Week 6: Hoban (4-1) at Benedictine (5-0)

brian

Big Battle on deck next Saturday, October 5th, as the Hoban Knights (4-1) travel to Bedford to face the Benedictine Bengals (5-0) for a 1:00 pm NCL showdown.

The Knights and Bengals have tangled on the gridiron 22 times with Benedictine owning a 14-8 advantage overall in the series. Benedictine won the initial meeting in 1985 (32-7) with Hoban notching its first mark in the win column in 1988 (34-0). The teams did not meet in the regular season from 1997-2010, but twice during that stretch the Bengals ended the Knights' season, dealing Hoban playoff defeats in 2002 (23-20) and 2004 (42-28). Benedictine is the last NCL foe to defeat Hoban on the football field, having beaten the Knights 35-14 to close out the 2015 regular season. Hoban has won the last three meetings, most recently winning 42-13 in 2018 at Dowed Field in Akron.

Hoping this is a great game and that the two squads continue to play despite the folding of the NCL after this season.

Last edited:

Benedictine is the only team left on the Hoban schedule that will put up a fight, but I think Hoban still wins comfortably.

I’m still giving the edge to Hoban but I think it can be closer than people think. I’d love to see a week 14 rematch of this game

Benny seems to have a great passing game with quick striking ability. Hoban will rely on its better athletes to grind it out. If the Benny line can protect the QB like they did against Fitch, this game will be very interesting. Those receivers for Benny are D I material, so they will get open. If Benny can score early and get up on Hoban, they might be able to outscore Hoban.

Benedictine is the only team left on the Hoban schedule that will put up a fight, but I think Hoban still wins comfortably.
The folks running the line say it's Benny +13.5, kind of where I would put the spread at myself. I don't see a blowout but this type of high profile game has been a few years in the making for Benny so I hope they come with their best level headed effort and don't get too hyped up and make bone head mistakes.

What's interesting is because of a Bedford school function its a Saturday matinee, This will take the staff's out of their normal routines. Coaching will probably play a big factor in the outcome.

I know nothing of Benny this year but after watching the speed and ferocity of Hoban’s defense last night against St. V I would be stunned if Benny scores more than 2 TD’s. Granted Benny probably has a better O line than St. V but if they can’t give their QB some time to throw it will be a long night for the Bengals. It is nearly impossible to run on Hoban. Ignatius had success through the air against the Knights two weeks ago and it was clear that Chuck Kyle and company knew that they had to throw to win. They only had around 8-10 rushing attempts all night. Once again I know nothing about Benny and their QB but if you can’t pass you can’t win. Good luck to both teams.

The folks running the line say it's Benny +13.5, kind of where I would put the spread at myself. I don't see a blowout but this type of high profile game has been a few years in the making for Benny so I hope they come with their best level headed effort and don't get too hyped up and make bone head mistakes.

What's interesting is because of a Bedford school function its a Saturday matinee, This will take the staff's out of their normal routines. Coaching will probably play a big factor in the outcome.

Great point on the early/Saturday start. I am not familiar with the make-up of Benedictine's first five games as far as day vs. night game. Have they played all Friday 7pm games so far? Hoban opened the season at noon on a Saturday, so perhaps they will use that same template for this game.

Where is game being played? I saw both play this year. I’m not rooting for either team. I will say this has a chance to be a very good close game. I really think over all speed of the whole team it’s even.

I hope both play mistake free injury free football and let the best team win.. I’ll not pick a winner I’ll just say 7 points either way!! I’d like to come watch.

Where is game being played? I saw both play this year. I’m not rooting for either team. I will say this has a chance to be a very good close game. I really think over all speed of the whole team it’s even.

I hope both play mistake free injury free football and let the best team win.. I’ll not pick a winner I’ll just say 7 points either way!! I’d like to come watch.

The game will be at Bedford with a 1 o’clock start because it is also Bedford’s homecoming

The game will be at Bedford with a 1 o’clock start because it is also Bedford’s homecoming

Ok I’ll prob make the long drive from Dover to watch some good Football. I think both teams have athletes all over the field. Both have equal speed and both are well coached. Should be a great game

Good luck to both

I think this game is very interesting. If Benny can throw that is where I would attack Hoban. Also, not seeing many teams running mis-direction/counter plays on Hoban. Unless of course you count the reverse ran by Ignatius on the 2 Pt. conversation.

How do the kicking games of each school match up? that could be a big factor in this one based on records.

I think this game is very interesting. If Benny can throw that is where I would attack Hoban. Also, not seeing many teams running mis-direction/counter plays on Hoban. Unless of course you count the reverse ran by Ignatius on the 2 Pt. conversation.

How do the kicking games of each school match up? that could be a big factor in this one based on records.

Benedictine has a solid passing game and is not that bad at running either, this one could be a shoot out if they are not overwhelmed by the moment. The Benny kicking game is very strong and a strength of the team.

By the way, I would hope they do not get run off the field as the staff seems to be putting the players in the best position to succeed and as primarily being made up of Benny Grads the understand the brand name on the front of the jerseys and what it represents.

Bennies have not beat an elite team in years!

Depends on what you consider years. The 2015 season was one of the top "what could have been" seasons in Benny history. Benny and Hoban came into the last week of the regular season both undefeated and Benny thrashed the Knights 35-14. Famously the Benny defensive staff played a RB at DE over Rumbler and his foot work at the time was so poor he could not make a block the entire game; Danny Clark was constantly under duress, score was not indicative of how much Benny dominated the game. 2 weeks later Benny loses their top 2 RBs to injury in a laugher against Bay and they have to play a solid Toledo Central Catholic team the following week with their 3rd string RB and down 2 starters on defense. Still played to a tie and Benny staff decides to pull a Mack Brown and go for 2 in OT only to be denied. Hoban goes on the win the state title, Benny HC Joe Schaeffer leaves for the NCAA, and the rest is history.

Depends on what you consider years. The 2015 season was one of the top "what could have been" seasons in Benny history. Benny and Hoban came into the last week of the regular season both undefeated and Benny thrashed the Knights 35-14. Famously the Benny defensive staff played a RB at DE over Rumbler and his foot work at the time was so poor he could not make a block the entire game; Danny Clark was constantly under duress, score was not indicative of how much Benny dominated the game. 2 weeks later Benny loses their top 2 RBs to injury in a laugher against Bay and they have to play a solid Toledo Central Catholic team the following week with their 3rd string RB and down 2 starters on defense. Still played to a tie and Benny staff decides to pull a Mack Brown and go for 2 in OT only to be denied. Hoban goes on the win the state title, Benny HC Joe Schaeffer leaves for the NCAA, and the rest is history.

I remember that year. I legit though going into the playoffs that Benny was a lock to win D3. I did not know about those injuries. During the regular season they beat 6 playoff teams, including 9-1 TCC, 9-1 Hoban, and Ursuline. The amount of computer points they had was ridiculous.

Bene did take it to Hoban that game. I was there and Hoban did not play well. Not sure about “Rumler” having bad footwork. I never saw anyone not get steam rolled by that bruiser in the 57 games he started and 4 state titles he lead us too. Woulda coulda shoulda, everyone fights injuries. Hoban handles TCC the following week by 2 scores. Hasn’t looked back since.

Why all the innuendo? All of you call your bookies and quit talking smack. Let the chips fall where they may. It’ll be a better game than the last few years. Period. The End. At the end of the day, Benny still has the most winning record and has produced many, many, many D1 athletes and how many NFL players. That my friends, no one can beat.

It's October 01, 2019

Week 6: Akron Archbishop Hoban (4 -1) at Cleveland Benedictine (5 -0): Who's going to win this one??

Where: Cleveland Benedictine

When: Friday October 04, 2019

Kick Off: 07:00 PM

CalPreps: Akron Archbishop Hoban -14
Drew Pasteur's: -11

Weather Forecast for Friday October 04, 2019

Partly Cloudy

Temp: 60 / 42

Chance of Rain: 20%

Wind: N 11 mph

:unsure: ? :giggle: :) :p ? :D ?

This is IUDOGS signing off.

It's October 01, 2019

Week 6: Akron Archbishop Hoban (4 -1) at Cleveland Benedictine (5 -0): Who's going to win this one??

Where: Cleveland Benedictine

When: Friday October 04, 2019

Kick Off: 07:00 PM

CalPreps: Akron Archbishop Hoban -14
Drew Pasteur's: -11

Weather Forecast for Friday October 04, 2019

Partly Cloudy

Temp: 60 / 42

Chance of Rain: 20%

Wind: N 11 mph

:unsure: ? :giggle: :) :p ? :D ?

This is IUDOGS signing off.

Incorrect date and time. Per the original post in the thread, the game is Saturday, 10/5, at 1:00 pm at Bedford Stadium.