Week 3: Poland Seminary Bulldogs [D-IV:R13] (1-1) at Canfield Cardinals [D-III:R9] (2-0)

Who will come out victorious

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simkon

Poland (1-1) is comming off of a much better performance in week 2 against the Louisville Leopards (0-2), after a very poor showing in week 1 against the Chaney Cowboys (2-0) where they were held to a paltry 2 points off of a safety. Although Poland doesn't have the talent on paper to match up with Canfield, anything can happen in rivalry games like this as has been evidenced in previous meetings.
Canfield (2-0) defeated the Bellevue Redman (1-1) last week 28-12, allowing a TD late in the 4th quarter during garbage time and otherwise just running out the clock most of the 2nd half. The previous week they had a lackluster performance against the West Branch Warriors (1-1) in which they had a number of Touchdowns and long plays called back due to holding and commited a large number of penalties as a whole. They did clean it up somewhat against Bellevue but still have some work to do. They also are looking for some kids to step up at the wide out postion to provide some targets for Lowry and make the team less run reliant than it has been the first two weeks of the season.
Will Poland be able to keep Broc Lowry and the rest of the Cardinals offense in check and possibly exploit Canfield's weakness-its inexperienced secondary to hit on some big plays? Or will Canfield just be too much for the Bulldogs to handle?

Please provide the series history.
Poland leads the overall series by a good margin. Canfield has won quite a few in a row...
That's the best I can do with pretty much no internet and without my computer...

Dogs have a puncher's chance in this one. They are still cleaning up some things but the pieces are there.

Last edited:
Poland made the classic improvements from game one to game two. A lot of first time starters should now have their feet under them. There’s always talent and tradition of hard working players at Poland and being a rivalry game, they aren’t going to pay any attention to who is supposed to win this game. That being said, I think the team that’s supposed to win will, but probably by 7 or 8 points. Canfield May get a late score to get a bigger margin if Poland wears down.
Canfield 21
Poland 13

Nobody makes people dislike Canfield more than this guy. Constantly making excuses and adding passive aggressive sassy comments about the “true” events of a Canfield game. Garbage time, the refs, won but played terrible. So many great people from that town and this clown just ruins it.

Canfield wins this.... Barely. Canfield isnt what they have been this year. Pretty overrated. Wake up call against chaney will open eyes

Series information:

The schools played at lease once during the 1920s, but I have no records of the results. The Vindicator rarely published athletic results from the "County" schools at that time. Poland stopped playing football sometime in the late 1920's or early 1930's. They started six man football in 1939 and began playing 11 man football in 1943. All series information dates from 1943 forward

All-time record: Poland 40 wins, Canfield 33 wins, One tie.

Canfield has won the last five meetings in a row (2015-2018, 2021)

Poland had won the prior five meetings (2010-2014)

The longest winning streak in the series is Canfield winning seven in a row from 1986 through 1992.

Poland's longest winning streak was 6 in a row from 1952-57. Poland went undefeated for 9 years in the series, going 8-0-1 from 1977 through 1985. The tie was a 0-0 game on Halloween Night 1980 - Poland's quarterback that night was current Canfield coach Mike Pavlansky. Mike was 2-0-1 vs Canfield as a player and is 11-8 vs Poland as Canfield's coach.

Poland has the most points scored in a game in the series, winning 44-20 in 1960. Canfield's high point total was 39 in 1976 (39-7)

Largest margin of victory was 38-0 by Canfield in 2017.

These schools were among the last in the Mahoning Valley to install lights for football - Canfield in the mid 1970's, Poland in 1986

The game by game history can be found at

Click on Poland and there is a separate tab for Canfield that has each game

Canfield won 7-0 in 1923
Canfield won 18-7 in 1925
Canfield won 63-0 in 1926
Canfield won 14-0 an unknown year in the 1920's-1930's
Canfield won 5-0 an unknown year in the 1920's-1930's
Canfield won 2-0 an unknown year in the 1920's-1930's
Canfield tied 0-0 an unknown year in the 1920's-1930's

That puts the all time overall series at 40-39-2
Not sure if there are anymore years they played in the 20's and/or 30's

The overall class sizes of Canfield vs. Poland continue to make this less and less competitive as it once was. Add into that the talent of #12 from Canfield and I don’t see Poland being able to keep up especially if they are in a re-building year. Hoping I am wrong, but reality is what it is.

The overall class sizes of Canfield vs. Poland continue to make this less and less competitive as it once was. Add into that the talent of #12 from Canfield and I don’t see Poland being able to keep up especially if they are in a re-building year. Hoping I am wrong, but reality is what it is.
Eh I really wouldn't count Poland out here.

The 5th Season is right. The enrollment figures really tell the story here. 314 boys at Canfield vs. 216 boys at Poland. That is a
big differential. Sadly the gap keeps widening. Not sure how much longer we will be able to treat it as a true rivalry. That said, Poland usually finds a way to keep it close. #12 is a lot for any experienced team to deal with. Not sure how a team of first time starters can contain him but we'll see.

Poland improved a ton from week 1 to week 2, but 12 is special I think he will be the deciding factor. Poland needs to attack the young secondary, and load up to stop 12

Yeah, Poland's D will need to play with their hair on fire to not get embarrassed IMO. I don't think Canfield is all that, I just have a feeling that the coaching advantage goes to Canfield, as well as the talent advantage at most spots on the field. Hopefully it looks like a rivalry game and not a squash match, come Friday night.

Yeah, Poland's D will need to play with their hair on fire to not get embarrassed IMO. I don't think Canfield is all that, I just have a feeling that the coaching advantage goes to Canfield, as well as the talent advantage at most spots on the field. Hopefully it looks like a rivalry game and not a squash match, come Friday night.
I think Canfield's secondary is very inexperienced but will continue to improve as the season progresses just like Poland has already improved from their week 1 defeat to Chaney. I don't think Canfield is that good right now, but I think they have a chance to improve their secondary and passing game and other weaknesses enough to be a legitimate title contender. Granted they will have to get through Chardon, Ursuline, Chaney et al... On the other hand it is also a possibility that Canfield doesn't improve their secondary enough by the end of the season, but only time will tell.

Absolutely underrated. Ursuline seems loaded this year.
The x factor for Canfield is Broc Lowry, I think Ursuline is better than Canfield all around this year, and Chardon definitely is as well as possibly Chaney, but I think it is entirely possible that Canfield could go all the way solely based off of truly exceptional QB play.

The x factor for Canfield is Broc Lowry, I think Ursuline is better than Canfield all around this year, and Chardon definitely is as well as possibly Chaney, but I think it is entirely possible that Canfield could go all the way solely based off of truly exceptional QB play.
All the way as in, win a state championship?

Yes it is possible but not very likely as the supporting cast is probably not going to be good enough. I think the most likely scenario is they lose to Chardon or Ursuline in the playoffs.
Girard knocked on the door riding a superior QB. But they ran into a better QB with a better supporting cast. But region 9 and D3 is a different animal.

The 5th Season is right. The enrollment figures really tell the story here. 314 boys at Canfield vs. 216 boys at Poland. That is a
big differential. Sadly the gap keeps widening. Not sure how much longer we will be able to treat it as a true rivalry. That said, Poland usually finds a way to keep it close. #12 is a lot for any experienced team to deal with. Not sure how a team of first time starters can contain him but we'll see.
The last one score game 7 seasons ago. I believe the gap will only get wider.