Week 2: Elder vs Indianapolis Cathedral

ElderHSfan02

Cathedral is 2-0.
Week 0 42-14 win over Noblesville
Week 1 28-0 win over Moeller

I admittedly don't know much about Cathedral. Looking at the box score against Moeller, they completely shut down the Moeller offense getting a shutout. They held Malik Verdon to 4-15 passing 26 yards and picked him off 3 times. The Moeller running backs were just as ineffective totaling 52 yards on 31 carries. Moeller had just 5 first downs and 8 turnovers. Cathedral turned it over 4 times.

Cathedral QB Orin Edwards was 19-30 passing 182 yards with 2 TD passes but also 2 INT. Camden Jordan caught 3 TD passes. The running game was not very effective gaining 57 yards on 28 carries.

Cathedral finished 7-6 last year losing 21-14 in the 3rd round of the Indiana State 5a playoffs to the eventual state runner-up Decatur Central(they lost 28-14 in state finals). Remember Elder beat Cathedral at Cathedral 39-34 in week 3 last year.

It looks like Elder is going to have their hands full Friday night against a very good Cathedral team. I like the home field advantage and Cathedral making the long bus trip. I'll predict Elder 42 Cathedral 28.

We begin our countdown of the top-10 high school football teams in Central Indiana with Cathedral at No. 10:

Last season, for the first time since 2005, the high school football regional was played without Cathedral. The state’s longest sectional title streak ended at 12 when the Irish lost 21-14 to Decatur Central in the Class 5A Sectional 13 championship game.

“It was sour to leave it where we did, especially to Decatur,” said Cathedral senior offensive tackle Tex Elliott. “But you can’t look in the rearview mirror. You have to look forward. I think this year we’re coming for them.”

It was a season of mixed results for Cathedral, which finished 6-6 in Bill Peebles’ first season as coach after leaving Lawrence Central. It was the first non-winning season for the Irish since a 3-7 mark in 2005.

Yet there is optimism around the Cathedral campus this summer, though this will be a young team, particularly on the offensive line. One reason for optimism is at the quarterback position, where senior Orin Edwards returns. In his first full season as a starter, Edwards completed 59 percent of his passes for 2,511 yards and 23 touchdowns (with four interceptions). Edwards is also an above-average runner (237 yards and three TDs).

While Cathedral’s success on offense will hinge on the effectiveness of Edwards, it is just as crucial that the 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior raises the level of play of his teammates.

“Really the development is – this is his offense,” Peebles said of Edwards. “A couple of weeks ago we had a team meeting and we wanted to go through all the routes with the receivers because had two or three sophomores playing because of injuries. I said, ‘OK, let’s meet.’ And he went through the whole thing and I never said a word. He did a great job. The bottom line is when you have a really smart, intelligent quarterback who is a really good leader, the offense becomes your offense. He’s pretty close.”

There are a lot of question marks around Edwards on offense. The Irish could start three sophomores on the offensive line. Cathedral graduated 1,000-yard rusher Chon’dre Cissell and 1,000-yard receiver Bo Sanders, as well as standout tight end Haven Montefalco. But there are a pair of running backs with some experience in 5-7, 150-pound senior Daylen Hall (384 yards, two touchdowns) and 6-foot, 180-pound junior Jake Langdon (103 yards, two TDs).

“Daylen Hall is lightning quick,” Peebles said. “He’s not very big. Kind of like Chon’dre Cissell was for us last year. Jake Langdon is more of our north-south horse.”

Cathedral will be young along the offensive line and at receiver. Elliott, who is 6-5 and 285 pounds, will be something of a mentor for the young linemen. He has already seen plenty of progress through the summer.

“Sometimes I have to be a coach in there and show them how to do it,” Elliott said. “We have sophomores this year who have never seen a (Cincinnati St. Xavier) linemen before. They have to be coached up to face those kind of Division I players. It seems like July was a huge month for us. They went from, ‘I’m a sophomore and don’t know how to play this game’ to ‘I’m a starter and I’m going to go out and get some bodies.’”

As the offense matures, Peebles expects to lean on the defense. There are several playmakers returning on that side, including senior safety Shiloh Means (100 tackles) and senior linebacker Quinton Cannon (68 tackles, nine tackles for loss).

“The reality is that early on the defense is going to have to carry us because of our youth and inexperience on offense,” Peebles said. “We have some good returning players. Shiloh Means is an excellent player. ‘Q’ Cannon has multiple offers. (Defensive tackle) Sean Oldham is healthy for the first time and he’s a load. He’s a guy as a sophomore who gave Emil Ekiyor a hard time one-on-one. When he’s healthy, he can be a major force for us.”

Means is uncommitted, but has a top four list of Air Force, Miami of Ohio, Penn and Yale. Cannon committed to Western Michigan early in July.

Cathedral appeared poised to move back down to Class 4A at the beginning of the summer. But once the Indiana High School Athletic Association altered its tournament success factor formula, Cathedral football was one of the programs effected and was moved back to 5A. So the Irish are back again in Sectional 13 with Decatur Central, Plainfield, Terre Haute North and Terre Haute South.

“For the most part, I think it’s business as usual,” Edwards said. “I think we’ll open up the playbook a little bit more. Last year at this time I was very nervous going in there. I didn’t know the offense all that well. This year I feel like it’s my team and I’m ready to go in there and be a leader. I think we’ll be very good.”

Schedule overview: Cathedral’s schedule is always tough and this season is no different. The Irish play three games in Cincinnati – at Moeller, Elder and St. Xavier, along with another out-of-state opponent, Louisville Trinity. There are also games against Noblesville, Bishop Chatard, Jeffersonville, Brebeuf Jesuit and Center Grove.

Expectation: Cathedral’s record might not look all that different than it did a year ago. But I would expect the Irish to win the sectional this year before running into New Palestine in the regional.

4 Cathedral seniors being recruited D1
QB Orin Edwards 6'1" 180 has an offer from Howard
OL Tex Elliott 6'5" 280 has offers from Air Force, Army, Central Michigan, Navy, Western Illinois
S Shiloh Means 6'0" 200 has 15 offers from Air Force, Ball St., Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Columbia, Dartmouth, Eastern Michigan, Illinois St., Miami(OH), Navy, Penn, Toledo, Western Illinois, Yale
LB Quinton Cannon 6'2" 190 committed to Western Michigan, had 8 offers

I stole this from CHSIrish in the Moeller forum

Projected Cathedral starting line-ups:

Offense:
RT- #79 Tex Elliott SR 6'-5" 280
RG- #77 Aaron Cotton SR 6'-2" 255
C - #78 Holden Parsons SR 6'-3" 280
LG- #56 Ryan Berutich SR 6'-1" 220
LT- #73 Owen Wood SO 6'-5" 305
TE- #85 John Koscielski JR 6'-1" 205
QB- #12 Orin Edwards SR 6'-1" 185
RB- #20 Daylen Hall SR 5'-7" 150
WR- #4 Camden Jordan JR 6'-0" 160
WR- #3 David Perry JR 5'-10" 175
WR- #13 Jordan Thomas SR 5'-10" 160

Defense:
DL- #57 David Guhl JR 6'-1" 245
DL- #58 Sean Oldham SR 6'-1" 320
DL- #43 Jayden Scruggs JR 6'-1" 210
ILB- #38 Thomas Wood SR 6'-0" 200
ILB- #33 Quinton Cannon SR 6'-2" 200
ILB- #29 Will Goheen SR 6'-1" 205
OLB- #28 Aidan Hughes SR 6'-0" 190
OLB- #37 John Parker JR 5'-10" 165
DB- #19 Zane Hill SR 6'-1" 170
DB- #2 Mario McCullough JR 5'-7" 180
DB- #25 Shiloh Means SR 6-0 200

Notes about Cathedral Irish:
-Big on Offensive Line and Defensive Lines
-Defense was expected to be strength as the Offense grows up, Offense played very well last week
-Offense QB and RB are returning starters from last year
-Defense #25, #33, and #58 are all returning starters that a very solid players.

Cathedral is 2-0.
Week 0 42-14 win over Noblesville
Week 1 28-0 win over Moeller

I admittedly don't know much about Cathedral. Looking at the box score against Moeller, they completely shut down the Moeller offense getting a shutout. They held Malik Verdon to 4-15 passing 26 yards and picked him off 3 times. The Moeller running backs were just as ineffective totaling 52 yards on 31 carries. Moeller had just 5 first downs and 8 turnovers. Cathedral turned it over 4 times.

Cathedral QB Orin Edwards was 19-30 passing 182 yards with 2 TD passes but also 2 INT. Camden Jordan caught 3 TD passes. The running game was not very effective gaining 57 yards on 28 carries.

Cathedral finished 7-6 last year losing 21-14 in the 3rd round of the Indiana State 5a playoffs to the eventual state runner-up Decatur Central(they lost 28-14 in state finals). Remember Elder beat Cathedral at Cathedral 39-34 in week 3 last year.

It looks like Elder is going to have their hands full Friday night against a very good Cathedral team. I like the home field advantage and Cathedral making the long bus trip. I'll predict Elder 42 Cathedral 28.
My understanding is Moeller had more to do with their own undoing than Cathedral. Regardless, the Defense has to contain the edge and they need to cover the middle of the field.

Offensively, I’m hoping to see Luebbe throw the ball more. Elder broke out s few gadget plays vs Lincoln, but for the most part kept things pretty vanilla. I imagine a farmers talented and better coached team will force them to open up the play calling.

The Elder Defense will definitely be tested this week! If the Elder D or Special Teams can force 3 Turnovers or more then Elder will win by a few scores. If not this may turn into an old fashion Offensive Shootout. Elder Wins either way but this will be a tough home opener.

I stole this from CHSIrish in the Moeller forum
You beat me to the punch. I was going to drag the projected starters over to the thread.

Defense was definitely expected to be the strength this year while some of the Offensive players gained experience. Defense played very well in week 1 and week 2. The defense definitely gave the Irish offense multiple chances to extend the lead in the Moeller game. It was a sloppy game.

Offense played very well in week 1, in week 2 they had ups and downs. Run game struggled a little (credit Moeller's defensive line and LB's). In the passing game it looked solid but QB made a couple bad decisions trying to force the ball into tight coverage and throwing 2 picks.

I will be interested to see the Elder Offense and Cathedral Defense against each other. Looks like the Panther's had a great showing last week. I'm hoping the Irish offense will correct a few of the mistakes this week in practice and play more consistent. The team Irish will definitely have to prepare for the environment. It has been a few years since the Irish have been to The Pit (I am looking forward to visiting again) none of the current players have played in the venue. While they have to prepare for the environment, I don't think the travel will be a factor, they just played in Cinciy and Cathedral is definitely the epitome of road warriors.

I hope for a hard fought well played game with no injuries! I look forward to visiting your beautiful facility again!

Last edited:
I listened to the Cathedral broadcast on Saturday night and two things stood out to me. The first is that Cathedral requested to join the GCL. The vote was 3-1, but it had to be unamous. I don't know what year this was, but sounds about right.

The second was that the announcers kept harping on the fact that St X and most Ohio schools do not have play clocks. At one point the guy says something along the line of "This is a multi million dollar stadium, and they can't afford $400 for play clocks". As many games as I have been to, I am shocked when they have a play clock, not when they don't.

My understanding is Moeller had more to do with their own undoing than Cathedral. Regardless, the Defense has to contain the edge and they need to cover the middle of the field.

It is kind of interesting to see Moeller had more to do with their own undoing than Cathedral. I guess I just don't understand that. The Irish defense forced 8 turnovers, they weren't all fumbled snaps or errant throws. they were fumbles forced by tacklers except 1 bad snap. One of the Cathedral DB's McCullough had 3 Int's, and 2 of them he was off the receiver and made great plays on the ball.

That being said the Irish Offense made plenty of their own mistakes after the defense got them the ball and didn't extend the lead. The Irish Offense didn't do very well against the Moeller front 4.

I thought the Irish played very well against Elder last year. It was quite an exciting game going back and forth. I will say I have nothing but the best words for Elder. Their players and coaches were outstanding. Their fans I spoke to last year were a complete joy to speak with. I had the same experience a few years back when we played each other.

The Pit will be a challenging environment, but I 100% can't wait to see it again. I sincerely hope Cathedral and Elder keep this series going between the 2 schools in the future, I think it is a win/win for both schools!

Last edited:
I listened to the Cathedral broadcast on Saturday night and two things stood out to me. The first is that Cathedral requested to join the GCL. The vote was 3-1, but it had to be unamous. I don't know what year this was, but sounds about right.

The second was that the announcers kept harping on the fact that St X and most Ohio schools do not have play clocks. At one point the guy says something along the line of "This is a multi million dollar stadium, and they can't afford $400 for play clocks". As many games as I have been to, I am shocked when they have a play clock, not when they don't.

VandR,

Yes the guy who said that was a long time Irish coach, former AD, and former teacher. He actually is a great person to talk to with loads of knowledge especially about the history of Cathedral. Many of his comments are tongue in cheek, he is admittedly a Cathedral homer with his family having several generations at the school. He is very passionate and loves to joke around and tell stories. Take no offense to it, if anything he was taking a dig at St. X (tongue in cheek of course)lol.

In all honesty to me it is a difference between the IHSAA and OHSAA. The OHSAA doesn't require play clocks so it is common not to see them on High School fields. The IHSAA requires play clocks so you will see them on the fields. The IHSAA just adopted the Mercy Rule for this year for the first time ever. That being said the coaches and players usually are prepared and aware when there is no play clock. They still may make mistakes and get a delay of game, but it is something they prepare for.

As for request to join the GCL. Who would you think gave the no vote LaSalle? Can we take their voters out for a few drinks on the town to persuade them!! Cathedral joining the GCL would be terrific for all 5 schools involved! Guaranteed 4 games for each school.

VandR,

Yes the guy who said that was a long time Irish coach, former AD, and former teacher. He actually is a great person to talk to with loads of knowledge especially about the history of Cathedral. Many of his comments are tongue in cheek, he is admittedly a Cathedral homer with his family having several generations at the school. He is very passionate and loves to joke around and tell stories. Take no offense to it, if anything he was taking a dig at St. X (tongue in cheek of course)lol.

In all honesty to me it is a difference between the IHSAA and OHSAA. The OHSAA doesn't require play clocks so it is common not to see them on High School fields. The IHSAA requires play clocks so you will see them on the fields. The IHSAA just adopted the Mercy Rule for this year for the first time ever. That being said the coaches and players usually are prepared and aware when there is no play clock. They still may make mistakes and get a delay of game, but it is something they prepare for.

As for request to join the GCL. Who would you think gave the no vote LaSalle? Can we take their voters out for a few drinks on the town to persuade them!! Cathedral joining the GCL would be terrific for all 5 schools involved! Guaranteed 4 games for each school.

It had to be LS. The other 3 schools desperately need that extra guaranteed game. Nobody wants to play Football North or Clearwater Academy, those are last resorts.

It had to be LS. The other 3 schools desperately need that extra guaranteed game. Nobody wants to play Football North or Clearwater Academy, those are last resorts.

I think LaSalles new AD would do it in a heartbeat. I'm sure he's not a fan of traveling to places like Buffalo or having teams from Canada and MA come to their place and make zero money off a home game.

I think LaSalles new AD would do it in a heartbeat. I'm sure he's not a fan of traveling to places like Buffalo or having teams from Canada and MA come to their place and make zero money off a home game.
When did the vote occur? I can’t imagine Elder, X, or Moe not wanting a guaranteed extra game vs a quality program.

As for request to join the GCL. Who would you think gave the no vote LaSalle?

This would be extremely disappointing if true. I'd rather play Cathedral every year rather than teams from Massachusetts and New York, for instance.

That said, I doubt anybody involved these days at La Salle would vote against that.

When did the vote occur? I can’t imagine Elder, X, or Moe not wanting a guaranteed extra game vs a quality program.

I guess I understand why La Salle would be the guess, but La Salle has played the likes of Cathedral, Ignatius and other heavy weights in the past decade or so. I wonder when the vote was and if it really was a thing.

VandR,

They did a good job. When listening to a HS game on the radio or web I expect the annoucers to be a homer for their school. I really can't stand Barrett Cohen (Moeller's announcer) who thinks he is God's gift to high schools. I enjoyed the banter and was trying to learn as much about Cathedral as I could.

With that being said I said to myself in my head jokinly " They are complaining about no play clock, and they have no field". But neither does Moeller so it was all in good fun.

I would guess that LaSalle would be the no vote. My reasoning is that Moeller, X, and Elder all play Cathedral this year. Plus Cathedral only has a winning record vs LaSalle. I don't know when the vote was taken, but that would be my guess.

I could see it working pretty well. All current members get a 4th scheduled game. Cathedral could work it out that they play 2 games in Cincy and 2 in Indy. The Cincy teams would only have to travel to Indy every other year. If they worked it right the long term contracts they have with the Cleveland Catholics, they could do one year in Indy and one in Cleveland, so only one "big" road trip a year.

What would sweetin the pot for this to work is if Cathedral would agree to play the games at an Indy HS on the southeast side, such as Franklin Central or Southport. That way the Cincy teams wouldn't have to drive across Indy. I personally enjoyed the game last year at Marian, because my sister-in-law was a professor there. I think Cathedral would be a good edition to the GCL.

With that being said I said to myself in my head jokinly " They are complaining about no play clock, and they have no field". But neither does Moeller so it was all in good fun.

I could see it working pretty well. All current members get a 4th scheduled game. Cathedral could work it out that they play 2 games in Cincy and 2 in Indy. The Cincy teams would only have to travel to Indy every other year. If they worked it right the long term contracts they have with the Cleveland Catholics, they could do one year in Indy and one in Cleveland, so only one "big" road trip a year.

What would sweetin the pot for this to work is if Cathedral would agree to play the games at an Indy HS on the southeast side, such as Franklin Central or Southport. That way the Cincy teams wouldn't have to drive across Indy. I personally enjoyed the game last year at Marian, because my sister-in-law was a professor there. I think Cathedral would be a good edition to the GCL.

Now that right there is pure "gold", you almost made me spit out my coffee. In a quote from Stepbrothers "Did we just become best friends"! What is even better is that Cathedral does have a turf field on campus (they play Freshman and JV games on it) however there is an ordinance by the surrounding neighborhood that they can't put up lights. The best part is though, I don't believe they have a play clock (I haven't been to Frosh or JV games in a few years). Link: https://www.gocathedral.com/

That being said Cathedral does have some campaigns going on. They purchased 35 acres of property off campus and named it Brunette Park. It currently has Baseball and Softball games played there. The initial plans are to focus on Baseball, Softball, Cross-Country, Soccer, and Lacrosse at the facility. Future plans are to bring over Football, Track & Field, Tennis. I've provided a link to that as well. It is on the Northeast side of Indianapolis (not far from Cathedral) at 44th and Mitthoeffer. So a home Football stadium could be in the works. Link: http://cathedral100.com/brunettepark/

As for the Cleveland Catholic schools. The Irish have not played St. Ignatious, but they did play Lakewood St. Edward's in Indy in 2017 and at St. Edward's last year. Until the new facilities are built it would be tough to say where they would play because they have to rent a field. The most likely place they would use is Arsenal Tech (they play many home games there it's in downtown Indianapolis). Southport is a possibility as the current Head Coach coached there at one time. Franklin Central is not likely although a very nice stadium. University of Indianapolis is has very little visitor seating. Lawrence Central or Warren Central would be great spots but very unlikely.

With IC's inexperience on the OL and Elder's inexperience on the DL, will Ramsey be playing the OL players both ways a lot on Friday? If so I think the IC's QB will be running for his life.

With IC's inexperience on the OL and Elder's inexperience on the DL, will Ramsey be playing the OL players both ways a lot on Friday? If so I think the IC's QB will be running for his life.
Probably since Smith is their best DL. My guess is Cathedral is going to either Spy Luebbe or stack the box and make him beat them throwing the ball.

I’m anxious to see Luebbe in a game where Elder needs to throw the ball to win. Last week they could have won handily without throwing a single pass. E will not win tomorrow if they don’t throw the ball well.

Last edited:

Cathedral has a senior Division 1 recruit at tackle so they aren't completely inexperienced.

According to CHSIrish, their starting line looks like this 4 seniors and only 1 sophomore and he's huge.

Looking forward to a great high school Football game tomorrow. Think this is going to have a playoff game type atmosphere and plenty of talent on the field.

Cathedral has a senior Division 1 recruit at tackle so they aren't completely inexperienced.

According to CHSIrish, their starting line looks like this 4 seniors and only 1 sophomore and he's huge.

I’m worried about who is going to cover the Slot. Not calling anyone out, but one player definitely stood out as a major mismatch in Elder’s Secondary. Teams are going to throw at him all game if they get the chance.

I have no idea if a vote even happened, this is Yappi so its probably just a rumor.
I think V&R said it was brought up on the Cathedral broadcast during the Moe game. It could be total bs, but the origins of the rumor weren’t started on Yappi

Now that right there is pure "gold", you almost made me spit out my coffee. In a quote from Stepbrothers "Did we just become best friends"! What is even better is that Cathedral does have a turf field on campus (they play Freshman and JV games on it) however there is an ordinance by the surrounding neighborhood that they can't put up lights. The best part is though, I don't believe they have a play clock (I haven't been to Frosh or JV games in a few years). Link: https://www.gocathedral.com/

That being said Cathedral does have some campaigns going on. They purchased 35 acres of property off campus and named it Brunette Park. It currently has Baseball and Softball games played there. The initial plans are to focus on Baseball, Softball, Cross-Country, Soccer, and Lacrosse at the facility. Future plans are to bring over Football, Track & Field, Tennis. I've provided a link to that as well. It is on the Northeast side of Indianapolis (not far from Cathedral) at 44th and Mitthoeffer. So a home Football stadium could be in the works. Link: http://cathedral100.com/brunettepark/

As for the Cleveland Catholic schools. The Irish have not played St. Ignatious, but they did play Lakewood St. Edward's in Indy in 2017 and at St. Edward's last year. Until the new facilities are built it would be tough to say where they would play because they have to rent a field. The most likely place they would use is Arsenal Tech (they play many home games there it's in downtown Indianapolis). Southport is a possibility as the current Head Coach coached there at one time. Franklin Central is not likely although a very nice stadium. University of Indianapolis is has very little visitor seating. Lawrence Central or Warren Central would be great spots but very unlikely.
I am glad you got the joke. I hope Cathedrals sports complex comes to life.

I was referencing the Cleveland Catholics in relation to them usually playing one of the Cincy Catholics. A few years ago I did a spread sheet for the Cleveland, Cincy, and Louisville schools to form a "super" conference for football only and found that the Cincy teams would still average over a 100 mile trip for road games. Louisville St X to Iggy and Eds is 350 and 347. So those numbers just get too big for yearly. The Cleveland teams would go up to over 200 average road trip.

Adding Cathedral wouldn't add near the mileage. I just picked Southport and Franklin Central because those were the two nicest looking "big" stadiums on the southeast side of Indy with a google search. St. Eds sort of has the same deal Cathedral has and half the time we go up there, we seem like we are playing on the Cleveland NE side. I think the last 5 trips to Cleveland to play Eds we have been in 5 different stadiums. So I was trying to avoid a game at Brownsburg, or Ben Davis. I would be fine playing at Speedway High, just because it is near one of my happy places.

My bosses daughters went to Cathedral. He always tells me how the locations of the games always changes. I am no expert, and I can think of Cathedral playing at Broad Ripple, Marian, Lucas Oil, University of Indy, and Butler. So getting a true home stadium would be nice for them.

Anyway give yourself plenty of extra travel time, I think they have some construction on 74.

I think V&R said it was brought up on the Cathedral broadcast during the Moe game. It could be total bs, but the origins of the rumor weren’t started on Yappi

Yes it came from the Cathedral broadcast. The gentleman whom stated it definitely wouldn't spread a rumor, he is a former Athletic Director at Cathedral for several years. He is now retired and the current AD at Cathedral is their former Head Coach.