Week 13 | Region 21 Semifinal: #4 Dalton (10-2) vs. #1 Kirtland (12-0)

That’s how it’s done. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
That is the issue - it's not easy. It takes more work then most coaches and programs want to put in. You need to sell the kids on the culture, you need maintain that culture and it has to be consistent all the way down to the pee wee level. The blueprint on how to build a program is right there - few teams can follow it and maintain it.

1. Was kind of surprised Dalton punted so many times in 4th & 2-4. That really played right into Kirtland's hands. Coach Dial get a little too conservative?

2. Dalton can improve from this, but they'll need someone not named Q Lehman or Johnson to make the tackles in week 1 next year. Seemed like those 2 kids made EVERY defensive play the Bulldogs made that didn't pop out into the secondary.

I think Dalton was thinking we have a chance so let's punt and pin them down - and get that ball back. The problem is Kirtland does not give you the ball back. They just keep grinding out first down after first down and because they hardly pass - the clock never stops. They go on a lot of 5min plus scoring drives. Before you know it you are down multiple scores and there is not much time left. They demoralize teams because you know they are going to run, you know your bigger then them - and there is nothing you can do about it.

I think Dalton was thinking we have a chance so let's punt and pin them down - and get that ball back. The problem is Kirtland does not give you the ball back. They just keep grinding out first down after first down and because they hardly pass - the clock never stops. They go on a lot of 5min plus scoring drives. Before you know it you are down multiple scores and there is not much time left. They demoralize teams because you know they are going to run, you know your bigger then them - and there is nothing you can do about it.
I think this is the cursory Kirtland MO. Sure. This could have been written before the game. I was more surprised to see the Hornets first drive after the half… 4 consecutive non Kirtland plays and a quick score. (not trick plays per say) That’s on Tiger. That drive completely flipped whatever adjustments and momentum (a pulse) from the half…

I get that Kirtland lifts, guys… But some of it reads like none of these kids play other sports. 😂

Kirtland isn’t fancy. They basically line up in a modified 8 man line and sweep right, sweep left, trap right, trap left. Only throw when they need to or on second and short figuring you won’t stop them on third down. Their backs are quick, one was on the smaller side, but very shifty and at times you lose him behind guys and he pops out or cuts back.
The other back was more of a physical runner and had decent speed. They just line up and say try and stop us and eventually wear you down.
I would be tempted as a D coordinator to stack the box and blitz linebackers trying to disrupt things. Even bring my corners up occasionally to blitz them. Obviously you have to be careful, but I would threaten them to throw. You have to have the horses to do this. Offensively I think you could throw short on them because they play off your WR’s quite a bit. Take what they give you and then hit them long if they cheat up on the short routes.
Overall I was impressed with the Hornets. They are very good at what they do and don’t beat themselves with mistakes and turnovers. I would like to see how they would adjust to a team shutting down their run. Tall order, but it would be interesting.

I think this is the cursory Kirtland MO. Sure. This could have been written before the game. I was more surprised to see the Hornets first drive after the half… 4 consecutive non Kirtland plays and a quick score. (not trick plays per say) That’s on Tiger. That drive completely flipped whatever adjustments and momentum (a pulse) from the half…

I get that Kirtland lifts, guys… But some of it reads like none of these kids play other sports. 😂
Yes kids play multiple sports - yet they still lift. Kids will play a home or road baseball game - and still be in their uniform getting a lift in. I'm being serious. Playing another sport does not excuse you from lifting. That very mindset is why Kirtland is able to maintain their performance and excellence year in and year out. Kirtland has a unique situation - total buy in by everyone. This trickles all the way down to the 8th graders.

Kirtland isn’t fancy. They basically line up in a modified 8 man line and sweep right, sweep left, trap right, trap left. Only throw when they need to or on second and short figuring you won’t stop them on third down. Their backs are quick, one was on the smaller side, but very shifty and at times you lose him behind guys and he pops out or cuts back.
The other back was more of a physical runner and had decent speed. They just line up and say try and stop us and eventually wear you down.
I would be tempted as a D coordinator to stack the box and blitz linebackers trying to disrupt things. Even bring my corners up occasionally to blitz them. Obviously you have to be careful, but I would threaten them to throw. You have to have the horses to do this. Offensively I think you could throw short on them because they play off your WR’s quite a bit. Take what they give you and then hit them long if they cheat up on the short routes.
Overall I was impressed with the Hornets. They are very good at what they do and don’t beat themselves with mistakes and turnovers. I would like to see how they would adjust to a team shutting down their run. Tall order, but it would be interesting.
Good to hear you were impressed with winningest team in recent memory not named Marion Local.

As far as the stacking the box idea, Ironton did that in 2 consecutive d5 Title games with an OSU bound MLB. It turned out about the same.

Good to hear you were impressed with winningest team in recent memory not named Marion Local.

As far as the stacking the box idea, Ironton did that in 2 consecutive d5 Title games with an OSU bound MLB. It turned out about the same.
I actually forgot it was twice…oof.

The only team that is able to slow down Kirtland’s running game (not stop) is Marion Local…but that is because they are just as well conditioned and coached as Kirtland…and they don’t make mistakes or feel the pressure of Kirtland like other teams do…they are a mirror copy which is what makes their matchups so great

I wasn’t being disrespectful, I’m used to seeing a run oriented offense and see how teams try to stop it. My Panthers have run the wing T for over 30 years and drive most teams crazy with it, making some nice playoff runs with it, even the finals in 15 & 16. Not the same offense as Kirtland, but similar in the fact they wear you down with it, most drives are long and methodical. Then a back will pop a long run off the counter or the double handoff. They try and eat clock keeping more skilled teams offenses off the field, which limits their possessions, putting more pressure on them to score when they do get the ball.
Kirtland has built a dynasty and they deserve all the respect they get. It will take a very skilled and talented team to beat them. Hats off to them and continued success.

I find myself doing a very non-scientific thing watching all elite HS defenses. Does the MLB actually read/spy when they are supposed to? It can be, and typically is, impossible to get a kid to understand the importance of the role and convince them to not try and make/force every play. That #4 LaVerde kid is a very high IQ backer. (Makes sense) Just can’t say enough good stuff about that performance and commitment. Until you see it…you just don’t appreciate it.

I find myself doing a very non-scientific thing watching all elite HS defenses. Does the MLB actually read/spy when they are supposed to? It can be, and typically is, impossible to get a kid to understand the importance of the role and convince them to not try and make/force every play. That #4 LaVerde kid is a very high IQ backer. (Makes sense) Just can’t say enough good stuff about that performance and commitment. Until you see it…you just don’t appreciate it.
Normally I wouldn’t post things like this, but it is public info (was in a local paper), Phillip LaVerde is a very high IQ backer with a 4.7 GPA

1. Was kind of surprised Dalton punted so many times in 4th & 2-4. That really played right into Kirtland's hands. Coach Dial get a little too conservative?

2. Dalton can improve from this, but they'll need someone not named Q Lehman or Johnson to make the tackles in week 1 next year. Seemed like those 2 kids made EVERY defensive play the Bulldogs made that didn't pop out into the secondary.
Could not agree more on #2. For small schools, it is not necessarily which kids you are losing, but who you have to replace them. Dalton had many suitable replacements for the talent they lost last year. They are not losing nearly as much talent this year, but time will tell if they have kids who can step in for guys like Q Lehman, Ethan Stutz, Grant Johnson, and Bryce Johnson. Having those kids ready to play against Kirtland week 1 is a monumental task.

Could not agree more on #2. For small schools, it is not necessarily which kids you are losing, but who you have to replace them. Dalton had many suitable replacements for the talent they lost last year. They are not losing nearly as much talent this year, but time will tell if they have kids who can step in for guys like Q Lehman, Ethan Stutz, Grant Johnson, and Bryce Johnson. Having those kids ready to play against Kirtland week 1 is a monumental task.
One more point- Q Lehman’s dominance has been well documented & awarded (WCAL POY!?!?- AWESOME!), but wanted to touch on Johnson #52. You don’t see many OL playing LB anymore with the game being so spread out. But every game I saw the last 2 years Dalton’s 52 JUMPED out as a “Dude”.

You make a great point about it’s not necessarily the amount of kids you return but the quality. Backfilling studs like those guys a really difficult thing to do.

By the way kudos for the folks at Nordonia High. They got cars in and out quickly, concessions were good, lots of help, lines were minimal and a nice stadium.

One more point- Q Lehman’s dominance has been well documented & awarded (WCAL POY!?!?- AWESOME!), but wanted to touch on Johnson #52. You don’t see many OL playing LB anymore with the game being so spread out. But every game I saw the last 2 years Dalton’s 52 JUMPED out as a “Dude”.

You make a great point about it’s not necessarily the amount of kids you return but the quality. Backfilling studs like those guys a really difficult thing to do.
Good programs attract them kids and families, but there are some area that have a great amount of talent yearly to restock. (Youth league is so important). And then there are programs that have both , great talent pool and attract parents who wish their kid to be coached and part of a coaches philosophy. Most good perennial programs have 1 off these.

Good programs attract them kids and families, but there are some area that have a great amount of talent yearly to restock. (Youth league is so important). And then there are programs that have both , great talent pool and attract parents who wish their kid to be coached and part of a coaches philosophy. Most good perennial programs have 1 off these.
That's the crazy part - coach Dial just now started getting involved in trying to develop a youth program last year. There has been no flag football for the younger ages, and I believe there might have only been 1 or 2 youth contact teams for maybe 3/4 and 5/6 grades. The youth program has been near non-existent and I really look forward to seeing what it can turn into now that the high school team and coaches are getting involved!