Week 13: Kings (11-1) vs. Winton Woods (12-0) Round 2

Timelineman

Kings won a tight one in the regular season last year, went 10-0, but ran into a buzzsaw in the rematch in the playoffs.

This year’s game was tight, but WW took control in the second half and looked better. Kings’ playcalling was extremely conservative. Hopefully they were sandbagging and plan to open it up this week. Will Kocher and Mike Mussari have been unstoppable the past three weeks, but the WW secondary is phenomenal. Kings’ defense gave up the fewest points in the ECC this year, WW gave up the fewest yards. Both offenses tend to light up the scoreboard. Should be a clash of the titans.

I’m picking the Knights to get their revenge 28-21.

WW coaches, you have a stud CB in Matthews jr on one side.
You have another stud CB in Calhoun on the other side.
You have a very good safety in Hudson, right
Make Kings throw the ball at let your play makers make plays.
Do not let Kings QB just run up middle, run to right, run to left, etc.
That’s all he does, he is their offense, one heck of a player, but let’s be honest, that’s what they do most of the time,

Stop the QB run, I know a lot of y’all say it’s not that simple, we’ll actually I think it is.

WW for Pete’s sake, limit untimely penalties and personal fouls. THIS GAME Will Be called extremely tight.
I expect a flat out backyard burn burner.

Go Warriors

Kings committed to stopping the run last game, I hope WW airs Kings out. WW is blessed with multiple top end receivers and a QB that can get them the ball. On the other side of the ball Kings offense runs thru the QB, slow down his runs and Kings offense becomes less dynamic.

WW did struggle vs Ross but was able to overcome giving up 200 yards rushing to them while committing 150+ yards in penalties (for the second straight week) to pick up the W.

Make no mistake about it...this 6-6 Ross team is not very good and got smoked by several smaller division schools. (Ross gave up over 400 yards of Offence in a loss to lowly Northwest) but came in ready to play vs WW.

Winton woods has to play better and smarter.

Keys for WW...
Play like the favorite. Win the turnover battle and stop making stupid penalties...In the first match up WW lost the first down battle and total plays/yardage but did win the TOP due to 40+ run calls.

Keys for Kings....
Score early! Hold onto the ball and win the turnover battle (that they did not do in the first match up that cost them the game).
Special teams has to show up.... The 80 yard kick off TD was the spark that put WW ahead at the half in the last match up.

It could be a long night for WW if Kings can muster 100+ yards rushing (that will help on 3rd downs). If they can do this with 150+ passing yards they can control the game enough to pull off the upset.

I look for another close game but the penalties will come back to haunt WW.
Kings with the upset 27-23

Last edited:
Kings committed to stopping the run last game, I hope WW airs Kings out. WW is blessed with multiple top end receivers and a QB that can get them the ball. On the other side of the ball Kings offense runs thru the QB, slow down his runs and Kings offense becomes less dynamic.
I would say it was WW that was committed to the run due to the secondary play of Kings.
Kings is statically one of the best if not the best defensive back group in the city with 27 picks coming into the contest.
WW rushed over 40+ times in the first match up. When they did drop back they had some success 7/14 2TD but Kings did get 2 picks with limited attempts and a couple PDs.

Last edited:
WW has to eliminate penalties and play better than they have been lately as a whole. I look for a very close Game and the Team that makes the fewest mistakes will Win!

I would say it was WW that was committed to the run due to the secondary play of Kings.
Kings is statically one of the best if not the best defensive back group in the city with 27 picks coming into the contest.
WW rushed over 40+ times in the first match up. When they did drop back they had some success 7/14 2TD but Kings did get 2 picks with limited attempts and a couple PDs.
WW has some quality receivers, I think they'll win the one on one match-up this time around, plus the TE has gotten into the act since the last Kings game.

WW has some quality receivers, I think they'll win the one on one match-up this time around, plus the TE has gotten into the act since the last Kings game.
WW was much more balanced vs. Ross with 24 pass attempts and 25 rush attempts that would be a big mistake vs. Kings.

WW needs to establish the run (3 to 1 vs the pass). Outside of the WW contest the only close game Kings had this year was in was vs Lebanon that rushed 34 of the 50 snaps and for over 200 yards on the ground. If WW tries to pass more than 15X that will spell trouble since they did not really dominate in the passing game vs a Ross team that honestly is nowhere close to what Kings has on the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
WW did struggle vs Ross but was able to overcome giving up 200 yards rushing to them while committing 150+ yards in penalties (for the second straight week) to pick up the W.

Make no mistake about it...this 6-6 Ross team is not very good and got smoked by several smaller division schools. (Ross gave up over 400 yards of Offence in a loss to lowly Northwest) but came in ready to play vs WW.

Winton woods has to play better and smarter.

Keys for WW...
Play like the favorite. Win the turnover battle and stop making stupid penalties...In the first match up WW lost the first down battle and total plays/yardage but did win the TOP due to 40+ run calls.

Keys for Kings....
Score early! Hold onto the ball and win the turnover battle (that they did not do in the first match up that cost them the game).
Special teams has to show up.... The 80 yard kick off TD was the spark that put WW ahead at the half in the last match up.

It could be a long night for WW if Kings can muster 100+ yards rushing (that will help on 3rd downs). If they can do this with 150+ passing yards they can control the game enough to pull off the upset.

I look for another close game but the penalties will come back to haunt WW.
Kings with the upset 27-23
I will give Ross some credit as they came in with a good game plan and executed it well in the first half by limiting WW possessions.
WW didn’t look inspired to play last night. Some things do need to be cleaned up but this is Kings. Coach Murphy will have the team ready to play! WW knows how good Kings is and there is a lot on the line!

Any idea on where this game might be played?
I said it in the other thread as well. I believe it will be Lakota West. It’s more central than Princeton. Lakota West & Elder will most likely play at Mason since it’s a big stadium. I’d say Moeller and Mason will play at Princeton possibly. There’s no way WW game will be at Princeton, too close to us

I said it in the other thread as well. I believe it will be Lakota West. It’s more central than Princeton. Lakota West & Elder will most likely play at Mason since it’s a big stadium. I’d say Moeller and Mason will play at Princeton possibly. There’s no way WW game will be at Princeton, too close to us
That makes sense. Good luck to the Warriors!!

WW was much more balanced vs. Ross with 24 pass attempts and 25 rush attempts that would be a big mistake vs. Kings.

WW needs to establish the run (3 to 1 vs the pass). Outside of the WW contest the only close game Kings had this year was in was vs Lebanon that rushed 34 of the 50 snaps and for over 200 yards on the ground. If WW tries to pass more than 15X that will spell trouble since they did not really dominate in the passing game vs a Ross team that honestly is nowhere close to what Kings has on the defensive side of the ball.
Couldn’t disagree more. Balance is exactly what’s needed. I thoroughly believe the only thing slowing this offense down is the playcalling. The kids make some mistakes but they make plenty a plays to overcome them. If you watched the game you know the Passing game came up huge against kings last time regardless of what the numbers say.

Mason may not be hosting if all of their volunteers want to go to watch them play Moe. Maybe in their OHSAA bid to host Mason made it contingent on the Comets not playing that night.

Mason may not be hosting if all of their volunteers want to go to watch them play Moe. Maybe in their OHSAA bid to host Mason made it contingent on the Comets not playing that night.
You make a very good point. I guess Withrow could still be an option? Or one of the Lakota’s. Usually they save the Dayton school options for the next round when it’s less teams. But I’m sure they will find a nice stadium for them

Couldn’t disagree more. Balance is exactly what’s needed. I thoroughly believe the only thing slowing this offense down is the playcalling. The kids make some mistakes but they make plenty a plays to overcome them. If you watched the game you know the Passing game came up huge against kings last time regardless of what the numbers say.
If WW tries to throw as much as they run it will go away from their strength and play into the strength of their opponent. Also, if they give Kings 29 min to work with like they did Ross it will not end well. If WW has more than 15 pass attempts look for WW turnovers and increased penalties. (10-15 Timely pass plays however will be needed to get the W).

Looking back to Kings last contest. Withrow did gain 450+ yards with more of a balanced attack with 38 pass plays out of the 68 snaps.
With that...Withrow had 5 turnovers (yes 5 Int) that basically ended the contest.

Kings has demonstrated weekly if you put the ball in the air the Kings DBs can play one on one against anyone and they have a knack to go from defender to receiver. With WW 6th in the ECC in passing (only 86 completions for the year) now is not the time to try to air it out. Stick to what you do and do it well and WW will win...

Excited to see Kings defense at full strength against the Warriors. One of their best defender’s, #20 Jones, did not play in the regular season match up.

Does it make you WW guys nervous to be undefeated? Seems like not many 10-0 teams wind up winning it. I think Kings might have been feeling more pressure last year trying to keep the perfect season going.

This year they had a stretch from week 6-8 where they were not playing their best, and looked like a different team, but since week 9 they’re playing fast and loose and at a new level. I think they’re peaking at the right time.

True, but don’t count Hamilton out, we’ve played there a few times, and then the surprise could be withrow. Remember the classic with lasalle.
But yes more than likely Lakota

Does it make you WW guys nervous to be undefeated? Seems like not many 10-0 teams wind up winning it. I think Kings might have been feeling more pressure last year trying to keep the perfect season going.

This year they had a stretch from week 6-8 where they were not playing their best, and looked like a different team, but since week 9 they’re playing fast and loose and at a new level. I think they’re peaking at the right time.
No, the only thing that makes me nervous is the fact that we have SO MANY unnecessary penalties and personal fouls. I mean we give the opposing team 30-50 yds in penalties on one drive. And if you read the other WW posters, they’ll say the same things.
Untimely and costly penalties will hurt us.
Go Warriors