Week 13 disappointment

bkmk1

I am excited about the games for week 12. But I, like many, am livid about OHSAA eliminating Saturday playoff games. So with that being said, I am already looking ahead to week 13. And the possibility that these could be the week 13 matchups.
St. Ed's vs. St. Ignatius - D1R1
Barberton vs. Hoban - D2R5
Avon vs. Wadsworth - D2R6

I would LOVE to be able to see all 3, if these game come to fruition. (and all 3 would be stud matchups). And we all know that is not possible to see all 3 in person, thanks to OHSAA. I'm just going to write about D1 and D2, but other divisions could be included. I choose these 2 divisions only because I follow them the most. I would love to see 1 of these games on Friday night. 1 of them Saturday at 12:00. 1 of them Saturday at 7:00/7:30. That would be awesome. Those 3 games have me licking my chops just thinking about them. But the almighty powers to be, forces us to pick 1 only, and miss the other 2. That is ridiculous, tragic, and a shame. It is a week 13 disappointment, to say the least.

They’ve never had Saturday afternoon games, so the most you would be able to see in a week is two games. Maybe OHSAA will lose money on this and switch it back for next year.

However, I doubt putting all games on Friday will affect attendance that much as it has been declining anyway. Guess the money is in TV and the streaming deals.

Either way, is this unfortunate for you, yes, but tragic, no.

I guess if you have Spectrum most of these games will be televised or streamed.

They’ve never had Saturday afternoon games, so the most you would be able to see in a week is two games. Maybe OHSAA will lose money on this and switch it back for next year.

However, I doubt putting all games on Friday will affect attendance that much as it has been declining anyway. Guess the money is in TV and the streaming deals.

First of all, 2 is still better than 1. Second of all, just because it's never been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done. In PA it happens quite a bit. And I'm sure in other states as well. So yes, it can be done. Third, I like many others, do not have spectrum. So that is not an option. And it really is a shame and unfortunate to say the least.

I'm probably in the minority, but having all the games on Friday is nice for me. I can't make Saturday games anyway, so personally, that has zero affect. Now, however, I can choose one of whichever game there is to attend.

The broadcasting fees are far from lucrative

As I see it, it doesn’t have to be lucrative. It just needs to enough to offset the casual fan who may take in two games a week, which I’m guessing in Yappi land may be a decent amount of people, but in the grand scheme of people who attend high school football games is very small.

The broadcasting fees are far from lucrative

How is that when most of the eastern and northeastern areas don't have access???? The whole set up is garbage!!! We don't even get regular season games anymore!! Now we have one venue in Canton no parking and price increases with the "city upgrade" tax?!?!?!?!? Just about to give in!!!! NO SATURDAYS SUX!!!!!

There have been afternoon games before. They tried doubleheaders at BGSU about 10 years ago. And lots of games got moved in 2006 for OSU/Michigan.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Thanks EagleFan, you're a lot of help. Lol! I need somebody in my corner.
I'm in your corner!! The OHSAA is missing out on some money this way IMHO. I, too, would love to see the games staggered similar the the State championship games in each Division.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm in your corner!! The OHSAA is missing out on some money this way IMHO. I, too, would love to see the games staggered similar the the State championship games in each Division.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input. I was on an island for a bit there. I know that I am not the only diehard when it comes to Ohio HS football - especially at playoff time. Common sense would tell you to let the fans access as many games as they can. Giving choices, many people would be at 2 or 3 in a weekend. Might as well put the 7 state championships at 7 different sites all at the same time.

Massillon and St Eds played on a Saturday afternoon in the State Semis. I'm sure it wasn't the only time.

As I posted before. Just because it's never been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done, or wouldn't work. It could very easily work. Playoff games schedule for weeks 11-14 could be:
Friday 7:00/7:30 - host team decide which time they want
Saturday 12:00/1:00
Saturday 7:00/7:30

I absolutely see no problem with this schedule. PA has multiple weekends where you can actually see 3 games in 2 days. And I'm sure other states do as well. This weekend PA has Friday night games, games at 1:00 Saturday, and games at 7:00 Saturday night. It does work.

As I posted before. Just because it's never been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done, or wouldn't work. It could very easily work. Playoff games schedule for weeks 11-14 could be:
Friday 7:00/7:30 - host team decide which time they want
Saturday 12:00/1:00
Saturday 7:00/7:30

I absolutely see no problem with this schedule. PA has multiple weekends where you can actually see 3 games in 2 days. And I'm sure other states do as well. This weekend PA has Friday night games, games at 1:00 Saturday, and games at 7:00 Saturday night. It does work.

Western PA also has four Thursday games this week as well.

Farrell v. Cambridge Springs @ Greenville
USO v. Cathedral Prep @ Pittsburgh
D9 game at Clarion Univ.
D6 game at Bedford.

Massillon and St Eds played on a Saturday afternoon in the State Semis. I'm sure it wasn't the only time.

Just to clarify, I meant they don’t normally have afternoon games, not that it has never happened, just that it’s not a commonplace thing.

At my age, 11, if my team isn't playing I watch games from some other state on TV.
Oh yes, that is 11 dog years.

Last edited:
I can't see them ever going to a noon game. HS teams don't fly in the night before like colleges. No HS team is going to want to have to meet at the school at 8am to make a 2 hour drive to a playoff site to get dressed/warm up for a noon game. Attendance would be awful, as there are just too many things going on Saturday early afternoon....especially if it happens to fall on a day Ohio State is playing at noon. I could see a 3:30 start, but again, college football issues will hurt attendance, especially now that colleges are in week 9 or 10. Maybe not so much of an issue if it's week 2 and Ohio State is playing SE Kansas Tech A & M :)

It is a tough spot for the OHSAA if they consider these thoughts above. I have no doubt there are people who would go to 3/4 games if staggered as suggested. However, the OHSAA primarily considers their member schools, and if asked...Friday night would be the choice of nearly all. No?

The vast majority of fans that attend playoff games are attending just one. Their team. And they, too, would want Friday nights by a large majority. No?

The OHSAA is finding out right now how many 2nd-game ticket buyers they are losing out on.

The vast majority of fans that attend playoff games are attending just one. Their team. And they, too, would want Friday nights by a large majority. No?
It will be interesting to read the increase in frustration as each week passes and the distances to the neutral sites get greater. Making it to a 7:30 game gets tougher by the week.

I am excited about the games for week 12. But I, like many, am livid about OHSAA eliminating Saturday playoff games. So with that being said, I am already looking ahead to week 13. And the possibility that these could be the week 13 matchups.
St. Ed's vs. St. Ignatius - D1R1
Barberton vs. Hoban - D2R5
Avon vs. Wadsworth - D2R6

I would LOVE to be able to see all 3, if these game come to fruition. (and all 3 would be stud matchups). And we all know that is not possible to see all 3 in person, thanks to OHSAA. I'm just going to write about D1 and D2, but other divisions could be included. I choose these 2 divisions only because I follow them the most. I would love to see 1 of these games on Friday night. 1 of them Saturday at 12:00. 1 of them Saturday at 7:00/7:30. That would be awesome. Those 3 games have me licking my chops just thinking about them. But the almighty powers to be, forces us to pick 1 only, and miss the other 2. That is ridiculous, tragic, and a shame. It is a week 13 disappointment, to say the least.

Providing all 6 make it to week 13:

Ed's - Iggy is the chalk good game. You can count on a chess match. Both teams know each other well. Can't go wrong here.

Hoban - Barberton - who knows? Hoban is the real deal, Barberton looks like the real deal. Should be an outstanding game but I wouldn't be surprised if it was all Hoban. Potentially the best game - lots of risk / reward for a neutral fan.

Avon - Wadsworth - admittedly I have not followed Avon much this season but if Wadsworth is in the game the over / under is eleventy billion. This is your game if you like offense.

FWIW - if I had to choose it would be Ed's / Iggy.

Western PA also has four Thursday games this week as well.

Farrell v. Cambridge Springs @ Greenville
USO v. Cathedral Prep @ Pittsburgh
D9 game at Clarion Univ.
D6 game at Bedford.

Look !! No one cares about the Pa games this is about OHIO!!!! You got stock in the damn WPIAL or what???? Geez!!!

Look !! No one cares about the Pa games this is about OHIO!!!! You got stock in the damn WPIAL or what???? Geez!!!

1st, the OP is from Pennsylvania and regularly posts here on where to see games in Ohio. Your quote of mine was in response to him indicating how PA has games on Saturday night AND afternoon. I just added for him that there is 4 games on Thursday in western Pennsylvania.

Secondly though, and this is where it's fun.... None of those eight teams are members of the WPIAL. In fact, WPIAL is much more like Ohio in that all games are Friday night unless an unlit home field in first round.

But his point is valid. There's nothing intrinsically different about Ohio that Saturday games are impossible.

I watched 21 OHSAA playoff games this week. I am also pissed by Friday only games so I vented by watching games online... Spectrum already listed 11 games that it will be televising for round 2 and I am sure I will be able to find another half dozen or so....

While I would rather be at a game the next best thing is having 3 of them going on at the same time in the comfort of my living room.....