Week 3: Minerva (1-1) @ Tuslaw (1-1)

Maverick0425

Last week was a pretty good indication of where Minerva is at this point in the season. STA was very disciplined and well coached and really took it to the Lions. It seems that Minerva still isn't putting it together, especially on offensive side of ball-misreads, drops, sloppy play, you name it-but the talent is there. I do think that at some point the Lions will start to 'get it' and will put together a good game. Hopefully last week was a wake up call as I really don't see last week's result as being a result of disparity in talent between the two teams.

On to Tuslaw, all the talk seems to be that Tuslaw is down. This is the final year of the series between these two schools as Minerva has chosen to go in a different direction.

Any thoughts on this game?

I think that STA is a very good team this year. Minerva made alot of mistakes and 2 early turnovers that could of changed the course of the game. However I think the coaches need to reavaluate the offensive scheme a bit. Open the run game and the pass will come, give Riley confidence that we can drive the ball and the rest will come. Having said that this is a young team that is used to winning....I think that maybe the Lions needed a wake up call that last 2 seasons were earned not expected. I say the players and coaches regroup this week and put it to Tulaw hard.

I have to go with Minerva in this one. Tuslaw is very young this year and I think Minerva will improve upon their sloppy play last week.

Minerva should probably win this one. Hopefully Tuslaw can just continue to improve for when league play starts in week 4.

I think that STA is a very good team this year. Minerva made alot of mistakes and 2 early turnovers that could of changed the course of the game. However I think the coaches need to reavaluate the offensive scheme a bit. Open the run game and the pass will come, give Riley confidence that we can drive the ball and the rest will come. Having said that this is a young team that is used to winning....I think that maybe the Lions needed a wake up call that last 2 seasons were earned not expected. I say the players and coaches regroup this week and put it to Tulaw hard.

This hits the nail right on the head. It's good to have high expectations but successful seasons are a result of years of hard work, sacrifice, discipline and listening to coaching. Nothing is given, especially in the NBC. I still think this team is more than capable of playing good football. Maybe last week will serve as a wake-up call.

Tuslaw pulls off the upset 27-20. Both teams turned the ball over a lot, but Minerva waited until late in the 4th quarter to commit all 3 of theirs. Tuslaw played extremely hard the entire night and made enough plays to win. The Mustangs offense deserves a great deal of credit for the win, but overall I was not impressed with Minerva's defense. To me it seemed like Tuslaw had a harder time moving the ball vs Dalton last week than they did this week vs Minerva.

The young lions biggest obstacle at this point is discouragement. They still have many goals left for the season, including the NBC run. They are young and are experiencing the learning curve of varsity football. I counted 5-6 sophomores starting!! Our turnovers could not have come at worst times. There were positives. Parrish apparently broke the single game receiving record and Riley thew for over 300 yards. We knew he could run but now is starting to connect with his receivers. 2-3 more playmakers emerged in Hartshorn, Parrish and Shaffner. Teams will now have difficulty loading the box on us. Nign was a beast on defense at linebacker and the secondary had 3 picks. Our line was mauled by the mustangs, which may be the most difficult thing to shore up. We also need some work on special teams. The real fighting begins this week. Hopefully our coaches see our lions' play as their problems to fix and take care of business.

I did. There young an don't have the attitude the guys the last few yrs had. looks like they found somebody to make plays with Parrish. It will come together I hope.But if it dont. only wins left on the schedule may be alliance and Salem.

Minerva was clearly the better team in this game. I saw the Lions leave at least 2 TDs on field beginning with a phantom holding call on the first drive that erased a TD. Tuslaw also had a 93 yd kickoff return before HT that allowed them to tie the score 13-13 at intermission. In the 4th qtr the Lions had 3 consecutive turnovers. This is a bad loss for Minerva and I hope Tuslaw enjoys their win. The good thing is that Minerva isn't this bad. Geeze

I'd also like to add that none of Minerva's turnovers were forced by Tuslaw. What I saw was a Minerva team continually shooting themselves in the foot the entire game. Minerva's defense is extremely young just as Liontown said. I see some inconsistent line and LB play as well. The good thing is there is still a lot of learning to do.

Honestly, and I am not just peddling hope here, but this team's season will surprise. There have been many positives hidden by the last two games. Other than a couple players, they are all sophomores, juniors and seniors with NO varsity experience prior to this year. The first three games have been about experience and working through the learning curve. They have gained much in these losses. The coaches are making realizations and adjustments. This season is not over by a long shot and I am convinced that the young lions will surprise starting this week. Go lions!!!!

Minerva was clearly the better team in this game. I saw the Lions leave at least 2 TDs on field beginning with a phantom holding call on the first drive that erased a TD. Tuslaw also had a 93 yd kickoff return before HT that allowed them to tie the score 13-13 at intermission. In the 4th qtr the Lions had 3 consecutive turnovers. This is a bad loss for Minerva and I hope Tuslaw enjoys their win. The good thing is that Minerva isn't this bad. Geeze

In sports when the game is over the Team with the most points win, therefore the winner is the better team that nite. :thumb:

In sports when the game is over the Team with the most points win, therefore the winner is the better team that nite. :thumb:

Good point Slammer, and I'm really not sure any of the posters on here could disagree with you. We're just evaluating this Minerva team, and no insult was intended to the Tuslaw contingent. My hat goes off to Tuslaw on the win and I wish your team and community a successful campaign.