Week 3: St. X

Well I certainly hope they have more to do out of the “wildcat” or whatever that was with Ramsey at QB last night because that was pretty pathetic. Ramsey is too good an athlete for that to be the best they can do out of that package.
I would like to see him pass more, just to give Defenses something more to worry about. However, Cooper Johnson only getting 5 carries last night isn’t good enough. Elder was tied or ahead most of the game, so it’s not like they had to dig themselves out of a hole all night.

I would move Larkins to D end as well. He's maybe the third option right now as far a receivers go behind Nieman, and Ramsey and I think the Oline has been the surprise of the team so far. They have done great for having 4 new guys in this yr.

JT Miller did a great job on Clifford last night. The Dline and LB's have been underwhelming this year so far. Guys like Kammerer and Georges are making too many tackles as db's.

I think this team can play with anyone in the region on a good night. The offense can and will score.....The D needs to tighten up... too many missed tackles.

moving Larkins to DE, sliding Mitchell to OLB and Thomas returning are pretty huge changes. The overall value added might be minimal, but it’s something they’ve got to try. There’s no way they scheme themselves out of this Defense’s issues.

I would like to see him pass more, just to give Defenses something more to worry about. However, Cooper Johnson only getting 5 carries last night isn’t good enough. Elder was tied or ahead most of the game, so it’s not like they had to dig themselves out of a hole all night.
Yeah I don’t understand why they didn’t give CJ the ball more either.

Getting tossed for fighting is 2 games, getting ejected for 2 unsportsmanlike penalties is 1 game, I guess. I understand the purpose of the rule, but you’ve got a kid who just missed 2.5 games for a shove to the facemask. There’s no way the intention of the rule was to punish players for minor stuff like that.

Both players were ejected for fighting.

When the videos of each event were reviewed it was determined that the Elder player did indeed strike his opponent in a way that met the definition of fighting under NFHS Rules. Apparently, it was determined that the LaSalle player did not. The ejection was upheld, but the additional game suspension was not, in the eyes of people who matter, warranted. Hence, he was eligible to play last night.

Last edited:
I just got around to reading the Elder-X game recap on cincinnati.com and saw this quote. I don't know if an opponent could say anything more degrading challenging your heart and work ethic. I would hope this gets back to the Elder players.

"I think we have better endurance than them," St. Xavier's Kellom said of the fourth quarter onslaught. "We push harder. We fight harder. That gets the job done. There's nothing like it. Especially in The Pit."

I just got around to reading the Elder-X game recap on cincinnati.com and saw this quote. I don't know if an opponent could say anything more degrading challenging your heart and work ethic. I would hope this gets back to the Elder players.

That’s one way to look at it...

I understand the angle of bulletin board material but nothing he said was wrong. X beat the crap out of Elder in the 4th qtr and they definitely looked like a fresher team.

I understand the angle of bulletin board material but nothing he said was wrong. X beat the crap out of Elder in the 4th qtr and they definitely looked like a fresher team.

I'm confused. Do you think Elder has a conditioning problem, or the players lack heart?

Elder was dismantled in the 2nd half and outscored 21-0 in the 4th qtr. He's a high school kid who didn't say anything about a lack of heart for Elder players. He said they pushed and fought harder and had better endurance than Elder. All of which was true on Friday.

Elder was dismantled in the 2nd half and outscored 21-0 in the 4th qtr. He's a high school kid who didn't say anything about a lack of heart for Elder players. He said they pushed and fought harder and had better endurance than Elder. All of which was true on Friday.

Alright then. X kids are just tougher than Elder kids. I get it now.

What would you attribute it to, a 16 year old kid saw his team win the fourth quarter 21-0. What point that he said do you disagree with?

In the 4th qtr of this past game, they absolutely were. There’s a pretty good chance these teams will meet again. And like they said in the U 30 for 30, “If you don’t like us dancing, don’t let us in the end zone.” If you’re Elder and don’t like what he said, do something about it.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Do you think Elder has a conditioning problem, or the players lack heart?
Pretty clear when X went up tempo, the wore out the Elder Defense. However, if Elder wants to use this as motivation for the next game, good. Jordan was so good bc he would take anything said as a sleight and use that as motivation to crush his opponent.

Semantics.... You still didn't answer the question... What did the X kid say that wasn't true? If they play again I would use it as bulletin board material if I was Elder. The point still stands that everything the X kid said was absolutely true.

Semantics.... You still didn't answer the question... What did the X kid say that wasn't true? If they play again I would use it as bulletin board material if I was Elder. The point still stands that everything the X kid said was absolutely true.

Some Elder fans get upset every time they lose. Your aware of this. I agree, everything the X kid said was true. Not sure why there’s an issue these days with telling the truth.

I would argue that what he said was pretty subjective and immeasurable aside from the score.

I seem to be in the minority here. What do you do then? Do you take out the more talented players in favor of players who are better conditioned/play harder? Extra conditioning for those that need it?

I would argue that what he said was pretty subjective and immeasurable aside from the score.

I seem to be in the minority here. What do you do then? Do you take out the more talented players in favor of players who are better conditioned/play harder? Extra conditioning for those that need it?
The results speak for themselves. X totally wore out Elder in that 4th Qtr. There’s no real good option for Elder on Defense. The only thing they can do is play Larkins more at DE, move Mitchell to OLB to help stop the run. There’s a few key players on this Defense that definitely lost a step from last yr too.

I just think you call it what it was. They were outplayed in the 2nd half especially the 4th qtr which leads me to believe what the kid was saying was true. Having said all that it doesn't mean anything come week 9 or whenever it is that these two teams meet up again. It was week 3 and conditioning can be worked on for the rest of the season. I think finding some semblance of a running game will help to keep the D off the filed. Hopefully they just get better on D moving forward.