Week 13 #13 Buchtel vs #1 West Branch Div IV Region 13

Ravenna should be a good game if defense keep playing like they have got a chance might be best quarterback myboys saw all year hopefully offense don't get off to slow start should be a good game

Last edited:
I have been to Ravenna a few times. Man, when the lights come up - that smurf turf gets really really blue.

Knowing nothing about West Branch - I still like 1040's chances in this one. I have been following this great game ardently since the early 1970s, and have seen many many times how tough teams are that find their stride in the second half of the season.

The Buchtel Griffins are certainly one of those teams.

Same goal as every week for WB . Limit big plays as much as possible and try and outscore them.
Which I expect them to do. I went to the Salem WB game and Struthers last night. You cannot stop West Branch on offense, you have to hope to outscore them. Can this opponent do that?

I
Which I expect them to do. I went to the Salem WB game and Struthers last night. You cannot stop West Branch on offense, you have to hope to outscore them. Can this opponent do that?
I believe WB will move the ball and score. Just need to get some stops. I know nothing about Buchtel, just know they’ve always had speed .

I would think Louisville would be a logical choice to host the West Branch-Buchtel playoff game, but Louisville would have to put in to host the game, plus there are many other logistics that go in to hosting in the playoffs, so who knows? The OHSAA is very unpredictable when it comes to playoff sites. We'll find out Sunday.

Louisville makes no sense for any games this week. There are a few potential matchups next week that would make a lot of sense for Louisville to host (If Region 17 championship was South Range vs Garaway for example).

Lake, Ravenna, or Streetsboro makes sense to me. My guess is Ravenna.

To beat west branches offense you need to get pressure with your front 4 and create pressure up the middle, 12 is very very good at moving up in the pocket.

if I’m a WB fan the thing i worry about is containing the Buchtel Speed, Struthers was able to hit the outside whenever they wanted to with the QB and backs. Buchtel I’m sure will do the same thing. The team who makes the other team make mistakes wins the game.

To beat west branches offense you need to get pressure with your front 4 and create pressure up the middle, 12 is very very good at moving up in the pocket.

if I’m a WB fan the thing i worry about is containing the Buchtel Speed, Struthers was able to hit the outside whenever they wanted to with the QB and backs. Buchtel I’m sure will do the same thing. The team who makes the other team make mistakes wins the game.
When DeShields is 100%, some of his best plays occur when he’s pressured. Not too many linemen are going to catch him even hobbled plus he reacts to blitzes very quickly and either scrambles and finds an open receiver or runs it himself. He was still elusive enough Friday to create big plays. And if you key on him, Mulinix rips off 10 yards. As far the WB defense, speed is always a concern but like always , they’ll try to limit the big plays and outscore them. Carter was a great back but the majority of his yards came on one 73 yard run.

Last edited:
1040 defense keeps playing really well and offense and marcel and Dakota play well on offense hopefully it a good game

I agreee. WB will struggle defensively but Butchel's offense will have to be very efficient and score a lot of points to win. WB's offense really isn't bothered by speed, in fact they can use it against a defense if they take chances by blitzing and jumping routes. Also WB's skilled kids are not slow and can make big plays. I think a lot of people automatically thank WB isn't fast- that is not 100% accurate. I like WB in a high scoring game. Last check DeShields has 40 plus touchdowns and I think 1 interception so they usually don't turn it over. 48-35 West Branch.

I agreee. WB will struggle defensively but Butchel's offense will have to be very efficient and score a lot of points to win. WB's offense really isn't bothered by speed, in fact they can use it against a defense if they take chances by blitzing and jumping routes. Also WB's skilled kids are not slow and can make big plays. I think a lot of people automatically thank WB isn't fast- that is not 100% accurate. I like WB in a high scoring game. Last check DeShields has 40 plus touchdowns and I think 1 interception so they usually don't turn it over. 48-35 West Branch.
I think they’re the favorite until they run into glenville

I assume that Buchtel has improved dramatically from the early season when the Griffs lost to Lake Catholic & Warren Harding. They will certainly need to be improved from those two performances to beat West Branch IMO.

Good luck to both teams.

GO WARRIORS!

I know DeShields added one more interception Friday when he sailed one high. Might have been another on an a conversation attempt. Either way 2or 3 in 3400 yards of passing is incredible.

Last edited:
Does Buchtel get faster in the rain and West Branch slower? I would think Buchtel would be concerned about ball security in those conditions. West Branch only has 5 turnovers through 12 games.
West Branch hasn't see a team this season that will pose the problems for them that Buchtel will! During the preseason div4 polls Buchtel was ranked in the top 10! So for everyone to make the Griffins underdogs better wake up!

West Branch hasn't see a team this season that will pose the problems for them that Buchtel will! During the preseason div4 polls Buchtel was ranked in the top 10! So for everyone to make the Griffins underdogs better wake up!
On the flipside though, I can almost guarantee that Buchtel has not seen an offense like West Branch all year. It is very efficient, and tough to stop.

I agree - but WBs offense is different, they will neutralize speed/ the key for Buchtel is to score a lot of points- I think the can do that too.

Going to be rainy and cold that will slow West Branch offense down! Buchtel offense will be able to score on West Branch easily!
West Branch went 4 deep into the play offs last year, they can play in inclement weather. Better be careful assuming WB is slow and unathletic. It Buchtel's plan is to simply out athlete WB it's going to be a long night, they have good speed and good athletes at WB. However, AB is usually very well coached and I am sure they will have a good scheme. I have a feeling that this will be a great game.