Week 11: Coldwater (8-2) @ Archbold (9-1)

Looking over the roster, there seems to be a few seniors that are not being utilized that often. Is it me or is it possible that some of the entitlements that the underclassman are getting are a good possibility for the lack of effort? I mean, a mature player who has been in the program for six years may have a better understanding of certain situations at times where these less seasoned "starters" do not. On a Coldwater team, I highly doubt that these players not seeing the field is due to a lack of ability. I understand grooming players for next year and all, but for this years seniors that have poured there heart and soul into the team for the past six plus years, there is no next year for them. Saturday mornings are a good time to groom some of these underclassmen for the future. Whatever is happening with this team right now, I hope that they can figure it out before this weeks game at the Bold.
The coaches see these kids practice very day.
The coaches scour over the game films.
The coaches see what goes on every day.

I am firmly confident that the coaches are putting onto the field the best group possible to achieve the desired results.

The coaches see these kids practice very day.
The coaches scour over the game films.
The coaches see what goes on every day.

I am firmly confident that the coaches are putting onto the field the best group possible to achieve the desired results.

I agree with what he is saying though. I don’t know what seniors or upperclassmen are on Coldwater but if a senior or sophomore or junior are on the same talent level, I think the senior should play. It is his last chance to play and he can provide senior leadership and has more experience. That just makes sense to me.

I agree with what he is saying though. I don’t know what seniors or upperclassmen are on Coldwater but if a senior or sophomore or junior are on the same talent level, I think the senior should play. It is his last chance to play and he can provide senior leadership and has more experience. That just makes sense to me.
You and that yappster is presuming that the SR is on the same talent level. Unless you are in the coaching room, breaking down film, seeing practice every day and have 100% visibility on the player and his ability then we need to rely on the coaching staff.

If the program was garbage then maybe one can question things, but there is only one program in the state of Ohio that has been more successful than this one in the last 20 years so this staff deserves the benefit of the doubt and we as fans have to expect they wholeheartedly are doing what they can to put the right players in the right positions to achieve our desired results----Wins.

No one is perfect, that is for sure, but this coaching staff has my and should have everyone in the community's support. Their track record speaks for itself.

The 'last chance to play' argument is good for senior night, but not valid for the playoffs. If he is good enough, then this coaching staff will have him in there.

You are correct in saying that the coaches see these kids all the time and watch the films. I have practiced for several years with these seniors when they were underclassmen to my senior class. Some of the names that you do not hear are not bad football players and unless some major regression happened over the summer then I don't understand it. I guess being removed from the locker room for a little while has clouded my vision. I am all about putting my faith in the community that raised me and that I got to grow up representing. I only wish that when I was playing, that I could experience some of the rejections that I have witnessed. Maybe it would have helped me become more humble?

You and that yappster is presuming that the SR is on the same talent level. Unless you are in the coaching room, breaking down film, seeing practice every day and have 100% visibility on the player and his ability then we need to rely on the coaching staff.

If the program was garbage then maybe one can question things, but there is only one program in the state of Ohio that has been more successful than this one in the last 20 years so this staff deserves the benefit of the doubt and we as fans have to expect they wholeheartedly are doing what they can to put the right players in the right positions to achieve our desired results----Wins.

No one is perfect, that is for sure, but this coaching staff has my and should have everyone in the community's support. Their track record speaks for itself.

The 'last chance to play' argument is good for senior night, but not valid for the playoffs. If he is good enough, then this coaching staff will have him in there.

Oh I believe that Coach Otten is making the right decision, he is a really good guy and an all time great coach. I was just trying to say that in some circumstances, coaches will play an underclassman over a senior to prepare for next year, when a senior will help them in the now.

Oh I believe that Coach Otten is making the right decision, he is a really good guy and an all time great coach. I was just trying to say that in some circumstances, coaches will play an underclassman over a senior to prepare for next year, when a senior will help them in the now.
When the season is 'lost', i.e. no playoffs in sight then yeah, maybe that is the case. The only preparing a playoff team does for next year is getting them some reps in a playoff game when the situation dictates it.

My Gad, Coldwater lost two games on the season to two schools with a combined 3 losses. I know people are not used to seeing Coldwater lose let alone lose big, but the fact is this is not an overly talented Coldwater team. Anna has put up 40 plus pts. on every team they have played ( except ML ) including a D - 3 Fenwick team that def. Alter. Marion Local is better than I thought and executed a very good defensive plan vs. the Cavs. Sometimes the other teams deserve some if not a lot of credit. I doubt if CW wins D - 6 but I would be surprised if the Cavs do not win their next two games. However Otten along with Goodwin are the top 2 coaches in the West Ohio area with out question.

So...can anyone give us that don't know much about Coldwater, except for their rich tradition and history, some insight as to how they had such a successful season? Who are the key players, such as the 2 BGSU recruits, what type of offense do they run, defensive philosophy???

The game is 3 days away and all we non-Coldwater fans/former players have heard is how the sky is falling and the school board may have to cancel the football program if the Cavs suffer a 3rd loss...

So...can anyone give us that don't know much about Coldwater, except for their rich tradition and history, some insight as to how they had such a successful season? Who are the key players, such as the 2 BGSU recruits, what type of offense do they run, defensive philosophy???

The game is 3 days away and all we non-Coldwater fans/former players have heard is how the sky is falling and the school board may have to cancel the football program if the Cavs suffer a 3rd loss...

On offense they run a base 11 players. On each play the QB touches the ball and disseminates it out to the player that the coach designates.

As far as 2 BGSU recruits. Nah. One kid is pretty good but his best sport is baseball.

The Cavaliers will show up Friday night, do their best and if they win, they will be happy but if they lose, they wont be so happy.

10- Jake Hemmelgarn Quarterback/Cornerback. If he is getting any offer, it is for defense. Not offense. He is the fastest kid on the team.

86- Noah Miller 6' 5" Tight end. D1 caliber baseball player. If given the opportunity to play both sports in college, I bet he'll do it

7- Myles Blasingame. Utility player/Saftey He is our best defender.

2- Zack Mckibben. Quickest receiver we have. Also lines up in the backfield.

18- Will Broering Tall outside receiver

35- Nate Grieshop. Running back/Outside Linebacker. Comes from a lineage of football players.

55- Russell Klosterman. Middle Linebacker. Comes up and hits.

1- Ross Weigel. Wide receiver/Saftey. Has good bursts of speed. Makes his presence more known on defense but if you sleep on him, he'll make you pay on offense.

31- Josh Hrycko Outside Linebacker. Probably our best Linebacker.

66- Blake Dippold. Kicker/Defensive Tackle. 1st team all state Kicker. Tore ACL last week.

Offense: Gun/Pro style
Defense: Multiple formation. Love 4/4

www.Cavfootball.com

Last edited:
If anybody believes that HS coaches including Otten & Goodwin don't play underclassmen in the place of an equally talented senior to prep for the next year, you are naive. If seen it many time over the years.

10- Jake Hemmelgarn Quarterback/Cornerback. If he is getting any offer, it is for defense. Not offense. He is the fastest kid on the team.

86- Noah Miller 6' 5" Tight end. D1 caliber baseball player. If given the opportunity to play both sports in college, I bet he'll do it

7- Myles Blasingame. Utility player/Saftey He is our best defender.

2- Zack Mckibben. Quickest receiver we have. Also lines up in the backfield.

18- Will Broering Tall outside receiver

35- Nate Grieshop. Running back/Outside Linebacker. Comes from a lineage of football players.

55- Russell Klosterman. Middle Linebacker. Comes up and hits.

1- Ross Weigel. Wide receiver/Saftey. Has good bursts of speed. Makes his presence more known on defense but if you sleep on him, he'll make you pay on offense.

31- Josh Hrycko Outside Linebacker. Probably our best Linebacker.

66- Blake Dippold. Kicker/Defensive Tackle. 1st team all state Kicker. Got injured last week.

Offense: Gun/Pro style
Defense: Multiple formation. Love 4/4

www.Cavfootball.com

When Wapak scrimmaged you guys, the players that stood out to me were 2 as he was incredibly quick, and 86, for a big man he could go up and get the ball. He mossed our sophomore corner who will probably be an all conference/district player once he matures. Also the middle linebacker just wreaked havoc every where. I didn’t see much of Hemmelgarn as the QB was down by touch.

When Wapak scrimmaged you guys, the players that stood out to me were 2 as he was incredibly quick, and 86, for a big man he could go up and get the ball. He mossed our sophomore corner who will probably be an all conference/district player once he matures. Also the middle linebacker just wreaked havoc every where. I didn’t see much of Hemmelgarn as the QB was down by touch.
Msml and Anna was able to man up and blitz often to stop CW on offense. The key for victory is of CW can hit a few big plays early if Archbold tries to use that blueprint.

Totally wrong. Please don't disseminate incorrect information.

Interesting story about Delta. they had a running back, Nate Kmic, who rushed for over 8,000 yards in college at set the all levels rushing records in college footbal while at Mt Union. Kid was electric, and small 5'9".

He played professionally overseas for a few years after college

I presume if he was a different demographic he would have been highly sought after by the big colleges but that is just my personal opinion.
and now you know the REST OF THE STORY.....that dude was a STUD for MT union

WTF??? I can't imagine any coach in the NWOAL doing a coaches show like that...maybe I am wrong but what the h**l is that?!?! Does he do this every week???

WTF??? I can't imagine any coach in the NWOAL doing a coaches show like that...maybe I am wrong but what the h**l is that?!?! Does he do this every week???

They take their football very seriously in the West Central part of the state. There is a reason why they win state titles like most schools win conference titles.

They take their football very seriously in the West Central part of the state. There is a reason why they win state titles like most schools win conference titles.
It helps alumni keep in touch with the program while they spread across the country and world. I kept up with it quite a bit when I was overseas.

I've had the pleasure of interviewing several MAC coaches over the years (Otten, Reed, Goodwin, Schulte, Starkey, Stokes, Olwin). It's some of the best interviews you will ever get. Only one of those coaches didn't like talking to media, or at least showed it, I won't name any names but he was a real wildcat. ?

It helps alumni keep in touch with the program while they spread across the country and world. I kept up with it quite a bit when I was overseas.

I love it. I wish more schools would do it. I'll PM you a link to my hometown's football page. It's the same thing, and un-coincidentally, they dominate my home state too.

Ok so with all of the video floating around on the web I asked an old college buddy of mine in Celina what he knew about Coldwater. He sent me a link to a couple of Coldwater games...forget the 2-3 TD predictions.

After watching that film on Coldwater, wow, there is no one in the NWOAL who plays that fast or physical...this game will be a running clock in the 2nd half...don't think I am making the trip over to Archbold for this one...

Ok so with all of the video floating around on the web I asked an old college buddy of mine in Celina what he knew about Coldwater. He sent me a link to a couple of Coldwater games...forget the 2-3 TD predictions.

After watching that film on Coldwater, wow, there is no one in the NWOAL who plays that fast or physical...this game will be a running clock in the 2nd half...don't think I am making the trip over to Archbold for this one...
Yeah. Good one.
HE show the the Anna and MSML game? Mind you, those were two of the last three.....

Way to psych yourself out.

Watching the 1st half of the Wauseon Archbold game. If we dont get pressure from our front 7, we will look similar to the last 3 weeks. Offensively Archbold looks like a Coldwater and Anna hybrid. Noah Gomez runs hard. They are efficient on offense. I dont have a good feeling about this one. If Coldwater don't wake up, we'll be packing up.

Last edited:
I wasn't very excited about tonight, until this morning!
It's playoff football Friday! Hope to be making the over 3 hour trip this evening. Casual Friday has afforded me the ability to sport my Cavalier garb. Another person here always rolls his eyes as he just does not understand town and school loyalty. He attended 4 schools in 6 years trying to chase that scholly, chase that glory and chase that title......to no avail. I feel sorry for the dude though as he doesn't have life long teammates and memories in his sporting world.

We will see what tonight brings. Should be good weather, maybe a little chilly for fans (Mmmmmmm Chili) but for the players it will be just fine. CW and Arcbhold have met in the postseason in basketball and baseball this calendar year and each time Coldwater has come out with the upset.

Will it be a hat trick? Who knows, Archbold seems pretty damned tough with a ton of athletes and revenge(squared) on their minds.

Go Cavs. Do it for your teammates, your coaches, your family, your school, your town, your alumni and do it for........Mr. Shane Homan.

God Bless.

Back to the game. Drew Pasteur has us by 4 and Calpreps said this:

neutral field
[2019] Coldwater (OH) 31, [2019] Archbold (OH) 26

If we come out and play like we're capable of playing, we can win this. We have to come out firing out of the gate and STOP the run. Come on I don't want to see us eliminated in the 1st round.