Week 15 | Division VI State Semifinal: AP #6 Fort Frye (13-1) vs. AP #2 Kirtland (14-0)

Who wins?

• Kirtland

Votes: 61 88.4%
  • Fort Frye

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters

Kirtland4580

A great matchup in South Range next Saturday. From 2012 when Fort Frye first traveled to Kirtland and lost 49-7 to 2018 when the Cadets had a decent ballgame with the Hornets ending in a 35-18 defeat in the state semifinals, I expect an even closer affair this time around.

There will be lots of Hucks and lots of LaVerdes on the field next Saturday! Let the discussion begin…

Cadets really banged up. They do have a few studs

Rb Owen Brown 39 total Tds Eastern District player of year.

DE Caleb Riggs Eastern District Defensive player of the year

CB Braxton Brown 8 Ints first team all district.

Cadets are tough but they are down some guys. They will go out and compete and fight hard. Both teams running the ball game might be over in an Hour lol

What are Bucks and Laverdes?
According to my program I got from tonight’s game, Eric Huck is head coach of Fort Frye. His assistants include Chad Huck, Kyle Huck, and Brendan Huck. Players for the Cadets include Zaiden Huck, Maddox Huck, and Sebastian Huck.

For Kirtland, Tiger LaVerde is head coach of the Hornets. His son Jake plays quarterback and his other son Philip plays running back and linebacker.

Family ties abound on Saturday…

According to my program I got from tonight’s game, Eric Huck is head coach of Fort Frye. His assistants include Chad Huck, Kyle Huck, and Brendan Huck. Players for the Cadets include Zaiden Huck, Maddox Huck, and Sebastian Huck.

For Kirtland, Tiger LaVerde is head coach of the Hornets. His son Jake plays quarterback and his other son Philip plays running back and linebacker.

I can only say one word... sheeeeeesh

That’s a lot of Hucks to give!

Downtown Owen Brown

164- 1879 11.45 30 Tds

Rec - 5 Tds

3 Return Scores

1 Defensive Td ( Bellaire )

39 Total

Looking at Fort Frye's schedule, one thing that stands out is much like the Hornets they have played some larger schools this year. For Kirtland, EVERY school they played this season was larger than them.

Fort Frye
D2 - 1
D3 - 2
D4 - 3

Kirtland
D2 - 1
D3 - 4
D4 - 2
D5 - 3

Fort Frye knows they have to play a schedule like that if they want to get the big trophy.

Being an OVAC person, I so want to see the Cadets win this game. I don't see how they can do it though. I'm taking Kirtland 35-21.

Of course, the team that beat Fort Frye is a prep school. So, they go into the system as D7. Linsly also beat Steubenville.

Williamstown is also still alive in the West Virginia playoffs. They are the #2 seed in Class A. That was one of the larger schools that Fort Frye played.

The Cadets made me question just what exactly is going on with Bellaire this year? Had a few shots at some nice W’s (Garaway/ FF part deux.)

Eric Huck has built a phenomenal program all the way down there in Beverly. It’s classically and geographically difficult for them to fill a schedule up with decent competition, but they’ve wandered a little farther out in recent memory. He makes my (fictional) short list of small school coaches I try and keep up with…

Last weeks regional final even being in question after a 40 point conquest in week #2 gives a little credence to their health status claim. Kirtland is not a team I’d like to face sub 100%. …or at 100% for that matter.

I think the Hornets can win this game with the “business as usual” line ‘em up and go again routine. And if we allow for just a bit of fun, the Cadets are bringing +speed/+size, good looking athletes whom also frequent the weight room. The trouble is the ”in-possession” defensive adjustments, and a little mad hatter play calling Tiger rarely even dips into.

The money I can’t afford to lose is on LaVerde. In fact, I’d gamble that Tiger watches more film on the opposing coaches (tendencies) than anyone save Mr. Goodwin.

I like:
Kirtland - 34
Fort Frye - 6

Last edited:
I am impressed with Beverly Fort Frye success.
I just Do NOT see them competing with
LaVerde & Crew even @ 100%.

KirtLand wins by 28+ & gives MSML a run.

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH & Good health to both.

Ya know it’s kind of ironic that the Hornets have played FF a couple of times. Back in the day we used to host the Kirtland Open in Beverly 😂😂😂