Week 3 - Elder at Gahanna Lincoln

Pantherontheporch

This is what I’ve been able to find out about the Lions from the local Gahanna community fishwrap and some digging on my own. The Lions were not ranked locally preseason. They are 2-0, having won on the road against Westerville Central (24-3) and Westerville South (34-0). The Lion offense is led by junior quarterback Mike Lowery, senior wide receivers David Miller (also the backup qb) and Jerome Buckner, and junior running back Justus Harris. Buckner has great speed: he was part of the Lion 4x400 relay team that won the D-I title last spring and the 4x100 relay team that placed second. He has football offers from Kent State, Ohio U., and seven others.
Through two games, Lowery is 24-48 for 148 yards and two tds, while Miller is 2-7 for 62 yards. Buckner has 15 catches for 97 yards and one td, while Miller has seven catches for 45 yards and one td. Harris has 47 carries for 323 yards (6.87) and four tds. Freshman running back Sirron Smith has 12 carries for 78 yards. Coming into the season, the O-line was a question mark; so far it appears that perhaps they’re better at run-blocking than pass-blocking.
The Lion defense held South to 79 total yards. It is led by junior defensive end Karter Johnson and junior cornerback LaCarr Trent. Johnson has a football scholly offer from the University of Kentucky. Trent has the speed to keep up with just about any receiver, as he, like Buckner, can fly: he ran a 10.73 in the 100 meters at the D-I state meet last spring, good enough for second place. Trent leads their defense with 12 solo tackles and 2 assists.
It will be interesting to see how the Panthers play in their first road game of the year. If the weather is decent Friday night, I suspect the Lions will have a pretty good crowd on their side of the field; hopefully more than a few of the Panther faithful will make the easy drive up I-71.

This is what I’ve been able to find out about the Lions from the local Gahanna community fishwrap and some digging on my own. The Lions were not ranked locally preseason. They are 2-0, having won on the road against Westerville Central (24-3) and Westerville South (34-0). The Lion offense is led by junior quarterback Mike Lowery, senior wide receivers David Miller (also the backup qb) and Jerome Buckner, and junior running back Justus Harris. Buckner has great speed: he was part of the Lion 4x400 relay team that won the D-I title last spring and the 4x100 relay team that placed second. He has football offers from Kent State, Ohio U., and seven others.
Through two games, Lowery is 24-48 for 148 yards and two tds, while Miller is 2-7 for 62 yards. Buckner has 15 catches for 97 yards and one td, while Miller has seven catches for 45 yards and one td. Harris has 47 carries for 323 yards (6.87) and four tds. Freshman running back Sirron Smith has 12 carries for 78 yards. Coming into the season, the O-line was a question mark; so far it appears that perhaps they’re better at run-blocking than pass-blocking.
The Lion defense held South to 79 total yards. It is led by junior defensive end Karter Johnson and junior cornerback LaCarr Trent. Johnson has a football scholly offer from the University of Kentucky. Trent has the speed to keep up with just about any receiver, as he, like Buckner, can fly: he ran a 10.73 in the 100 meters at the D-I state meet last spring, good enough for second place. Trent leads their defense with 12 solo tackles and 2 assists.
It will be interesting to see how the Panthers play in their first road game of the year. If the weather is decent Friday night, I suspect the Lions will have a pretty good crowd on their side of the field; hopefully more than a few of the Panther faithful will make the easy drive up I-71.

How big are they on the Lines? IMO, Elder's OL has played very well in Scrimmages and the first two games. They've opened up some big holes, especially in the interior.

OH sucks. There's nothing to take away from this game, except Elder did what they were expected to do. However, it's good to see Bittner throwing the ball from the Wildcat. I'm certain there's a nice DBL pass/trick play tucked away that Ramsey's waiting to throw out.

I want to see Elder start to take more shots down field. The WRs are solid, but they're not going to get the large amounts of YAC in games against competent opponents.

How big are they on the Lines? IMO, Elder's OL has played very well in Scrimmages and the first two games. They've opened up some big holes, especially in the interior.

Going into game one, the O-line starters were expected to be Damion Harris (6-2, 255), Mason Helsel (6-3, 240), Riley Lutsko (6-0, 260), David Huguely (5-8, 275), and A’che Sanchez-Baccus (6-3, 270).
The three D-line starters were expected to be Karter Johnson (6-3, 275), Huguely, and Jonathan Harrington (6-2, 210). Johnson also plays a bit at tight end. I don't know if Huguely in fact has played both ways the first two games, and, if so, how much.

I did some searching too, and this is all I found. The word in this that scares me is SPEED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7eDZvm82s

The speed worries me as well. However, it would worry me much more if the speed was at WR. This team reminds me of West. A lot of speed on Defense and in the backfield. However, they have to be better coached. I expect this to be really tight throughout. Elder will need a mistake free game from Nieman if they want to come away with a big road win.

Some chatter on the main football board for this game. Looks like Gahanna is the favorite, Pasteur's site has GL -3. First long bus ride for Elder after not having many last year (and none this year yet), wonder how the team will respond. This game looking a lot tougher than many expected.

Right now, weather looks perfect for Friday. One thing that is being overlooked is the kicking game. Ammon's kickoffs were getting longer each successive Kickoff v OH. However, it might be best to squib it away from Lincoln's Returners. Don't give those guys any more chances to beat you.

The PATs need to get much better. They've missed 2 already bc of a bad snap and missed blocking assignment. In close games, it will bite them in the , just like the Mason game.

At some point, they're going to have to get comfortable kicking FGs b/w 20 and 30 yards.

Some chatter on the main football board for this game. Looks like Gahanna is the favorite, Pasteur's site has GL -3. First long bus ride for Elder after not having many last year (and none this year yet), wonder how the team will respond. This game looking a lot tougher than many expected.

I think the team/staff knows this will be a tough game. Ramsey all but said it was a red flag when they reached out to Elder for a game.

Over on the main board they said they had 2 good receivers. They must think they're going to exploit Elder through the air all night

Over on the main board they said they had 2 good receivers. They must think they're going to exploit Elder through the air all night

Outside of O'Brien, the Secondary does concern me. However, I'll give credit to the staff for mixing up coverages. They've even played some press coverage, which I haven't seen before.

BTW, what's the rule for contact with a WR at the HS level? Is it like the NFL, where basically anything goes within 5 yds of the LOS?

Didn`t X scrimmage this team?

If the front 7 can control the LOS, Elder should be fine. Nothing will disrupt an ariel attack like heavy pressure and hits on the QB.

Should be a lot of fun, wish I could make the trip.

BTW, what's the rule for contact with a WR at the HS level? Is it like the NFL, where basically anything goes within 5 yds of the LOS?

There is no 5-yard contact rule in High School. Just like college, a DB can make contact with the WR until the ball is in the air. Can't make contact near the face/facemask and can't hold, but can bump and make contact until the ball is in the air. The 5-yard illegal contact rule is strictly an NFL rule.

They've got a nice stadium up here. Only issue is the sun is right in your eyes if you're on the Visitor side.

Last edited:
What the heck, here are updates anyway.
Elder won the toss and deferred. They will be kicking off to the Lions from right to left on the screen of your desktop, smart phone, or other mobile device.

E ball 1-10 E 31
run 2-3
E 1-10 E 38
run, G penalty, 2-6
pass inc, G p.i., E 1-10 G 37
E pen, 1-15
pass com, 2-11
pass inc 3-11
pass com, 4-6,
run, short

G 1-10 g 35
pass com 1-10 G 46