Week 5: Perry Panthers (3-1) at Louisville Leopards (2-2) <OFFICIAL THREAD>

very disappointed in our(the ville) fan base. i moved to the endzone at the end of the 4th quarter, so i got a look at the stands on each side. my take is perry had as many fans, if not more, than we did. i don't understand it, and am really disappointed in our followings involvement in the game. people will go and scream for millionaires they have never met, college schools they didn't attend, but for the neighbor kid in the town you have chosen to make a life in, you sit and "watch" quietly??? i remember a decade ago during our playoff runs, the support and enthusiasm was outstanding. i was told in the nbc days the reason was the matchups, the forgone conclusion of the outcome. fair enough, but we just played four fed schools in a row, and i see/hear/feel no difference. last year we had Massillon and two y-town catholics who have top 10 traditions in the state come to town, and other than Massillon, it felt like a jv game atmosphere. these kids play hard, they deserve more. this town prides itself on being a football town, then the adults need to do their part to support the program, and the simplest way to do that is to actually show up to the game and stop sitting on your hands...

Unsung hero was the Perry QB. Big play when they needed it on the TD pass. Key first downs on the final drives. And he scooped up the ball and ot it set on the winning FG. They don't win without him.

very disappointed in our(the ville) fan base. i moved to the endzone at the end of the 4th quarter, so i got a look at the stands on each side. my take is perry had as many fans, if not more, than we did. i don't understand it, and am really disappointed in our followings involvement in the game. people will go and scream for millionaires they have never met, college schools they didn't attend, but for the neighbor kid in the town you have chosen to make a life in, you sit and "watch" quietly??? i remember a decade ago during our playoff runs, the support and enthusiasm was outstanding. i was told in the nbc days the reason was the matchups, the forgone conclusion of the outcome. fair enough, but we just played four fed schools in a row, and i see/hear/feel no difference. last year we had Massillon and two y-town catholics who have top 10 traditions in the state come to town, and other than Massillon, it felt like a jv game atmosphere. these kids play hard, they deserve more. this town prides itself on being a football town, then the adults need to do their part to support the program, and the simplest way to do that is to actually show up to the game and stop sitting on your hands...

Legend39 I am so glad someone finally called out captain obvious! The fans love to call out the coaches for not calling the perfect game or the kids for not making that tackle but every game is low energy from the fans. No energy from the band, do they ever play anything except that same low key music if we score? Even the PA guy is no energy. No music or fun videos to get the fans pumped up! Go to a Big Red game and you get a band that NEVER stops pounding drums, Massillon with their crazy fans, oh we are above that? It's a football game!!! How about some energy from all of us and we be 5-0 right now. How about sirens going off when we score and team enters the start of the game? Anything! Church is on Sunday not Friday night!! Change is needed if you want to play schedule like this.

Couldn't agree more about our fanbase. Absolutely sickening to me to see the mass exodus with 3 seconds remaining. I'm hardcore and if we ever get drubbed by 30 or are up 60 I'll always stay until the end, but I don't expect everyone to be like that. But when there is still time on the clock and the possibility of winning on a kick return why are you leaving? Is that 2 minute head start in traffic worth it? Intentionally or not, collectively an entire fanbase sent a message that told our sideline "We give up".

I do feel that some of the reason for the quiet stands is our PC society. Everyone is afraid of offending everyone these days. I know this shouldn't affect positive cheering, but I think that mentality in general has led to everyone sitting on their hands and just observing the game instead of cheering. Still no excuse, cheer and go all out for your Leopards

And another thing...learn the Alma Mater and sing it. It is a joke to have a quiet stadium during the Alma Mater.

Full video Highlights now up:

Reactions: #10
Legend39 I am so glad someone finally called out captain obvious! The fans love to call out the coaches for not calling the perfect game or the kids for not making that tackle but every game is low energy from the fans. No energy from the band, do they ever play anything except that same low key music if we score? Even the PA guy is no energy. No music or fun videos to get the fans pumped up! Go to a Big Red game and you get a band that NEVER stops pounding drums, Massillon with their crazy fans, oh we are above that? It's a football game!!! How about some energy from all of us and we be 5-0 right now. How about sirens going off when we score and team enters the start of the game? Anything! Church is on Sunday not Friday night!! Change is needed if you want to play schedule like this.

I'd encourage everyone from Louisville to make the trip to Massillon Week 9 and observe their fanbase no matter what your feelings are towards them after last year's game. You got a mild dose of their fan base's energy when we hosted them, but you have to see them in their own element. They will not take a play off, they belt out their alma mater, and they cheer loudly every single play.

Their cheers such as "Go! Go! Go!" and "T-I-G" "E-R-S" and "We are Massillon" may not be anything earth-shattering in the creativity department, but they are unified. Think if our Leopards had that kind of unity and collective support behind them from the stands. You can't tell me it wouldn't want to make them play harder.

We definitely don't need the antics of some of their fans, but we could learn a lot from how they undyingly support for their boys over there in the house that Paul Brown built.

I'd encourage everyone from Louisville to make the trip to Massillon Week 9 and observe their fanbase no matter what your feelings are towards them after last year's game. You got a mild dose of their fan base's energy when we hosted them, but you have to see them in their own element. They will not take a play off, they belt out their alma mater, and they cheer loudly every single play.

Their cheers such as "Go! Go! Go!" and "T-I-G" "E-R-S" and "We are Massillon" may not be anything earth-shattering in the creativity department, but they are unified. Think if our Leopards had that kind of unity and collective support behind them from the stands. You can't tell me it wouldn't want to make them play harder.

We definitely don't need the antics of some of their fans, but we could learn a lot from how they undyingly support for their boys over there in the house that Paul Brown built.
FWIW you’re student section got under my skin on a couple different occasions last night! Lol

Consider this. What will quiet a crowd more than watching your team give up hundreds of yards simply because they can't tackle? Off base blaming the fans for lack of emotion.
Our point is, don't just sit there and complain about coaching or miss tackles do what we can to keep the kids pumped up. Especially when they play a schedule like this. That was no Minerva on the field challenging the Leps.

Really... c'mon people are we really blaming the fans for the missed tackles or hands on hips and players not being hyped up???? We never had to get kids to play with a attitude before!!! What happened to love to be hated and GATA? Did the fans play for Poyser or Potts or all the old school kids that played for the PRIDE of Louisville?? For the love of god man let these young men take some responsibility for their performance on the field.

Hard to support a program woth this kind of trash coaching.

Really... c'mon people are we really blaming the fans for the missed tackles or hands on hips and players not being hyped up???? We never had to get kids to play with a attitude before!!! What happened to love to be hated and GATA? Did the fans play for Poyser or Potts or all the old school kids that played for the PRIDE of Louisville?? For the love of god man let these young men take some responsibility for their performance on the field.
These people will blame anyone and anything but the atmosphere coach Birdy fosters.

Just like I said it's no one's fault except yours that you have to come on here and bash a coach for bad execution

Ok, I missed the game but he fans are used to rolling over NBC teams with a running clock for last 1 or 2 quarters. I really could care less about what the fans are doing or not doing. But Louisville is being challenged, and they should embrace it. It makes for good games.
As for the new coaching staff. They don't deserve what FormerLep01 says about them, but they do need to be held responsible. Many who have made subtle excuses are the one who would have blasted the past coaches.
You are right, you don't coach toughness, you instill it in your players. Toughness is a reflection of coaching to a degree.There are schools who always have "tough" teams and players every year regardless of their season record.
Saying the scheme was good but they didn't make tackles and you "can't coach toughness" is crap. If all that coaches are responsible for is coaching the scheme, playbook, and Xs and Os, the team would never leave the film room or locker room.
You have to teach scheme, technique, heart, toughness, and have a strong mission with good leadership by all your coaches. This staff has brought some good things to Louisville, but still have a long way to go if they are going to be the right fit. Good luck Leopards.

not sure if you are referencing my post, but i never said nor implied blame for anything on the field. kids are playing hard. i have seen energy and enthusiasm from kids on the field asking the crowd for energy. it doesn't happen. adults on saturdays and sundays feed off that, you don't think high school kids want and need that as well? you reference poyser and potts, i remember the desales game in their era, i think our crowds energy played a role in that win against a team that was physically better than us.

but weather we agree or disagree about the impact the fans have, if we are indeed a football town, then the "town" needs to do their part...

not sure if you are referencing my post, but i never said nor implied blame for anything on the field. kids are playing hard. i have seen energy and enthusiasm from kids on the field asking the crowd for energy. it doesn't happen. adults on saturdays and sundays feed off that, you don't think high school kids want and need that as well? you reference poyser and potts, i remember the desales game in their era, i think our crowds energy played a role in that win against a team that was physically better than us.

but weather we agree or disagree about the impact the fans have, if we are indeed a football town, then the "town" needs to do their part...

BINGO!

Last edited:
Probably too young to remember, but we never asked the crowd for emotion, we were motivated to be better than anyone before us. Not to say it wasn't appreciated or helped, it worked.

The crowd helped, but that came from their hearts.

Probably too young to remember, but we never asked the crowd for emotion, we were motivated to be better than anyone before us. Not to say it wasn't appreciated or helped, it worked.
fair enough, but today's generation spends their free time on social media and memes. i spend my week with 180 teenagers, tragically, they need the affirmation...

Does that mean they can't dedicate themselves to a tradition? Time to quit making excuses and be an "educator".

The good news is the hardest part of the schedule is over. A long travel game and the Tigers are the only real challenges left. Winning 4 of the next 5 is very realistic. Got to be prepared and play every game though.

Nah, everyone is crying and whining about your fan base which I heard your student section loud and clear! I wondered the same thing about Perry’s “Jungle”? I can never hear them? All I know is my voice is hoarse after every game! Good luck to the Louisville the rest of the way! Yours is truly a respected program in Stark County!

The things you can control....

Terrible tackling is on the players. Playing defense is just as much a mindset and attitude as it is athletic ability. We have a ton of athletic ability, but only about 3 kids on that side of the ball that has the mindset and attitude.
As a coach it’s your job to put your players in the situation and call the game to win. This imo has been a failure on the coaches part. I love the creativity and formations, but why we are running the ball more than passing with THIS team is stupid to be kind. In our 3 losses we ran the ball more than we passed it. Shortening the game and playing right into those 3 opponents hand. All 3 games we were behind or tied the majority of the game. This is what fans, players, radio personalities, and even opposing coaches are surprised about. This isn’t Mogadore, Meadowbrook, or McKinley...its Louisville. You have one of the best passing QB’s in the county over the last 2 decades, and receivers to go with him...you call the game around him! Put your ego and balanced offense on the shelf, you know your defense can’t tackle, so adjust throw the damn ball, and you’d probably be 5-0 right now.

It is funny to read some of these comments, why did Louisville leave the federal league and join the NBC in its creation in the first place? Hmmm would it be the majority of schools at the time in the NBC were of similar size to Louisville instead of being much larger? (which is still true)
While the leps have been very competitive thus far - the federal league is a tough slate. Catch lake on an uptick of having a larger roster in years, and a Perry team coming off a stinging loss. The tackling would certainly look quite different if the old slate of games were being played.

EGO was brought up - which is really funny on a chat site, with anonymity behind all of our usernames. LOL
I look at their D3R9 and see several teams the leps would beat. Can the Panthers say the same?....wakey won't even play their D2 neighbor

Personally its more of an eyebrow raise that it takes D2 Perry a last minute field goal to beat a D3 Louisville.