Week 2: Elder vs Indianapolis Cathedral

CHS~Irish classy as always. That was a fun game to watch, it's a shame it ended on somewhat of a controversial play. Those two teams played so hard and so well they deserved an outcome that was definite. CHS coaches, players and fans handled the situation well as far as I could tell and based on some of the headlines in high school sports recently that is to be commended. I agree with all, this is a series that needs to be continued.

In the past, the hardware to connect to the scoreboard clock from the streaming computer was very expensive. Now though it seems much more commonplace and with recent upgrades to the scoreboard and streaming setup it could be a possibility.
I know during basketball streams sometimes they will just superimpose a shot of the clock onto the stream itself. Wonder if that's a possibility.

Didn’t see the game or the stats, but 16 carries and nearly 100 yards, likely made him the leading carrier in attempts and yards, correct?
I didn't see the stats either but I would assume so. They have 4 very good options for running the ball, Luebbe, Ramsey, Catania and Johnson. I was particularly impressed with Johnson's ability between the tackles for a small guy.

Last edited:
Ha, leads the entire GCLS in rushing yards and attempts. Anyone think this continues? Also, not seeing either game, are they designed runs, qb draw, scrambles, or a combination? If so, do you see a potential injury risk? I know he’s not a big kid, but he may be pretty solidly built to take some of that, especially if he’s able to get on the perimeter or into the secondary.

Last edited:
Ha, leads the entire GCLS in rushing yards and attempts. Anyone think this continues?
I would hope not, but you never know. Like I said they have four very good options for running the ball and some pretty good targets in the passing game so hopefully they can mix it up a little and keep them all involved in the offense.

Ha, leads the entire GCLS in rushing yards and attempts. Anyone think this continues? Also, not seeing either game, are they designed runs, qb draw, scrambles, or a combination? If so, do you see a potential injury risk? I know he’s not a big kid, but he may be pretty solidly built to take some of that, especially if he’s able to get on the perimeter or into the secondary.

Judging from the game last night it was a combination of both with mixed results. Sometimes it looked like a designed run and it was stopped for no or short gain and sometimes it went for a solid gain. However I feel he was at his best when dropping back to pass and a team puts on pressure he finds the open running lane. Those runs were typically picking up the most yardage. That was only an observation from last nights game.

Judging from the game last night it was a combination of both with mixed results. Sometimes it looked like a designed run and it was stopped for no or short gain and sometimes it went for a solid gain. However I feel he was at his best when dropping back to pass and a team puts on pressure he finds the open running lane. Those runs were typically picking up the most yardage. That was only an observation from last nights game.
Thanks. I figured he would have a healthy dose of scrambles, given he’s not an exceptional passer and likely has more confidence in using his feet. He’s so quick and fast, I would imagine he poses a real containment issue.

Yes he did get to watch the game online, and he actually mentioned the announcers did a very good job. I always enjoy making the trip to The Pit it has a terrific atmosphere about it, and in my experience the Elder fans and parents are a pure joy. I definitely hope the series continues. By the way you can't beat the month of May in Indy.
I love the month of May in Indy. I try and make it up two or three times durning the month. I would say Elder Stadium is the IMS of High School football. I even have a brick from the brickyard.

Anyone else feel the OL is still figuring things out and still has some work to do to live up to the hype we’ve given them?

From the half of the game I saw, there were lots of no gains or scrambles to make something of nothing.

I get the vibe that we have an OL for running between the tackles, but our runners are edge guys.

Anyone else feel the OL is still figuring things out and still has some work to do to live up to the hype we’ve given them?

From the half of the game I saw, there were lots of no gains or scrambles to make something of nothing.

I get the vibe that we have an OL for running between the tackles, but our runners are edge guys.

Johnson might be an east-west type of Back, but I think Catania is a bw the Tackles runner.

It was a mix. However, I do not believe he has happy feet where he just takes off if his 1st option in the progression is covered. Most of his yards off scrambles were due to none of his WRs being open. There was one particular play, the Corner/Flat Route combo Elder runs off the Bootleg that Cathedral had perfectly covered. He was able to take see that and take off for a 10 yd gain.

The only thing I’d want him to do differently is slide or get out of bounds to avoid contact

Last edited:
given he’s not an exceptional passer and likely has more confidence in using his feet.
I don't necessarily agree with this. He throws the ball very well but is not afraid to run with it if he has to. He's a very elusive runner so it's hard to get a clean shot on him.

Shout out to #8 who had some key blocks to keep plays alive last night.

I don't necessarily agree with this. He throws the ball very well but is not afraid to run with it if he has to. He's a very elusive runner so it's hard to get a clean shot on him.

That’s David Larkins, he also recovered the fumble to end the game. He’s a stud

CHS has a very good defense, maybe the best Elder will see until they play Winton Woods. Overall I would say our offense played very well.

After two weeks I don't think we have seen the full potential of this offense. So many weapons, the best is yet to come.

After two weeks I don't think we have seen the full potential of this offense. So many weapons, the best is yet to come.
That all hinges on Luebbe continuing to develop as a Passer. He only made one bad decision last night, but it was a big mistake that altered the momentum of the game. And those types of mistakes will happen with a relatively new starting QB.

It was a mix. However, I do not believe he has happy feet where he just takes off if his 1st option in the progression is covered. Most of his yards off scrambles were due to none of his WRs being open. There was one particular play, the Corner/Flat Route combo Elder runs off the Bootleg that Cathedral had perfectly covered. He was able to take see that and take off for a 10 yd gain.

The only thing I’d want him to do differently is slide or get out of bounds to avoid contact
I didn’t mean happy feet, I meant rather than force the ball or throw it away, he likely has great confidence in his ability to pull the ball down and make something happen.

I can’t really argue not having seen either game. The stats thus far don’t really show him as an exceptional passer though.

That all hinges on Luebbe continuing to develop as a Passer. He only made one bad decision last night, but it was a big mistake that altered the momentum of the game. And those types of mistakes will happen with a relatively new starting QB.
Ramsey took the blame himself for that one, "going to the well one too many times." That was his quote from the Cincinnati.com article. Yes Luebbe stared down the WR, but they ran that play 2-3 times in the 1st half, the Cathedral FS just jumped the route and made a play.

They said he had 16 rushing attempts? I would figure 10-12 of those were by design. Others were him using his feet after dropping back to pass and seeing nothing open. Liked the wrinkle on one of the TDs late in the game, little personnel switch and zone read.

Ramsey took the blame himself for that one, "going to the well one too many times." That was his quote from the Cincinnati.com article. Yes Luebbe stared down the WR, but they ran that play 2-3 times in the 1st half, the Cathedral FS just jumped the route and made a play.

The Cathedral DBs were definitely jumping the Routes run by Royer. I wish Elder could’ve gotten them with a double move, bc that would’ve been open.

The Cathedral DBs were definitely jumping the Routes run by Royer. I wish Elder could’ve gotten them with a double move, bc that would’ve been open.
Ramsey adjusted. The post to Vollmer in the 4th - that was damn near a TD - was followed up with a big 3rd and 9 conversion on the final drive to Royer where Vollmer ran the post behind him and opened up the middle for Joe. Royer is obviously a hell of a WR, but they've got to use the entire WR corps. Need to find a way to get Vollmer, Dakota, Ramsey and even Larkins more involved in the passing game. If they're able to do that, not sure they're going to be stopped unless they stop themselves.