Week 4: Cathedral

Man, I'm actually a bit worried tonight...Cathedral is super awesome. I'm thinking more like St X +1.5 or 2. Have you seen them play??? 13 is wayy too high, broskey.

Congrats to St. X on the win. Tough night for the Irish, they need to get healthy in a bad way. Started game with RB Stepp and FB Mencer, lost WR Collins during the game.

I was happy for the most part with how tough the Irish defense played considering how bad the punting was. Put the Irish defense in bad situations all night. They held strong for a little bit, eventually the extremely talented X Offense wore them down and broke it open. Best of luck to the Bombers on the rest season! Go win a State Championship!

Congrats to St. X on the win. Tough night for the Irish, they need to get healthy in a bad way. Started game with RB Stepp and FB Mencer, lost WR Collins during the game.

I was happy for the most part with how tough the Irish defense played considering how bad the punting was. Put the Irish defense in bad situations all night. They held strong for a little bit, eventually the extremely talented X Offense wore them down and broke it open. Best of luck to the Bombers on the rest season! Go win a State Championship!

Thanks CHS and good luck to your team the rest of the season. Your defense is very good and that bodes well for another championship run by your Irish. I must say,.....I've been on this board quite a while,..........you have to be one of the most classy and knowledgeable posters on here. Again good luck and get all your guys back for your playoff run.

Go Irish !!!

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

Thanks CHS and good luck to your team the rest of the season. Your defense is very good and that bodes well for another championship run by your Irish. I must say,.....I've been on this board quite a while,..........you have to be one of the most classy and knowledgeable posters on here. Again good luck and get all your guys back for your playoff run.

Go Irish !!!

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

Thank yo for the kind words kdogg. To me anyone can discuss and talk about games without being disrespectful, and that is the way I like to approach my posts.

I knew coming into this game beating St. Xavier was going to be a very tall order. The Bomber defense is always spectacular, and this year they have an extremely talented offense. The Bombers always are disciplined and fundamentally sound. I mostly was hoping to see the Irish compete and hang around because if they do its always possible to get that play at the end to sneak away with a victory. The only possible way for that to happen was to have a healthy starting line-up.

Unfortunately starting the game with Notre Dame commit Markese Stepp in street clothes and FB Sam Mencer not making the trip the evening wasn't looking great. Cissell is a good RB that plays hard and runs fast, but Stepp gives a different dynamic to the Irish ground game and Mencer is a good size FB. It was going to be a tall task to win with those guys, but now without them it fell on the shoulders of Sophomore QB Roman Purcell (making his 5th varsity start) and made it even more challenging.

Not all was bad for the Irish they did some things very well and did other things not so well, but hey they are working to improve. I thought the Irish Offensive Line did very well against a terrific front 6 for St. X. They picked up blitzes very well at times, there were going to be times St. X front 6 beat them and got through they just needed to limit the number of times that happened. It was an excellent test for our Offensive Line. It really was a blow losing WR Daijon Collins in 2nd qtr.

I can't speak enough about how proud I was of the heart the Irish defense played with. Yes they need a lot of work in the secondary (they even moved some players around for this game switching Wirth and Stewart). They gave up some big plays in the secondary and need to keep working to get better. What made me proud of the defense was: (a) the Irish Offense was struggling missing 2 of its best players and the defense was going to see the field a lot. (b) the Irish punting game was absolutely horrid placing the Irish Defense in bad positions giving St. X the ball with good field position almost all night (c) they fought hard until the end and made some good plays.

You guys have something special at St. Xavier this year. I will definitely be pulling for the Bombers to win back to back State Championships. As for the Irish I hope they get healthy and keep improving come tourney time to make a run!