Week 2: Elder vs Indianapolis Cathedral

Initially I thought Indy got the fumble, but after watching the replay a couple of times, I think it was the correct call.

Yeah, count me in with you guys on that last play. Looked like the Cathedral QB recovered that ball. Seems like the officials should have talked that over. One of them had to have seen it better.

On a night when they turned it over and had a punt blocked giving Cathedral short fields, Elder found a way to win. Really liking some of the new wrinkles I see in the offense.

Yeah, 12 had the ball back but Larkins made a nice play to deke the official. I think Elder would have won anyway.

Yeah, count me in with you guys on that last play. Looked like the Cathedral QB recovered that ball. Seems like the officials should have talked that over. One of them had to have seen it better.

On a night when they turned it over and had a punt blocked giving Cathedral short fields, Elder found a way to win. Really liking some of the new wrinkles I see in the offense.
It looked like our defender yank it from the QB while they were both on the ground. By the time the ref got close enough to them, our guy had the job. I think Cathedral got hosed on that one. Should have been 4th and 5 from the 15. That said, I’ll take the win. Bad calls usually have a way of evening out over the course of a season and I’m sure that we’ve got some coming our way.

Initially I thought Indy got the fumble, but after watching the replay a couple of times, I think it was the correct call.
As soon as he gains possession at all, play is dead. I thought he did enough to secure the ball.

Yeah, 12 had the ball back but Larkins made a nice play to deke the official. I think Elder would have won anyway.
it would’ve only been 4th and about 5 and the Cathedral Offense moved the ball regularly.

If they’re playing guys both ways, I’d like to see Ramsey play Rover or OLB. They need speed out there. There’s were some missed tackles that lead to big plays. On one of Cathedral’s TDs, the RB just ran right by the Elder LB.

Wow, looked like a very questionable fumble on the stream. Great win for Elder though.
Was definitely a fumble but I thought Cathedral regained possession and the player was down on a knee. Would have been 4th and long for Cathedral, but I understand the frustration in not getting the chance.

I talked to two different people on the way out of the stadium and all of agreed Cathedral recovered. I honestly think the refs were tired and wanted to go home. I finally looked at my watch and it was 10:18 when that happened.

Cathedral is a dang good team, I wish them the best.

Tonight we will finally see how good this defense is. No one knows, not fans, not coaches, not players. It's a mystery. Elder scrimmaged a terrible Walnut Hills team, a below average Anderson team, and a below average Gahanna Lincoln team. Cathedral may not be great on offense, but they do have a good QB, a big offensive line, and a little speed at the skill positions. If Cathedral can slow down Elder a little and force a couple turnovers, it could spell trouble, because I think Cathedral is going to move the ball and put up at least 21-28. I hope I'm wrong and Elder shuts Cathedral offense down.

We have a mediocre defense and an exceptional offense. It can be enough to make a run.

Perhaps CHS can answer this, but I got the feeling if Cath scored, they were going to go for 2 to end the game.

We have a mediocre defense and an exceptional offense. It can be enough to make a run.
If everyone stays healthy. I think there’s some personnel movements they can make that will make the D more than mediocre. Keep Larkins at DE for the bulk of his snaps, play Ramsey at OLB/Rover a bit.

I do think you have to give Cathedral credit as well. They’re no slouch, they’ve got one of the bigger OLs Elder will see all yr.

Also, Haarmeyer deserves a shout out. Hitting the FG to tie the game at the (basically) the end of Regulation took balls of steel. He also hit all of his PATs.

If everyone stays healthy. I think there’s some personnel movements they can make that will make the D more than mediocre. Keep Larkins at DE for the bulk of his snaps, play Ramsey at OLB/Rover a bit.

I do think you have to give Cathedral credit as well. They’re no slouch, they’ve got one of the bigger OLs Elder will see all yr.

Luebbe 14-22 with 2 interception, but he had 16 carries for 98 yards rushing. If only they had a Division 1 caliber passer at Elder(according to a neutral yappi poster).

Luebbe 14-22 with 2 interception, but he had 16 carries for 98 yards rushing. If only they had a Division 1 caliber passer at Elder(according to a neutral yappi poster).
One of those Ints wasn’t his fault. The 2nd was a bad decision, but that happens when this is only you’re 3rd start in this Offense (going back to the Colerain game).

Luebbe is more than capable of leading this Offense. They need help with the Pass Rush above anything else. The Corners and Thaman played a solid game in coverage sans one long pass. Thomas is going to be really good as he progresses through his career.

Was definitely a fumble but I thought Cathedral regained possession and the player was down on a knee. Would have been 4th and long for Cathedral, but I understand the frustration in not getting the chance.
Bad wording on my part. Definitely a fumble but looked like Cathedral recovered it.

I talked to two different people on the way out of the stadium and all of agreed Cathedral recovered. I honestly think the refs were tired and wanted to go home. I finally looked at my watch and it was 10:18 when that happened.

Cathedral is a dang good team, I wish them the best.

Congratulations to the Elder Panthers on a hard fought victory, they are a very good team! That was definitely a great game, pretty much just like last year a battle back and forth. In all honesty there really isn't much to complain about with that last play. To start with I felt the officiating crew did a very fantastic job the entire game. Yes from my angle it looked as if our QB recovered the ball and was down, but the Elder defender did what any smart football player would do and snatch it from them and make it look as though they recovered a loose ball in hopes the official didn't have a good look. Aside from any of that a little more focus and the snap wouldn't have been fumbled, but the great thing this is a learning experience and teaching moment of why the little things are crucial. That was the first turnover of the night for the Irish.

I felt the 2 of the bigger points in the game were when the Irish didn't convert points from one of the Elder turnovers, and a not so great attempt at an onside kick while up 14-7. I personally wouldn't have tried the onside kick at that point, but I understand why the coaches did attempt it with the momentum they had. Unfortunately it was not a very good kick on the ball and gave Elder the ball at the 50.

I do not think Elder's defense is mediocre they are a solid defense that will likely only get better. How about that punt in the 1st quarter (in Pat McAfee words "For the Brand") he drops a dime that hits at the 5 and goes out of bounds at the half yard line!! That really put the Irish back on their heels, yes our punter shanked for a 6 yard punt, but he was in a tough spot trying to rush a kick (he usually is a steady punter). I was of course impressed again this year with #7 Luebbe he is very quick. I thought the Irish defense did a good job of containing him at moments, but he is an athlete that makes great plays and did just that in a couple of crucial moments (Elder pinned 3rd and very long and he rips off a big run for a 1st down). However #11 Royer what a player! It is very nice for a QB to have a great safety valve like he is, that kid was tremendous, love to watch him on Saturday's in the near future. Also for a Soph #12 Ramsey does not play like a Soph! Elder is a very good football team and will only get better! I wish them the best of luck, every fan I spoke to was just awesome!

As for Cathedral even with a 38-31 overtime loss I was very proud of our Irish! I think they showed they can fight through adversity, and are mentally tough. What was suppose to be a 2 hour bus ride turns into a 4 hour bus ride, and short warm up period. I thought they came out and played fantastic, every time they would go down in the game they would fight right back. I am very proud of #12 Edwards this kid has worked hard to be a good QB, I was happy he ran a little more tonight. He sometimes lat year would want to focus so hard on passing he would miss open running lanes, he definitely has shown his growth and maturity as a QB. Our Safety #25 Means is a joy to watch play football had 2 Int's and he brings a load when he tackles. I thought the Irish front 6 did a tremendous job for most of the game, that was a very good O-line Elder had and we were making them work hard. Offensively our RB #20 Hall is very fast himself thought he rebounded well from a not so great game last week, and our north and south RB Langdon ran hard. At WR all 3 Perry, Thomas, and Jordan played well (Thomas almost made an outstanding one handed grab). They all will continue to get better. They have some more tough tests coming up: rivalry game with Chatard next week, at St. X the following week, Louisville Trinity in 4 weeks, and Center Grove to close the season. We finally get to wear our blue jersey's next week after 3 straight road games!

Both teams look to have stayed healthy coming out of this game! I only wish the best for Elder and the rest of their season! Vincent and Regina take care my friend!

Is there any word on the series being extended? Both Programs have a great deal of respect for one another and benefit greatly from the games being played.

Is there any word on the series being extended? Both Programs have a great deal of respect for one another and benefit greatly from the games being played.

Sure hope so. Good test for both Teams. Will Elder be losing Winton Woods because they are joining a League next year?

Congratulations to the Elder Panthers on a hard fought victory, they are a very good team! That was definitely a great game, pretty much just like last year a battle back and forth. In all honesty there really isn't much to complain about with that last play. To start with I felt the officiating crew did a very fantastic job the entire game. Yes from my angle it looked as if our QB recovered the ball and was down, but the Elder defender did what any smart football player would do and snatch it from them and make it look as though they recovered a loose ball in hopes the official didn't have a good look. Aside from any of that a little more focus and the snap wouldn't have been fumbled, but the great thing this is a learning experience and teaching moment of why the little things are crucial. That was the first turnover of the night for the Irish.

I felt the 2 of the bigger points in the game were when the Irish didn't convert points from one of the Elder turnovers, and a not so great attempt at an onside kick while up 14-7. I personally wouldn't have tried the onside kick at that point, but I understand why the coaches did attempt it with the momentum they had. Unfortunately it was not a very good kick on the ball and gave Elder the ball at the 50.

I do not think Elder's defense is mediocre they are a solid defense that will likely only get better. How about that punt in the 1st quarter (in Pat McAfee words "For the Brand") he drops a dime that hits at the 5 and goes out of bounds at the half yard line!! That really put the Irish back on their heels, yes our punter shanked for a 6 yard punt, but he was in a tough spot trying to rush a kick (he usually is a steady punter). I was of course impressed again this year with #7 Luebbe he is very quick. I thought the Irish defense did a good job of containing him at moments, but he is an athlete that makes great plays and did just that in a couple of crucial moments (Elder pinned 3rd and very long and he rips off a big run for a 1st down). However #11 Royer what a player! It is very nice for a QB to have a great safety valve like he is, that kid was tremendous, love to watch him on Saturday's in the near future. Also for a Soph #12 Ramsey does not play like a Soph! Elder is a very good football team and will only get better! I wish them the best of luck, every fan I spoke to was just awesome!

As for Cathedral even with a 38-31 overtime loss I was very proud of our Irish! I think they showed they can fight through adversity, and are mentally tough. What was suppose to be a 2 hour bus ride turns into a 4 hour bus ride, and short warm up period. I thought they came out and played fantastic, every time they would go down in the game they would fight right back. I am very proud of #12 Edwards this kid has worked hard to be a good QB, I was happy he ran a little more tonight. He sometimes lat year would want to focus so hard on passing he would miss open running lanes, he definitely has shown his growth and maturity as a QB. Our Safety #25 Means is a joy to watch play football had 2 Int's and he brings a load when he tackles. I thought the Irish front 6 did a tremendous job for most of the game, that was a very good O-line Elder had and we were making them work hard. Offensively our RB #20 Hall is very fast himself thought he rebounded well from a not so great game last week, and our north and south RB Langdon ran hard. At WR all 3 Perry, Thomas, and Jordan played well (Thomas almost made an outstanding one handed grab). They all will continue to get better. They have some more tough tests coming up: rivalry game with Chatard next week, at St. X the following week, Louisville Trinity in 4 weeks, and Center Grove to close the season. We finally get to wear our blue jersey's next week after 3 straight road games!

Both teams look to have stayed healthy coming out of this game! I only wish the best for Elder and the rest of their season! Vincent and Regina take care my friend!

Hope you enjoyed the night at The Pit!

Great analysis. I hope this series continues.

I hope your dad got to watch online and you enjoyed your visit. Last week on my way to Columbus my 2 hour drive turned into a 4 hour drive and I got to visit some backroads in Ohio I have never seen before. I have made the drive to Indy many times to go to the 500 and that drive is one of my favorite drives.

My seat are on the 2 yard line and that first punt by Elder was awesome. Probably the best punt I have ever seen. Your #20 is so speedy. He had some wheels that might get him into the fast 9 next year at the Speedway.

When I looked at the stats, they were so even, I thought it was fitting that the game went to OT. I know Elder will be rooting for you the rest of the season and really a lot in two weeks when you come back to Cincy on Northbend Rd.

I do not think Elder's defense is mediocre they are a solid defense that will likely only get better.

Granted I've only watched the Elder defense for one half on a laptop, but I agree it's not mediocre and will get better. They're not that fast, but they're serviceable, especially with an offense like they have.

Great analysis. I hope this series continues.

I hope your dad got to watch online and you enjoyed your visit. Last week on my way to Columbus my 2 hour drive turned into a 4 hour drive and I got to visit some backroads in Ohio I have never seen before. I have made the drive to Indy many times to go to the 500 and that drive is one of my favorite drives.

My seat are on the 2 yard line and that first punt by Elder was awesome. Probably the best punt I have ever seen. Your #20 is so speedy. He had some wheels that might get him into the fast 9 next year at the Speedway.

When I looked at the stats, they were so even, I thought it was fitting that the game went to OT. I know Elder will be rooting for you the rest of the season and really a lot in two weeks when you come back to Cincy on Northbend Rd.

Yes he did get to watch the game online, and he actually mentioned the announcers did a very good job. I always enjoy making the trip to The Pit it has a terrific atmosphere about it, and in my experience the Elder fans and parents are a pure joy. I definitely hope the series continues. By the way you can't beat the month of May in Indy.

The production value of the live stream is getting to be really good. The cameras at field level are a great addition. Only complaint is that they can't get the clock to work in real time, it only shows the minutes rounded up, like 12:00, 11:00, 10:00. Is there a reason for this?

Didn’t see the game or the stats, but 16 carries and nearly 100 yards, likely made him the leading carrier in attempts and yards, correct?

The production value of the live stream is getting to be really good. The cameras at field level are a great addition. Only complaint is that they can't get the clock to work in real time, it only shows the minutes rounded up, like 12:00, 11:00, 10:00. Is there a reason for this?
In the past, the hardware to connect to the scoreboard clock from the streaming computer was very expensive. Now though it seems much more commonplace and with recent upgrades to the scoreboard and streaming setup it could be a possibility.