondary.
Gross looked really close to 100% on Friday they should get him back for defense this week which will make the defense night and day to what it has been the last couple weeks. If alder can get the run game going and open up the passing game this game could be high scoring but my guess is it’s just like last years gamE

Bellefontaines pass game has gotten better the last couple weeks so that’s good. Idk what number but I’m pretty sure the back up Qb came in and had 130 yards and caught 2 touchdowns? Lol where’s he been at all year!!!!!

Bellefontaines pass game has gotten better the last couple weeks so that’s good. Idk what number but I’m pretty sure the back up Qb came in and had 130 yards and caught 2 touchdowns? Lol where’s he been at all year!!!!!
Yes , he had 6 catches 124 yards and 2 scores. Had a 3rd 61yrd td that got called back for holding .

Bellefontaine has beat teams with records of 3-3. 2-4, 1-5, and 0-6. I think the scrutiny belongs on them moreso than Alder who has beaten teams of 4-2, 4-2, 3-3, 3-3, 2-4, and 0-6.

I’m not saying Bellefontaine doesn’t deserve scrutiny but Alder is being labeled as one of the best teams in the state when they missed the playoffs last year and haven’t beat any one of note this year. If they beat London i’ll give them props, but that’s a few weeks away.

I am not too high on Bellefontaine. If their RB is healthy they can stay in the game, but if not I don't see how that QB can really do much to take up the slack.

I’m not saying Bellefontaine doesn’t deserve scrutiny but Alder is being labeled as one of the best teams in the state when they missed the playoffs last year and haven’t beat any one of note this year. If they beat London i’ll give them props, but that’s a few weeks away.

Most people don't take those polls super seriously. I don't think Alder is a top 5 team in D3 but I do think they have a pretty solid team this year, that is playoff worthy. Aside for Tecumseh, they will be tested this week and in weeks 9 & 10. I am surprised like most people that they are 6-0 at this point. I thought they would trip up somewhere along the way. Maybe it's this week, who knows. Hoping both teams play hard and come out the other side healthy, it should be a battle.

Does anyone remember Bellefontaine playing a higher ranked team than this during the regular season? Jonathan Alder is ranked 2nd in the state this week in DIII.

Does anyone remember Bellefontaine playing a higher ranked team than this during the regular season? Jonathan Alder is ranked 2nd in the state this week in DIII.

Probably not in the regular season. Maybe a couple of the Wapak teams were close (in recent memory). I do, however, think that JA is highly overrated. The AP Poll isn't typically too accurate.

Good luck Chiefs!

Probably not in the regular season. Maybe a couple of the Wapak teams were close (in recent memory). I do, however, think that JA is highly overrated. The AP Poll isn't typically too accurate.

Good luck Chiefs!

In 2014 Wapakoneta finished #3 in the AP poll and in 2015 they finished #2, I’m sure that Sidney team with Bowser and Gordon had to be up there, Indian Lake was a top team in DIV in 2016 and they also played a Troy team that beat Trotwood. I think all of those teams I just listed are better than what Jonathan Adler is, and i’m sure there are some I left off.

How high was Shawnee ranked in 2011 ? Other than that I don't think they have. They have played numerous games against teams ranked in the top 10 or end the season in the top 10. When I played we played Marysville who ended the season in top 10. Not sure they were ranked in top 10 at the beginning of the season though. They made the final 4 that year.