Week 11: Div. V, Reg. 18 Quarterfinal: #7 Elyria Catholic (7-3) @ #2 Orrville (9-1)

Who advances?

• Orrville Red Riders

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Elyria Catholic Panthers

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OrrvilleRR

Lets get this started. Thoughts on this matchup? Just two playoff games between these schools.

Previous Playoff Meetings: Playoff Series Tied (1-1).
11/16/1984 (State Semi) Orrville 13 - Elyria Catholic 14

11/12/2010 (Reg Semi) Orrville 22 - Elyria Catholic 14

ElyriaCatholic-2013__L.png
Orrville-2015_R.png

Tough to bet against Orrville if Parks is healthy. I suspect they'd be 10-0 if he played against Manchester.
EC is a tough 1st round matchup for them, but think you are right. Was at Manchester game & they had a crazy call (kid landed in endzone & was called down at 1) otherwise they win without him.

The aura of a catholic school still messes with the Orrville faithful's minds...EC has played a lot of bigger schools....but they haven't been tested in the last half of the season and every good team they've played beat them. They have some big WR targets, just like Davis from Triway..and we had trouble stopping him.

We'll see what happens. Orrville needs someone else to score and would love to see some success through the air to open up the run game.

Everything fell perfectly last year in the playoffs in terms of matchups...this year won't be that way.

Orrville by 21...at least.

Maybe you are correct, I have not seen either team this year. Obviously Orrville, the defending DV state champs, is a very good team. However, just looking at the schedules and results, Elyria Catholic is not what I would consider a typical 7th seed. They lost three close games, two of which were to D3 playoff teams. EC's schedule appears much tougher than Orrville's. This is an interesting game that I think may be worth the price of admission.

Orrville is the favorite, but I wouldn't be surprised if EC takes them deep into the 4th quarter, or if EC pulls the upset. Orrville is very good, and Parks is the best player in the state in Division V, but a disciplined, athletic team with a great front 7 can give them some fits. Good luck to the Red Riders!

If the penalties and stupid mistakes continue for us into the playoffs, that will be what gets us eliminated. It will not be because a better team beats us...we will beat ourselves. I hope I am wrong. We have the talent to do everything we did last year, IMO. Our O-line took a step back compared to last years team, but the obvious killer has been the penalties. Yes, we could/should be 10-0...but we also could be 7-3 with the way we have shot ourselves in the foot all season long. Our talent overcame in a couple of games this season.

calpreps.com prediction:
Elyria Catholic at Orrville [projection: Orrville (OH) 38-31]

I hope it isn't this close for Orrville. Thinking we can win by at least 2 scores.

Will the Lorain Catholic players be more interested on standing on the Opponents side of the field pre game and talking trash or will they shut up and play football? If they decide on the former they are likely in trouble.

Will the Lorain Catholic players be more interested on standing on the Opponents side of the field pre game and talking trash or will they shut up and play football? If they decide on the former they are likely in trouble.
Hoping both teams can keep their mouths shut and just play football. Otherwise, the officials will have a hay-day.

I don't see this being anything other than a close game with big plays made by both teams on offense. We're 7-1 in home playoff games so that's definitely in our favor being at home.

Lorain Catholic closed in 2004. You've been holding on to this story for a long time!

EC is still trying to find themselves as a program under their 2nd year head coach. The have talent and athletes, but because they don't have a true identity, they tend to be inconsistent. I think they would need to play a near perfect game to knock off Orrville. It could happen, but I think it will be close for a while with Orrville pulling away to win by 2 td's.

The league that EC plays in prepares them for this type of game and atmosphere.......They win by 10!

EC size jumps off screen. Ironically they see more physical on O than D. They have an offensive lineman playing MLB. Anyone that has seen Parks run picture that.

Orrville has been terribly inconsistent on Offense last 4 weeks. And they’re 3-1 in those games. Their D has given up 7TDs last 2 weeks & scores 3 (just missing a 4th) themselves.

No prediction except a full stadium and record hot chocolate sales

250 yds, radio broadcast said 4 TDs but I thought it was 5. 1 interception, 1 fumble recovery, at least 3 sacks. Refereeing a lot better. Way less penalties.

250 yds, radio broadcast said 4 TDs but I thought it was 5. 1 interception, 1 fumble recovery, at least 3 sacks. Refereeing a lot better. Way less penalties.
Correct. Parks scored all 5 of the TDs. Radio stat guy probably got complacent and forgot to mark the last one.