Week 3 Bishop Fenwick (1-1) @ Clinton Massie (1-1)

Riverman

Last week Fenwick get a win over Norwood and Massie loses a heartbreaker Avon Lake D2 . When was the last time Massie lost 2 games back to back. Thoughts??

Hear this game on WALHRadio.com. Kick-off at 7PM, with half time guest, Michael Coleman, Fenwick Athletic Director. Ryan Hosch will have the play-by-play, and Roger Barber will handle the color. You can pick up the broadcast on computer, smart phone, or tablet.

CM should be favored to win this game. There's no shame in losing to Avon Lake, they should go on to be a good DII playoff team. I think CM rebounds against Fenwick. I'll say:

Clinton Massie 35
Fenwick 14

Massie has not lost 2 games in a row since 2011. Had to look it up ! About the same time Massie started rolling.

I think Massie gets it going against Fenwick. They will not lose 2 in a row. Ground and pound all night, Fenwick will try and load the box, but Massie will move them. Massie's 6 yards avg last week against Avon Lake's very good defence. Massie will grind it out,and just wear down Fenwick's D.

Agree with Riverman.... Massie will run through and around Fenwick all night.

I am not concerned with our offense but the defense needs to step up.... Especially the line backing group. Between the 3 of them I believe they only recorded 1.5 tackles against Avon Lake. When is the last time this has happened since 2012?

Avon Lake also averaged over 6 yards a carry and this shows a weakness in the middle. We gave up 23 first downs 14 of them rushing. We let them convert 8-12 third down conversions. These are all things we must improve on as we move further into the season. Braxton Green #9 had a heck of a game last week. Let's hope the defense starts to feed off him and we see some improvement in the middle.

Massie by a bunch this Friday....

Most impressed with the DL .Noah Corbett #4 had 5 tackles, Braxton Green #9 4 tackles,2 sacks ,2 TFL. and the rest of the DL were doing all they could to stop the run. Linebackers looked liked they were in pass coverage more than run stop. Hope to see better gap coverage with Backers moving forward instead of waiting. Young and growing every week. Lamb has speed and can close quickly but plays off, You will see progress. Secondary play very well, Tate's Int could not have happen at a better time. CB,DB were under sized compared Avon Lake ,but tackled well, and coverage was tight. Tate did a great job running the O all night. Hope to see him run more, some type of a fake pass, run draw. needs to work on passing.

Last year Massie had a few key guys out with injuries when playing Fenwick and they kept it close. not this year. Massie Rolls.

Base enrollment for Clinton Massie is 252 boys, according to the OHSAA. Base enrollment for Fenwick is 205 boys, according to the OHSAA. Massie is division 4 Fenwick is division 3 with fewer boys.

Agree with Riverman.... Massie will run through and around Fenwick all night.

I am not concerned with our offense but the defense needs to step up.... Especially the line backing group. Between the 3 of them I believe they only recorded 1.5 tackles against Avon Lake. When is the last time this has happened since 2012?

Avon Lake also averaged over 6 yards a carry and this shows a weakness in the middle. We gave up 23 first downs 14 of them rushing. We let them convert 8-12 third down conversions. These are all things we must improve on as we move further into the season. Braxton Green #9 had a heck of a game last week. Let's hope the defense starts to feed off him and we see some improvement in the middle.

Massie by a bunch this Friday....
Linebackers do need to get better at shutting down the middle. They seemed to get better after the half for a series or two but they have to figure out a way to make a stop on that long drive Avon Lake had late in the 4th. Avon Lake, once they got inside the 50, simply strapped it up, put in a fullback, and ran it right at us. In that situation you simply have to make some plays. Of the two inside backers one had 1.5 tackles and the other had 6.5 tackles. G. Trampler being out hurt us on run defense as he is pretty good at run support and doesn't miss many tackles. That game helped them in many ways. Looking forward to see them get better this week.

Base enrollment for Clinton Massie is 252 boys, according to the OHSAA. Base enrollment for Fenwick is 205 boys, according to the OHSAA. Massie is division 4 Fenwick is division 3 with fewer boys.
and fenwick gets to recruit its student athletes from the greater Butler, Warren, Montgomery, Hamilton county areas like all the other catholic schools do to create their all star lineups. This has been going on for years. The OHSAA finally tried to address this by using the competitive balance figures. Not a perfect system but something needed to be done.

It’s this thing called competitive balance. Good for some schools, not so much for others

and fenwick gets to recruit its student athletes from the greater Butler, Warren, Montgomery, Hamilton county areas like all the other catholic schools do to create their all star lineups. This has been going on for years. The OHSAA finally tried to address this by using the competitive balance figures. Not a perfect system but something needed to be done.

Yeah Fenwick hand picks the talent. That's why they'll be 5-5 this year...

Fenwick has an All-Star lineup? ????

Fenwick sucks this year. They will get running clocked. Shame that Massie will play Fenwick but not Alter... Alter has tried the last several years to put them on the schedule after being bumped to DIII

Shame that Massie will play Fenwick but not Alter... Alter has tried the last several years to put them on the schedule after being bumped to DIII
Does McSurley have any say so about schedule, or is it strictly AD? I thought he was nearly fired a few years back for not filling out some administrative form. If he does get input, them maybe McSurley is using Domsitz mentality - who said I'll play DeSales but not Hartley and DeSales. Massie has Hartley this year. Maybe they don't want Hartley and Alter and Avon Lake all in the same season. Fenwick played them tough last season, so it seems like a good enough matchup without biting off more than you can chew. Little school full of country boys. They got three OOC games on their schedule already.

If Fenwick wins the lawsuit, they should ask to be lowered to D5. That's the sweet spot for them competitively. D6 would have them get crushed by Anna again in the playoffs. Or Minster. Or worse, Coldwater. If they even survived R24. D5 would get them the potential of a playoff against old time rival and similarly sized football recruiting powerhouse Purcell Marian.

If GCL schools “pick their all star lineups” how do they ever lose? Alter is the only school that’s consistently good the others are up and down like most every other school in the state.

If Fenwick wins the lawsuit, they should ask to be lowered to D5. That's the sweet spot for them competitively. D6 would have them get crushed by Anna again in the playoffs. Or Minster. Or worse, Coldwater. If they even survived R24. D5 would get them the potential of a playoff against old time rival and similarly sized football recruiting powerhouse Purcell Marian.
Fenwick made it to the Second round of the DIII playoffs last year and played Wapak tough. Fenwick also hasn't lost to Purcell in 13 years and it hasn't been within 21 points in the last 10 years. Fenwick also beat Anna by 20+ points last year. Other than that, good post.

Fenwick sucks this year. They will get running clocked. Shame that Massie will play Fenwick but not Alter... Alter has tried the last several years to put them on the schedule after being bumped to DIII
I call BS. Massie has not been contacted about playing Alter. Alter wouldn’t play Massie back when Alter was D4 R16 because coach Domsitz didn’t want to play them again in the playoffs (quote ) hard enough to beat them once even harder to beat them a second time Massie drives all over the state to play quality teams. Coldwater, Stuebenville, Hartley, Avon Lake driving to Dayton would be a blessing. Massie plays mostly D3 schools and may even up in D3 next CB cycle. Have your AD call Mrs Running at Clinton Massie I’m sure she will take his call. Always looking for week 2 next year?

I just don't see the fairness of it. Yes, Fenwick does draw from a wider net than the average public school. However, don't public schools have open enrollment? Why not let market forces drive decisions? Parents should have the right to sent their children to schools of their choice without the children being forced to compete at a more difficult level. Moreover, shouldn't the public (government-taxpayer funded schools) welcome more competition? The coaches and teachers are paid better in the public schools--shouldn't that translate into more winning for the public schools when it comes to the playoffs/tournaments? Maybe the answer is for the privates to break away from the OHSAA. I am sure that the public school establishment and their allies in the Democratic party would not miss the private schools. Thoughts?

Knight of non sense..... why in the world would the Massie coaches last year play Coldwater, Alter and Hartley and take a chance of possibly losing all 3 and not make the playoffs. Heck I love a tough schedule but that would be ludicrous on their part. Not sure how all this went down but I am sure they are glad they came away 2-1 out of the 3 last year. With the injuries we had it could have been 0-3 and no playoffs. Fenwick last year had one of those all-star senior classes from all over the surrounding city’s and fielded a nice team. Massies ooc schedule speaks for itself for a d4 school. Big Dan won’t back down and we have a hard time finding teams to plays us. With that said they have to be smart about the scheduling as we like to make the playoffs but also want to be prepared when we get in. Again, Massie in a blow out this Friday.

Pretty sure CM has kids from Lebanon and surely Wilmington probably more, they take full advantage of open enrollment, good for them but don’t bash the small GCL schools then.

Knight of non sense..... why in the world would the Massie coaches last year play Coldwater, Alter and Hartley and take a chance of possibly losing all 3 and not make the playoffs. Heck I love a tough schedule but that would be ludicrous on their part. Not sure how all this went down but I am sure they are glad they came away 2-1 out of the 3 last year. With the injuries we had it could have been 0-3 and no playoffs. Fenwick last year had one of those all-star senior classes from all over the surrounding city’s and fielded a nice team. Massies ooc schedule speaks for itself for a d4 school. Big Dan won’t back down and we have a hard time finding teams to plays us. With that said they have to be smart about the scheduling as we like to make the playoffs but also want to be prepared when we get in. Again, Massie in a blow out this Friday.

Fenwick hasn't had an all star senior class since their one year wonder in the past 25 years in 2015 lol. Not a Fenwick fan by any means but just saying.