Week 14: Division III Region 9 Final #1 Chardon Hilltoppers (11-1) vs #2 Canfield Cardinals (11-1)

Will Canfield finally break through against Chardon or will the Hilltoppers dominate again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So to recap Chardon vs Kenston was at Boardman when neither school was remotely close meanwhile when Chardon plays a Mahoning county school then they decide to put the game in Portage County, but not when neither school was from anywhere close to Mahoning County.

This will likely be another game with very light attendance from Canfield.
Though there are a few locations that might have been a little closer, Ravenna is actually the same distance (around 30 miles) for both schools. It shouldn't be a cause for concern for either school.

Though there are a few locations that might have been a little closer, Ravenna is actually the same distance (around 30 miles) for both schools. It shouldn't be a cause for concern for either school.
I just found it funny they played at Boardman last week which wasn't close at all to either school. And now that they are playing a Mahoning county school they aren't playing in Mahoning county.

The site is pretty even, Chardon is 38 minutes away and Canfield is 53 minutes. I would guess if they had in Trumbull County it would be a lot closer for Canfield than Chardon. It would likely be an hour for Chardon to most Trumbull County stadiums compared to 30 maybe 40 minutes depending on venue for Canfield.

Last edited:
Kenston’s defense played great, no doubt, but it had nothing to do with: The snap that went over the QBs head from the 1, that resulted in a FG instead of a TD. The fumbled snap, again at the 1, that resulted in a Kenston recovery and not a Chardon TD. The fumble inside the 20 recovered by Kenston that took at least away a Chardon FG, if not a TD.

That’s a MINIMUM of an additional 11 points off the board. Not to mention the 100+ yards of penalties.

Not taking anything away from Kenston’s defense, because they were stout to say the least, but the struggle for Chardon to score a few additional points were self inflicted, and nothing to do with Kenston’s defense. Maybe the weather, but not Kenston.
Your observations are very much in line with those of mine, topperbounce. Only one of Chardon's several fumbles may have been due to Kenston's defense from what I saw. All others and Chardon's many penalties were self-inflicted. I don't think the weather was a factor either. It seemed to be sloppy execution more so than anything to be blamed on a slippery ball or field.

Kenston did have a great scoring drive at the end of the first half, though it came off of a turnover that stalled a potential Chardon scoring drive. Those are 7 points for Kenston that might have been 3 or 7 for Chardon. Chardon has a lot to clean up before Friday.

Im assuming you were there topperbounce? I heard Chardon had a long sustained drive that seemed to take the wind out of Kenstons D before that goal line fumble. I read through a "play by play" on max preps but its hard to get feel for how it went down. I didnt know they were on the goal line when the high snap happened either.
Yes, it was second and goal from the one or two. They did manage to get a FG, but it should have been a TD. That was the opening drive. With about 6 minutes left in the game, Chardon had another first and goal from the two, but fumbled the handoff.

Last edited:
I just found it funny they played at Boardman last week which wasn't close at all to either school. And now that they are playing a Mahoning county school they aren't playing in Mahoning county.

The site is pretty even, Chardon is 38 minutes away and Canfield is 53 minutes. I would guess if they had in Trumbull County it would be a lot closer for Canfield than Chardon. It would likely be an hour for Chardon to most Trumbull County stadiums compared to 30 maybe 40 minutes depending on venue for Canfield.
39 minutes from Canfield High School to Ravenna High school. 43 minutes from Chardon High School to Ravenna High School.

If the Canfield faithful can’t make a 40 minute trip to watch their Cardinals play the back-to-back State Champions with a chance to advance to the Final Four, then shame on them. I know the Hilltopper faithful will show up, and will be grateful for the opportunity AND the 40 minute trip.

39 minutes from Canfield High School to Ravenna High school. 43 minutes from Chardon High School to Ravenna High School.
1668377068178.png

Please see above screenshot from Google Maps.

If the Canfield faithful can’t make a 40 minute trip to watch their Cardinals play the back-to-back State Champions with a chance to advance to the Final Four, then shame on them. I know the Hilltopper faithful will show up, and will be grateful for the opportunity AND the 40 minute trip.
I don’t get it. Canfield fans showed up this past Friday in less than ideal conditions. Hell even the band parents were there. We’ll be there again on Friday regardless of the drive or weather. BTW the drive is about as even as you can get for both teams, no complaints.

If the Canfield faithful can’t make a 40 minute trip
It will probably take about an hour actually to get there on Friday evening, if someone were to leave anytime between 5 and 6 PM.

It seems traffic isn't usually as bad going from Chardon. I guess traffic is typically heavier on the routes going up from Canfield.
Not sure why that is, but it is what it is...

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 17
I don’t get it. Canfield fans showed up this past Friday in less than ideal conditions. Hell even the band parents were there. We’ll be there again on Friday regardless of the drive or weather. BTW the drive is about as even as you can get for both teams, no complaints.
I saw the game on WKBN and the Canfield attendance was no where near what it was the previous week when I went to see them play Aurora.
Canfield vs Aurora had the home side completely full including the student seating.
Canfield likely had 3,000 fans against Aurora.

So to recap Chardon vs Kenston was at Boardman when neither school was remotely close meanwhile when Chardon plays a Mahoning county school then they decide to put the game in Portage County, but not when neither school was from anywhere close to Mahoning County.

The conditions will not be as bad Friday night, they played a big role in the amount of fans at the game against Ursuline, Chardon will bring a good crowd and so will Canfield, especially since this is a huge game

I expect this game will have a very good crowd, neither team is more than 45 minutes away, and other than a little cold the weather will not be a factor.

simkon does not speak for canfield, our fans have and will show up. Weather last week hurt attendance for most games. This should be a game for the books, I think the location is near ideal.

Your observations are very much in line with those of mine, topperbounce. Only one of Chardon's several fumbles may have been due to Kenston's defense from what I saw. All others and Chardon's many penalties were self-inflicted. I don't think the weather was a factor either. It seemed to be sloppy execution more so than anything to be blamed on a slippery ball or field.

Kenston did have a great scoring drive at the end of the first half, though it came off of a turnover that stalled a potential Chardon scoring drive. Those are 7 points for Kenston that might have been 3 or 7 for Chardon. Chardon has a lot to clean up before Friday.
Kenston did over throw an open receiver on the opening drive for a sure TD,and had a bad snap on a field goal attempt if we’re making self inflicted excuses.There was actually 2 good football teams on that field Friday night,and I’m not making excuses,penalties and turnovers happen in every game,you were in a dog fight that’s why it was close

@Bad Blake
Yes it will take 39 minutes on Sunday night at midnight sure, but that is not relevant because everyone will be going between 5 and 6 PM on Friday evening.

simkon does not speak for canfield, our fans have and will show up. Weather last week hurt attendance for most games. This should be a game for the books, I think the location is near ideal.
Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is? I am fairly certain that attendance will not exceed 3,000 fans for Canfield (which was the home attendance vs Aurora), the vistors side at Ravenna does not even seat 3,000, it appears to seat around 1,500-1,800. Perhaps some from Ravenna knows the exact number.

@Bad Blake
Yes it will take 39 minutes on Sunday night at midnight sure, but that is not relevant because everyone will be going between 5 and 6 PM on Friday evening.
Rush hour in Canfield is brutal enough, throw in a football Friday (or Saturday morning tee time) and I just don't know how those people cope. I've often wondered why they opt for that lifestyle over a simpler, more comfortable one in the country or suburbs.

Rush hour in Canfield is brutal enough, throw in a football Friday (or Saturday morning tee time) and I just don't know how those people cope. I've often wondered why they opt for that lifestyle over a simpler, more comfortable one in the country or suburbs.
Canfield fans still made the trip to Niles even though there was pouring down rain, their students, players parents and even band parents showed up, I doubt a little bit of rush hour traffic will stop them, especially since how big this game is, and the build up that has been circulating around it the last couple years.

Agree on all the above. I'd sure like to hear more about what Chardon does and doesn't do rather than measuring fan attendance.

Canfield fans still made the trip to Niles even though there was pouring down rain, their students, players parents and even band parents showed up, I doubt a little bit of rush hour traffic will stop them, especially since how big this game is, and the build up that has been circulating around it the last couple years.
I am just citing facts...
There was at least 3,000 Canfield fans to watch us play Aurora. There was not even 1,000 Canfield fans to watch us play Ursuline.

Kenston did over throw an open receiver on the opening drive for a sure TD,and had a bad snap on a field goal attempt if we’re making self inflicted excuses.There was actually 2 good football teams on that field Friday night,and I’m not making excuses,penalties and turnovers happen in every game,you were in a dog fight that’s why it was close
Relax. Nobody said anything negative about Kenston or that they didn't put up a fight. Quite the opposite, in fact. Also, note that excuses are when you falsely blame refs or the weather or stolen elections. None of that was the case here. The conversation was simply to point out that Chardon has a lot to clean up before next Friday.

Agree on all the above. I'd sure like to hear more about what Chardon does and doesn't do rather than measuring fan attendance.
As of last game, they do commit a lot of penalties it seems and they do turn the ball over hence they don't score much since they shot themselves in the foot a lot. I expect they will clean things up considerably as they can't afford to play that sloppy against Canfield and win, no offense to Kenston, they played Chardon very tough on both sides of the ball last week and really exceeded expectations in my opinion.

Since you are new here, I'll gladly explain that arguments over X's and O's quickly get drowned out by talking about how far the John's and Joe's will be driving and how many of them will be in the stands that are way too small, but also have plenty of extra room.

Since you are new here, I'll gladly explain that arguments over X's and O's quickly get drowned out by talking about how far the John's and Joe's will be driving and how many of them will be in the stands that are way too small, but also have plenty of extra room.
They run a lot of the wing T and like to control the clock correct?

Lol. More X and O talk please.

Chardon only starting about 6 seniors and being super young on the O-line give Canfield a decent chance at winning. 2 sophomores and a freshman instead of the seasoned road graders they've had the last 2 years can be the difference. I know Coach Hewitt will use that as motivation though. Good luck to both teams.

Chardon only starting about 6 seniors and being super young on the O-line give Canfield a decent chance at winning. 2 sophomores and a freshman instead of the seasoned road graders they've had the last 2 years can be the difference. I know Coach Hewitt will use that as motivation though. Good luck to both teams.
I expect a low-scoring nail biter this week. Canfield will show up with their usual hard-hitting defense and their talented QB, along with a whole heap of motivation from being eliminated 2 consecutive years by Chardon. Chardon's D is their typical championship-caliber. As others have noted the O is still young and mistake prone. "If the offense can eliminate their mistakes" has been the rally cry for several weeks, so from my perspective it grows into a bigger "IF" every week.

Chardon O: same Wing-T they have been running for 40+ years. Ball control, grind out yards and control the clock ... 'You can't score if we have the ball'. Have had multiple turnovers per game lately, and penalties are becoming a problem.

Chardon D: Speed and aggressiveness all over the field. Can get effective pressure from the D-line, leaving the talented and reliable LBs to handle the inside and outside run game. 3 D1 defensive backs patrol the secondary and match-up well versus anyone ... battle-tested versus multiple Big 10, SEC, and other D1-P5 receivers, so they aren't intimidated by much.

Winner of this game likely gets past Padua/Holy Name winner (have to assume R9 vs R10 matchup again this year) for a showdown with an excellent Badin team.

Last edited: