Week 2: Loyola Academy IL (ESPN)

Might the HC have too much on his plate? It has been an emotional week for the Bombers. GBM
May well be true. They lost two long time coaches over the summer, and this team has zero experience. Unfortunately the OC just doesn't seem to be able to adapt the offense at all.

This Loyola team is good, but not this good. X O line looks lost, and the defense is missing basic assignments. They can't continue to play man coverage with no pressure, and the LB's playing so close to the line.

This team has a looooooonnnnngggggg way to go right now.

For what it’s worth on the quality of football played – St. I’s played Loyola Academy in 2019 - in Michigan City Indiana, just outside of Chicago. Loyola had a 11-3 record and state championship the prior season. The Wildcats won convincingly, 27-10.
St. I’s finished 5-5 that season and did not make the playoffs. The Ramblers finished the season 8-4, losing in the state quarterfinals (analogous to Ohio’s regional finals).
The Bombers will be playing in game 2, whereas this is the Ramblers season opener. I expect a Bombers’ victory
😪

This will be the Bombers 5th ESPN televised game

Bombers on ESPN (1-3)
(Sunday Sept. 2) DeMatha at Nippert Stadium. StX won 28-7
2010 (Sunday Aug. 29) Our Lady Good Counsel at StX. Bombers lost 21-6
2016 (Saturday Aug. 27) St. John Bosco at Nippert Stadium. StX lost 34-0
2020 (Saturday Aug. 29) at Brownsburg StX lost 30-24 OT
2022 (Sunday Aug. 28) at Loyola Academy (Wilmette IL)

A good omen.....3 of the 4 years X has played on ESPN they went on to win D1 Ohio State titles
Where were you in 2005 ESPN???
Bombers now 1-4 on ESPN (and no Prattville, Lakeland, Highlands etc were not televised on ESPN)
State championship on the horizon?

Thanks for giving Ohio a big black eye on national TV, just getting smacked in the face all day long with very few volleys in return.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Don’t be fooled by the name. Loyola is a Jesuit high school that’s been around for over 100 years. This is not IMG
I think KingKong just pulled your chain, Big Time... he was not serious about Loyola ACADEMY being anything like IMG ACADEMY...

Maybe it's time to stop talking about how much the St. X offensive line WEIGHS (Reload) and start talking about whether they can block anybody-- couldn't get a yard against a modest Lakota West line, when they needed it most last week-- couldn't really provide much pass protection or run blocking this week... meanwhile, this is par for the course for a St. X defensive secondary (in most years not numbered 2005-2007)-- trailing 5 yards behind receivers on vertical plays down the field-- and NEVER looking back for the ball, when the receiver turns and looks for the ball-- so they do NOT make plays on the ball, even when they are tight enough to do so-- the one time someone DID today, it was rewarded with a interception return for a TD-- Rocky Boiman said that X's secondary is known for playing off the receivers by a lot (big cushion)-- and "then relies on its speed back there"-- I'd say it's more like they play off to avoid getting burnt-- and they STILL end up 5 yards (or more) behind the receiver on long routes down the field.

Then there's the special teams.... Ugh-- where to begin...

Last edited:
The talk amongst the StX faithful here in Willmette Illinois is about the freshmen team that improved to 2-0 yesterday. Was worth the drive up on Saturday morning to see the 33-14 victory. The most talent I have seen on a Bomber freshman team in a long time. Several look ready for Friday night

St. Xavier 33, Loyola Academy 14
1st Qtr

X Daniel Vollmer 37 yard TD run XP good X 7 LA 0
X Vollmer 24 yard TD pass to Kobe Klapper XP good X 14 LA 0

2nd Qtr
X Brayden Reilly 7 yard TD run XP no good X 20 LA 0
X Vollmer 56 yard TD pass to Cam Taylor XP no good X 26 LA 0
LA 60 yard TD run, XP good X 26 LA 7

3rd Qtr
X Vollmer 48 yard TD run XP good X 33 LA 7
LA 29 yard TD run XP good X 33 LA 14

- a 55 yd TD pass was called back for a phantom hold and a 44 yard TD pass dropped at the 5 yd line

Offensive Leaders
QB Daniel Vollmer 11 for 18 for 264 yards and 2 TDs; 8 carries for 110 yards and 2 TDs
WR Cam Taylor 5 catches for 117 yards and 1 TD
WR Kobe Klapper 3 catches for 60 yards and 1 TD
WR Brayden Reilly 1 catch for 27 yards and 3 carries for 21 yards and 1 TD
RB Brady McDonald 10 carries for 50 yards
RB Max Vollmer 7 carries for 23 yards

Defensive Leaders
Safeties Aden Reeder and Max Vollmer
LBs Will Sweeney, Connor Bareswilt and August Betz
DLinemen Grant Reineck, Cam Carter and Ben Schmidt

Ah that explains it so it’s like Groundhog Day. All kidding aside didn’t expect a beat down like that in the first half.
Still, who cares about competing with the likes of IMG? There’s nothing impressive about what they do. There’s nothing impressive about any of those schools like Bosco, Gorman, Mater Dei, Aquinas,etc. It’s easy to dominate when you’re able to freely recruit across a major US city. I’m no traditionalist, who thinks HS teams should only be kids from the neighborhood but those teams literally recruit/cherry pick established HS stars from other near by schools. They’re a joke and don’t deserve any respect.

Maybe it's time to stop talking about how much the St. X offensive line WEIGHGS (Reload) and start talking about whether they can block anybody-- couldn't get a yard against a modest Lakota West line, when they needed it most last week-- couldn't really provide much pass protection or run blocking this week... meanwhile, this is par for the course for a St. X defensive secondary (in most years not numbered 2005-2007)-- trailing 5 yards behind receivers on vertical plays down the field-- and NEVER looking back for the ball, when the receiver turns and looks for the ball-- so they do NOT make plays on the ball, even when they are tight enough to do so-- the one time someone DID today, it was rewarded with a interception return for a TD-- Rocky Boiman said that X's secondary is known for playing off the receivers by a lot (big cushion)-- and "then relies on its speed back there"-- I'd say it's more like they play off to avoid getting burnt-- and they STILL end up 5 yards (or more) behind the receiver on long routes down the field.

Then there's the special teams.... Ugh-- where to begin...

+1,000. No offense to the Bombers, but...
  1. The OL looked very slow and soft.
  2. The QB/WR looked mostly incapable (even with time).
  3. The DBs spread thin and burned regularly.
  4. Almost everyone spent more time getting hit than giving hits.
  5. The punting was mostly cringeworthy.
  6. The entire team looked dazed (perhaps understandably).
This team has a lot of growing to do. Hopefully they rise to the challenge over the course of the season.

This team has a lot of growing to do. Hopefully they rise to the challenge over the course of the season.
I'm still waiting to see X's QB to throw his first spiral pass of the season-- it's actually quite impressive (to me) that he's had the (admittedly modest) success as he has had so far, with the way the ball comes out of his hand-- some of 'em are nearly end-over-end punts-- doesn't the QB Whisperer have the ability to work with him on his release, such that he at least gets a half-decent spiral on the 8-10 yard passes?

I'm still waiting to see X's QB to throw his first spiral pass of the season-- it's actually quite impressive (to me) that he's had the (admittedly modest) success as he has had so far, with the way the ball comes out of his hand-- some of 'em are nearly end-over-end punts-- doesn't the QB Whisperer have the ability to work with him on his release, such that he at least gets a half-decent spiral on the 8-10 yard passes?
🤡

So, St. Xavier fans (and probably many other Ohio HS football fans) just got their first look at how Supreme Court Justice (and former Georgetown Jesuit Prep football player) Bret Kavanaugh's ill-advised decision (last year) to overturn the entire premise of amateurism in American scholastic sports will play out in HS games-- those of you who tuned into today's nationally televised football game on ESPN between two Jesuit high schools saw that the quarterback for Loyola Academy made sure to wear multiple different hats advertising "The Shack" Indoor Golf Club, in each of his in-game and post-game sideline interviews.

The Shack is a private indoor golf club in Glenview, IL (not far from Loyola Academy): https://www.theshackgolfclub.com

In other words, Loyola's QB more than likely was getting paid a not insignificant sum of money to play in this game-- in return for endorsing "The Shack"; for those of you who are shocked to learn of this turn of events, here is the link to a story detailing the Illinois State Legislature's passing of a law that allows Illinois "post-secondary" athletes to earn money off of their NIL (Name, Image, and Likeness) rights:

Now, high school is not post-secondary-- but it certainly appeared as though the Loyola Academy QB was purposefully putting on a hat endorsing "The Shack" Indoor Golf Club, each time he was asked to do a televised interview-- much as an NFL QB would do for his own press conferences (for paid endorsement reasons).

Ohio's OHSAA voted against allowing Ohio HS players to earn NIL this season-- but do not harbor any illusions-- if Ohio does not change, because every other state eventually changes to allowing their HS players to earn NIL payments (Nine states already sanction high school NIL: Alaska, California, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York and Utah)-- putting Ohio high schools at a disadvantage for keeping players in-state-- then inevitably, there will be a Maurice Clarett or Lebron James type player who will challenge the current status quo in Ohio in court-- and will inevitably win their case-- since Kavanaugh and the US Supreme Court have already established that the governing legal precedent dictates that amateurism can NOT be enforced on scholastic athletes.

So, St. Xavier fans (and probably many other Ohio HS football fans) just got their first look at how Supreme Court Justice (and former Georgetown Jesuit Prep football player) Bret Kavanaugh's ill-advised decision (last year) to overturn the entire premise of amateurism in American scholastic sports will play out in HS games-- those of you who tuned into today's nationally televised football game on ESPN between two Jesuit high schools saw that the quarterback for Loyola Academy made sure to wear multiple different hats advertising "The Shack" Indoor Golf Club, in each of his in-game and post-game sideline interviews.

The Shack is a private indoor golf club in Glenview, IL (not far from Loyola Academy): https://www.theshackgolfclub.com

In other words, Loyola's QB more than likely was getting paid a not insignificant sum of money to play in this game-- in return for endorsing "The Shack"; for those of you who are shocked to learn of this turn of events, here is the link to a story detailing the Illinois State Legislature's passing of a law that allows Illinois "post-secondary" athletes to earn money off of their NIL (Name, Image, and Likeness) rights:

Now, high school is not post-secondary-- but it certainly appeared as though the Loyola Academy QB was purposefully putting on a hat endorsing "The Shack" Indoor Golf Club, each time he was asked to do a televised interview-- much as an NFL QB would do for his own press conferences (for paid endorsement reasons).

Ohio's OHSAA voted against allowing Ohio HS players to earn NIL this season-- but do not harbor any illusions-- if Ohio does not change, because every other state eventually changes to allowing their HS players to earn NIL payments (Nine states already sanction high school NIL: Alaska, California, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York and Utah)-- putting Ohio high schools at a disadvantage for keeping players in-state-- then inevitably, there will be a Maurice Clarett or Lebron James type player who will challenge the current status quo in Ohio in court-- and will inevitably win their case-- since Kavanaugh and the US Supreme Court have already established that the governing legal precedent dictates that amateurism can NOT be enforced on scholastic athletes.
🤡

I don’t really see the concern here. If a kid wants to hawk a local business and get a little something for it, I don’t think that’s harmful. The better question is why a business owner thinks paying high school kids to advertise is going to really help their business — especially since the vast majority of games are not televised and, even if they were, would be watched by such a small number of potential customers that it would render the advertising essentially inconsequential.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Could not have said it better. The OL has been disappointing, though I'm not sure if Cov's offense plays to their strength, which should be using thar road grader size to move people.

I'm beginning to wonder if they may need a QB switch. It's early still though, and the line did him zero favors.

The corners in this scheme are usually isolated. But they were getting very little safety help and LB help. LA's QB was on fire, and coupled with some awful angles being taken, that was ugly.

The entire special teams looks messy. Banker was a diffuse kind of dude, but always had the special teams locked in.

I am really hoping that this is an immature team still finding their way, but some of the very fundamental mistakes they were making has me questioning that. Gaps not being filled, terrible angles being taken, blitzers running free on basic stunts, etc. The undersized LB corps is not working either, consistently out of position, and getting zero pressure. Going to be a long season I'm afraid.

The talk amongst the StX faithful here in Willmette Illinois is about the freshmen team that improved to 2-0 yesterday. Was worth the drive up on Saturday morning to see the 33-14 victory. The most talent I have seen on a Bomber freshman team in a long time. Several look ready for Friday night

St. Xavier 33, Loyola Academy 14
1st Qtr

X Daniel Vollmer 37 yard TD run XP good X 7 LA 0
X Vollmer 24 yard TD pass to Kobe Klapper XP good X 14 LA 0

2nd Qtr
X Brayden Reilly 7 yard TD run XP no good X 20 LA 0
X Vollmer 56 yard TD pass to Cam Taylor XP no good X 26 LA 0
LA 60 yard TD run, XP good X 26 LA 7

3rd Qtr
X Vollmer 48 yard TD run XP good X 33 LA 7
LA 29 yard TD run XP good X 33 LA 14

- a 55 yd TD pass was called back for a phantom hold and a 44 yard TD pass dropped at the 5 yd line

Offensive Leaders
QB Daniel Vollmer 11 for 18 for 264 yards and 2 TDs; 8 carries for 110 yards and 2 TDs
WR Cam Taylor 5 catches for 117 yards and 1 TD
WR Kobe Klapper 3 catches for 60 yards and 1 TD
WR Brayden Reilly 1 catch for 27 yards and 3 carries for 21 yards and 1 TD
RB Brady McDonald 10 carries for 50 yards
RB Max Vollmer 7 carries for 23 yards

Defensive Leaders
Safeties Aden Reeder and Max Vollmer
LBs Will Sweeney, Connor Bareswilt and August Betz
DLinemen Grant Reineck, Cam Carter and Ben Schmidt
Vollmer continues to look like the real deal, will be pushing Herbstreit and O'Malley next year. With his size and running ability, it looks like he may be a great candidate to play WR until he gets his QB shot on varsity.

How did the JV look? They look to have some dudes as well, and wouldn't be surprised to see some promotions with playing time if the varsity doesn't get it together.

I'm still waiting to see X's QB to throw his first spiral pass of the season--
I'd have to agree with this, unfortunately.

Hoping it's just one of those situations where a kid is uncomfortable or thinking too much and finally just says "screw it" and just starts slinging the ball. Otherwise, a change may be coming/necessary.

I'd have to agree with this, unfortunately.

Hoping it's just one of those situations where a kid is uncomfortable or thinking too much and finally just says "screw it" and just starts slinging the ball. Otherwise, a change may be coming/necessary.
I was hoping our GCL brothers play well on national TV, they didn't. However, it is always fun to watch high school kids play ball.
1) QB needs to throw a spiral -
2) DB's needs to be able to cover 1 on 1
3) Punter needs to be better
4) Chicago Team looked big and really Good.

Reactions: 4GX
Been a while since we've seen X have less than stellar talent. There is no 'difference maker' other than Hammonds. The type that the other team and coaches always has to know where he lines up. When that's the case you really have to rely on system, scheme and fundamentals. With a young team still expected better fundamentals. Line was overwhelmed, several drop passes, can't make those mistakes putting the team off schedule because no star to bail out a play. Delay of game strikes me as coaching, punting is train wreck, can't have shanks every week. Pass rush outside of Hammonds was a struggle as well. Great test for the coaches, lot easier to coach with superior talent, coach 'em up because the good thing is the kids are smart and will give it 100%.

Been a while since we've seen X have less than stellar talent. There is no 'difference maker' other than Hammonds. The type that the other team and coaches always has to know where he lines up. When that's the case you really have to rely on system, scheme and fundamentals. With a young team still expected better fundamentals. Line was overwhelmed, several drop passes, can't make those mistakes putting the team off schedule because no star to bail out a play. Delay of game strikes me as coaching, punting is train wreck, can't have shanks every week. Pass rush outside of Hammonds was a struggle as well. Great test for the coaches, lot easier to coach with superior talent, coach 'em up because the good thing is the kids are smart and will give it 100%.
Thought the same - didn't seem to have a true WR threat which has been a position of great talent and depth. Where did all the receivers go? Any others with any height, they seem so small?

Vollmer continues to look like the real deal, will be pushing Herbstreit and O'Malley next year. With his size and running ability, it looks like he may be a great candidate to play WR until he gets his QB shot on varsity.
He's going to continue to put up gaudy numbers at the frosh level (250 pass/100 rush) each game so why not bring him up as an "athlete" and move him around. With Herbie at QB and Vollmer and O'Malley at WR, Coverdale could have a blast drawing up double and triple pass plays. All 3 are elusive and good sized (6'1" 180lb) so not too concerned with defenders getting a clean shot at any of them

Thought the same - didn't seem to have a true WR threat which has been a position of great talent and depth. Where did all the receivers go? Any others with any height, they seem so small?
I don't really think receiver is the problem area-- they don't have breakaway speed-- but the one kid does an outstanding job of getting open deep (or, at least, catching the ball in a crowd, when it's thrown to him deep)-- and the other guys are pretty decent as well (as evidenced by the outstanding "hands play" that the receiver made in the end zone, on X's last score yesterday), and they DO have height. These receivers are catching passes that are hardly "textbook" balls, so I don't really see the deficiency at receiver... I'd argue that the offensive line's ability to block (run or pass), and the ability of the main running back to get any yards after initial contact, and the ability of the QB to throw a spiral are greater areas of concern than the receivers.

I don't really think receiver is the problem area-- they don't have breakaway speed-- but the one kid does an outstanding job of getting open deep (or, at least, catching the ball in a crowd, when it's thrown to him deep)-- and the other guys are pretty decent as well (as evidenced by the outstanding "hands play" that the receiver made in the end zone, on X's last score yesterday), and they DO have height. These receivers are catching passes that are hardly "textbook" balls, so I don't really see the deficiency at receiver... I'd argue that the offensive line's ability to block (run or pass), and the ability of the main running back to get any yards after initial contact, and the ability of the QB to throw a spiral are greater areas of concern than the receivers.
Agree with you that LIne biggest issue, doesn't matter who QB, back or WR's are if no time or holes. I'm not knocking the WR's, just mean that they good versus what coaches call a Dawg/Dude/CatDaddy, one that stands out from the pack and makes plays that shouldn't be made. Sharpe seems to be stepping up. I'd say it would the Bengals without Chase and Tee, good pros but not ones that instill fear in the competition.