Week 5: Elder(3-1) vs. Louisville St. Xavier(KY)(4-0)

ElderHSfan02

Elder will host Louisville St. Xavier Friday night at The PIT. For the second week in a row, Elder will play a defending big school state champion. This week they take on Kentucky's big school state champions from last season St. Xavier. St. Xavier lost a lot of their offensive production from last season including their QB, RB, and leading WR. The strength of X will be their defense. They have only given up 1 TD this season, and they are very fast.

I think Elder got better after facing a very good St. Ed's team. This being at home I give Elder the edge.

Elder 28
St. Xavier(KY) 21

Defense has only given up one touchdown yet the opponent has scored 14, 9, and 10 points? We’re those other td’s v their special teams?

I also don’t think playing at Elder gives the Panthers much of an advantage. Perhaps slightly, but the better team wins the game more than 90% of the time.

Defense has only given up one touchdown yet the opponent has scored 14, 9, and 10 points? We’re those other td’s v their special teams?

That is a good question. This was from a thread on bluegrasspreps.com

6A #1 Saint Xavier (3-0) travels to Elder (OH) (3-1). St. X is coming off a open week. Elder (OH) is coming off a 17-14 loss to St. Edward (OH).

Elder looks improved from last year and is ranked 8th in Ohio according to Calpreps.com rankings.

The St. X starting defense has only given up 1 touchdown in 3 games. Elder will be the best team the Tigers have played to date and will need the offense to play turnover free and rely on the defense to get the win.

Last year St. X won 31-21.

This looks to be a close game between to fairly even teams. Does St. X continue their win streak or does Elder get revenge for last years loss?

I also don’t think playing at Elder gives the Panthers much of an advantage. Perhaps slightly, but the better team wins the game more than 90% of the time.

I don't think it matters much for GCL games. The GCL teams are used to playing visitor in a hostile environment. PC certainly looked flat and somewhat shell shocked. Louisville St. Xavier I think may be making their first trip to The PIT also.

This was a game Elder should’ve won a yr ago at X. They started out sluggish early, but found a groove and had the lead late into 4th Qtr.

I keep harping on opening up the Offense bc if they want to move the ball at all vs a great D like Ville X, they need to stretch the field. And that means giving Schoster time to throw from the pocket.

This was a game Elder should’ve won a yr ago at X. They started out sluggish early, but found a groove and had the lead late into 4th Qtr.

I keep harping on opening up the Offense bc if they want to move the ball at all vs a great D like Ville X, they need to stretch the field. And that means giving Schoster time to throw from the pocket.

I think it would be a good idea for the offense to run their hurry up at different points in game, or uptempo to throw the X defense off.

I think it would be a good idea for the offense to run their hurry up at different points in game, or uptempo to throw the X defense off.
I think that’s a good idea. They need to change things up bc they’ve just been way too vanilla these first 4 games.

I don't think it matters much for GCL games. The GCL teams are used to playing visitor in a hostile environment. PC certainly looked flat and somewhat shell shocked. Louisville St. Xavier I think may be making their first trip to The PIT also.
Before the Elder Sports Archive site went down I remember seeing that we played Louisville St X back in the 1960s. It was 4 or 6 games so I am guessing at least one of those was at Elder.

St. X is the #1 6A(largest division) ranked team in Kentucky.
(1)St. Xavier
(2)Trinity
(3)Ballard
(4)DuPont Manual
(5)Madison Central
(6)Male
(7)George Rogers Clark
(8)Ryle
(9)Central Hardin
(10)Henderson County

Elder is facing another running team Friday night vs. X. Against Male, their JR QB was only 5-9 passing for 62 but 3 were TDs. They must like to run the ball to the red zone then fool the defense with some passing to score. X ran for 191 rushing yards to get the win vs a good Male team.

On the defensive side, X gave up only 61 yards rushing on 23 carries to a Male team who came into the game averaging 218 yards/game rushing.

These stats have me second guessing a Panther victory Friday night. Turnovers will again like always be key. It's looking more like a 17-7 or 17-14 type game.

Two quotes from the X head coach.

"I’ve said all summer that’s the fastest secondary that I’ve coached at St. X," Wallace said. "I thought we did a great job breaking on the ball tonight."

"We’re huge up front on the offensive line," Wallace said. "If those guys continue to get better, I like our running backs. That’s gonna be our bread and butter."

Elder is facing another running team Friday night vs. X. Against Male, their JR QB was only 5-9 passing for 62 but 3 were TDs. They must like to run the ball to the red zone then fool the defense with some passing to score. X ran for 191 rushing yards to get the win vs a good Male team.

On the defensive side, X gave up only 61 yards rushing on 23 carries to a Male team who came into the game averaging 218 yards/game rushing.

These stats have me second guessing a Panther victory Friday night. Turnovers will again like always be key. It's looking more like a 17-7 or 17-14 type game.

Two quotes from the X head coach.
Their OL still won’t be as big as Eds. You brought up a good point, Elder should go up tempo to keep their D off balance.

Also, field position will be huge. Elder’s STs struggled a lot last week but the wind played a big role in that.

Yes, I think the wind was the factor. Elder's punter had one go off his foot, but he's been good all year. The other was a wind issue. It's why there was such a big argument over who was defending what endzone to start the 2nd half.

Agree, the Ed's oline will probably be bigger/better than X.

I attend all Louisville St. X games and looking forward to going to the pit for the first time. Some of the St. X players have been to the pit when played Elder as freshman but those are only sophomores I believe. St. X is led in tackles by Purdue commit DE Micah Carter who didn't play against Elder last year due to injury. St. X QB has been picked off twice that went for 6 and starting defense has only given up one td as the other scores were when the back ups were in. For St. X to win they can't turn the ball over and give Elder extra chances on offense. Elder will be best team St. X has played so far and always tougher when on the road. Playing a team like Elder win or lose will help us in the long run as playing tough schedule prepares a team for the playoffs.

It sounds like Elder has it’s work cut out for them again this week, it should be a good game. It will be nice to have our Panthers back home. I hope you enjoy everything about your trip to The Pit except the final score! 😄

Last edited:
Hey VilleX, as long as you’re hanging around our board, I’d like to get your opinion on this… will Elder need to run a well balanced offense to come out victorious on Friday night or would we be better off running or passing the ball more? The world awaits your answer on this hotly debated topic! 🤣

Hey VilleX, as long as you’re hanging around our board, I’d like to get your opinion on this… will Elder need to run a well balanced offense to come out victorious on Friday night or would we be better off running or passing the ball more? The world awaits your answer on this hotly debated topic! 🤣
They've played well in both phases but if I have to pick one they are best at it would be run defense. I'm sure Elder will present a challenge for them though. 🤣

Reading some fast facts from the St. Xavier website. I was amazed at the history of this school. Their first football season was in 1917, and according to the website St. Xavier had been around for 50 years prior. Elder is celebrating its 100th year anniversary, and this school has been playing football longer than that.

Saint Xavier High School was already more than 50 years in old when its football team took the field for the first time in 1917. For the next century plus, the football program has provided an experience that has helped countless young men on their journeys to manhood.
  • In 1917 the first Green and Gold football team took to the field under Coach Will Duffy. The 20s, 30s, and 40s established a strong foundation for the “Tradition of Excellence” under the leadership of coaches like Joe Harmon, Joe Guyon, Bob Schumann, and Ray Baer.

Reading some fast facts from the St. Xavier website. I was amazed at the history of this school. Their first football season was in 1917, and according to the website St. Xavier had been around for 50 years prior. Elder is celebrating its 100th year anniversary, and this school has been playing football longer than that.

• In 1917 the first Green and Gold football team took to the field under Coach Will Duffy. The 20s, 30s, and 40s established a strong foundation for the “Tradition of Excellence” under the leadership of coaches like Joe Harmon, Joe Guyon, Bob Schumann, and Ray Baer.
St. X is #27 in the Nation for all-time wins at 800. Male HS in Louisville is #2 and started playing in 1893.

I attend all Louisville St. X games and looking forward to going to the pit for the first time. Some of the St. X players have been to the pit when played Elder as freshman but those are only sophomores I believe. St. X is led in tackles by Purdue commit DE Micah Carter who didn't play against Elder last year due to injury. St. X QB has been picked off twice that went for 6 and starting defense has only given up one td as the other scores were when the back ups were in. For St. X to win they can't turn the ball over and give Elder extra chances on offense. Elder will be best team St. X has played so far and always tougher when on the road. Playing a team like Elder win or lose will help us in the long run as playing tough schedule prepares a team for the playoffs.
Enjoy your trip to The Pit. Recommend parking at Seton High School right next door. Feel free to arrive early and tailgate. You wont have any issues with fans.

1005284_530030223730159_1136960158_n.jpg

Here is a picture from the last time Louisville St. Xavier visited The PIT.
(this is a joke but is a real picture)