Week 4: Elder vs. Lakewood St. Edward

Omar

Also, please tell me Elder isn’t taking a bus up the morning of the Eds game. It doesn’t matter if they’re 16-18 yrs old, that kind of drive still effects them. If you look at the Ignatius game from last yr, they looked sluggish the entire game.

I just don’t understand why if Eds and Ignatius can spend Friday night in Cincinnati before a Saturday game, Elder can’t do the same in Cleveland.

Travelling the morning of is a legitimate concern. Elder has a long history of losing this game on the road.
2017 lost 40-7 at Bedford HS
2015 lost 31-20 at Baldwin-Wallace
2013 lost 48-7 at John Carroll
2011 lost 30-10
2009 won 38-14
2007 lost 10-7

Travelling the morning of is a legitimate concern. Elder has a long history of losing this game on the road.
2011 lost 30-10
2009 won 38-14
2007 lost 10-7

I don’t think this will be a blowout, but I feel more confident Eds will be able to slow down Elder’s Offense than CA.

The Defense has to get pressure and make tackles. The Ed’s RB is similar to Gest from a few yrs back.

I understand St Eds has a good ground game, and Elder doesn't seem able to stop the run. Eds controls the clock and the game 28-21 St Eds.

Elder did OK with Cathedral a couple weeks ago, the reason the game was close was due to the turnovers.

As long as Elder is fresh on Saturday and does not give Eds extra chances (turnovers or turnovers on downs) then I think Elder can win.

2011 lost 30-10

LOL - those scores don't indicate the issue was with travel.

I understand St Eds has a good ground game, and Elder doesn't seem able to stop the run. Eds controls the clock and the game 28-21 St Eds.

Elder is going to have to throw the ball to set up the run. Eds is much better coached than CA, it won’t take them a full half of football to figure out they need to bring an extra man in the box to help stop the run.

Also, please tell me Elder isn’t taking a bus up the morning of the Eds game. It doesn’t matter if they’re 16-18 yrs old, that kind of drive still effects them. If you look at the Ignatius game from last yr, they looked sluggish the entire game.

I just don’t understand why if Eds and Ignatius can spend Friday night in Cincinnati before a Saturday game, Elder can’t do the same in Cleveland.

Coach& Athletic Director decision. You saying those 2 don’t know what best for the Team? Or just crying over dumb that you can’t control again? I think they should fly to Cleveland. To big of injury risk on the road between hear and Cleveland with all the rolling heroin heads these days on the interstates.

FREE PBOY!!!

Coach& Athletic Director decision. You saying those 2 don’t know what best for the Team? Or just crying over dumb that you can’t control again? I think they should fly to Cleveland. To big of injury risk on the road between hear and Cleveland with all the rolling heroin heads these days on the interstates.

FREE PBOY!!!

I don’t think it’s “dumb”, a 5 hr bus ride after waking up early in the am, then playing a game a few hrs later is tough on anyone. You can see how sluggish they looked last yr during the Ignatius game. They always looked a step or two slow in reaction.

DIVISION I AP POLL
1, Mentor (10) 3-0 146
2, St. Xavier (2) 3-0 113
3, Pickerington Central (2) 3-0 108
4, Elder (3) 3-0 85
5, Dublin Coffman 3-0 78
6, Lakewood St. Edward 2-1 65
7, Hilliard Davidson 3-0 57
8, Toledo Whitmer 3-0 54
9, Cleveland St. Ignatius 2-1 50
10, Euclid 3-0 41

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Fairfield (1) 40. 12, Powell Olentangy Liberty 31. 13, Stow-Munroe Falls 27. 14, Sycamore 21. 15, Springboro 17. 16, Reynoldsburg 13. 16, Westerville Central 13.

I'm not saying they win all of those games, but they clearly didn't play well. The common denominator is the travel.
I think that’s apparent to anyone who has seen them play in Cleveland the past few yrs. They weren’t ready at all for the Eds game 2 yrs ago at Bedford.

Regardless, I’m way more concerned about the tackling and lack of pass rush than travel. Not having recorded a sack 3 games into the yr is concerning.

I can’t verify this, but just based on the eye test, it looks like Elder Blitzes more than in yr’s past. They love to walk one of the middle LBs up to the LOS to show blitz.

Last edited:
The common denominator is the travel.

LOL - or St Eds.

Elder people are unbelievable when it comes to excuses. It's so funny.

Just admit you ran into better teams, which Eds has had for the better part of this decade. That's not a knock on Elder - Ed's has been very, very good. At least show some respect for the quality of opponent.

2011 lost 30-10
2009 won 38-14
2007 lost 10-7

Then the question has to be asked. Why do the Coaches &Athletic Dept keep repeating something that obviously doesn’t work?

FREE PBOY!!!

Last edited:
Then the question has to be asked. Why do the Coaches &Athletic Dept keep repeating something that obviously doesn’t work?

I guess to be fair, they have only done a little better at home vs. St. Edward. They should have won last year's game though. That is 3 wins at home and only 1 win on the road.

Facing St. Ed's at home
2005 Lost 34-17
2008 Won 52-31
2010 Lost 20-3
2012 Lost 42-28
2014 Won 21-14
2016 Won 15-9
2018 Lost 36-30

Facing St. Ed's on the road
2007 lost 10-7
2009 won 38-14
2011 lost 30-10

It is an earlier than normal start. Still odd to me that the Coach&AD keep repeating something that doesn’t work.

FREE PBOY!!!
Why can Eds and Ignatius spend the Friday in Cincinnati but Elder can’t spend the night in Cleveland. It doesn’t make sense they keep putting themselves at a distinct disadvantage.

Why can Eds and Ignatius spend the Friday in Cincinnati but Elder can’t spend the night in Cleveland. It doesn’t make sense they keep putting themselves at a distinct disadvantage.

Elder Coaches&AD apparently don’t think riding up day of has any bearing on the outcome of game. This also plays into the “tough” slogan that the Elder folks like to use every chance they get. Only other thing I can think of is,don’t want to spend more money on this trip than they already do. Amazing they want to stick with a Tradition that doesn’t work!

FREE PBOY!!!

Last edited:
St. Edward comes in at 2-1. They were missing standout WR Mackenzie Wainwright against Mentor, not sure about week 2 and 3. They also had Pietrowski at ILB instead of DE which affected their pass rush against Mentor. Not sure if that was strategy or if returning starter Hankins was hurt. Last week, Ed's beat 3x defending Pennsylvania 4A state champion Cathedral Prep 21-14 in a 25mph wind game that affected both team's passing game. PA goes up to 6A I think so Cathedral Prep is a D3 equivalent.

Week 1 Mentor lost 29-28
Week 2 Detroit Cass Tech(MI) won 41-20
Week 3 Cathedral Prep(PA) won 21-14

Remember St. Ed's is the defending state champion beating Colerain 24-10 last year. The same Colerain team that beat Elder 42-0 in the playoffs racking up 471 yards of offense, 360 rushing. Somehow St. Ed's was able to slow Colerain down last year. They typically have the speed on defense to matchup with a team like Colerain. In all fairness to Elder, the chance of beating Colerain went away without having standout QB Michael Bittner. Huge difference as Elder should have beat St. Ed's at home earlier in the season behind an amazing performance by Bittner, letting it slip away 36-30 after being up 28-14 at halftime. That was all last year though.

This is a new St. Ed's team with many new starters, but they still pride themselves on defense so this will be a great matchup against Elder's high scoring offensive machine. Ed's lost big time playmakers on offense in 2nd team all state WR Quintel Kent and 3rd team all state RB Jordan Castleberry. On defense, they lost 1st team all state DB Caden Kolesar. They have a new QB, RB, WRs on offense and several new starters on defense so this is really a different team.

Here's some information I was able to look up on St. Ed's.

St. Ed's DEFENSE
Elder will have to account for Michigan State commit Jeffrey Pietrowski(6'2 240"). He had 11.5 sacks last year at DE and is a skilled pass rusher. They have 3 total starters returning on defensive line, along with Pietrowski they have Terron Lee(5'10" 235 Sr.) and Alexander Colangelo(6'1" 245 Sr. committed to Robert Morris). They have 3 strong linebackers(average speed) with C.J. Hankins(6'0 218 Jr.) a returning starter. Hankins has slowly been getting healthy so that should be a factor in Elder's favor.

The secondary is led by 3 returning starters. The Nash brothers, Logan and Lawson(5'11" 185) are both committed to UPenn. One plays corner, the other plays safety. The other returning starter is Richard Johnson(5'9" 195 Sr). Ed's is fast and athletic in the secondary. Jaylen Castleberry(6'0" 175 Jr.) will also come in and play in the Nickel defense.
As much as they pride themselves on defense, they have given up a lot of yards rushing. Mentor rushed for over 300 yards against Ed's and Cathedral Prep RB rushed for 183 yards last week. I think behind Elder's big offensive line, they should be able to run the ball effectively and really pose problems for Ed's. Along with Ramsey's passing attack, Elder should move the ball and score against a good St. Ed's defense.

St. Ed's OFFENSE
The strength of the St. Ed's offense is their offensive line. Just like Elder, they look very big up front. They have LT Ronan Chambers(6'5" 270 Sr. committed to Akron), LG Nathan Stuart(6'2" 285 Sr. Case Western), C Devin Crowder(6'0" 260 Sr.), RG Christopher Moran(6'3" 320 Jr.), RT Brian Kibane(6'4" 290 Sr. committed to Bowling Green).

The running back is a good, hard runner #1 Joe Formani(5'11" 205 Sr.). He's not going to be as fast or strong as the Clearwater RB, but he still has the ability to have a big game against an Elder defense that has had trouble stopping the run.

The QB Conor O'Malley(6'2" 200) can throw and run. He'll carry the ball running a lot of RPO. Elder will have to account for O'Malley when trying to stop the run.

St. Ed's has been missing standout WR Mackenzie Wainwright. He was in a boot for the week 1 game against Mentor. I don't know his status. He is a game changer for St. Ed's if he plays. Luckily for St. Ed's, the standout PG on their basketball team, Montorie Foster(6'2" 175 Sr.) decided to come back to football. It sounds like he hasn't played football since grade school. He started practice on August 1st and only has a month and half of HS football. After 3 weeks, he's starting to progress and had a big game in Week 2. He is extremely athletic making some amazing plays on the ball. He is the gamebreaker Ed's would have been missing on offense. He already has an offer from Akron and he visited UC last week.

The other 2 WRs are tall 6'3" and 6'4", but without Wainwright they are lacking a gamebreaking deep threat. I think the strength of the Ed's offense is their running game behind a good offensive line.

St. Ed's SPECIAL TEAMS
The RB Formani returned a kick for a TD against Cass Tech. Ed's also blocked 2 or 3 punts vs. Cass Tech. They love to try and block punts so Elder will have to be ready for that. Not sure how good their kicker is.

OFFENSE
QB #10 Conor O'Malley 6'2" 200 Sr.
RB #1 Joe Formani 5'11" 205 Sr.
RB #24 Malachi Watkins 5'9" 186 Jr.
WR #5 Nathan Simon 6'3" 180 Sr.
WR #11 Aidan Skinner 6'4" 185 Sr.
WR #13 Montorie Foster 6'2" 175 Sr. (offer from Akron)
WR #17 Michael Lombardo 5'7" 160 Sr.
TE #87 Nick Dottore 6'2" 210 Sr.
LT #63 Ronan Chambers 6'5" 270 Sr. (committed to Akron)
LG #62 Nathan Stuart 6'2" 285 Sr. (offer from D3 Case Western Reserve)
C #56 Devin Crowder 6'0" 260 Sr.
RG #74 Christopher Moran 6'3" 320 Jr.
RT #65 Brian Kibane 6'4" 290 Sr. (committed to Bowling Green)

WR #84 Mackenzie Wainwright 6'1" 215 Sr. Is he playing this week? Wainwright is committed to Ohio St. for baseball. #1 baseball player in Ohio I think? He had 6 D1 offers(mac schools) in football.
OL/DL #76 Thomas Aden 6'0" 263 Jr.

DEFENSE
DE #91 Treyton Bixby 6'4" 230 Jr.
DL #95 Terron Lee 5'10" 235 Sr.
DL #9 Alexander Colangelo 6'1" 245 Sr.(committed to Robert Morris)
DE #47 Jeffrey Pietrowski 6'2" 240 Sr.(committed to Michigan State)
LB #4 Joseph Wilber 6'0" 200 Sr.
LB #7 C.J. Hankins 6'0" 218 Jr.
LB #45 Christopher Cantrell 6'0" 200 Sr.
CB #25 #20 Donovan Stanley 6'0" 170 So.
CB #8 Logan Nash 5'11" 180 Sr. (committed to UPenn)
S #2 Richard Johnson 5'9" 195 Sr.
S #6 Lawson Nash 5'11" 185 Sr. (committed to UPenn)

LB #46 Brendan Belz LB 6'1" 180 Jr.
DB #3 Jaylen Castleberry 6'0" 175 Jr.

Last edited:
PREDICTION: Elder matches up ok with St. Ed's in that Elder's offense can neutralize Ed's defensive strength. Ed's will not have an answer for Royer and their defense has given up yards on the ground. Expect Leubbe to run past the LBs for several big gains. Elder should be able to score in the 30-40s. The big question is the Elder defense. We can give them a pass against that Clearwater team, but Ed's has a big offensive line and Formani is a good, hard runner. The QB can throw and run. I don't have confidence that Elder can stop St. Ed's run game. I'm not sure about the status of Mackenzie Wainwright, if he plays that is a big time weapon Ed's will have. I'm hoping in the end, the Elder defense can do enough to slow down Ed's offense with a couple stops and a turnover or two.

I hesitate to pick Elder on the road against St. Ed's, but I do like the extra day of rest they have with the game being on a Saturday.

Elder 38
St. Edward 35

Elder Coaches&AD apparently don’t think riding up day of has any bearing on the outcome of game. This also plays into the “tough” slogan that the Elder folks like to use every chance they get. Only other thing I can think of is,don’t want to spend more money on this trip than they already do. Amazing they want to stick with a Tradition that doesn’t work!

FREE PBOY!!!

They won two state championships traveling up the day of the game. Please stop. In a perfect world would it make sense to go up the night before? Yes, but lets get real, the difference is minimal at best. It is an hour or so longer of a trip than when they go up to Indy on a Friday afternoon after school to play the same night. That seems to be a tougher trip than a 3 and a half hour trip on a Saturday with plenty of time for lunch stop.

They won two state championships traveling up the day of the game. Please stop. In a perfect world would it make sense to go up the night before? Yes, but lets get real, the difference is minimal at best. It is an hour or so longer of a trip than when they go up to Indy on a Friday afternoon after school to play the same night. That seems to be a tougher trip than a 3 and a half hour trip on a Saturday with plenty of time for lunch stop.

The 4 pm Kickoff is what concerns me. They left for Canton early in the am, but kickoff wasn’t until later that night.

I’m not sure how you can ignore the Ignatius game from last yr. That’s pretty much all the evidence you should need that it has more of an impact than you’re leading on

Last edited:

Why I said Coach&AD decision. I truly am amazed not trying to maybe switch things up some with the record of doing the same day thing particularly against Ed’s. The decision made has nothing to do with what any of us think and I can live with that.

FREE PBOY!!!