Week 4: Louisville Leopards (1-2) at North Canton Hoover Vikings (1-2)

LeopardNation

Hoover Week! Both teams come in at 1-2, let's hear your thoughts on Meeting #98!

Louisville Schedule so far:
1) at Dover L 10-19
2) at GlenOak W 17-14
3) Vs. St. Vincent-St. Mary L 7-35

North Canton Hoover Schedule so far:
1) Vs. GlenOak W 35-7
2) At Canton McKinley L 28-40
3) At Perry L 14-20

Varsity: North Canton Hoover 45, Louisville 21
Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Football Video Highlights and Stats

JV: North Canton Hoover 14, Louisville 6

North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards JV Football Video Highlights and Recap

Freshman: Louisville 20, North Canton Hoover 0
North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Freshman Football Video Highlights and Recap

ALL-TIME SERIES

Louisville Leopards Vs. North Canton Hoover Vikings All-Time Football Series

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS - GAME ARCHIVE

VARSITY

1964 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Football Video Highlights

1971 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights

1983 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights

1984 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Football Video Highlights

1987 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights

1992 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Football Video Highlights

1993 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights

1994 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Football Video Highlights

1995 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights

1999 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights

2001 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights

2004 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Football Video Highlights

2007 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights

2011 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights & Pictures

2012 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Football Video Highlights & Pictures

2013 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights & Pictures

2014 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Football Video Highlights

2015 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Video Highlights & Recap

2016 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Video Highlights & Recap

2017 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights and Recap

2018 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Football Video Highlights and Recap

2019 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Football Video Highlights and Recap

JV

2012 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards JV Football Highlights & Pictures

2014 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards JV Football Video Highlights

2016 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards JV Football Video Highlights

2018 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards JV Football Video Highlights

Freshman

1961 Louisville Leopards Vs. North Canton Hoover Vikings Freshman Football Video Highlights

2012 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Freshman Football Video Highlights

2014 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Freshman Football Video Highlights

2016 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Freshman Football Video Highlights

2017 Louisville Leopards at North Canton Hoover Vikings Freshman Football Video Highlights

2018 North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards Freshman Football Video Highlights

Last edited:

First, if you are one that takes care of the Louisville Leopards website and stats, you are doing an excellent job. Far as the game goes, I believe both teams are looking for an identity. Hoover has the offensive firepower to put points on the board, but the game planning needs some tweaking. Defensively Hoover must find a way to stop the run and put in some fresh legs, so that their defense does not wear down. I have always respected Louisville they come to play and give Hoover a game every year. Not sure what Louisville has this year with a new coaching staff, but I believe they will come to play. I will take Hoover in a close game do to the fact they have the home field advantage. Good luck to both teams.

First, if you are one that takes care of the Louisville Leopards website and stats, you are doing an excellent job. Far as the game goes, I believe both teams are looking for an identity. Hoover has the offensive firepower to put points on the board, but the game planning needs some tweaking. Defensively Hoover must find a way to stop the run and put in some fresh legs, so that their defense does not wear down. I have always respected Louisville they come to play and give Hoover a game every year. Not sure what Louisville has this year with a new coaching staff, but I believe they will come to play. I will take Hoover in a close game do to the fact they have the home field advantage. Good luck to both teams.

I am, its lots of work but I love covering the Leopards and digging into history.

Hard to win on the road in this series, Leps haven't won at Hoover since 2008. We will definitely need our best game to date if we are going to have a chance to win, but this team is scrappy IMO and that's a direct reflection of their new coach. I'm sure both teams will give bring their best.

My question for you is, does Hoover look at Louisville as a rival? I have a co-worker that claims its not as big to North Canton. Especially with the NBC dissolved, Hoover is undoubtedly our biggest rival.

I am, its lots of work but I love covering the Leopards and digging into history.

Hard to win on the road in this series, Leps haven't won at Hoover since 2008. We will definitely need our best game to date if we are going to have a chance to win, but this team is scrappy IMO and that's a direct reflection of their new coach. I'm sure both teams will give bring their best.

My question for you is, does Hoover look at Louisville as a rival? I have a co-worker that claims its not as big to North Canton. Especially with the NBC dissolved, Hoover is undoubtedly our biggest rival.
Tbh with you, when I was growing up all my hoover friends only talked about Jackson (mainly) and sometimes Lake as schools that they’d consider rivals. Never heard much about Louisville. Maybe to their football team it’s a rivalry ??‍♂️

I think it’s determined more by how old you are that anything else. Folks over 40 are more likely to consider this a rivalry on either side. Folks under 40 not so much. If your in your 50’s then the chances go way up that you still consider it a rivalry.

[/QUOTE]

I do not believe it much of a rivalry for Hoover. Hoover biggest rival is Jackson.

Last edited:
I think it’s determined more by how old you are that anything else. Folks over 40 are more likely to consider this a rivalry on either side. Folks under 40 not so much. If your in your 50’s then the chances go way up that you still consider it a rivalry.

This sounds an awful lot like the Louisville-Minerva arch-rival thinking too.

I’m 31 and while Northwest might have been the NBC rivalry back in my day, I always feel like we got up for Hoover. Maybe it was the smaller school/almost underdog mentality more than anything.

Either way second oldest and longest football rivalry in stark county behind that other one...Canton-Massillon or something?

I'm an old timer and I see it as a rivalry. I would be very disappointed if Louisville didn't get up for Hoover. I've always been proud of our success against a bigger school.

I like Hoover 31-14 but then again I thought they would win last year and they got down big then lost in a shootout. I just feel like Louisville has had trouble scoring in all 3 games and I look for that to continue although after giving up 300+ yds rushing Louisville may want to line up run the ball and shorten the game.

Hoover must watch the trick plays they got burned on the onside kick last year. Every team that Hoover has played thus far was able to run on them. Can Hoover defense stop the run. Hoover by 7.

To me Hoover has been a big disappointment so far. There has been so much hype with this senior class and this was supposed to be the year Baum really put his mark on the program. I think they beat Louisville but I wonder if they will ever truly be able to get back to their glory days. If they lose this game, I think Baum is a goner at the end of the season for sure

I am jealous we don’t have the kind of information available that you provide.Best of luck,beat Hoover!

I look for the Leopards to come out and try to establish the run tonight. Last week it seemed like that was the game plan, then the game started to get away, and special teams were anything but special. Defense is playing pretty well considering some of the positions they’ve been in. Leps need to win the los and control the clock. I’m not a score predictor, but if Hoover finds the end zone 4 times they probably win...less than 4 it’s a toss-up.

Was told from a dad of North Canton students that this year is the smallest freshmen class at Hoover in decades. Can anyone from North Canton confirm this?

Was told from a dad of North Canton students that this year is the smallest freshmen class at Hoover in decades. Can anyone from North Canton confirm this?

There weren’t many on the sideline from what I saw when play was happening on the field so I can believe it.

I am jealous we don’t have the kind of information available that you provide.Best of luck,beat Hoover!

I wish I'd seen this post earlier. My school didn't have that kind of info available either. As a result, some friends and I went out and got it. We went to libraries in the area and combed the local newspapers' microfilms. I know 1 of the libraries down in TusCo has the Times Reporter on microfilm because I called there once to have the staff dig up a game article and box score from a game Canton CC played at Dover in 1988. There was a discrepancy b/w the papers I looked at locally regarding the length of a scoring play which would determine if it was the longest passing TD in school history. I needed the info in the T-R to break the tie. I later found a copy of the game film to confirm the T-R and 1 of the 2 local papers' report. It was the longest passing TD in school history up until 2 years ago. Looking up that kind of stuff takes some time but can be very rewarding when you can produce definitive evidence to indicate that something did or did not happen.

Football is the easiest HS sport to research in these parts. The newspapers covered the heck out of it, and you only have to check a few days a week at most because the varsity isn't playing on Sun, Mon, or Tues. Thurs. games are rare but happen. Wed. games are rarer yet but occasionally happened long ago. The best way is to find the football preview issue, get the season schedule, and look at the paper the day after a game was scheduled (maybe 2 days later if it was a late game or a Sat. game for a paper that wasn't published on Sun.). There are times when the research gets stale, but when a breakthrough occurs, it's a lot of fun.

Another good resource is the team banquet programs if the coach prints the individual and season stats in the program. It's good for tracking down 1000 yard rushers, receivers, and whatnot, as well as figuring out career totals for players.

Just wanted to throw this out here I absolutely love looking at Louisville's page with the old games. Truly takes me back and I'm not even old (40). The guy who runs the page does an excellent job all around. I know I have bickered through the years on here and JJ's before. Good stuff all around and really looking forward to next year when we can get things back to normalcy even if no Ashby will be a huge loss for Hoover.

I wish I'd seen this post earlier. My school didn't have that kind of info available either. As a result, some friends and I went out and got it. We went to libraries in the area and combed the local newspapers' microfilms. I know 1 of the libraries down in TusCo has the Times Reporter on microfilm because I called there once to have the staff dig up a game article and box score from a game Canton CC played at Dover in 1988. There was a discrepancy b/w the papers I looked at locally regarding the length of a scoring play which would determine if it was the longest passing TD in school history. I needed the info in the T-R to break the tie. I later found a copy of the game film to confirm the T-R and 1 of the 2 local papers' report. It was the longest passing TD in school history up until 2 years ago. Looking up that kind of stuff takes some time but can be very rewarding when you can produce definitive evidence to indicate that something did or did not happen.

Football is the easiest HS sport to research in these parts. The newspapers covered the heck out of it, and you only have to check a few days a week at most because the varsity isn't playing on Sun, Mon, or Tues. Thurs. games are rare but happen. Wed. games are rarer yet but occasionally happened long ago. The best way is to find the football preview issue, get the season schedule, and look at the paper the day after a game was scheduled (maybe 2 days later if it was a late game or a Sat. game for a paper that wasn't published on Sun.). There are times when the research gets stale, but when a breakthrough occurs, it's a lot of fun.

Another good resource is the team banquet programs if the coach prints the individual and season stats in the program. It's good for tracking down 1000 yard rushers, receivers, and whatnot, as well as figuring out career totals for players.

I had a predecessor who dug up some basic history on the team which included lists of rosters, game scores, all-time series etc. But I still spent endless hours identifying the dates of every one of those games and then everything you see in these box scores was found out through microfilm. Tons of time spent at the Louisville Library going through yearbooks/Herald microfilm and the Stark County Library Repository microfilm just obtaining as many box scores as possible throughout microfilm before leaving.

Football is much easier than the other sports to dig up because its popularity in local publications. I can't tell you how long its taken me just to find all the scores for some other sports and my journey is far from complete. The school didn't really keep records outside of what's found in the program passed down one year after another. There were hand-made books developed in the 1960's for basketball and football at Louisville with all the past scores, records, etc. to that point.

I was granted access to past video by the Touchdown Club and really went to town in terms of converting past games 5-8 years ago. Then I started a family and those efforts were pretty much muted lol. During COVID-19 I got sick of relaxing and started going through highlights again this past Summer.