Week 4: Cathedral

ReLoad

The Bombers (3-0) welcome the Cathedral Irish (1-3) from Indianapolis to Ballaban Field for a 7pm kickoff this Friday.

StX leads the series 15-1, a series that began in 1999 with X’s only loss being in the year 2000.

The Irish are already well travelled, starting the year with 3 out of state road losses by a total of 15 points to LStX (KY), King (MI) and Pick Central (OH). They picked up their first victory at Bishop Chatard (IN) last Friday 34-13.

The Irish offense has scored 117 points while the defense has surrendered 116
Cathedral 28-35-20-34 117
Opponents 35-38-25-13 116

Last edited:

Cathedral's offense returns Notre Dame commit RB Markese Steppe (missed StX game due to injury), Michigan commit OL Emil Ekiyor (6’4” 315lb) and WR Daijon Collins who torched the Bomber defense last year with 13 catches for 103 yards and 2 TDs.

The new QB sophomore Roman Purcell (6’1” 205lb) already has offers from UK and TCU.
In addition to the explosive Collins he likes to throw to a pair of 6’4” tight ends.

Defensively the Irish return senior LBs Hugh Davis (Boston College) and Jackson Barrow (Toledo) who combined for 10 tackles and 2 sacks vs. X.

Cathedral's secondary has been the weak link so far.
They aren't very big nor athletic and are susceptible to giving up the big play

Cathedral players probable to Start/Play (Offense):

OL - #70 Ben Treece (Sr) 6'-6" 295 lbs
OL - #59 Jacob Obst (Sr) 6'-3" 292 lbs
OL - #72 Emil Ekiyor (Sr) 6'-4" 322 lbs commit to Michigan
OL - #78 Andy Guhl (Sr) 6'-2" 244 lbs
OL - #55 Blake Kaufman (Jr) 6'-4" 257 lbs
QB - #4 Roman Purcell (So) 6'-1" 205 lbs offers from Kentucky and TCU
RB - #30 Markese Stepp (Sr) 6'-1" 215 lbs commit to Notre Dame
RB - #26 Chon'Dre Cissell (Jr) 5'-4" 145 lbs
FB - #43 Sam Mencer (Sr) 6'-0" 210 lbs
TE - #82 C.J. Voigt (Sr) 6'-3" 230 lbs
TE - #86 Haven Montefalco (Jr) 6'-4" 200 lbs
WR - #6 Daijon Collins (Sr) 5'-9" 163 lbs commit to Indiana State; last year vs. the Bombers 13 catches for 103 yards and 2 TDs.
WR - #10 Darrick Hall (Sr) 5'-9" 189 lbs
WR - #19 Carson Caito (Jr) 5'-6" 126 lbs

Cathedral players probable to Start/Play (Defense):

DL - #44 Danny Rodgers (Sr) 6'-3" 226 lbs
DL - #51 Judah Officer (Jr) 6'-1" 215 lbs
DL - #98 Joe Finnell (Jr) 6'-2" 229 lbs
OLB - #47 Max Wirth (Sr) 6'-0" 190 lbs
OLB - #14 Jordan Thomas (So) 5'-9" 133 lbs
ILB - #11 Hugh Davis (Sr) 6'-1" 215 lbs commit Boston College
ILB - #7 Jackson Barrow (Sr) 6'-1" 215 lbs commit Toledo
ILB - #46 Will Chapman (Jr) 6'-0" 200 lbs
ILB - #50 Richie Hagerty (Jr) 6'-3" 213 lbs
CB - #5 Bo Sanders (Jr) 6'-1" 160 lbs
CB - #12 Dorian Collins (Jr) 5'-10" 152 lbs
S - #23 Dylan Stewart (Sr) 5'-6" 155 lbs

The Bomber defense and special teams will be out to limit Stepp's rushing yards and contain Collins on kick returns and receptions

Wolf and Company should have their way with the Irish porous pass defense and improve to 16-1 vs Cathedral

Cathedral's offense returns Notre Dame commit RB Markese Steppe (missed StX game due to injury), Michigan commit OL Emil Ekiyor (6’4” 315lb) and WR Daijon Collins who torched the Bomber defense last year with 13 catches for 103 yards and 2 TDs.

The new QB sophomore Roman Purcell (6’1” 205lb) already has offers from UK and TCU.
In addition to the explosive Collins he likes to throw to a pair of 6’4” tight ends.

The Cathedral QB Roman Purcell grew up here in cincinnati. He was supposed to go to Lasalle before they moved. His dad helped coach there a litltle. He just moved about 2 years ago. This is his first starting gig since little league we need to welcome him home with a big fat kiss in the chops.:soapbox:

I see the Bombers adding to their 16 year winning streak vs Cathedral. They could make it a close game (2005, X won 24-21 with last minute Darius Ashley TD run).

Just watched the Cathedral-Pick Central game (PC won 25-20)

The Irish sophomore QB is going to be a good one by senior year.
Scrambles well, runs the read option and throws a nice ball.
Probably had close to 15 carries in the game.
Spreads it around to the 2 receivers Collins (35 yard TD reception back of the end zone) and Hall (25 yard TD on a slant over the middle) and the tight ends.

Stepp is not 100%.
They went with Cissell the 5'4" 145lb RB for the first 2 series while Stepp stretched on the sidelines.
Stepp went in on the 3rd series and platooned with Cissell from there out.
He was effective running the ball with his combination of speed and power but not to the level he usually hits.
They use their 210lb fullback Mencer mostly to block for the RB but he did carry straight ahead about 5 times.

It is not the usual stout Cathedral defense.
PC scored 4 TDs on them and could have had 6.

Last edited:
Cathedral players probable to Start/Play (Defense):

DL - #44 Danny Rodgers (Sr) 6'-3" 226 lbs
DL - #51 Judah Officer (Jr) 6'-1" 215 lbs
DL - #98 Joe Finnell (Jr) 6'-2" 229 lbs
OLB - #47 Max Wirth (Sr) 6'-0" 190 lbs
OLB - #14 George Kirch (Sr) 5'-9" 133 lbs
ILB - #11 Hugh Davis (Sr) 6'-1" 215 lbs commit Boston College
ILB - #7 Jackson Barrow (Sr) 6'-1" 215 lbs commit Toledo
ILB - #46 Will Chapman (Jr) 6'-0" 200 lbs
ILB - #50 Richie Hagerty (Jr) 6'-3" 213 lbs
CB - #5 Bo Sanders (Jr) 6'-1" 160 lbs
CB - #12 Dorian Collins (Jr) 5'-10" 152 lbs
S - #23 Dylan Stewart (Sr) 5'-6" 155 lbs

That is not a typo.
The Irish defense plays a 133lb sophomore LB

When I gave the starting line-up in the Pickerington Central starters I made a typo. The OLB in CHS's 3-5 defense is #14 George Kirch and he is a SR. There also is more of a rotation on the D-line now so a couple more players see quite a bit of action.

The Cathedral QB Roman Purcell grew up here in cincinnati. He was supposed to go to Lasalle before they moved. His dad helped coach there a litltle. He just moved about 2 years ago. This is his first starting gig since little league we need to welcome him home with a big fat kiss in the chops.:soapbox:

The Cathedral QB Roman Purcell attended St. Peters Prep in Jersey City, NJ his Freshman year. He grew up in Brookville Indiana. They moved back to Indiana from New Jersey to be closer to a sick family member. His father Rick played for Noter Dame as a WR/DB from 87-89. He is a Sophomore and has started all 4 games Cathedral has played this year. Article about him: https://indianapreps.wordpress.com/2017/07/15/cathedral-2020-qb-lands-sec-offer/

This will be a tall task for Cathedral. Wolf will be by far and away the best QB Cathedral faces all year. He should really stretch a struggling Cathedral secondary who again last week gave up too many big plays to an inferior Chatard team.

Stepp platooned again last week with Cissell as he is still not 100%. He's just ineffective without that second gear to get to the outside. He had some success up the middle against a smaller DLine but X will provide a much bigger challenge.

I hope Cathedral can keep this one semi-competitive as they do most years but I think this is one of the few years where it could get ugly. Here's to hoping for a good, injury-free game from both sides.

When I gave the starting line-up in the Pickerington Central starters I made a typo. The OLB in CHS's 3-5 defense is #14 George Kirch and he is a SR. There also is more of a rotation on the D-line now so a couple more players see quite a bit of action.

The Cathedral QB Roman Purcell attended St. Peters Prep in Jersey City, NJ his Freshman year. He grew up in Brookville Indiana. They moved back to Indiana from New Jersey to be closer to a sick family member. His father Rick played for Noter Dame as a WR/DB from 87-89. He is a Sophomore and has started all 4 games Cathedral has played this year. Article about him: https://indianapreps.wordpress.com/2017/07/15/cathedral-2020-qb-lands-sec-offer/

The cathedral QB Roman Purcell grew up here in Cincinnati, He was here until his 9th grade year when his family relocated to NJ. He played youth football here on several different teams as late as his 8th grade year. His family may be from IN. but he was here up thru the 8th grade. Mom was a P&Ger. Dad did a little coaching stint at LaSalle a few years ago, Good folks.

It's a roster typo. Kirch is closer to 6-0 and 185 lbs. He wasn't #14 originally to start the year. He plays more of a rover/safety hybrid in Cathedral's defensive scheme.

ok, that's different. Before they said it was a typo and that he was a Sr, not a So. That sounds more like it.

Cathedral will struggle to run against our strong front six. Expect a lot of three and outs. Bacevich is unstoppable in a three point stance on third down passing situations. Wolf and his talented receiver crew will have a big night. Fox will have lots of yards to keep the offense balanced.

Cathedral will struggle to run against our strong front six. Expect a lot of three and outs. Bacevich is unstoppable in a three point stance on third down passing situations. Wolf and his talented receiver crew will have a big night. Fox will have lots of yards to keep the offense balanced.

Agreed. Despite mistakes, this offense is more explosive than any offense we've seen since Dolle and company (Hundley, Milligan, Kilgore) in 2011, IMO.

Agreed. Despite mistakes, this offense is more explosive than any offense we've seen since Dolle and company (Hundley, Milligan, Kilgore) in 2011, IMO.

That's why they play the game on the field. There certainly are plenty of weaknesses for Cathedral, but they are still a very good football team that has played some very good competition to this point. They will come out and play hard Friday night.

I hope for an injury free game for both teams. I won't disrespect St. Xavier they always play hard and are always a great football team. Best of luck to the Bombers Friday night, hopefully the Irish can put up a good challenge.

That's why they play the game on the field. There certainly are plenty of weaknesses for Cathedral, but they are still a very good football team that has played some very good competition to this point. They will come out and play hard Friday night.

I hope for an injury free game for both teams. I won't disrespect St. Xavier they always play hard and are always a great football team. Best of luck to the Bombers Friday night, hopefully the Irish can put up a good challenge.

I really do hope for another close game (like 2005), injury free and good weather. Despite the record, Cathedral are a talented team and good competition. Good luck to both teams.

I really do hope for another close game (like 2005), injury free and good weather. Despite the record, Cathedral are a talented team and good competition. Good luck to both teams.

Hell there's been a lot more closer games than just 2005 and most the Cathedral-St. X games are competitive games save a few years. Some of the recent Cathedral-St. X scores.

2016: X 34-29. X scored on a late TD drive to take the lead an INT a pass in the endzone late to seal it.

2015: X 31-17. Tied ball game going into the 4th as X pulled away late.

2014: X 27-0. This has been one of the few games where X completely dominated from start to finish

2013: X 15-6. One of the more uglier games I've seen played but close throughout

2012: X 33-27. Cathedral dug themselves in a huge hole in the 1H and came all the way back, just needed one stop they couldn't get

2011: DNP

2010: X 28-24. Cathedral lead most the game at Ballaban and X connected on a bomb with a minute left to win.

2009: X 19-10

2008: X 17-3

2007: DNP

2006: X 23-3. Dominating performance by X in that one with arguably one of their best teams ever in my opinion. (I was a junior this year and that X class of 2008 was unbelievable)

2005: X 24-21

Cathedral hasn't fared well in the W-L column but I think more times than not Cathedral has fared exceptionally well against the Bombers, especially given X has nearly 2.5x the male enrollment. I will say though that I can see this being one of the games that may be a blowout in X's favor. Cathedral this year simply doesn't have the athletes in their secondary to give an elite passer like Wolf fits. Hope I'm wrong but if he gets time to throw it could get ugly.

Hell there's been a lot more closer games than just 2005 and most the Cathedral-St. X games are competitive games save a few years. Some of the recent Cathedral-St. X scores.

2016: X 34-29. X scored on a late TD drive to take the lead an INT a pass in the endzone late to seal it.

2014: X 27-0. This has been one of the few games where X completely dominated from start to finish

2013: X 15-6. One of the more uglier games I've seen played but close throughout

2012: X 33-27. Cathedral dug themselves in a huge hole in the 1H and came all the way back, just needed one stop they couldn't get

2010: X 28-24. Cathedral lead most the game at Ballaban and X connected on a bomb with a minute left to win.

2006: X 23-3. Dominating performance by X in that one with arguably one of their best teams ever in my opinion. (I was a junior this year and that X class of 2008 was unbelievable)

Cathedral hasn't fared well in the W-L column but I think more times than not Cathedral has fared exceptionally well against the Bombers, especially given X has nearly 2.5x the male enrollment. I will say though that I can see this being one of the games that may be a blowout in X's favor. Cathedral this year simply doesn't have the athletes in their secondary to give an elite passer like Wolf fits. Hope I'm wrong but if he gets time to throw it could get ugly.

There has been more than just those games too that were close:

1999: St. X 14 Cathedral 7
- Game played at Indianapolis Arlington Otis Shannon powered in at beginning of 4th to tie the ball game 7-7. St. X mounted a drive to score and make it 14-7 Cathedral had 2 3rd down penalties that really hurt and kept the drive alive.

2000: Cathedral 17 St. X 13
-Cathedral had a spectacular performance from Otis Shannon. Scored the go ahead TD after a huge punt return. St. X mounted another drive similar to 1999. Cathedral stopped St. X 4 straight downs from the 3 yd line to make a goal line stand to win at St. Xavier.

2001: St. X 21 Cathedral 0
-St. X pretty much dominated every facet of the game in Indy. Zach Decatur for Cathedral turned in a great performance but they couldn't find the end-zone

2002: St. X 25 Cathedral 6
-St. X again dominated every facet of the game at St. X.

2003: St. X 23 Cathedral 3
-Cathedral was not a very good team that year, first year going 2 platoon and St. X pretty much dominated in Indy.

2004: St. X 21 Cathedral 14
-The Irish played very well and even had the ball at the end of the game if I remember correctly trying to mount a drive for the tie.

2006 may have been the best St. X team you saw, but the 2007 team was lights out the best and fastest ever. During that year, they knocked off nationally ranked DeMatha, MD 28-7 and Colerain 28-14. I could be wrong about the score against Colerain but I got DeMatha right.

The 2005 score was just an example. I know there were other close scores throughout the years and then the game Cathedral won.

2006 may have been the best St. X team you saw, but the 2007 team was lights out the best and fastest ever. During that year, they knocked off nationally ranked DeMatha, MD 28-7 and Colerain 28-14. I could be wrong about the score against Colerain but I got DeMatha right.

The 2005 score was just an example. I know there were other close scores throughout the years and then the game Cathedral won.

You're right, I meant the 2008 class which would have been juniors at the time in 2006. If I remember correctly they started almost all juniors and then Luke Kuechly as a sophomore maybe that year? Fortunately we didn't play St. X in 07, my senior year. We struggled to beat a DeVier Posey led LaSalle team in the Herbstreit and then got beat up pretty good by Moe later in the year.

Last year was a close game. Cathedral was up late and X scored to win by 5. I believe Cathedral was driving and X got a pick on its half of the field. Exciting game.
I've heard a few folks say that Cathedral was the most explosive offense X will see all year. Very interested to watch matchup of D1 Ekifor vs X linebackers in the middle.

Cathedral will be a challenging opponent, but I agree X will prevail as the dominant team. The front six on D could be the best that X has ever had. Led by Bacevich they are so strong. Kudos to Bacevich for his mobility to play different positions, but frankly I think he has been under utilized. I like him best in his down stance rushing the QB. UC got a good one and I am excited to watch him in college. On the other side of the ball, Wolf and his receiving gang of Whitrock, Kriemer, and Specht supported by Shamsi could be one of the best X has ever seen as well. Add Fox running the ball and we have a complete attack behind a solid O line. Good things ahead for the Bombers!!

Last year was a close game. Cathedral was up late and X scored to win by 5. I believe Cathedral was driving and X got a pick on its half of the field. Exciting game.
I've heard a few folks say that Cathedral was the most explosive offense X will see all year. Very interested to watch matchup of D1 Ekifor vs X linebackers in the middle.

Ekiyor plays Center and that surprises me a lot because Cathedral runs a lot of read option out of the gun and has their backs going east-west rather than north-south. He's almost under utilized. I'm not sure the severity or extent of Stepp's injury but he is not 100% getting to the outside and that's really Cathedral's only prayer. As good and powerful as he is I don't see him gashing an extremely talented X DL up the middle, even with Ekiyor paving the way.

You're right, I meant the 2008 class which would have been juniors at the time in 2006. If I remember correctly they started almost all juniors and then Luke Kuechly as a sophomore maybe that year? Fortunately we didn't play St. X in 07, my senior year. We struggled to beat a DeVier Posey led LaSalle team in the Herbstreit and then got beat up pretty good by Moe later in the year.

He didn't start until his junior year in 2007. He was a backup in 2006 if memory serves me correctly.