Week 3: Elder vs. Clearwater Academy International(Florida)

Some ideas for Pboy so he can watch the boys in person.

2011-08-23-valentine.jpg

81okuFkAFyL._SX425_.jpg

How about this:

Blank slate for everyone.

No more grudges, no more endless complaining about the same things. Just objective posting, with no intended harm. No ridicule of opinions (disagreement is fine). Respectful banter moving forward. I'm in.

Let's enjoy this season. It could be very special and something we'd be fortunate to witness. Deal?
I'll admit, coming from you this made me laugh out loud.

In '08, Aquinas had WR Duron Carter and a bunch (I presume) of other D-I commits. Clearwater has WR Ajou Ajou and a bunch of D-I commits. Aquinas brought a fair number of guys (50-60?) while Clearwater will bring 30. It will be hot and humid Friday night, but Clearwater hails from the land of heat and humidity.
Will the travel and Elder's depth be the difference? Or will Ajou, who has high jumped 6'6", have a big night against the Elder secondary and be the difference in the game?

For what it's worth, I found this post on a Florida high school site, where last January they were listing out of state games for Florida teams:

"Clearwater Academy vs Elder,OH
Clearwater Academy vs McCallie,TN
Clearwater Academy vs Cornerstone,TX

WTF? Elder is usually legit. This is going to be an embarrassment. I'm not sure about the other two teams. Clearwater is a low rent wanna be IMG. This is not the direction HS sports needs to be taking."

Just one poster's opinion, of course, but he would pick the Panthers Friday night.

In '08, Aquinas had WR Duron Carter and a bunch (I presume) of other D-I commits. Clearwater has WR Ajou Ajou and a bunch of D-I commits. Aquinas brought a fair number of guys (50-60?) while Clearwater will bring 30. It will be hot and humid Friday night, but Clearwater hails from the land of heat and humidity.
Will the travel and Elder's depth be the difference? Or will Ajou, who has high jumped 6'6", have a big night against the Elder secondary and be the difference in the game?

For what it's worth, I found this post on a Florida high school site, where last January they were listing out of state games for Florida teams:

"Clearwater Academy vs Elder,OH
Clearwater Academy vs McCallie,TN
Clearwater Academy vs Cornerstone,TX

WTF? Elder is usually legit. This is going to be an embarrassment. I'm not sure about the other two teams. Clearwater is a low rent wanna be IMG. This is not the direction HS sports needs to be taking."

Just one poster's opinion, of course, but he would pick the Panthers Friday night.

I’d like to know how many of those D1 recruits transferred in since last year. I don’t like the direction HS sports is heading, but I’d say the Mater Dei, St John Boscos, and Gormans of the world are worse bc they hide behind the facade of being normal HS teams. At least IMG and CA are upfront about being Football Factories.

Elder is going to have the better team overall. That may not equate to a win, but I think most would agree with that.

Sometimes athleticism just wins out, but I don't think that will happen on Friday. We're likely a brand of football they haven't seen before. I know we say that often with out of state schools, but with the way this team is constructed, and their short tenure as a powerhouse, I feel pretty good about our chances.

Regardless, it should be fun to watch.

I estimate a crowd of 7,895 - mostly Elder fans. Advantage - Elder

On a positive note, it is supposed to be very hot on Friday. Not good for a team that plays guys both ways and only has 30 players. Advantage - Elder!

We sell tasty brats. Advantage - Elder!

How can we lose?

Advantage Elder because it will be hot Friday, seriously? CA been training, practicing and playing in the heat and humidity everyday for how long? As far as Pboy, he not a bad person (hunch) but do the crime, do the time! If he was banned for longer than rest of last yr and did not threaten anybody or anything like that than that’s bs. Everyone deserves a second chance within reason in my opinion.

You have to admit, it's a little odd for us old guys (comparatively) to be on here talking about high school kids. I mean, it has to make you feel a little uneasy about yourself, right? I know it does me. A tad.

If I ever met pboy in person, I'd buy him a beer. Relax.

Who are you calling an old guy, I've been 21 for 21 years and counting now. lol
In my personal opinion I don't find anything odd or feel uneasy about talking or posting about High School football players. That being said I talk and post within a certain manner that I think High School kids and coaches deserve. I try to always be positive and encouraging when talking about student athletes simply because they are 15-18 year olds that are still learning. They will make mistakes and they will make great plays, but the important thing is they have great men in their lives not just teaching them football but also life. I don't harp on coaches either.. Honestly they have a tough job, the easy part is teaching techniques x's and o's. The hard part is teaching about life, how to be responsible young men with integrity, and learning when you fall to pick yourself back up.

I’d like to know how many of those D1 recruits transferred in since last year. I don’t like the direction HS sports is heading, but I’d say the Mater Dei, St John Boscos, and Gormans of the world are worse bc they hide behind the facade of being normal HS teams. At least IMG and CA are upfront about being Football Factories.

The football factories are few and far between. In all honesty there are not that many of them, there are far more in basketball and they have been around for decades.

The direction I don't like about High School sports are the specializing in 1 sport only. I think playing multiple sports helps develop athletes into a more versatile style of athleticism. There are aspects to baseball and basketball that help further football abilities. It's a shame we don't have a modern day Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders that play 2 sports as a professional to show athletes today they loved both sports. That's just this young old guys opinion.

Advantage Elder because it will be hot Friday, seriously? CA been training, practicing and playing in the heat and humidity everyday for how long? As far as Pboy, he not a bad person (hunch) but do the crime, do the time! If he was banned for longer than rest of last yr and did not threaten anybody or anything like that than that’s bs. Everyone deserves a second chance within reason in my opinion.
Free pboy?

Jeez - cut the guy some slack. So much for redemption.

This is for entertainment - this stuff shouldn't be that important to anyone. It's just all of us goofball's opinions. It means nothing.

You have to admit, it's a little odd for us old guys (comparatively) to be on here talking about high school kids. I mean, it has to make you feel a little uneasy about yourself, right? I know it does me. A tad.

If I ever met pboy in person, I'd buy him a beer. Relax.
This heel turn you're trying to do in to some goofy, laid back guy is weirder than anything you just mentioned. And who are you calling old? I've got a few years before I'm even 30

The football factories are few and far between. In all honesty there are not that many of them, there are far more in basketball and they have been around for decades.

The direction I don't like about High School sports are the specializing in 1 sport only. I think playing multiple sports helps develop athletes into a more versatile style of athleticism. There are aspects to baseball and basketball that help further football abilities. It's a shame we don't have a modern day Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders that play 2 sports as a professional to show athletes today they loved both sports. That's just this young old guys opinion.

I understand why kids are focusing on one sport, but I also wouldn’t chastise a kid for playing multiple sport.

I’m concerned, bc I don’t want the GCL to end up like the Trinity League. Mater Dei and Bosco are getting National recognition, but their practices are disgraceful. Even De LaSalle cannot compete with these teams. The posters who think Elder should have this “anywhere, anytime” mentality don’t understand how difft HS Football is at the very top level.

Last edited:
After watching more of the CA game from last week they kind of remind me of Football North last year with a little more speed and size. If Elder's D steps it up this week and doesn't allow the big plays/quick scores to happen I think this is a very winnable game for Elder. Control the TOP on offense to limit the CA offense from being on the field. May have to have Royer and some of the O-line guys play a little defense to slow them down. It was concerning last week Cathedral was able to get 5-7 yard running right up the middle most of the time.

Coach Ramsey on the wcpo Dyer podcast again yesterday. Thought it was interesting that he said CA is extremely talented but they keep the things they do on both sides of the ball fairly basic. Saw on the LaSalle forum that the team from Mass. is flying to Cincinnati, about 65 players. Anyone know if CA is flying in or taking a bus?

Coach Ramsey on the wcpo Dyer podcast again yesterday. Thought it was interesting that he said CA is extremely talented but they keep the things they do on both sides of the ball fairly basic. Saw on the LaSalle forum that the team from Mass. is flying to Cincinnati, about 65 players. Anyone know if CA is flying in or taking a bus?

Not sure, but I heard they arriving in Cincinnati today as opposed to tomorrow. International School of Broward took a bus same day to Elder and took a bus home right after the game. That is nuts.

I listened to that as well. Sounds like they run as simple of an Offense as possible for the HS Level, Inside/Outside Zone, and Play Action.

I listened to that as well. Sounds like they run as simple of an Offense as possible for the HS Level, Inside/Outside Zone, and Play Action.

CA D was pretty basic and only saw a few Blitzes. Course he also mentioned don’t have to get to fancy on D scoring 50+ Points a game.

And yet you know all the inner gossip on Mom drama that happens during games.

I go every now and then. Maybe once a year. But most games I follow online either through radio or video.

I also used to go to every game up until about 5 years ago. I stopped going when I realized that things were amiss and there didn't seem to much desire to change anything. So I stopped my support.

I had been a pretty strong supporter of Elder before that (at games and with periodic donations - nothing huge, but consistent). I latched on to Elder through friends and really thought it was a cool collection of people about 15 years ago. But the past decade I've seen a lack of change and things not seeming right that I'm not on board with.

People are still great, but very stuck in their ways and unwilling to adapt.

I go every now and then. Maybe once a year. But most games I follow online either through radio or video.

I also used to go to every game up until about 5 years ago. I stopped going when I realized that things were amiss and there didn't seem to much desire to change anything. So I stopped my support.

No one believes this. You know so much about the tailgating and fan behavior at games yet you've been to 5 games in 5 years? Just admit you go to most home games.

No one believes this. You know so much about the tailgating and fan behavior at games yet you've been to 5 games in 5 years? Just admit you go to most home games.

I don't care what you all believe. It's obvious no one gives my opinions any credence anyway. I don't even live that close to Elder.

I can't help that a group of people can't see things that are right in front of them.

I have friends at Elder that I'm with all the time. It's not like these opinions are coming from left field.

CA D was pretty basic and only saw a few Blitzes. Course he also mentioned don’t have to get to fancy on D scoring 50+ Points a game.
I wonder how good their QB is at recognizing Blitzes or reading cvg. TBH, it really doesn’t matter what cvg you’re going against if you’ve got Ajou Ajou, but Elder needs to get creative in their Defensive looks. Do everything possible to get this QB out of his comfort zone. Force the CA staff to make adjustments, which is something they probably have had to do.

Last edited: