Week 2: Minerva (1-0) vs St. Thomas (1-0)

Maverick0425

This should be a good game this week with major implications for both teams. I expect a good crowd & atmosphere down in the Lions Den. My thoughts on the game:

Minerva program looks to be back up and running. The Lions notched an easy win over Field last week and seem talented BUT very young in several positions.

STA program is coming off a nice season and apparently returns a very strong group of players. The Knights had a dominant win last week over Tuslaw during which the Mustangs didn't cross the 50 yard line until the second quarter.

Any thoughts on this game??

It would be an upset if St. Thomas could pull this one out on the road. I think this is the best STA team in years but they've had trouble with Minerva the last few years.

Should be a good game in what's become a good annual matchup in recent years. But until they show they can beat a good NBC team like Minerva, the Lions are the favorite this week. Minerva appears to be a program that just reloads from year to year.

I look for the STA to pull the upset. A little more experienced team than Minerva.

After what I seen Friday I disagree. Jake Riley can take over a game. With the system they have in place experience is not a problem. Haines an Albert o coaches put the kids in the right places to succeed.If you come to the game thinkin that they are your wrong. the defense has 7 starters back.

The last few years, this game has been a bare-knuckle fight. Last year, it came down to a 4th and 18 the lions were able to pull out. Mauer was out and Riley was thrown in at quarterback like someone learning how to swim by being thrown in the river.
This year, however, the lions will make it very clear to the knights. The lions win by two scores.

I have this game as a toss-up but give the slight edge to Minerva being at home. The last two years this has been a one score game, it will likely be similar this year.

The last few years, this game has been a bare-knuckle fight. Last year, it came down to a 4th and 18 the lions were able to pull out. Mauer was out and Riley was thrown in at quarterback like someone learning how to swim by being thrown in the river.
This year, however, the lions will make it very clear to the knights. The lions win by two scores.

Both Aquinas starting running backs were out in last years game and both are back this year. Last year was a great game. I don't remember if it was the 4th and 18 but Aquinas stopped Minerva on a fourth down but Minerva got a first and ten on a defensive holding that was no where near the ball or the play. Without that penalty Aquinas would have taken over and been able to run out the clock. Hoping for an equally good game this year.

Both Aquinas starting running backs were out in last years game and both are back this year. Last year was a great game. I don't remember if it was the 4th and 18 but Aquinas stopped Minerva on a fourth down but Minerva got a first and ten on a defensive holding that was no where near the ball or the play. Without that penalty Aquinas would have taken over and been able to run out the clock. Hoping for an equally good game this year.

No doubt that this will be a great game, STA is one of those teams that just plays well against the Lions. If this were at STA I think it could go either way, however at home for Minerva I say they take this one 28 14

I'd like to think that this is the year that St. Thomas wins this game, but Minerva seems to have a knack for pulling it out in the 4th quarter.

I'll give the slight nod to the Lions at home.

This will be the 6th year in a row these teams have matched up early in the season, and Minerva has won 4 in a row over the Knights, but the last few games have been close and could have gone either way.

2011 - Minerva 29-26
2010 - Minerva 23-16
2009 - Minerva 34-18
2008 - Minerva 21-0
2007 - Aquinas 32-27

From what I heard, it does not appear Minerva and STA are playing next season. Aquinas currently has 9 games on the schedule for 2013, with an open week in Week 2.

That kind of surprises me, I'd assumed this game could become a regular fixture on both teams' schedules. I'm not sure whether we'll continue playing Field either, something tells me the two schools may be going in different directions. I'm curious of who is in the works to fill that slot? It'd be nice to pick up a Dover, N Phila, or possibly another team from PTC or somewhere up north. I recall Minerva playing (and beating Copley) for four years in late 90s. I think when Field was scheduled they were expected to provide a compelling matchup but this hasn't materialized. Claymont has been on past Minerva schedules as well.

Last edited:
Should be a nice test for both teams.

Minerva has not lost a home game since 2009. I look for the Lions to make it thirteen in a row at home this week.

This will be the 6th year in a row these teams have matched up early in the season, and Minerva has won 4 in a row over the Knights, but the last few games have been close and could have gone either way.

2011 - Minerva 29-26
2010 - Minerva 23-16
2009 - Minerva 34-18
2008 - Minerva 21-0
2007 - Aquinas 32-27

From what I heard, it does not appear Minerva and STA are playing next season. Aquinas currently has 9 games on the schedule for 2013, with an open week in Week 2.

They have to renew this series. Also on the opposite side of the county Northwest and Central would be a similar series and should happen as well, two coaching legends head to head.

Minerva also needs to keep Field on it's schedule as long as it can. If Minerva is unable to keep Field, Aquinas or Tuslaw, I'd be looking at Manchester, Orrville, South Range, Crestview or Columbiana. How about your neighbors to the southwest? That would be a nice little rivalry, a nice gate and a lot of Harbins.

Id like to keep field an st Thomas an put northwest on the schedule. It would be a nice test before the NBC starts. I also wouldn't mind seeing Poland.I do know that they will put at least one tough game in there. I know when they added Tuslaw and field both were making playoff appearances.

They have to renew this series. Also on the opposite side of the county Northwest and Central would be a similar series and should happen as well, two coaching legends head to head.

Minerva also needs to keep Field on it's schedule as long as it can. If Minerva is unable to keep Field, Aquinas or Tuslaw, I'd be looking at Manchester, Orrville, South Range, Crestview or Columbiana. How about your neighbors to the southwest? That would be a nice little rivalry, a nice gate and a lot of Harbins.

NW and CCC tried to schedule each other for this season (can't remember if week 6 or 9 was the target) but couldn't make it work since both sides needed it to be a home game. They'll get everything lined up sooner or later unless NW is successful at finding a league before that time. If CCC and NW weren't already doing so before NW went independent, they have begun playing each other in nearly every other sport.

With St. Thomas' program back on winning soil, I see no good reason why Minerva should want to discontinue the series since there are plenty of Harbins to be had. I also see no reason why St. Thomas would want to discontinue the series since it's not like they haven't been competitive.

I presume you are talking about Malvern?? Interestingly, Malvern's program has a strong Minerva flavor. When Minerva was going through the coaching transition(s) following Molen's retirement many from Minerva's former staff made the short trip to Malvern and helped build that program into what it has become. Over the years several Minerva coaches & former players have peppered that staff.

A matchup between the Lions and Hornets is highly unlikely. The most obvious reason is the glaring enrollment disparity between the two schools. Also, it would be a no-win situation for Minerva regardless of outcome. I really see the two programs as being on entirely different levels, this is no disrespect to the fine program in Malvern.

Now, Manchester is a matchup I wouldn't mind seeing. Minerva and Manchester have very similar programs & communities from what I understand. A Minerva/Orrville series would be entertaining as well.

Last edited:
I would love to see Struthers play Minerva.

With Beaver Local leaving the AAC after this year and Field being a 2 year contract (2012 & 13) we would have 4 available dates after 2013.

I've been wanting to see this one for a long time. Hopefully it can happen.

With Beaver Local leaving the AAC after this year and Field being a 2 year contract (2012 & 13) we would have 4 available dates after 2013.

Aside from Minerva/Struthers being similar sized schools I can honestly tell you that I don't know much about Struthers' program. It does seem that you have been alternating between R9 & R11 as of late.

Who are your rivals? Is Hubbard a rival?
Any insights into your program history?
Community and facilities?

Struthersfan,

This matchup won't happen for many reasons and the game would not be competitive most years.

Aside from Minerva/Struthers being similar sized schools I can honestly tell you that I don't know much about Struthers' program. It does seem that you have been alternating between R9 & R11 as of late.

Who are your rivals? Is Hubbard a rival?
Any insights into your program history?
Community and facilities?

1) Struthers oldest and biggest rivals are the Red Devils from neighboring Campbell (Memorial). Struthers cannot compete with Hubbard, Poland, Canfield, etc. on a yearly basis. More competive with LaBrae, Beaver, Campbell and Girard.

2A) The Wildcats have an average football tradition, however they have had a few good teams in the past. The Ohio State University recruited a QB from there about 8-10 years ago, named Scott McMullen or something similar.

2B) The best Struthers team I've ever witnessed play was their 1981 basketball team that went undefeated in the regular season, was ranked number 1 in the state and were led by the Robbins twins.

3) Struthers is an old steel town on southeast boarder of Youngstown, very similar to Campbell, Girard and Niles.

I presume you are talking about Malvern?? Interestingly, Malvern's program has a strong Minerva flavor. When Minerva was going through the coaching transition(s) following Molen's retirement many from Minerva's former staff made the short trip to Malvern and helped build that program into what it has become. Over the years several Minerva coaches & former players have peppered that staff.

A matchup between the Lions and Hornets is highly unlikely. The most obvious reason is the glaring enrollment disparity between the two schools. Also, it would be a no-win situation for Minerva regardless of outcome. I really see the two programs as being on entirely different levels, this is no disrespect to the fine program in Malvern.

Now, Manchester is a matchup I wouldn't mind seeing. Minerva and Manchester have very similar programs & communities from what I understand. A Minerva/Orrville series would be entertaining as well.

Maverick,

I agree the matchup is highly unlikely, however why not?
Here's why the two should play:

1) Both teams have weeks 1-3 open every year, however recently both teams have chosen to open up with United. Both have beaten DIV/DV United by similar scores as well.

2) Both teams have nice traditions and produce winning teams most years, the winner gets a lot of Harbin points.

3) The teams already play basketball against each other and Malvern does more than hold their own I might add.

4) The schools are within ten miles and the districts border each other. Both communities would pack the stadiums.

5) Minerva's larger enrollment is not that big of an advantage to them. They have played Lisbon, United, Aquinas and Tuslaw recently, why not the Hornets?

http://fridaynightohio.com/team/Malvern+Hornets

http://fridaynightohio.com/team/Minerva+Lions

1) Struthers oldest and biggest rivals are the Red Devils from neighboring Campbell (Memorial). Struthers cannot compete with Hubbard, Poland, Canfield, etc. on a yearly basis. More competive with LaBrae, Beaver, Campbell and Girard.

2A) The Wildcats have an average football tradition, however they have had a few good teams in the past. The Ohio State University recruited a QB from there about 8-10 years ago, named Scott McMullen or something similar.

2B) The best Struthers team I've ever witnessed play was their 1981 basketball team that went undefeated in the regular season, was ranked number 1 in the state and were led by the Robbins twins.

3) Struthers is an old steel town on southeast boarder of Youngstown, very similar to Campbell, Girard and Niles.

Rick McFadden was the QB you're thinking of. He was a good basketball player as well and led Struthers to a regional final or possibly even the state semis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think McFadden went to OSU for football but eventually ended up at Akron. That was closer to 15 years ago.

Scott McMullen was from Granville HS. He was a backup QB at OSU around '99 to '03.

Maverick,

I agree the matchup is highly unlikely, however why not?
Here's why the two should play:

1) Both teams have weeks 1-3 open every year, however recently both teams have chosen to open up with United. Both have beaten DIV/DV United by similar scores as well.

2) Both teams have nice traditions and produce winning teams most years, the winner gets a lot of Harbin points.

3) The teams already play basketball against each other and Malvern does more than hold their own I might add.

4) The schools are within ten miles and the districts border each other. Both communities would pack the stadiums.

5) Minerva's larger enrollment is not that big of an advantage to them. They have played Lisbon, United, Aquinas and Tuslaw recently, why not the Hornets?

http://fridaynightohio.com/team/Malvern+Hornets

http://fridaynightohio.com/team/Minerva+Lions

Nightmare:

The reason is this, think of the scenario like this:
Minerva wins and the excuse is "Minerva is a bigger school and should win this game." Malvern wins (albeit this would be rare if a series did occur) and people will never hear the end of it. It's all Malvern's gain, nothing to gain on Minerva's end IMO.

Now I'll try to address each of your points:

1. When Minerva scheduled United, the program was at it's lowest point since the 1950s. Combine that with the always tough NBC and Minerva made a logical choice in scheduling them. I wouldn't get caught up comparing scores (Malvern vs United and Minerva vs United) because that can sometimes get you into trouble.

2. Malvern's tradition only goes back a decade and is nowhere comparable to the tradition and success Minerva has had over many, many years. There are plenty of Harbins to be had from OTHER teams. I don't deem it necessary to play Malvern to acquire them.

3. I think basketball is a different sport altogether and it's easier for smaller schools to compete against larger schools. You only need 5 players on the court as opposed to 11. It's also not as physical of a game and IMO Malvern would be physically manhandled in most position groups during most years they would play.

3. I'll give you Minerva currently plays STA, but STA is a parochial school who plays "up" so to speak. Northwest, Alliance, Marlington all play them as well.

4. The schools are actually only about 5 miles from each other. Minerva draws good crowds, it's not necessary to schedule Malvern to make money at the gate.

5. This is to reiterate what I said in #1, when Minerva scheduled United and Lisbon the program was down. Tuslaw is D4 and, when the game was scheduled, a perennial playoff team. Tuslaw/Minerva brought a good gate last year too.

When the divisions realign, Malvern will be D7, Minerva D4. I'm of the opinion that there is absolutely NO justification for a school playing an opponent 3 divisions below them. I also think this is sketchy when we're talking about parochials, look at what happened to Mooney last week? I just really don't think Minerva has anything to gain by scheduling them, and I know that most people in the Minerva community would agree. The two schools scrimmaged in the early 2000s and I remember being vehemently against it. This is no disrespect to Malvern either, they have developed a nice program BUT they are simply not on the same level as Minerva. I have seen both teams play over the years and can tell you almost unequivocally that Minerva would annihilate the Hornets most years.

Nightmare, why don't you ask the Louisville posters why they don't play STA? I'm sure you'd get some interesting responses....

Struthersfan,

This matchup won't happen for many reasons and the game would not be competitive most years.

Agreed. We haven't had much since the '99, 9-1 season and first round win against Campbell.

What I believe has kept us from winning consistently is the coaching. We haven't had "jack" since the departure of Zetts. However, I am somewhat optimistic with this latest hire, Coach Kuntz.

I am a fan from CA that makes it back each year for a game or two. I've followed them since the Zetts years. Struthers is very similar to Minerva in size and fan support. Although basketball has been very good lately, it's still a football town.

Our next three weeks will tell what our fortunes will be this year. (At Lakeview, At Field and Brookfield At Home) Lakeview is usually very good, Field is decent, and Brookfield is loaded this year.

I'll be back for the Field & Brookfield games. How this season pans out will tell if our town gets back to the football-rich tradition of the past or if it's business as usual. Struthers fans deserve much more than we've seen these 12 years. It's been very painful.

Good luck to the Lions. I hope you have a very successful season.

:cool:

Rick McFadden was the QB you're thinking of. He was a good basketball player as well and led Struthers to a regional final or possibly even the state semis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think McFadden went to OSU for football but eventually ended up at Akron. That was closer to 15 years ago.

Scott McMullen was from Granville HS. He was a backup QB at OSU around '99 to '03.

Thank you Mr. Slippery. McMullen, McFadden, McMuffin, my mcmemory is not as sharp as it once was.

Correct about McFadden going to OSU, then transferring to Akron. Can't remember how well he did there.
Struthers made it to the regional final that year, losing to eventual runner-up Benedictine 61-53. They had a very nice run that year.

Nightmare:

The reason is this, think of the scenario like this:
Minerva wins and the excuse is "Minerva is a bigger school and should win this game." Malvern wins (albeit this would be rare if a series did occur) and people will never hear the end of it. It's all Malvern's gain, nothing to gain on Minerva's end IMO.

Now I'll try to address each of your points:

1. When Minerva scheduled United, the program was at it's lowest point since the 1950s. Combine that with the always tough NBC and Minerva made a logical choice in scheduling them. I wouldn't get caught up comparing scores (Malvern vs United and Minerva vs United) because that can sometimes get you into trouble.

2. Malvern's tradition only goes back a decade and is nowhere comparable to the tradition and success Minerva has had over many, many years. There are plenty of Harbins to be had from OTHER teams. I don't deem it necessary to play Malvern to acquire them.

3. I think basketball is a different sport altogether and it's easier for smaller schools to compete against larger schools. You only need 5 players on the court as opposed to 11. It's also not as physical of a game and IMO Malvern would be physically manhandled in most position groups during most years they would play.

3. I'll give you Minerva currently plays STA, but STA is a parochial school who plays "up" so to speak. Northwest, Alliance, Marlington all play them as well.

4. The schools are actually only about 5 miles from each other. Minerva draws good crowds, it's not necessary to schedule Malvern to make money at the gate.

5. This is to reiterate what I said in #1, when Minerva scheduled United and Lisbon the program was down. Tuslaw is D4 and, when the game was scheduled, a perennial playoff team. Tuslaw/Minerva brought a good gate last year too.

When the divisions realign, Malvern will be D7, Minerva D4. I'm of the opinion that there is absolutely NO justification for a school playing an opponent 3 divisions below them. I also think this is sketchy when we're talking about parochials, look at what happened to Mooney last week? I just really don't think Minerva has anything to gain by scheduling them, and I know that most people in the Minerva community would agree. The two schools scrimmaged in the early 2000s and I remember being vehemently against it. This is no disrespect to Malvern either, they have developed a nice program BUT they are simply not on the same level as Minerva. I have seen both teams play over the years and can tell you almost unequivocally that Minerva would annihilate the Hornets most years.

Nightmare, why don't you ask the Louisville posters why they don't play STA? I'm sure you'd get some interesting responses....

Maverick, I agree with the majority of your post and since the game isn't going to happen I'll just drop the subject.

Now how about some insight on the Aquinas-Minerva game. There hasn't been too much talk about the actual game on this thread. I like to get down to Hines Stadium (such a nice venue) and was thinking about maybe making the trip this Friday.