Week 2 Cleveland Glenville (0-1) @ Solon (1-0)

GCP441

After both these teams past weekend performances,is there really a clear cut favorite in this game? Would it be safe to say that this is a must game for Glenville? Not so much a must game for Solon,but its obvious they cannot repeat the same effort with Glenville as they did with Shaker.

I think i might take in this game this friday evening since Cleveland Heights doesn't play until the following Saturday afternoon against Clev John Adams at John Carroll Univ (a home game).

I'm predicting that Glenville won't over come the turnover bug and Solon wins at home. I don't believe Solon will wait until 9 seconds left in the game.

BTW does Glenville have a kicker yet?

Both teams probably feel they need to win this game. In reality, Glenville really does need to win - but Solon isn't too far behind. From the perspective of Glenville, they needed to win one of their three non-conference games. After Week 1, there is no question that Solon is a much more winnable game than Ignatius - so Glenville has to get this game if they want to avoid missing the playoffs a second consecutive season.

Solon doesn't have to win to be in position to make the playoffs, but it would go a long way if they did win. Wins over Shaker (looks to be at least a 6 win team) and Glenville (7 win team) would be a great way to start the season. A loss to Glenville could be an indicator Solon's weaknesses are for real and they may have trouble throghout the season against Mentor and Twinsburg.

As usual, Glenville will need to avoid the mistakes to give themselves a shot to win. The game versus St. Edward got out of hand with the turnovers, and you could see the wind coming out of the Glenville players sails. They had all the momentum early until, running the ball well and hitting a few big pass plays, but consecutive series of turnovers in their own territory gave St. Edward life. There are not an abundance of "star" players, but enough athletes to give teams fits. Shaker Heights may have been a good wakeup call for this Solon team heading into this matchup.

After both these teams past weekend performances,is there really a clear cut favorite in this game? Would it be safe to say that this is a must game for Glenville? Not so much a must game for Solon,but its obvious they cannot repeat the same effort with Glenville as they did with Shaker.

I think i might take in this game this friday evening since Cleveland Heights doesn't play until the following Saturday afternoon against Clev John Adams at John Carroll Univ (a home game).

I'm predicting that Glenville won't over come the turnover bug and Solon wins at home. I don't believe Solon will wait until 9 seconds left in the game.

BTW does Glenville have a kicker yet?

Their "Kicker" goes about 6'6, 350lbs. His kickoffs were low and short, and they did not attempt a PAT after either TD.

Geez a Cleveland Hts. poster doing a Solon home game thread? How about at least a Glenville poster? Where is mac? What is this site coming to? ;) I already posted about this game Friday night on the Solon 2012 thread and two or three others, but this game is also important to Solon. The size and weight difference is HUGE, (pardon the pun) and Solon must find offensive line "ways" to open some holes for Crenshaw, Berry, other backs, and the QB. And pass protect also. They had their troubles with Shaker Hts. and Elyria, and neither of those teams have Tarblooder size.

Solon's defense has to really step up another notch too. And the kicking game will be super important. All sounds obvious and possibly trite, right?

You all should have been at Stewart Field last Friday night. Those miraculous last 2 minute heroics just might be too late this Friday.

It's About Time

Looking forward to seeing the game on delay on STO.

Despite preseason rankings, seems hard to figure Solon with such a new O-line. They certainly can give up and/or score in a hurry. Either team can put 14 on the board after the WARNING - the 2-minutes to play one!!!

Here are some things I'll watch for:

a) A Glenville player will lose the ball, a shoe, a helmet & his temper

b) Solon might not be called for Holding, but possibly Chop Blocking

c) Someone from Solon will receive a Sucker - punch, knee, etc

d) Will be a run more than 50 yds; & a run loss of more than 10 yds

e) Awaiting the latest high school thingie - play w/o a belt or at least losen it so that a tackler could pull your pants down & you could walk back to the huddle with pants below butt.

Enjoy what should be an exciting game, a scheduled matchup unheard of 5 years ago.
:party:

Looking forward to seeing the game on delay on STO.

Despite preseason rankings, seems hard to figure Solon with such a new O-line. They certainly can give up and/or score in a hurry. Either team can put 14 on the board after the WARNING - the 2-minutes to play one!!!

Here are some things I'll watch for:

a) A Glenville player will lose the ball, a shoe, a helmet & his temper

b) Solon might not be called for Holding, but possibly Chop Blocking

c) Someone from Solon will receive a Sucker - punch, knee, etc

d) Will be a run more than 50 yds; & a run loss of more than 10 yds

e) Awaiting the latest high school thingie - play w/o a belt or at least losen it so that a tackler could pull your pants down & you could walk back to the huddle with pants below butt.

Enjoy what should be an exciting game, a scheduled matchup unheard of 5 years ago.
:party:

Always entertaining, Grandpa.

Who is the Head Football Coach at Glenville now????

This is IUDOGS signing off.

Still Ginn Sr., although it appears that assistant Matt Chinchar speaks to the media on behalf of the team in Ginn's recent absence. Offensive coordinator Tony Overton appears to be the most active on the sidelines.

I think Solon wins fairly comfortably 35-20

I think you have the score backwards.

Look, I'm a Solon fan BUT anyone who saw the game against Shaker can't feel good about THIS Friday. 3-1/2 quarters of bad football can't be erased by 6 minutes of good football. We still don't have a running game (no blocking). Our DBs were beat twice for long TDs. Our O-line was lame until Pastor took over at right tackle and he can't go both ways for the entire game.

Glenville's DBs are much better than Shakers. Those long passes to Hicks that won the game aren't as likely to happen. And Barksdale and Hicks aren't likely to outrun the Glenville DBs. Glenville's lines are huge and they have speed at the skill positions. If they get past the line of scrimmage I don't think our LBs and DBs will be able to catch up. This may be the game where the Comets have to nut-up or shut-up.

I don't mean to be so negative. There are a lot of positives, but are there enough? Barksdale, Hicks, Byrd, Pastor, Berry, Hanna, etc are proven big-time players BUT the juniors and sophs have to step up ASAP. They can't be intimidated. They need to get mean and nasty.

Solon has a kicking game, Glenville does not. Solon's team speed is as good as anybody's. After all, we have the state 100-meter dash champion at tailback. We have the home field advantage and it's served the Comets well over the years. Glenville gets flustered and makes mistakes. The Comets usually don't. Lets hope the Comets can contain Glenville long enough for the Tarblooders to get frustrated and make mistakes.

I have a bad feeling about this game. Prove me wrong Comets.

Just for clarity's sake: Was Ted Ginn not on the sideline for Glenville's opener vs. St. Edward? That seems to be the gist of what I've read, but no one's actually said, "he wasn't there."

Just for clarity's sake: Was Ted Ginn not on the sideline for Glenville's opener vs. St. Edward? That seems to be the gist of what I've read, but no one's actually said, "he wasn't there."

I'm pretty sure I read in the PD that he telephoned the players during halftime. Hence, if what I think I read is correct, he was not at the game.

I'm not sure what to make of this week's game. Hurri and demolition man noted some concerns about Solon, and I must agree. Our offensive line is small and I'm very worried about how they'll compete vs. Glenville's huge D-line. Solon couldn't run the ball vs. Shaker, except for some improvisational runs by QB Drew Barksdale. It was that way late last year, too. The Comets are having trouble running between the tackles. They're having trouble moving the chains consistently.

I'm also worried about Glenville's giant O-line against our smallish D-line. I can only hope that the Tarblooders make the same kinds of mistakes against Solon that they did vs. St. Edward.

Glenville looked awfully good for the first 18 minutes of that game, before the Tarblooders imploded under their own mistakes.

I think Solon will somehow find a way to win this game. But the Comets will have to minimize the mistakes that they made last week vs. Shaker. They've got to execute to the best of their ability and let the Tarblooders beat themselves.

All Comet fans know that Barksdale and Darian Hicks will make big plays. But Solon will need Khoury Crenshaw, George Berry, C.J. Hanna and Kollyn Crenshaw to step up.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I read in the PD that he telephoned the players during halftime. Hence, if what I think I read is correct, he was not at the game.

I hope Ginn is on the sideline at Solon this Friday. And I hope his health is improving. For all of us who like to complain about Glenville (and I'm one), we can all agree that Ginn is a good, decent man, and that he's made high school football in Northeast Ohio more fun and more interesting.

Yowee, temperature @ game time predicted to be 90 degrees. Probably upper ninety's through first half. Please hydrate Thursday and Friday Comets.

We had enough players going down vs. Shaker with cramping, don't want that again.

Yowee, temperature @ game time predicted to be 90 degrees. Probably upper ninety's through first half. Please hydrate Thursday and Friday Comets.

We had enough players going down vs. Shaker with cramping, don't want that again.

Do you mean upper 80's? The high for the day that I am seeing is 91. Usually gets cooler as the sun goes down too. Shouldn't be terrible.

The Dill Pickle is the Answer

Valentino has the cramping answer. It's a feature story in Sport-Heute in Switzerland. And either the dill pickle juice alone or the pickle itself will work - take your choice.

http://translate.google.com/transla.../zum_fruehstueck_drei,_vier_essig-gurken.html
[oldline70 should like this one!]

What's up guys.

After last weeks turnover filled loss VS Ed's....I'd have to favor the more well coached Solon team in this one. Solon playing in the comforts of their home field also sways me that way too.

Really interested to see how Glenville fares against the Comets because if the turnovers continue ...the cliche'd view this team has by many observers will once again be upheld (You know, not well coached, undisciplined, unorginized)

As many have posted the Tarblooders actually started off well in the Ed's game then the abomination of turnovers began. Still can't get a handle as to what type of team we have...I think we'll know after Friday. I think what we do know is that Glenville falls well below the upper tier in region 1.

Would also help if Ginn Sr is back on the sidelines...but I know about as much as you guys in terms of the status of his health.

I think Solon wins this one somehow, some way. I'm counting on Glenville making it easier for the Comets by beating themselves. If the Tarblooders execute to perfection all night, then Solon is in trouble.

Last edited:
What's up guys.

After last weeks turnover filled loss VS Ed's....I'd have to favor the more well coached Solon team in this one. Solon playing in the comforts of their home field also sways me that way too.

Really interested to see how Glenville fares against the Comets because if the turnovers continue ...the cliche'd view this team has by many observers will once again be upheld (You know, not well coached, undisciplined, unorginized)

As many have posted the Tarblooders actually started off well in the Ed's game then the abomination of turnovers began. Still can't get a handle as to what type of team we have...I think we'll know after Friday. I think what we do know is that Glenville falls well below the upper tier in region 1.

Would also help if Ginn Sr is back on the sidelines...but I know about as much as you guys in terms of the status of his health.

mac, are you coming to Solon tonight?