Week 15 | Division VI State Semifinal: AP #6 Fort Frye (13-1) vs. AP #2 Kirtland (14-0)

Who wins?

• Kirtland

Votes: 61 88.4%
  • Fort Frye

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
Interesting. The vast majority of posters are picking the Hornets...big. And rightfully so. From past and present games and history, it would seem easy to do.

My question:
Is there anything wrong with predicting a big win based on past observations?

Looking forward to a Flyer/Hornet final.
Yes I'm looking ahead and assuming, but it's based on observations.

Interesting. The vast majority of posters are picking the Hornets...big. And rightfully so. From past and present games and history, it would seem easy to do.

My question:

You are right I based my score prediction on watching them against Dalton.
I understand that Dalton is not FF but I thought Dalton was decent & they got punked in the second half. I did not watch the Mogadore game but I saw they were up 30-0 at half. Word on FF is they are not at 100% and I don't think they as good as they have been in the past.
That's why I came up with 35-0 score. If FF were 100% I would still say Kirtland wins by 21.

My question:

I don’t think there’s anything “wrong” with it… Hard to be an observer and go on much else? This year has ended up as weird as it started if you ask me. There are some really good teams that have put up stinkers this year. And some surprising performances from teams that shouldn’t be quite “there” yet. (Delphos/Orrville if you will)

Fort Frye is one of those really good teams and seem a little dinged up right now.

But one of things that make FF so lethal happens to play right into the hands of what Kirtland always does well… My near running clock prediction is actually based on that (matchups) more than anything else…be it, past/history, current health.

The reason l asked is that I've see threads where the predicted losing team posters/followers seemed to take offense at it.
"Well l guess so n so team may as well not even show up"
"I guarantee that so n so team will not be intimidated and give it their all"

It's like saying your opinion based on past observations is somehow disrepecftul.
The homer effect… There’s always someone lurking out there to “white knight” for “their” team.

I have eyes. With all of todays content available, I’m not sure there’s much left to argue, but here I am…waiting for my next bout. Online. 😂

I agree with @Kirtland4580 regarding his enjoyment of football at this level. I don’t typically post a kids name unless I have something complimentary to point out. But that’s more of a personal rule. The adults (posters) are fair game, though. I don’t mind the chirping lol this is supposed to be fun.

The reason l asked is that I've see threads where the predicted losing team posters/followers seemed to take offense at it.
"Well l guess so n so team may as well not even show up"
"I guarantee that so n so team will not be intimidated and give it their all"

It's like saying your opinion based on past observations is somehow disrepecftul.
To quote Brad Paisley, you "crushed it."

After more than a few years on here it's also interesting to notice that the folks that are most "hurt" by an honest observation about who's likely to win/lose are the ones who are usually only active for a few seasons. Almost like they have a specific blood connection to that team . . . ;)

That said, VERY thankful Yappi didn't exist in the plastic face mask days of my youth. Have an uncle that would have used his real name & tried to setup back alley meetings to fight anyone that thought this team wasn't going to win 100-0. (Ironically his alma mater is WELL represented on this site & shares colors with Coldwater)

I have friends that know the inner workings at Benedictine pretty good. They have had their ear to the ground and Tiger is not remotely a candidate. If that is what they are hearing you can pretty much take it to the bank. That is not the kind of hire that would not leak out at a school like Benedictine. Plus if anybody knows Tiger he would not do that to Kirtland.

What people don't realize is he feels some of his best teams might be upcoming. There is some pretty good youth teams and the 8th grade Murder Hornets went unbeaten.
That 8th grade team has about 25 kids I think. And some pretty great players. They went undefeated in middle school playing the likes of Mentor, Euclid, Perry list goes on and on. #MurderHornets all the way.
Talk is some could play as freshman’s at the varsity level. All depends on how hard they work this off season in the weight room for sure.

That 8th grade team has about 25 kids I think. And some pretty great players. They went undefeated in middle school playing the likes of Mentor, Euclid, Perry list goes on and on. #MurderHornets all the way.
Talk is some could play as freshman’s at the varsity level. All depends on how hard they work this off season in the weight room for sure.
Normally I get a good scoff in when folks talk about what their JV & middle schoolers are doing. But here & in a few MAC spots, it is legit. Success breeds success in the right culture. Those schools all have a culture of WORK. Others do not & their success ebbs & flows with talent levels

They are very impressive. The kids play hard. They have a nice combination of size and skill players. They will be exciting to watch.

Not trying to take away from the game discussion but what level do you see Kirtland being competitive in the playoffs. D1, D2, or D3?
I feel they could win most games in division 2 but I don't know if they could beat St. Eds, Massillon or Hoban.

I definitely feel they could win the division 3 & 4 state championships. Am I that far off?

Kirtland better Buckle Up the ChinStrap.. Feel Good about FF taking them to the Posts.
Think this game will be the toughest Semi Kirtland has been in the Last 5 years.
LFG
Cadets

Not trying to take away from the game discussion but what level do you see Kirtland being competitive in the playoffs. D1, D2, or D3?
I feel they could win most games in division 2 but I don't know if they could beat St. Eds, Massillon or Hoban.

I definitely feel they could win the division 3 & 4 state championships. Am I that far off?
I think Kirtland could be competitive in division 4 and lower. Do I think they could win 4 - maybe. I think they would be competitive for a few rounds in 3 - but not a state champion contender.

I think Kirtland will be ready Saturday. I will be there. I know the kids will be prepared for the offense. I feel way more confident in Kirtland stopping FFs offense then I do seeing anybody stopping the Hornet offense. Should be a great night for football.

I think Kirtland could be competitive in division 4 and lower. Do I think they could win 4 - maybe. I think they would be competitive for a few rounds in 3 - but not a state champion contender.

I think Kirtland will be ready Saturday. I will be there. I know the kids will be prepared for the offense. I feel way more confident in Kirtland stopping FFs offense then I do seeing anybody stopping the Hornet offense. Should be a great night for football.
Maybe…I think Glenville (and a few others) would be a little too much. Agree they could win a few games in DIII
How would Kirtland match up against those 14-0 D V schools this year?
Pretty familiar with those teams, and history says…just fine. My guess is those schools are very happy about Kirtlands enrollment this year. ;)

Maybe…I think Glenville (and a few others) would be a little too much. Agree they could win a few games in DIII

Pretty familiar with those teams, and history says…just fine. My guess is those schools are very happy about Kirtlands enrollment this year. ;)
I think LC, SR, and Ironton this year are tougher than those schools in the past. I think comparable to 2021 Versailles team.

I think LC, SR, and Ironton this year are tougher than those schools in the past. I think comparable to 2021 Versailles team.
They could be. Kirtland just walked through a much bigger schedule this year than what they played against in the years they beat those teams too though.

It would be interesting to know if SR players would like a crack at kirtland this year?
Spoke with a few friends I have made over the years playing SR and they aren’t mad we moved a division but they say they need to beat the best to be the best. They would have liked playing us this year to see but I do know the whole team is planning on being there Saturday night since we get to play at there house.

According to my program I got from tonight’s game, Eric Huck is head coach of Fort Frye. His assistants include Chad Huck, Kyle Huck, and Brendan Huck. Players for the Cadets include Zaiden Huck, Maddox Huck, and Sebastian Huck.

For Kirtland, Tiger LaVerde is head coach of the Hornets. His son Jake plays quarterback and his other son Philip plays running back and linebacker.

Family ties abound on Saturday…
brother anyone GIF