Week 2 Cleveland Glenville (0-1) @ Solon (1-0)

Valentino has the cramping answer. It's a feature story in Sport-Heute in Switzerland. And either the dill pickle juice alone or the pickle itself will work - take your choice.

http://translate.google.com/transla.../zum_fruehstueck_drei,_vier_essig-gurken.html
[oldline70 should like this one!]

During these hot August and September games I know a trainer who has a couple of squeeze bottles of mustard on the sidelines to deal with cramping. Believe it or not it works.

40-23 when we left. Glenville WON the battle of the trenches, but the size difference was totally obvious. Their athleticism , especially on receptions was great, Solon dropped a touch down pass, another was overthrown, and had so many missed tackles. Tarblooders ran hard, had blocking, and the Comets just didn't match up for four quarters. There will probably be an after game thread by Meta, or a Glenville fan, but all I can say was my prediction for this game didn't match my commentary before the game, or after the Shaker game, or all spring. No more trivial declarations. Solon needs to adjust to the work in progress now.

The Comets lost too many starters to graduation, and especially most of their size and experience. And their defense shows it more.

They will not give up I'm sure. You can bet on that.

Football

Solon coaches are terrible you guys have great receivers and you don't know how to use you run the same tired old place every week:shrug: :shrug:

Coaches lose games - kids win them????

Solon coaches are terrible you guys have great receivers and you don't know how to use you run the same tired old place every week:shrug: :shrug:

You & others have this feeling about Solon coaches. You have a right to an opinion.

My opinion is not so 'coach critical". In fact the defensive coach is outstanding; as good as many college coordinators.

McQuade lost his 5th home game tonight. He has been head coach for 45 home wins though!

Solon needs to turn this around,with Akron Buchtel and North Royalton their next two games they can easily start the season 1-3.

For what it's worth, here is my take on this game. Solon was poorly prepared. By that I mean the game plan. It is true our Oline is a bit inexperienced. Solon does have tremendous skill players. How many times on first down can you possibly run a dive up the middle or off tackle? Seems that was their plan! You have got to play to your strengths. Solons strength is their athletes, period. How many misdirection plays did they run? Even a reverse or even a counter. Glenville is very fast, no doubt. They tend to be over aggressive though and one could even say undisciplined. Wouldn't it make sense to use that to your advantage?!?! I saw NONE of that. A great coach can make a good team GREAT. An elite coach can make a great team ELITE. This is not a personal attack on the coach or coaches. With very good classes coming up I feel something has to give. Just one other thought. If Glenville could snap the ball on punts, this would have been a huge blowout! Agreed?

You weren't the only one screaming for misdirection, or reverses, but you put Crenshaw with Glenville's line , then what? Touchdowns.

Anyway Glenville's skill players certainly showed up. #4 at QB, their receivers, and their defensive backs.

If a few passes are not overthrown or underthrown, or not dropped, maybe it's a close game. Same with interceptions.

No matter what, size matters!

While not a lock, Glenville at 8-2 will be in low 20's and likely in playoffs. Their 8-2 will keep them ahead of most 7-3 teams. The way I see it as long as 8 other teams don't get to 8 wins (Eds would only need 7) they should be in.

Brecksville loss helped along those lines. Will be difficult for Bees to be better than 7-3.

While I think Glenville is likely in at 8-2, I think most people were making the prediction of Glenville being in with a win over one of their three non-Senate opponents and that opponent being an 8-2 or 7-3 team at worst. Based on the first two weeks, I don't think you can assume Solon wins more than 5 games. I see four potential losses on their schedule still. Solon might not be the Harbin jackpot people assumed at the start of the year.

While not a lock, Glenville at 8-2 will be in low 20's and likely in playoffs. Their 8-2 will keep them ahead of most 7-3 teams. The way I see it as long as 8 other teams don't get to 8 wins (Eds would only need 7) they should be in.

Brecksville loss helped along those lines. Will be difficult for Bees to be better than 7-3.

I would be remiss if I didn't give Yowza's to Marshon Lattimore, the brilliant receiver-defensive back for the Tarblooders. He was the star of the night, having scores on receptions of34, 35, and41 yards,plus an 80 yd. run. yowee!

Solon's defensive line was valiant in giving their all, but they were just overpowered, linebackers, except for Berry, are just not getting it done, and defensive backfield, they haven't been able to make up for the loss of Schwenke, Stuart, and Kresevic. We are missing tacling and coverage period out there.

Nope, Sensibaugh is coming on, he is a soph. i have to step back and give these young kids some time, just emotion.

Too Much Tar Leaves Blood on Field

Stayed up way, way past bedtime to watch the Comets & post on the big wrap but; is there a power outage in Kent? Can't wait any longer:

Glenville's Lattimore, a junior runner/catcher really did it all. Did any of the offensive tackles or guards for Glenville every see the ground? I had predicted some chop blocks but... If Glenville rushed Solon's midget punter every time, the outcome would have been worse. The Tarblooder's free-wheeling type of play when they get ahead results in big wins!

The three Comets with all the recruiting attention had troubles; and it wasn't just cramping although it was a bad night to have guys going both ways.

Crenshaw did the best but he had cramps too.
Coach wanted to get ball to Hicks but players couldn't.
Barksdale threw the "too ball". Too high, too short, too left/right & he was better than the 2nd choice QB! Drew played 4th qtr at 75% with cramps. He had 3 completions for 39 yds, one dropped TD & 9 "too balls". G'Ville had 223 yds.passing.
And the toughest & shortest night was Safety, #2, Byrd. Not sure what he was doing. His two defensive plays were when the ball carrier ran into him. Was he hurt the 2nd half?

Great for me to see the Comets but they were too small for that game, for their ranking and therefore for much playoff success. Realizing that the height & weight in the program is rounded upward, Solon only has 10 kids over 6' with maybe half playing.They will have some nice wins but the stars can only shine with help & the Blue Moon of August at Stewart Field is not the help that is meant.

Finally, it's hard to coach against momentum. A game plan can't unfold so it looks like it wasn't or it was the wrong one. Imagine one single thing;if the QB would not have choked so often. The Comets could have won the game & we would read about how great they played. Instead it is said that (sometimes by previously jilted players) that McQuade lost it. Yes, he is responsible for 5 losses now at home and the players have 45 wins!

Stayed up way, way past bedtime to watch the Comets & post on the big wrap but; is there a power outage in Kent? Can't wait any longer:

Glenville's Lattimore, a junior runner/catcher really did it all. Did any of the offensive tackles or guards for Glenville every see the ground? I had predicted some chop blocks but... If Glenville rushed Solon's midget punter every time, the outcome would have been worse. The Tarblooder's free-wheeling type of play when they get ahead results in big wins!

The three Comets with all the recruiting attention had troubles; and it wasn't just cramping although it was a bad night to have guys going both ways.

Crenshaw did the best but he had cramps too.
Coach wanted to get ball to Hicks but players couldn't.
Barksdale threw the "too ball". Too high, too short, too left/right & he was better than the 2nd choice QB! Drew played 4th qtr at 75% with cramps. He had 3 completions for 39 yds, one dropped TD & 9 "too balls". G'Ville had 223 yds.passing.
And the toughest & shortest night was Safety, #2, Byrd. Not sure what he was doing. His two defensive plays were when the ball carrier ran into him. Was he hurt the 2nd half?

Great for me to see the Comets but they were too small for that game, for their ranking and therefore for much playoff success. Realizing that the height & weight in the program is rounded upward, Solon only has 10 kids over 6' with maybe half playing.They will have some nice wins but the stars can only shine with help & the Blue Moon of August at Stewart Field is not the help that is meant.

Finally, it's hard to coach against momentum. A game plan can't unfold so it looks like it wasn't or it was the wrong one. Imagine one single thing;if the QB would not have choked so often. The Comets could have won the game & we would read about how great they played. Instead it is said that (sometimes by previously jilted players) that McQuade lost it. Yes, he is responsible for 5 losses now at home and the players have 45 wins!

Imagine this one single thing..... If G-Ville could get a punt off, Solon may have been shut out. Can you pass the vanilla please?!?!?! Solon had all the early momentum and got hammered. Listen, every team every year loses players to graduation. Tired of the excuses. The offensive game plan was a joke. Glenville turned their athletes loose. We dove ours up the F%^$^&ING middle!!!

For what it's worth, here is my take on this game. Solon was poorly prepared. By that I mean the game plan. It is true our Oline is a bit inexperienced. Solon does have tremendous skill players. How many times on first down can you possibly run a dive up the middle or off tackle? Seems that was their plan! You have got to play to your strengths. Solons strength is their athletes, period. How many misdirection plays did they run? Even a reverse or even a counter. Glenville is very fast, no doubt. They tend to be over aggressive though and one could even say undisciplined. Wouldn't it make sense to use that to your advantage?!?! I saw NONE of that. A great coach can make a good team GREAT. An elite coach can make a great team ELITE. This is not a personal attack on the coach or coaches. With very good classes coming up I feel something has to give. Just one other thought. If Glenville could snap the ball on punts, this would have been a huge blowout! Agreed?

Post of the day right here. Sums it up right here. Comets need to bring in Solis to take over the offense from McQuade or just go out and bring in a new Head Coach, Cleveland Height's Rotsky is the first choice that comes to mind. Every year under McQuade they run power run formations to death even when the offensive line and power running are not strengths of the team. That is just bad coaching, period. And MapleStang, the answer to your question is yes they most certainly would have been shut out if not for Glenville's lack of special teams.

Hmmm, anonymous posters showing their grit and fire. Does anyone know who you guys are? Yeah Rotsky and Solis are going to win with these lineman, etc. We don't have open enrollment for those coachs to enjoy in Solon.

Anyway, I have been down this road before. And they all know me. Last coach Byron Morgon , the AD, and the coachs.

Whatever!

Put Barksdale on the bench. He is an athlete...not a QB. Have him return kicks. Heck...when he was on defense, he was "just standing there" as the play was heading towards him. Move to the ball carrier!! He can't throw with any accuracy. He is not a leader. He blames his receivers everytime he throws the ball. Ball under thrown...yell at the receiver. Ball overthrown...yell at the receiver. Coach tries to talk to him on the sideline and he just walks away laughing at coach. What does Boston College see in him?

Is there not a true QB on the roster? A school this size has to have a couple kids who can throw the ball, read a defense, run an effective play.

What's with all the cramping? Drink your fluids boys!!! Eat a banana. This is completely unacceptable. I blame the coaches and training staff.

This is the smallest offensive line I've seen at Solon. Not the kids' fault that they're undersized. Despite their lack of size, they look like a strong bunch that can give the QB some time to throw (QB just can't throw). Look at your strenghts, and maximize them Coach McQuaide!!!

Defensively, WAKE UP. Tackle someone. Yes...Glenville is fast. You're getting killed by the big play. Don't just stand there and try to arm tackle them. That's not going to work. HIT SOMEONE!

Good thing Buchtel is next week. This team needs a confidence boost. They're not getting the motivation from the head coach. The number of hanging heads on the sidelines is evidence of this.

Chin up boys. I'm pulling for you and the playoffs are still a possibility. You're going to have to play much, much better than weeks one and two if you want to get there.

Coaches

You & others have this feeling about Solon coaches. You have a right to an opinion.

My opinion is not so 'coach critical". In fact the defensive coach is outstanding; as good as many college coordinators.

McQuade lost his 5th home game tonight. He has been head coach for 45 home wins though!
Your Right the defensive coach is pretty good but I don't think kids should play both side off the field the hole game.40-17 why are your starters in the game/w 2min left

Please forgive me for not posting last night. I got home from the game and discovered that I had a computer problem that I was unable to solve until this afternoon, with tech help from Yappi, no less. :)

My report isn't as fresh as usual, and some of you have already touched on some points that I had wished to raise. But I'll try my best.

The Comets, obviously, are not playing well. They pulled a miracle out of the thin air to beat Shaker. Then, let's face it, they got stomped by Glenville. I agree with those who claim the Tarblooders would have shut Solon out if only they could punt.

Right now, this looks like a 6-4 team. Solon is weak in just so many areas. I thought that our seniors, our stars, our returning starters would lead the young guys, and set an example and will this team to success. But the kids look confused, tentative, and lacking in confidence. Our star players must step up!! Not just at the end of the game, as Hicks and Barksdale did last week vs. Shaker. But every play, every moment.

I think we all agree that Solon's offense is a poor fit for the personnel. We've got a 155-pound tailback, the state sprint champ, trying to run between the tackles behind a bunch of 210, 220 pound linemen. The linemen are getting stood up, running lanes are clogged and Crenshaw has nowhere to go. And he's not strong enough to break tackles at the line.

Our quarterback is an outstanding runner, but a tentative passer. Most plays, he's under center. When he drops back to pass, he turns his back to the line and goes through his progression. When he looks up, the rush is on him and he panics and throws too soon, and to no one.

Solon should be in a spread. Barksdale should be in the shotgun, where he can eyeball both his receivers and the defense. The Comets should be running some misdirection and counters, yes. But I believe the best thing would be to attack open spaces in the D. We should do what Brunswick did a few years ago when Sean Bedevelsky played QB. Stretch the line with wide splits, really wide. Send Crenshaw, Berry and Barksdale through the open spaces on quick-developing plays. Throw quick slants and bubble screens. Run jet sweeps with Crenshaw.

We're not getting anything from our running game right now. Crenshaw gained 34 yards in 17 carries vs. Shaker, and 16 yards came on one try. If not for that, he would have had 16 carries for 18 yards. If Solon must run between the tackles, then Berry should be the tailback.

Solon's running game was inconsistent last year, and that was with Hoff, Stock and Hill playing on the line. Why would anyone think we'd be successful running the same plays with younger, smaller linemen?

I don't know what could be done to improve the O-line. Maybe play Desmond Holmes at tackle. He's the biggest guy on the team, by over 30 pounds. He started the scrimmages, and I thought he looked OK. But he got benched early in the Elyria scrimmage and banished to the JV. I'm not sure what's up with that. But I believe he's got a higher ceiling than most of the guys starting now.

The defense has been bad. I can't sugarcoat it. This is the worst Comet defense I've seen in years; maybe since the mid-'80s. The best players are the two ends, Pastor and Reynolds. I really like what I've seen from the soph MLB, John Sensibaugh, though he's much too small for the position. Shiloh Smalls-Moore and Berry have made some outstanding plays, but have also missed some key tackles. The freshman tackle, Ben Peterson, shows enormous potential but he, like the others, was overmatched by Glenville's huge linemen.

No one else is playing well. The linebacker corps is undersized. But it was undersized last year, too, and it was one of the best units on the team. Nick Davidson is sorely missed on the outside.

The secondary has been downright terrible. Yes, Glenville's receivers were a tough matchup. But Solon's DBs aren't breaking on the ball. They're not challenging receivers, they're not tackling.

One of the other posters commented about Solon's all-around terrible tackling and I agree 100 percent.

Opponents are rarely throwing in Hicks' direction. But the guys playing the other corner and the safeties are getting torched. All four starters need to step up, bigtime. Solon spent much of Friday's game with two backups playing safety. Those poor kids were completely out of their element trying to cover Lattimore from Glenville. It certainly wasn't their fault. They were asked to do too much.

Right now, I can't help but think that Mentor is going to walk all over Solon. It pains me to say that and I hope that somehow, the Comets prove me wrong. But I don't like our chances against North Royalton or Brunswick a whole lot better.

I hope the coaches are flexible and innovative enough to consider some changes, both to the gameplans and the lineup. The status quo isn't working.

And I hope the kids are proud enough to be Comets that they sell out on the field and at practice, and do everything possible to turn this season around and make it a success.

Last edited: